New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Timekeeping in DnD

So, with all of the waterclocks and such, are there mechanical or magical clocks of any kind in DnD? I mean come on, a whole plane of CLOCKwork, there's gotta be rules for it somewhere right?

2. - Top - End - #2

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Timekeeping in DnD

Why would you need rules for that?

3. - Top - End - #3

What if you wanted a pocketwatch for keeping time underground? What about using timing to sync actions in a complex coordinated effort between multiple parties or adventurers? What about how the lack of common timing effects the impact of culture when it comes to dance and music especially in coordinated musical efforts-- a 1/4 beat theory might be more like a 0.31226 beat playing for a culture without standardized, dependable and well accessed timekeeping.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

So build one!

If you're the GM, you can put in an eccentric NPC who loves to build clocks of all kinds.

A serious clock would factor in a fundamental constant. Say, a clock based off the duration of a 1 round duration spell.

5. - Top - End - #5

I believe the words that PH used was, "what use is it knowing that it's 4 o'clock if no one else does?"

6. - Top - End - #6

Thats my point, is there rules to provide a slightly more advanced society in terms of the importance of time? What about Eberron?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaje View Post
    Why would you need rules for that?
    +1

Seriously, I don't understand what you need here. If you want to have a society that includes standardized timekeeping and easy access to timekeeping devices, what's stopping you? You can't do it unless somebody wrote about it in a book?

How about you explain in more detail exactly what you want rules for. Or at least how you think having a watch will affect the basic rules of the game.

EDIT: I also fail to see how not having a clock will adversely affect music. FYI, music predates accurate timekeeping by a huge timeframe.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2010-11-09 at 06:42 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

8. - Top - End - #8

I was just checking for pre-existing rules assuming there probably were some.

If not, simple fix.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

While Eberron does have a time and calendar system like other settings, there is no explicit mention of an actual clock. Given their penchant for orreries, I'd think that a small clock could be made to respond to say, the pulsing of a small Eberron dragonshard (like a quartz crystal), or something like the large, mechanical clocks we have. Larger clocks could be powered by the motion of the ring of Siberys, the orbits of the moons, or even the planes.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    Thats my point, is there rules to provide a slightly more advanced society in terms of the importance of time? What about Eberron?
    Have bell towers that chime the hour in inhabited places larger than thorps and hamlets.

You don't need rules, you just have it so that the NPCs have an understanding of seconds, minutes, hours, and probably the 24 hour day unless you want to get more exotic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

It'd be good for synchronized strikes. But then telepathic bonds remove that problem. There's also a navigation application: Namely the stars plus an accurate watch is what you need to figure out where you are east-west. North-south requires no clock b/c the earth isn't spinning that way. The only thing left is work and experiments for squeezing out every minute of efficiency and precision, which adventurers don't care about and which a water clock solves.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-11-09 at 07:32 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    It'd be good for synchronized strikes. But then telepathic bonds remove that problem. There's also a navigation application: Namely the stars plus an accurate watch is what you need to figure out where you are east-west. North-south requires no clock b/c the earth isn't spinning that way. The only thing left is work and experiments for squeezing out every minute of efficiency and precision, which adventurers don't care about and which a water clock solves.
    ALRIGHT TEAM! SYNCHRONIZE WATER CLOCKS..... NOW!

Water clocks are 200lbs and cost 1000gp

Moving them disturbs their time keeping.

This is obviously a sophisticated adventuring tool.
    Last edited by Lev; 2010-11-09 at 08:07 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

So, with all of the waterclocks and such, are there mechanical or magical clocks of any kind in DnD? I mean come on, a whole plane of CLOCKwork, there's gotta be rules for it somewhere right?
    In Ghostwalk, there is a "Desk Clock" that can keep accurate time to within a few minutes each day. The diagram in the book looks more like an orrery, but the item description sounds more like a head-sized wind-up clock. 25 GP.

Dungeonscape has Firmament Stones, which are supposedly alchemical creations. Each stone is tied to either the sun or the moon, and show the general position of where that celestial body would be in the sky (and the phase, in the case of the moon). This allows the owner to "approximate the time of day or night", but the text doesn't specify how accurate this approximation would be. 110 GP per stone.

The Differential Hourglass in the Planar Handbook is probably what you're looking for. It shows the difference between time passing on the local plane and a different plane, so watching the local half would show you how much time was passing. 75 GP.

Other than that, approximating the time of day or elapsed time would probably be a Survival roll. I could see allowing a Knowledge (Nature) or Knowledge (Religion) check (almost every single advancement in timekeeping was usually for properly timing religious occurrences), maybe other Knowledge subcategories if the player made a reasonable argument for it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Other than that, approximating the time of day or elapsed time would probably be a Survival roll. I could see allowing a Knowledge (Nature) or Knowledge (Religion) check (almost every single advancement in timekeeping was usually for properly timing religious occurrences), maybe other Knowledge subcategories if the player made a reasonable argument for it.
    Well, Arcana or Spellcraft would have to do with the time duration of spells, I imagine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

15. - Top - End - #15

In Ghostwalk, there is a "Desk Clock" that can keep accurate time to within a few minutes each day. The diagram in the book looks more like an orrery, but the item description sounds more like a head-sized wind-up clock. 25 GP.

Dungeonscape has Firmament Stones, which are supposedly alchemical creations. Each stone is tied to either the sun or the moon, and show the general position of where that celestial body would be in the sky (and the phase, in the case of the moon). This allows the owner to "approximate the time of day or night", but the text doesn't specify how accurate this approximation would be. 110 GP per stone.

The Differential Hourglass in the Planar Handbook is probably what you're looking for. It shows the difference between time passing on the local plane and a different plane, so watching the local half would show you how much time was passing. 75 GP.

This is EXACTLY the answer I was looking for. Thanks!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

What about how the lack of common timing effects the impact of culture when it comes to dance and music especially in coordinated musical efforts-- a 1/4 beat theory might be more like a 0.31226 beat playing for a culture without standardized, dependable and well accessed timekeeping.
    As a musician (though by no means a full-casting bard) myself, I must point out that performers won't exactly kill each other if one starts the beat a little fast. Even the difference you mention falls well within artistic license, especially in the days when notation was a series of dots and squiggles. And most composers in that time period weren't all too concerned with exact time, and would probably just take their work and write in a vague description of the tempo (i.e. march tempo, allegro, adagio, etc.) knowing that not everyone had a metronome, and that a slightly faster tempo wouldn't be much of an obstacle for trained professionals.

17. - Top - End - #17

Wow, that's pretty cheap. I included mechanical (gnomish) clocks in my campaign and I presumed they'd cost about the same as other renaissance precision tools, like the SRD spyglass that costs 1000 gp.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    As a musician (though by no means a full-casting bard) myself, I must point out that performers won't exactly kill each other if one starts the beat a little fast. Even the difference you mention falls well within artistic license, especially in the days when notation was a series of dots and squiggles. And most composers in that time period weren't all too concerned with exact time, and would probably just take their work and write in a vague description of the tempo (i.e. march tempo, allegro, adagio, etc.) knowing that not everyone had a metronome, and that a slightly faster tempo wouldn't be much of an obstacle for trained professionals.
    For a long time the practice of many orchestras was for the conductor to carry a heavy staff. He would beat the staff on the ground in time to the music to set the tempo.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    Truth, but when you're performing in a mageocatic city or kingdom performing for stuffy wizards who are obsessed with verbal timing...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Truth, but when you're performing in a mageocatic city or kingdom performing for stuffy wizards who are obsessed with verbal timing...
    A good performer should not keep exact time. It sounds really boring when they do. Seriously, it does.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    A good performer should not keep exact time. It sounds really boring when they do. Seriously, it does.
    Spending 40 years in some tower studying books sounds hella boring to me.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

You could certainly create spells for this purpose.

For example:

A cantrip to know the time at the moment of it's casting, down to 1/4 hour.
    A bard cantrip that helps you keep the rythm by creating a rythm of your choice in your head for minutes/level. (+1 circumstance Bonus to perform checks)
    A Level 1 Spell that tells you how much time has passed since it's casting, with a duration of level/hours. Accurate to the second (stopwatch)
    A Level 2 Spell that let's you know what time it is, down to the second, with a duration of 24 hours, and which can be affected by permanency.

I don't think simple time telling would warrant higher spell levels, except for really complicated shenannigangs (keeping time on different planes so you are never suprised by those shifty planes where 1 day equals 1 century on your home plane).

Combine those spells with create magic item, and you get magical watches. Sure, expensive, but not much more then a water clock, and way more usefull.

Also, I guess in bigger towns, there are main waterclocks, or at least bored guards with hour glasses, and each passing of an hour is made known by tolling a bell or nightwatch calling the time.
    Last edited by Mystral; 2010-11-09 at 10:55 PM.
    Thanks for Zefir for the custom avatar.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Is there anyone who actually does? I mean, it's pretty much impossible to keep exact time while playing music unless you have a metronome of some sort. The only time I can think of that it even makes SENSE to keep exact time is for doing performances piecemeal (like in a sound studio, where the drummer and guitarist are being recorded separately, for example). Other than that, you just want to keep it as much in sync as you can and not vary too wildly from the initial tempo.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    Is there anyone who actually does? I mean, it's pretty much impossible to keep exact time while playing music unless you have a metronome of some sort. The only time I can think of that it even makes SENSE to keep exact time is for doing performances piecemeal (like in a sound studio, where the drummer and guitarist are being recorded separately, for example). Other than that, you just want to keep it as much in sync as you can and not vary too wildly from the initial tempo.
    It's a common student move to try to keep time as exactly as you can. And it's important to do early on so you can learn to track time and maintain a steady rhythm. But once you gain a certain proficiency you learn to add in subtle changes in tempo where it suits the music. A crescendo where you slow down ever so slightly packs a bigger punch than one that maintains the tempo.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Which was why there was such a massive amount of money offered by the RN for such a device.

Even if you put clocks in your world, it still took hundreds of years to get that down to pocketwatch size, and more to make a reliable clock (which wasn't pocket sized...)

If the party want to time infiltrations, then let them buy a small selection of hour glasses.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyx View Post
    Which was why there was such a massive amount of money offered by the RN for such a device.

Even if you put clocks in your world, it still took hundreds of years to get that down to pocketwatch size, and more to make a reliable clock (which wasn't pocket sized...)

If the party want to time infiltrations, then let them buy a small selection of hour glasses.
    Until the introduction of the pendulum escapement, even the best clocks typically varied by several minutes a day. Likewise, until the introduction of the balance spring, watches may vary by an hour or so in a day! You can find the rare pocket-watch with a second hand, but typically clocks and watches only had an hour hand.

I would suspect that actions were timed on readily observable natural phenomena: sundown, dawn, nightfall, etc. Or by a prearranged signal of some sort: whistle, shout, gunshot, flare, lantern, etc. If you are trying to coordinate an action, typically the precise world time doesn't matter, you just want everybody to move at the same time. In such a case a collection of well made hour-glasses, as Psyx suggested, would work well.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Psyx View Post

And hundreds or thousands of years to get it to android, but yet we have warforged and exiled modrons and clockwork horrors and bass men and golems, ect.
    Last edited by Lev; 2010-11-11 at 11:12 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

And hundreds or thousands of years to get it to android, but yet we have warforged and exiled modrons and clockwork horrors and bass men and golems, ect.
    Totally agree. Rationalising technology development in D&D worlds doesn't work well. As the DM just decide if a particular item exists or not and go with it.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeCity View Post
    Totally agree. Rationalising technology development in D&D worlds doesn't work well. As the DM just decide if a particular item exists or not and go with it.
    Which is what I plan to do if I ever run an Eberron-based game where all the PCs are con-artists. Kind of like Hustle in Sharn. I was going to have most nations shift over to paper money (for that iconic briefcase of cash you see in con-movies) and also introduce devices that are essentially mobile phones (albeit without built-in cameras or all the other fancy stuff; just calls and text messages).
    Avatar of Gnar'tigor - former Star Player of the Hellborn Hooligans Blood Bowl team - by Savannah

Brilliant D&D song from Aussie comedy band Tripod.
    If anyone can find a better-quality version of that, let me know.

The Hellborn Hooligans Reborn

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFighter15 View Post
    Which is what I plan to do if I ever run an Eberron-based game where all the PCs are con-artists. Kind of like Hustle in Sharn. I was going to have most nations shift over to paper money (for that iconic briefcase of cash you see in con-movies) and also introduce devices that are essentially mobile phones (albeit without built-in cameras or all the other fancy stuff; just calls and text messages).
    Nice, I like it.

Love the idea of a briefcase of money actually being a mimic, just to screw with them.