New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3,000,000 Gp?!

1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: 3,000,000 Gp?!

That's only the enhancements. On top of that, you still need the +X enchantments and the actual armour.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #32
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drakir_nosslin View Post
    Presumably he's gathered it through his career as an adventurer up until now. But I agree, it does look a bit silly, especially since it's (probably) an entire party with the same power level. That's almost an entire continent's worth of money on each character, depending on the setting of course.
    What do you expect? It's epic, silliness is par for the course
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tael View Post
    I revise my previous suggestions. Screw everything else, with that much money, you could buy 166 Slot-less Belts of Battle.
    two words: nuke tag

Countdown to the zombie Apocalypse: braaaaaaains.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

You may want to get a +6 on your weapon, due to epic damage reduction.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

oooo. Ooooo...and a wand of fireball!(cuz Fireball is forshizz Awesome ftw;-)
    “Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us, come because we actually deserve them? So now I take comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the Universe”- Marcus Cole

This has become my philosophy!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thompur View Post
    oooo. Ooooo...and a wand of fireball!(cuz Fireball is forshizz Awesome ftw;-)
    At level 27, not so much
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Escheton View Post
    And which of those prevend an epic rust monster or ooze from destroying it?
    On that note: what material?
    Dungeonscape. Enchantment for only 500 gp

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

I once came up with an 80-man flying battleship costing 1.5 million as an exercise using the stronghold builder's handbook. Not having played D&D, I'm sure you folks can come up with something better using magical stuffs. It doesn't answer the OP's question, but its something to put the change into!
    Many thanks to Discord for the Avatar!

-_Q

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DythTheKobold View Post
    137,500*5=687,500 (I dumped Str)
    Just a quick tip: if your stat isn't odd, why get the +5 over the +4? Then you are just throwing money away. There are exceptions, of course: your primary stat being the main one (after all, as soon as you hit 28 you'll put the +1 into your primary and make it even again).
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I don't want to pay 640000 gold for a +8 item of strength...
    And well you shouldn't, when an item of continuous Bite of the Werebear is ~120,000 IIRC, and provides +16 Str, +8 Con, +4? Dex, Claws, Bite, and Power Attack and Blind-fight as bonus feats.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

11. - Top - End - #41

Get a copy of the Magic Item Compendium. Buy everything you can, in order from the front of the book to the back. If you run out of gold, go kill an ancient wyrm and take its hoarde, then resume wiping the pages clean.
    The poster formerly known as Riyoukaze.
    I am agile, like orange.
    onthetown

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Blueshine or durable will save your armor.
    Everbright will save your weapons.
    Everything else, no idea.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Just buy a wizard.

14. - Top - End - #44

PirateGirl

On a site note: liberal item purchasing (i.e. MagicMart) campaign situations can help with the near universal 'casters hose noncasters at high levels' sentiment.

If you're in a high magic high wealth urban area where you can buy scrolls and wands after each day's encounters, you can buy your way into most of the same flexibility and options as a wizard or cleric. The cost of more or less 'replicating' the total cost of a spellcasting progression is roughly cubic in level (number of slots is linear, average slot level is linear, caster level is linear, total cost is the sum over the first dimension of the product of the other two), but wealth is exponential.

This is of course highly situational, and dependent on a DM giving you these purchasing options (or figuring out the right spells up front with your starting wealth). OTOH, wizards have to find or purchase new spells for their spellbook (except for the free 2/level) and doing the same for scrolls and wands may not be harder (often the former is done by scrolls. although then the wizard has it 'forever').

But the principle is worth thinking about (especially for people who want to design a campaign to help deal with the supposed supremacy of casters without extensive houseruling).
    Last edited by ffone; 2010-11-10 at 07:08 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Even better, buy an EPIC wizard (lv 20).

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elfstone View Post
    Even better, buy an EPIC wizard (lv 20).
    epic starts at 21.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by faceroll View Post
    You may want to get a +6 on your weapon, due to epic damage reduction.
    It's riskier but significantly cheaper to get a +5 weapon with several kinds of bane on it. Go Evil Outsider, Dragon, and Arcanists (via Magebane from MiC, or C Arc) and you should be pretty well set.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    It's riskier but significantly cheaper to get a +5 weapon with several kinds of bane on it. Go Evil Outsider, Dragon, and Arcanists (via Magebane from MiC, or C Arc) and you should be pretty well set.
    Explain to me why he can't do that and have it be +6?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Explain to me why he can't do that and have it be +6?
    It lets the weapon act as if Epic (definitionally, having a base enhancement value of +6 or better, which is satisfied by +4/+5 base and the +2 for an appropriate Bane) against those particular enemies while avoiding triggering the massive price increase for having an actual Epic item. A +10-equivalent non-Epic weapon costs less than 1/3 of a simple +6 Epic weapon with no special abilities.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    It lets the weapon act as if Epic (definitionally, having a base enhancement value of +6 or better, which is satisfied by +4/+5 base and the +2 for an appropriate Bane) against those particular enemies while avoiding triggering the massive price increase for having an actual Epic item. A +10-equivalent non-Epic weapon costs less than 1/3 of a simple +6 Epic weapon with no special abilities.
    Pretty sure that's not how it works. It has to be an actual +6 bonus, not an effective +6.

*edit: Epic magic items. It has to be an actual +6 bonus, or an effect with an effective +6. Adding +2's to the +5 only makes it epic once you pass 200,000 gold, which defeats the purpose of making it cheaper.
    Last edited by Marnath; 2010-11-10 at 08:14 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

You are free to rule as such if the issue should come up in a game you run, of course, but D&D RAW generally makes no such distinction between temporary and permanent bonuses, to the point where when the distinction does matter it is called out directly in the relevant thing (such as the Animal's Buff line of spells not granting bonus spells, even if you manage to make one last long enough to extend through your spell-prep period.)

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

You are free to rule as such if the issue should come up in a game you run, of course, but D&D RAW generally makes no such distinction between temporary and permanent bonuses, to the point where when the distinction does matter it is called out directly in the relevant thing (such as the Animal's Buff line of spells not granting bonus spells, even if you manage to make one last long enough to extend through your spell-prep period.)
    I edited in a link to the srd. It seems pretty clearly stated to me.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    I edited in a link to the srd. It seems pretty clearly stated to me.
    More directly relevant, the rules on Damage Reduction:
    A few very powerful monsters are vulnerable only to epic weapons; that is, magic weapons with at least a +6 enhancement bonus. Such creatures’ natural weapons are also treated as epic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. (significant qualifier underlined)
    This defines what an epic weapon is for purposes of Damage Reduction, regardless of what the Epic Handbook feels about it (and I would argue it satisfies the Epic Handbook as well: to wit, when you hit a creature with a +4 Bane weapon, that weapon is providing you +6 to hit and damage. That is greater than 5, which means that when you are attacking that creature, your weapon is epic.) You smack a Bane creature, the weapon's enhancement bonus against that creature is +6 or higher as a result, your attack beats /Epic. It doesn't require actually costing Epic amounts of money.

24. - Top - End - #54

People actually have the right idea about buying a wizard. Lords of Madness has Neogi selling Slaves for (CR squared) x 1000. So you could buy a level 27 wizard for 729000gp. If you really want to slaughter everything, you could use all of your money to buy a level 54 wizard for 2916000gp. And you could still give it a headband of int +6 and some cheap defensive items with your left over money.
    Last edited by Tael; 2010-11-10 at 08:24 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

What do you guys mean by slotless? I'm not familiar. Unless you mean permancied spell. But that can be dispelled.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

More directly relevant, the rules on Damage Reduction:

This defines what an epic weapon is for purposes of Damage Reduction, regardless of what the Epic Handbook feels about it (and I would argue it satisfies the Epic Handbook as well: to wit, when you hit a creature with a +4 Bane weapon, that weapon is providing you +6 to hit and damage. That is greater than 5, which means that when you are attacking that creature, your weapon is epic.) You smack a Bane creature, the weapon's enhancement bonus against that creature is +6 or higher as a result, your attack beats /Epic. It doesn't require actually costing Epic amounts of money.
    That arguement seems pretty weak to me. The bonus may go up to +6 for the bane creature, but that doesn't make it an epic weapon. But I'm not your DM, so whatever.
    *edit: also, the passage you quoted does not state either way whether the +6 has to all be real bonus. That falls to the part I quoted which defines what an epic item is.
    Last edited by Marnath; 2010-11-10 at 08:30 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

NecromancerGuy

3 million gp will buy you a ring of infinite wishes.
    The custom magic item tables are just so unbalanced when it comes to continuous/unlimited use spells...

EDIT-Or better yet, buy a level 54 cleric slave, have him worship the ideal of your power, and then have him craf a ring of infinite miracles.
    Last edited by Ilmryn; 2010-11-10 at 08:31 PM.
    The Resistance character:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Uthlas-Reth
    Male CG Grey Elf Wizard 1/Archivist 2, Level 3, Init +3, HP 17/17, Speed
    AC 12, Touch 12, Flat-footed 9, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Lt. Crossbow +4 (1d8, 19-20x2)
    5-ft burst Fiery burst DC 17 Reflex (2d6, -)
    Quarterstaff -1 (1d6-2, 20x2)
    (+3 Dex, -1 Misc)
    Abilities Str 6, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 8
    Condition None

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by randomhero00 View Post
    What do you guys mean by slotless? I'm not familiar. Unless you mean permancied spell. But that can be dispelled.
    You can make a magic item not take up a slot on your body for an additional cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

If this is the campaign I think it is...

1. I am depressed about being unable to enter it because I didn't notice it in time. Sounds awesome.

2. The game, IIRC, is an epic game that's supposed to be played around Tier 3. Yeah. So extreme WBL-mancy (buying level 54 slaves...and by the way, seriously...) is likely frowned upon.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by senrath View Post
    You can make a magic item not take up a slot on your body for an additional cost.
    Really...that'd be really useful. How much more? Is there a limit? Why don't gods have like 5 thousands items on them>?

edit and what book is it from that says you can do that?
    Last edited by randomhero00; 2010-11-10 at 08:52 PM.