New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Monk why does this suck?

Everyone says that monks suck. I don't see why. With the Fist of the forest PrC In complete champion you can add you con to your AC. If you get an okay str. good wis good dex and great Con you can get an amazing ac. True they don't deal the damage of wizard or the have skillmonkeyness of a rouge, but it can t get hit. I made a lvl 10 Monk with 35 ac. Why do people not love this class?
    Why on earth do druids and monks have diplomacy?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Monk why does this suck?

35 AC by level 10 is not that awesome. At that level, a gish can get higher AC and he would still be useful.

Also, this week's monk thread is late.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Sigh" yet another thread like this. Is it that time of the month already? No offense but there has been thread upon thread discussing this topic...

To refute the AC point, AC becomes much less valuable later on as monsters get SLAs and casting levels which can seriously fork over your monk as most spells are wont to do too meleers.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

1. 35 AC on level 10 is not that impressive for an AC-focused build.
    2. This character's bad at everything but AC. AC matters less and less the higher you go in levels. Furthermore, you just encourage enemies to completely ignore you and go for the squishier party members instead.
    3. You need four high stats and a very strong prestige class to turn the monk into something barely decent. With the same statblock you could turn any other class into a paragon of whatever it's supposed to do.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Didn't we have one last sunday or something? I vote that this thread is early, not late.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

6. - Top - End - #6

Is it that time of the week again? I may as well scratch the tip of the iceberg.

• Most class features replicate things that other classes have been doing since lower levels.
    • Flurry of Blows can't be used in the same round as their impressive speed, making two of their signature abilities mutually exclusive.
    • Needs good scores in pretty much everything to survive.
    • Finally, I remember seeing a quote somewhere on this board: "Monks are a defensive class in a game dominated by powerful offensive options. You still need a rocket to win at rocket tag, even if you're better at dodging rockets than most."
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    'Adding up numbers' is completely independent of roleplay. What you're saying makes as much sense as "peeling a banana is not a good way to drive."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by LordShotGun View Post
    "Sigh" yet another thread like this. Is it that time of the month already? No offense but there has been thread upon thread discussing this topic...
    i though we had another day before monkday

Monks suck cause their damage isn't as good as a fighter and their class abilities cancel each other out. oh and the fact that a wizard can do the same things with spells levels earlier

EDIT: ninja'ed so hard my head spun
    Last edited by DragonOfUndeath; 2010-11-06 at 06:49 PM.
    call me Dragon

I have left this site for a while. I probablt wont be coming back.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Monk is a fantastic two-level class. Fist of the Forest is a fantastic 1-level PrC. I don't know what anyone has against either one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Monks are fun.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Monk is a fantastic two-level class. Fist of the Forest is a fantastic 1-level PrC. I don't know what anyone has against either one.
    its not a class its a dip. Monks suck as a straight class and most of the things a Monk does can and will be replicated with minimal effort by most/all other classes
    call me Dragon

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's always good to see some people deriving satisfaction from one aspect of their otherwise pitiful lives.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Sigh, I wish we'd have a stickied Monk thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Half-orc Bard View Post
    If you get an okay str. good wis good dex and great Con you can get an amazing ac.
    This is precisely why. You need lots of good stats to be any good.

Also, they have a whole bunch of abilities that don't synergize. Flurry of Blows needs a full attack. If you full attack, you can't really use your speed. Also, you'll probably miss a lot.

Finally, all of their "martial arts" talents (which consist entirely of hitting lots of times, pressure points [Stunning Fist, if you take it] and the really lame Quivering Palm) are more effectively performed by the Swordsage, which has the same flavor but far more versatility, as it can do Judo throws, rock-breaking punches, jumping attacks, pressure point strikes, and even kill things with fire.

Monk is great 2-level dip, since it grants bonus feats while skipping the prerequisites. Monk/Swordsage is great if you want to build a Setting Sun Unarmed Swordsage.
    Last edited by AslanCross; 2010-11-06 at 07:00 PM.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Just to save time:

Giacomo: Monks are as strong as wizards with UMD and partially charged wands.

[Respected forum members]: No they are not.

Giacomo: Yes they are. You all just abuse the rules.

[Rfm]: No u

G: No u

Repeat until someone challenges G to duel, which then never happens.
    What I learned from Bioshock:
    1. Unregulated freemarket capitalism leads, inevitably, to zombies. Genetically modified, super-zombies. This is an incontrovertible law of nature and should be taken into account whenever economic planning is done at a national level. The next time you meet a hardcore capitalist, just ask them if they are pro-zombie and see what they have to say for them self.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

okay I'm wondering if there are hand wrappings in other games making it able to put magic weapon enchantments on your unarmed strike. That might of tiped the scale a little bit.
    Why on earth do druids and monks have diplomacy?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

ahem. swordsage aaaannndddd.... out

EDIT: I thought it needed and ahem
    Last edited by rokar4life; 2010-11-07 at 01:31 PM.

Originator of Snorlax for ... Keep the faith.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by newD&Dfan View Post
    its not a class its a dip. Monks suck as a straight class and most of the things a Monk does can and will be replicated with minimal effort by most/all other classes
    That was the joke, yes.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

17. - Top - End - #17

okay I'm wondering if there are hand wrappings in other games making it able to put magic weapon enchantments on your unarmed strike. That might of tiped the scale a little bit.
    Necklace of Natural Weapons is your best bet.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

The Ki Straps from Magic Item Compendium make your Stunning Fist stronger.
    The Amulet of Mighty Fists grants an enhancement bonus.

But Magic Weapon properties? The only way I know to get those on a Monk's fists is the Kensai. The funny thing is that wow, the point of the class is that you can kill stuff with your fists---but you need magic items or a PrC's class features to catch up with the fighter with a flaming sword! In other words, the Monk doesn't really give what it says it gives.
    Last edited by AslanCross; 2010-11-06 at 07:09 PM.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

19. - Top - End - #19

I believe the argument, like most arguments that belittle a class, revolve around "there's more to do in a dungeon than hit things" whether it be with a sword, with a fist or with a horse.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    I believe the argument, like most arguments that belittle a class, revolve around "there's more to do in a dungeon than hit things" whether it be with a sword, with a fist or with a horse.
    Who hits things with horses?

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    FotF is fine for all 3 levels, actually. It's quite the good class overall. Monk on the other hand...

Ok, the fundamental issue with Monk is:
    - He's supposed to hit things but he only has medium BAB.
    - He needs a huge number of high stats to shine (Str, Dex, Wis, Con and to lesser extent, Int) but the game only has limited stat allotment.
    - Even if he has all 18s, he can still only focus on pumping one of the key stats with level-ups and all.

As JaronK likes to say, it's a well-designed class...for its own power level. Design-wise, it has a constant stream of (more or less) flavorful abilities and no dead levels. The issue is that its power level is below that of even the other martial characters though, let alone casters. Note that these criticisms only apply to single-classed Monks; as stated, the first two levels are excellent and 6 levels have something going on for them.

The issue is all the other levels. The next ability that's actually worth taking class levels for comes on 11 and then you just get nothing (Spell Resistance is, unfortunately, both worse than what the spell by the same name gives you, and less impressive than what it sounds like). There are other problems but that's the crux of it.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    Man, I want to kill someone by hitting them with a horse.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Monks are bad because...

• They get a large pile of very situational abilities that don't have anything to do with one another and don't synergise in any notable way.
    • They require decent stats in Str, Dex, Con and Wis while actually seeing weaker return on investing in them than more focused classes.
    • Your fists are a merely *decent* weapon that are difficult to enhance, and with your BAB aren't as effective as they might be. The best you can hope for is to optimize like crazy to get damage merely on par with a totally unoptimized Barbarian using a two-handed greatsword and Power Attack. I can see Monk's unarmed progression, in some scenarios, being a fun and flavorful trade for weapon proficiencies. As your main class feature, it just plain sucks.
    • Flurry of Misses. Medium BAB and an unexceptional Strength bonus hurts.
    • Because you need so many different stats, your AC from Wisdom and Dex combined is rarely going to even compensate for simple armor. Yet another primary class feature that loses you something almost everyone gets and fails to even keep up with what you lost. You have all high saves and fast movement, though. Hopefully they make up for your difficult-to-improve AC and mediocre hit points.
    • Being a survival-focused character might be nice individually, but when you are working with a group of people to win battles as a team, keeping yourself safe fails as a strategy. You can't even force people to target you instead of your allies and you don't rate high enough on the threat list for enemies to bother killing you when your allies seem capable of causing them far more harm.
    • The final nail in the coffin is that a couple of other options steal all of a Monks (situationally) desirable abilities and give them to classes that can do things with them. Notably the Unarmed Swordsage is a truer-to-flavor Monk that has strong offensive and defensive options; comparing them is like comparing a Fighter to a Fighter variant that gets twice as many feats at no extra cost - one of them is simply and objectively superior. Tashalatora is a feat that adds what is equivalent to a Monk gestalt to any psionic class you want. That means, basically, that psychic spellcasters, who are already way better than Monks in every respect, get to take all of his stuff for almost nothing. The worst part about all of this is that these options aren't even used most of the time because their superiority to weapons and armor is highly suspect.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2010-11-06 at 07:19 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Hulking Hurlers.

Or trebuchets.

...make that dead, rotting horses and you've got a siege engine.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    drunken masters?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Ever hear the expression "beating a dead horse"? It's really a shortened version of "beating someone with a dead horse".

No horses were harmed in the typing of this post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    No horses were harmed in the typing of this post.
    what about in the inspiration for this post?
    call me Dragon

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    Monks are bad because...

• Flurry of Misses. Medium BAB and an unexceptional Strength bonus hurts.
    Don't forget that you need full attack to use Flurry...which means you can't use Monk's speed. That, and you can't use it first round of the combat. That alone makes Flurry just very meh. Not to mention the fact that since enhancing Monk's attacks is hard, that's further detrimental for the attack bonus.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Real DM's makes monks work.

or you know... just DM for noobs and give monks full BaB.
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Shademan View Post
    Real DM's makes monks work.

or you know... just DM for noobs and give monks full BaB.
    That doesn't make Monk any good, though.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective