New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: More Dinosaurs than Isla Nublar (okay, not really, PEACH)

Still working on the NPC/Organization. My main question is: do you want me to continue that tomorrow, or finish up the prestige class and monster already posted first?

Also, I found the Savagasaurus other at dicefreaks. I like the stats. DO you think it would be rude of me to just post fluff to go along with the stats here?
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-02-21 at 07:15 PM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Bhu, I'm not sure whether I should love or hate you.

That is enough material to keep me going for months. I'm only up to Nearartic Realm, but these creatures are excellent, and I must stat them out.

I guess the Demiplane of Oz can wait another 4-5 months.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, Bhu!
    Ok, you have to do the Gestalt. They sound kind of ant like...
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

You read my mind. The Gestalt must be done. Formisaura is added to the list (along with many others).

Sorry its been so long since I've posted a creature/any material. Never run more than a single project at a time, trust me.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-02-22 at 07:40 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Survivor of the Sauric Isles is finished.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    You read my mind. The Gestalt must be done. Formisaura is added to the list (along with many others).

Sorry its been so long since I've posted a creature/any material. Never run more than a single project at a time, trust me.
    I know how you feel...
    Orcs and Goblins

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I'm sure you do. MOAR KITTEHS and Critters II are both extremely large in scope. I'm confused as to how you do it.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Sample NPC

Arval, Male Hornhead Saurial Soulknife 5/Survivor of the Sauric Isles 3
    Large Humanoid (Reptilian, Psionic)
    Hit Dice:
    2d8+5d10+3d10+70; Hit Points: 151
    Initiative: -1
    Speed: 30 ft.
    Armor Class: 18 (+5 breastplate, +5 nature, -1 Dex, -1 size), touch 8, flatfooted 18
    Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+19
    Attack: Huge Bastardsword Mindblade +11 melee (3d8+4 damage)
    Full Attack: Huge Bastardsword Mindblade +11/+5 melee (3d8+4 damage)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft. (10 ft. with tail)
    Special Attacks: Mindblade, Throw Mindblade, Psychic Strike
    Special Qualities: Saurial Traits, Powerful Build, Survivor Tactics
    Saves: Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +9
    Abilities: Str 18, Dex 8, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 10
    Skills: Hide -4, Intimidate +13, Knowledge (Nature) +9, Listen +15, Spot +15, Survival +15
    Feats: Combat Reflexes, Cleave, Improved Toughness, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Mindblade), Wild Talent
    Environment: Warm forest
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 9
    Alignment: Neutral Evil

Out from the underbrush rushes a large Hornhead. He has bruises and scars all over, the most prominent being three half-healed wounds on its frill, seemingly caused by the claws of some species of raptor. In his hands is a massive sword made of glowing green energy.

Even in the most welcoming of communities, there are outcasts. Arval is one example. Even in early childhood, he was distinguished from other Saurial children for one reason: his ability to create psychic impulses. The village elders saw this as an unnatural evolution of the Saurial brain.

Because of this "unnatural evolution," Arval ("cried over" in Draconic) was severely beaten and oppressed. He was not allowed to use his psionic power, and was threatened with banishment were he to ever be found practicing them. For a while, he obeyed, but eventually he began to feel the need practice his innate talent. Surely he had been given such power for a reason? What if he was the next stage of evolution for his race?

In secret, he would leave his village in the middle of the night and practice. Eventually, he was able to focus his psionic energy into the form of a glowing green, semi-corporeal knife. He continued to practice, and practice, until he had soon learned the art of shaping the blade into various shapes and sizes, and he became adept at fighting with it.

Eventually, his older brother found out, and he told the village elders. Arval was banished, and, in a burst of anger, slew his brother with his mindblade. In the ensuing chaos, his ex-neighbors gathered weapons and formed a mob, intent on slaughtering the supposedly vile hornhead. By that point, however, he was long gone, lost in the surrounding jungle.

He spent months helpless, avoiding the larger predators and killing any smaller ones that dared attack him with his mindblade. Eventually, a pack of Guanlong nearly got the better of him. Although he chased them off, it left three nasty gashes on his frill that still haven't fully healed to this day.

It was at this point that Arval noticed the ways the large herbivores survived. Intrigued, he observed them and eventually started to emulate them, in an attempt to learn how to survive in the merciless wild. He has succeeded, and now he slaughters all intelligent creatures that come within one mile of his home, least they report his whereabouts to his village.

Combat
    When preparing for combat, he spends a full round action shaping his mindblade into the form of a huge bastard sword, which he wields as a two-handed weapon. He surprised, he settles for the weapon's normal shape, a huge shortsword. Arval fights to the death, hoping that the tactics he studied off of the behavior of ceratopsids are enough to keep him alive.

Mindblade (Su): As a free action, Arval can create a semisolid blade composed of psychic energy distilled from his own mind. The blade is identical in all ways (except visually) to a huge short sword, which deals 2d6 damage (crit 19-20/×2). Arval gains the usual benefits to his attack roll and damage roll from a high Strength bonus. The blade has a +1 magical enhancement bonus.

The blade can be broken (it has hardness 10 and 10 hit points); however, Arval can simply create another as a free action (he can recreate his weapon once per round). The moment he relinquishes his grip on his blade, it dissipates (unless he intends to throw it; see below). A mindblade is considered a magic weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

A soulknife can use feats such as Power Attack or Combat Expertise in conjunction with the mind blade just as if it were a normal weapon. He can also choose mind blade for feats requiring a specific weapon choice, such as Weapon Specialization. Powers or spells that upgrade weapons can be used on a mind blade.

Even in places where psionic effects do not normally function (such as within a null psionics field), a soulknife can attempt to sustain his mind blade by making a DC 20 Will save. On a successful save, the soulknife maintains his mind blade for a number of rounds equal to his class level before he needs to check again. On an unsuccessful attempt, the mind blade vanishes. As a move action on his turn, the soulknife can attempt a new Will save to rematerialize his mind blade while he remains within the psionics negating effect.

Throw Mindblade (Ex): Arval can throw his mind blade as a ranged weapon with a range increment of 30 feet. Whether or not the attack hits, a thrown mind blade then dissipates. He can also make a psychic strike (see below) with a thrown mind blade and can use the blade in conjunction with other special abilities (such as Knife to the Soul; see below).

Psychic Strike (Su): As a move action, Arval can imbue his mind blade with destructive psychic energy. This effect deals an extra 1d8 points of damage to the next living, nonmindless target he successfully hits with a melee attack (or ranged attack, if he is using the throw mind blade ability). Creatures immune to mind-affecting effects are immune to psychic strike damage. (Unlike the rogue’s sneak attack, the psychic strike is not precision damage and can affect creatures otherwise immune to extra damage from critical hits or more than 30 feet away, provided they are living, nonmindless creatures not immune to mind-affecting effects.)

Arval deals this extra damage only once when this ability is called upon, but he can imbue his mind blade with psychic energy again by taking another move action.

Once Arval has prepared his blade for a psychic strike, it holds the extra energy until it is used. Even if he drops the mind blade (or it otherwise dissipates, such as when it is thrown and misses), it is still imbued with psychic energy when the soulknife next materializes it.

Shape Mindblade (Su): Arval can change the form of his mindblade. As a full round action, he can change his mindblade to replicate a huge longsword (damage 3d6, wielded as a one-handed weapon) or a bastard sword (damage 3d8, but he must wield it as a two-handed weapon unless he knows the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bastard sword) feat). If he shapes his mind blade into the form of a bastard sword and wields it two-handed, he adds 1˝ times his Strength bonus to his damage rolls, just like when using any other two-handed weapon.

Alternatively, Arval can split his mind blade into two identical huge short swords, suitable for fighting with a weapon in each hand. (The normal penalties for fighting with two weapons apply.) However, both mind blades lose the enhancement bonus.

Survival Tactics: Arval can walk at full speed even when wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load. Arval gains a number of bonus hit points per level equal to his Constitution modifier (already included). Arval gains the benefits of Powerful Build (see below).

Powerful Build (Ex): The physical stature of Arval lets him function in many ways as if he was one size category larger. Whenever he is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), he is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. Arval is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. Arval can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-02-23 at 11:05 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Just looked over the finished Survivor PrC.
    I'd make a joke concerning "Outwit, outplayrun, outlast", but I think it comes without saying
    Actually, considering that, why not make a third survival tactic for "outwit"?

But, as it is... I can't find anything wrong with it.
    I was going to rag you about your agile survivor's second level ability, but then I looked at the prereq's again.
    Good work .

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you. I'm just sorry it took so long for a measily 3 level prestige class.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't worry about it. Most multi-path classes take longer than classes with more levels.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Bezoar
    {table=head] | Infant | Adult
    | Tiny Aberration | Huge Aberration
    Hit Dice: | 2d8 | 18d8
    Initiative: | +10 | +4
    Speed: | 30 ft. | 0 ft. (Immobile)
    [/table]

Fixed table for you.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, spelling mistake.

Good point with the speed, that should make it more clear. The Bezoars should be finished eventually (I know, I've been saying that for a while now )

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

New Dino discovered in Utah. It's latin name means Thunder Thighs. I thought it might be fun for you to make.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

A sauropod specializing in kicking. That can be fun.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

*Boots plush raptors around*
    Ok, we all liked to pretend we were dinos when we were kids, just trying to relieve some tension by pretending to be that new one.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Arval, the Neutral Evil Hornhead Soulknife/Survivor of the Sauric Isles is finished.

Arval is a Latin word, so it fits with the Draconic names from my campaign setting. That's not why I chose it. It also means "cried over" in Welsh. I thought it fit, especially on how miserable his powers made his village feel.

Not that my players will ever realize/appreciate this.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Cool fact, though. And that's a pretty powerful backstory.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Cool fact, though. And that's a pretty powerful backstory.
    Especially since the players are probably just going to cut him down in a round or two and collect the reward from the village, before even bothering to listen to what he has to say on the matter.

If you're interested, Arval was an anomaly created by Yuan-Ti breeding experiments. Because of the divine intervention of the Saurial god, evolution doesn't occur in the area Arval calls home, so his powers makes him even more of a freak than usual psychic.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-02-23 at 11:22 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I'm sure you do. MOAR KITTEHS and Critters II are both extremely large in scope. I'm confused as to how you do it.
    I need something to take my mind off my own impending extinction.
    Orcs and Goblins

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

In the middle of researching/watching documentaries about Ornithocheirus. I'll get back to the bezoar, eventually.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Ornithocheirus
    Large Animal
    Hit Dice:
    6d8+12 (39 hp)
    Initiative: +5
    Speed: 10 ft., Fly 90 ft. (average)
    Armor Class: 20 (+6 natural, +5 Dex, -1 size), touch 14, flatfooted 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+11
    Attack: Bite +9 melee (1d8+3 damage)
    Full Attack: Bite +9 melee (1d8+3 damage)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Dive
    Special Qualities: Lowlight vision
    Saves: Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +5
    Abilities: Str 17, Dex 20, Con 15, Int 1, Wis 16, Cha 11
    Skills: Spot +12
    Feats: Weapon Finesse, Flyby Attack, Power Dive*
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement: 7-12 HD (Large); 13-24 HD (Gargantuan)
    Level Adjustment: -----
    *Savage Species

A large pterosaur flies in the open sky above. It knocks into a small pterosaur, forcing it to drop its meal, before catching the abandoned fish in its oddly curved beak.

Ornithocheirus is a massive pterosaur with a colossal wingspan. Ornithocheirs are generally solitary, flying vast distances across the world in search of temporary homes and food. Once per year, however, they migrate back to their breeding grounds for mating season.

Like all pterosaurs, the wings of an Ornithocheirus is made of a thin, membranous skin. Its wings are covered in matted fur, which helps keep it warm above the cool ocean currents that keep them airborne. Unfortunately, when wet, an Ornithocheirus cannot fly, so it must be extremely careful when flying directly above the water and during rainstorms.

Combat
    Ornithocheirs generally don't have to engage in combat (most smaller pterosaurs are intimidated by them), but, when forced, are more than capable of knocking targets prone and using their teethed beaks to tear at flesh.

Dive (Ex): If an Ornithocheirus makes a charge attack and lowers its altitude by at least 30 feet as part of the charge, it gains a +4 bonus on its attack roll and deals 2d8+6 points of damage with its bite if it hits.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-02-24 at 03:26 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Colossus in the Playground

The Walking With Dinosaurs one might qualify as Huge (by wingspan, though not weight- but most Huge and bigger fliers in D&D, like the Roc, are lighter than the normal minimums).

However- the largest creatures in that genus (sometimes classified as other genera) were only 20 ft in wingspan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ornithocheirus

So it might be closer to Medium or Large Pteranodon in statline.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2011-02-24 at 11:55 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

I see. I'll change the size to large, then.

EDIT: I just realized the Medium Pteranodon has more Hit Dice than the Large version... weird.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-02-24 at 03:01 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Cute picture.... what can I say, I'm a sucker for little reptilians (they're so much cuter than mammals, anyway ).

Nemicolopterus
    Diminutive Animal
    Hit Dice:
    1/4d8 (1 hp)
    Initiative: +7
    Speed: 5 ft., Fly 30 ft. (good)
    Armor Class: 21 (+4 size, +7 Dex), touch 21, flatfooted 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-16
    Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d2-4 damage)
    Full Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d2-4 damage)
    Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: -----
    Special Qualities: Lowlight vision
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +9, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 3, Dex 24, Con 11, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 15
    Skills: Spot +6, Climb +11
    Feats: Flyby Attack, Weapon Finesse(B)
    Environment: Warm Forests
    Organization: Solitary, Pair, or Flight (5-15)
    Challenge Rating: 1/4
    Advancement: 1-2 HD (Diminutive)

A group of small pterosaurs flutter through the tree branches above, eating small insects. On lands on a branch a couple feet away, observing you for a couple seconds before flying back to the rest of the little creatures.

Nemicolopters are small flying reptilians found in vermin-infested jungles. They are harmless to most creatures, merely hunting down small bugs for the most part. The feet of a Nemicolopterus are especially adapted for grasping branches and climbing, similar to birds and bats. Their beaks are highly evolved. Though they lack teeth, the beaks are very similar to those of birds, and very good at snatching bugs mid-air.

Combat
    A Nemicoloterus is more likely to flee than fight.

Skills: A Nemicolopterus has a +4 bonus to Climb checks. Climb checks made by a Nemicolopterus uses its Dexterity modifier rather than its Strength.

Feats: A Nemicolopterus has Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat.

Nemicolopters as Familiars
    Occasionally, a spell caster chooses a Nemicolopterus as a familiar. They grant their masters a +3 bonus to climb checks.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-02-25 at 08:40 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Swarm, Nemicolopterus
    Diminutive Animal (Swarm)
    Hit Dice:
    4d8 (18 hp)
    Initiative: +7
    Speed: 5 ft., Fly 30 ft. (good)
    Armor Class: 21 (+4 size, +7 Dex), touch 21, flatfooted 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/---
    Attack: Swarm (1d6 damage)
    Full Attack: Swarm (1d6 damage)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Distraction
    Special Qualities: Lowlight vision, swarm traits
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +9, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 3, Dex 24, Con 11, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 15
    Skills: Spot +6, Climb +11
    Feats: Flyby Attack, Weapon Finesse(B)
    Environment: Warm Forests
    Organization: Solitary, or Migration (4-8 swarms)
    Challenge Rating: 1
    Advancement: -----

Sometimes, Nemicolopters gather in groups to better protect themselves from predators such as Tapejara and Ornithocheirus.

Combat
    A Nemicoloterus is more likely to flee than fight, but, when panicked, swarm their attacker.

Distraction (Ex): Any living creature vulnerable to a swarm’s damage that begins its turn with a swarm in its square is nauseated for 1 round; a Fortitude save (DC 12) negates the effect. Spellcasting or concentrating on spells within the area of a swarm requires a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level). Using skills that involve patience and concentration requires a DC 20 Concentration check.

Swarm Traits: Immunity to weapons damage, vulnerable to area effects, immunity to mind affecting effects, not subject to critical hits or flanking. Cannot be tripped, bull rushed, or grappled (they cannot grapple, either). Susceptible to gust of wind.

Skills: A Nemicolopterus has a +4 bonus to Climb checks. Climb checks made by a Nemicolopterus uses its Dexterity modifier rather than its Strength.

Feats: A Nemicolopterus has Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Up next is Utahraptor. I'm basing this off of the 21 ft. raptor, not the reported 35 ft. animal (although you'll be able to advance them that large). So, Utahraptors are 6 ft. tall (Medium size), but 21 ft. long (Huge size). I'll meet in the middle and call 'em large. Any objections?

Utahraptor
    Large Animal
    Hit Dice:
    9d8+45 (85 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 50 ft.
    Armor Class: 19 (+9 natural, +1 Dex, -1 size), touch 10, flatfooted 18
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+16
    Attack: Talons +11 melee (2d6+6 damage)
    Full Attack: Talons +11 melee (2d6+6 damage), and 2 foreclaws +6 melee (1d4+3 damage), and bite +6 melee (1d8+3 damage)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Chokehold
    Special Qualities: Scent, Lowlight vision
    Saves: Fort +11, Ref +7, Will +5
    Abilities: Str 23, Dex 13, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 10
    Skills: Move Silently +13
    Feats: Excellent Grasper, Disembowel, Improved Scent
    Environment: Warm Plains
    Organization: Solitary, Pair, or Pack (4-6)
    Challenge Rating: 7
    Advancement: 10-18 (Large); 19-30 (Huge)

A large, feathered creature rushes out from the underbrush. It's light feathers are stained with blood, and large claws can be seen on its hands and feet. It is as tall as a human, but several times longer.

Utahraptors are large carnivorous dromeosaurids, specializing in hunting down larger prey. They often stalk herds of iguanodon and Brontomerus. Their sharp foot talons are adapted specifically for digging into flesh and grasping it, allowing it to latch onto prey with little chance of it escaping.

Utahraptors generally hunt in packs of three to four. Despite their aggresive behavior, they rarely walk out in the open grasslands, preferring to hide in the forests surrounding them.

Combat
    Utahraptors generally sneak up on their foes, before charging to attack. Most try to grab onto their foes to prevent their escape.

Choke-hold (Ex): When grappling with foes at least one size larger than themselves, Utahraptors wrap their mouths around the enemy's neck, dealing 2d8+6 damage every round the grapple is maintained.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Excellent Grasper [Monstrous]
    Some creatures are especially adept at grappling with larger foes.
    Prerequisites: Str 17, Dex 13
    Benefits: When attempting to grapple, your enemies do not gain the size modifier they usually do. For every size category larger they are compared to you, you gain a +4 circumstance bonus to grapple checks. You are unable to pin your opponent or drag it with you as you move. If an enemy attempts to escape a grapple, you gain a +4 bonus (in addition to the bonus mentioned above) on the check to prevent them from doing so.
    Normal: See grappling rules.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-03-01 at 09:20 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

None from me

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Colossus in the Playground

None from me. Weight fits, length to base rather than tip of tail (if treated as a quadruped) fits, height (if modelled as rearing up the way the animals in Jurassic Park do before coming into the kitchen) might top 8 ft, so fits.

Even the revised version of "megaraptor" in the SRD, is Large.

So, it should work.

Maybe it should have a fairly low reach value- if a 28 ft allosaurus is also Large.

Allowing the smaller Large biped dinosaurs, a 5 ft reach instead of the normal 10 ft reach, might help to make the variation in size within Large creatures, clear.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele