New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Most Cost Effective Cheap Items

According to the DMG, L7 characters generally have about 19,000gp. I play as the wealthiest character in my party, and my net worth is a little over 5% of that (1000). Considering I'm a charging Warblade, what are the best items for me that are worth less than 2500gp?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Most Cost Effective Cheap Items

Why do you have barely any money? It makes characters a lot weaker when they are that far below the wealth level. There's really not much you can buy for 1000 gold.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Anklets of Translocation (MIC, 1400g) are good for chargers. Swift action 10' teleport twice per day. You need 10' in order to charge someone, so if you charged them last round and they aren't dead, port back 10' and charge again! CHARGE!

Also, +1 weapon is 2k. +1 all saves is 1k, and if you use Diamond Mind stuff, +5 Concentration is 2500g even (Tunic of Steady Spellcasting, MIC).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

bolded items are Must Haves.

Bracers of armor +1, 1000gp, +1 enhancement bonus to AC
    Greatreach bracers, 2000gp, 3/day +10 ft. to reach for 1 round

Robe of bones, 2400gp, Create assorted undead creatures

Third eye surge, 2100gp, 3 charges/day, bonuses on Str- and Dex-based checks and weapon damage

Dimension stride boots, 2000gp, +2 on Jump; 5 charges/day, teleport up to 60 ft.

Brute gauntlets, 500gp, 3 charges/day, bonuses on Str checks, Str-based skill checks, melee damage
    Gauntlets of energy transformation, 1000gp, 3/day change energy type produced by any weapon you hold for 1 round
    Devastation gauntlets, 2000gp, 3 charges/day, bonus damage on critical hits
    Gauntlets of giantfelling, 2000gp, 3/day gain bonus on next damage roll against creature larger than you

Helm of battle, 2000gp, 3/day +2 on next bull rush, disarm, overrun, sunder, or trip attempt
    Watch lamp, 500gp, Creates torchlike light at shoulder

Ring of protection +1, 2000gp, +1 deflection bonus to AC
    Ring of feather falling, 2200gp, Triggers feather fall if you fall more than 5 ft.

Cloak of resistance +1, 1000gp, +1 resistance bonus on all saving throws
    Cape of the viper, 2000gp, 3 charges/day, transform into a viper for 7 rounds

Amber amulet of vermin, giant bee, 500gp, 1/day summons a giant bee to serve you for 1 minute
    Amulet of natural armor +1, 2000gp, +1 enhancement bonus to natural armor

Vest of resistance +1, 1000gp, +1 on saving throws
    Tunic of steady spellcasting, 2500gp, +5 on Concentration

Healing belt, 750gp, +2 on Heal; 3 charges, heal damage with a touch

Crystal of return, least - 300 gp - put this on all your weapons to draw them as free actions

Wondrous Items

Blessed bandage, 10gp each, Immediately stabilizes target
    Last edited by HunterOfJello; 2010-11-08 at 08:37 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Why do you have barely any money? It makes characters a lot weaker when they are that far below the wealth level. There's really not much you can buy for 1000 gold.
    My DM's chosen to run a REALLY low-wealth and low-magic campaign. I don't think anybody has bought or crafted anything of importance since CharGen.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Zawisza View Post
    My DM's chosen to run a REALLY low-wealth and low-magic campaign. I don't think anybody has bought or crafted anything of importance since CharGen.
    Do you have a masterwork armor and weapon already? Because those are what you absolutely can't be without. If you do, good, spend your money on something else, or making the armor magic. If not, definately get masterwork stuff.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    ...you're saying that if I go to heaven, I will find alcoholic bears waiting for me?

HELL! I CHOOSE HELL!

[GENERATION 16: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. This is a social experiment.]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

^ Not much useful under 2500 though.

With such a small budget you're pretty much stuck with masterwork weapons and armor, and random equipment listed in the Player's Handbook. Pitons, rope, locked gauntlets, climbing gear, oil, etc. Or the magic items section of the SRD sorts everything by price.

IMO expendables are highly underrated. Given that you only fight a few 5 round fights before each level, and you only use expendables for a small portion of those rounds, you're going to be done with an item eons before you use it 50 times and so the expendable version will be far cheaper for most things.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-11-09 at 02:14 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you don't have a Bag of Holding Type I or a Handy Haversack then grab one. The bag is 2500 gp and the sack is 2000 gp. When you get the chance also grab a Portable Hole for some fun with a bag of Holding.

The gray Bag of Tricks for 900 gp is also nice. You could pull out an animal to do a varity of things. The Weasel, Cat, and Badger can fight with the Badger being the deadlest. The rat and bat can be used for scouting. You can also use the animals for clearing traps.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, just check out shax's tread for great cheap expendable items for utilily value. It's the best you can do at this point.
    Just pick and choose to your liking and stuff it in a normal backpack.
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

At level 8, retrain one of your feats to Sacred Vow (BoED, retraining is in DMG2). Then at level 9 take Vow of Poverty.

VoP is a weak feat - when compared to WBL. When compared to a no magic item campaign, it is exceptionally powerful.

Proceed to not care about not getting money.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HunterOfJello View Post
    Healing belt, 750gp, +2 on Heal; 3 charges, heal damage with a touch
    +1 to this, and a HHH, if you have enough.
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2010-11-09 at 08:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

On the subject of low low prices: What where the costcuts for having items only function for specific classes/races/skillusers?
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

What have you been fighting that doesn't have any items of value on it? Non-humanoid monsters only?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I like Steadfast Boots from MIC. 1400 gp and you get a free attack at double damage against anyone who charges you. Also +4 vs. Trip, Bull Rush and the like.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

18. - Top - End - #18

does that stack with weapons that can be set against a charge?

Countdown to the zombie Apocalypse: braaaaaaains.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

It has to be a twohanded weapon and it has the effect of a braced spear. Though seeing it isnt actually that, spears would not get double+double=triple damage. Thats what I gather from it at least. So better with a glaive(and knockdown).

Handy links:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Anklets of Translocation (MIC, 1400g) are good for chargers everyone and their grandma.
    FTFY

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack217 View Post
    does that stack with weapons that can be set against a charge?
    As mentioned by Escheton, no.

It allows you to treat any two-handed weapon you're holding as readied against charge, and "deals double damage if your attack is successful, even if the weapon can't normally be readied against charge". I read that as not allowing double doubling.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    I like Steadfast Boots from MIC. 1400 gp and you get a free attack at double damage against anyone who charges you. Also +4 vs. Trip, Bull Rush and the like.
    I've nothing useful to add to this thread (it's all been said already).
    But I'm wondering, how would this work for some wielding a spiked chain, or a large creature with a nonreach weapon?
    Ordinarily they'd get an AOO when charged by a nonreach character. But if they've got reach, and the boots, would they get the AOO, and then the free attack for double damage?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

You would get 2 AoOs. No circumstance can ever provoke more than one AoO, but you've got 2 seperate circumstances here. One is entering a foes threatened area while charging (which provokes thanks to the boots) and one is leaving a threatened square.

It would be similar to if someone walked in a circle around you (provoke) and cast a spell (provoke). Two different circumstances, two different AoOs. Hope you got your Combat Reflexes ready!

Actually, scratch that, I have Steadfast Boots confused with Hold the Line. Hold the Line is an AoO, but Steadfast Boots allows you to be treated as "set of a charge", which is a type of special readied action. So, Steadfast Boots give you an extra standard action per round, essentially, under the condition that you can only use it to set for a charge (even if the weapon doesn't normally allow you to set it for a charge). Still, an extra standard action per round all day is pretty shnazzy for 1400g.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2010-11-09 at 04:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    Ordinarily they'd get an AOO when charged by a nonreach character. But if they've got reach, and the boots, would they get the AOO, and then the free attack for double damage?
    I believe they would get the free attack first (for a creature charging them) and then the AoO for the charging creature trying to leave the threatened square. (Unless you have the aforementioned Hold the Line, in which case you would get an AoO and the free attack when the enemy charges into a square within your reach, and then another AoO when it tries to leave.)
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Actually, scratch that, I have Steadfast Boots confused with Hold the Line. Hold the Line is an AoO, but Steadfast Boots allows you to be treated as "set of a charge", which is a type of special readied action. So, Steadfast Boots give you an extra standard action per round, essentially, under the condition that you can only use it to set for a charge (even if the weapon doesn't normally allow you to set it for a charge). Still, an extra standard action per round all day is pretty shnazzy for 1400g.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    I believe they would get the free attack first (for a creature charging them) and then the AoO for the charging creature trying to leave the threatened square. (Unless you have the aforementioned Hold the Line, in which case you would get an AoO and the free attack when the enemy charges into a square within your reach, and then another AoO when it tries to leave.)
    Sweet, and with an average of 72 on that free attack, I probably won't even need the AOO.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel404 View Post
    At level 8, retrain one of your feats to Sacred Vow (BoED, retraining is in DMG2). Then at level 9 take Vow of Poverty.

VoP is a weak feat - when compared to WBL. When compared to a no magic item campaign, it is exceptionally powerful.

Proceed to not care about not getting money.
    I'm trying to find the FULL rules of VoP online, but I can't seem to. Can someone either give me a link or summarize them? What can't you have, and what do you get to make up for it?

27. - Top - End - #27

this is gonna take a while...
    1st AC bonus +4
    2nd bonus exalted feat
    3rd Ac bonus + 5 endure elements
    4th exalted strike +1 (magic), bonus exalted feat
    5th sustinance
    6th AC bonus + 6 deflection + 1, bonus exalted feat
    7th Resistance + 1, ability score enhancement + 2
    8th Natural armor + 1, mind-shielding, bonus exalted feat
    9th Ac bonus + 7
    10th exalted strike good + 2, dr 5/magic, bonus exalted feat
    11th ability score enhancement +4/+2
    and it goes on and on but if you don't have access to BOED it becomes considerably weaker
    Last edited by blackjack217; 2010-11-09 at 08:12 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

this is gonna take a while...
    1st AC bonus +4
    2nd bonus exalted feat
    3rd Ac bonus + 5 endure elements
    4th exalted strike +1 (magic), bonus exalted feat
    5th sustinance
    6th AC bonus + 6 deflection + 1, bonus exalted feat
    and it goes on and on but if you don't have access to BOED it becomes considerably weaker
    Can you answer the other half of my question? What possessions are a-okay?

29. - Top - End - #29

no magic items, aren't there psionic items?
    Last edited by blackjack217; 2010-11-09 at 08:14 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

no magic items, aren't there psionic items?
    Magic items are the only outlawed possessions? So standard-issue items, weapons, and armor are fine?