New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: The Energy Bow

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The Energy Bow

is found HERE.

What are the thoughts on this item. Seems a bit overpowered (+2 Composite Bow that adjusts itself to your strength, dealing 2d6 energy damage, requiring no arrows, and allowing power shot for only 22K) but lets face it, its a bow...

I kind of get the impression that WotC never intended this item for use, but they did put out its stats, and not on April Fools Day either.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Tyger; 2010-11-10 at 11:11 AM.
    Thanks The Neoclassic for my avatar!

Stark Raving Dad - a blog about life.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by theos911 View Post
    Fighter: I can kill a guy in one turn.
    Cleric: I can kill a guy in half a turn.
    Wizard: I can kill a guy before my turn!
    Bard: I can get 12 idiots to go kill guys for me
    Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Oh, and Person-Man's real name is a little something called "SKYNET"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Energy Bow

I like it, if only to actually gain Power Shot somehow. That should be a feat tho. But meh.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Pretty nice, given that Force is normally a +2 equivalent. Power Shot is something that should exist anyhow.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

archery in D&D is a subpar martial damage, so anything that enhance in any way is ok for me.

that bow is awesome, plain and simple. and u forgot to tell, those energy ammunition hit incorporeals without the miss chance and bypass any DR against "material type" weapon.

the only property lack for close to be OP is spliting, and even then will be ok for me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Pretty nice, given that Force is normally a +2 equivalent. Power Shot is something that should exist anyhow.
    there is a PrC wich grant power shot, but i think is a 3.0 one, and my memory fail me for recall the name :(
    Last edited by Ruinix; 2010-11-10 at 11:20 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruinix View Post
    there is a PrC wich grant power shot, but i think is a 3.0 one, and my memory fail me for recall the name :(
    Peerless archer, silver marches, forgotten realms...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaww View Post
    Peerless archer, silver marches, forgotten realms...
    my thanks.

that one. grant a the crappy ability of fletcher, and as pre req. have quick draw ?!??! but power shot worth it.

someone adjusted this PrC to 3.5 ?
    Last edited by Ruinix; 2010-11-10 at 11:42 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

The energy bow grants the ability to make power shots. It's in the second paragraph. It would have been more clear if they had printed Hank's stats from the animated series handbook along with the bow's info.

9. - Top - End - #9

One of my players wanted to play this...

We didn't find any updates... It turned her into a sad panda...

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Ruinix View Post
    my thanks.

that one. grant a the crappy ability of fletcher, and as pre req. have quick draw ?!??! but power shot worth it.

someone adjusted this PrC to 3.5 ?
    It doesn't need adjustments. It's fine as is and has few other handy abilities; not to mention, it's RAW legal as all 3.0 material is compatible with 3.5 as long as it hasn't been replaced by a 3.5 printing. The principal issue is that it's 3.0 which still makes lots of people either unaware, or leery, of it. That, and the fact that you shouldn't have to take 3 levels in a PrC for something so fundamental to an archer (and something that's available as a feat to both, melee and throwers).
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-11-10 at 11:54 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Davester View Post
    The energy bow grants the ability to make power shots. It's in the second paragraph. It would have been more clear if they had printed Hank's stats from the animated series handbook along with the bow's info.
    He's in the Animated Series Handbook. Along with the rest of the kids from the show and Venger, too. And to think all I thought I was getting was the DVD box set...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    I like it, if only to actually gain Power Shot somehow. That should be a feat tho. But meh.
    My only issue with making it a feat is archery is so stupidly feat intensive, one more feat will break the archer's back at this rate. If we could shorten the feat tree so it's not so bushy, that'd be an improvement.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

It actually gives only half of the benefits of Force, as it lack the ability to bypass DR.
    It's more like Ghost Touch.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    My only issue with making it a feat is archery is so stupidly feat intensive, one more feat will break the archer's back at this rate. If we could shorten the feat tree so it's not so bushy, that'd be an improvement.
    I personally like combining PBS into Precise Shot anyways. That's a start. Though you still have silly outliers like Far Shot, Improved Precise Shot, etc. that can be useful, but not often enough to truly pick them regularly. You could roll Power Shot into all that; after all, overdrawing a bow isn't all that out there (though whether the bow would like it is another thing entirely but like particle physics, I don't think that's really something to consider on a regular basis when designing a game).

15. - Top - End - #15

NecromancerGuy

I like it myself. It's one of the top bows of 3.5, if not the top bow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Pretty nifty, but yeah, way underpriced (not that I use magic shops in my campaigns, but still).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    (though whether the bow would like it is another thing entirely but like particle physics, I don't think that's really something to consider on a regular basis when designing a game).
    That's where downtime maintenance comes in, since it's assumed adventurers spend the time to keep their armor and weapons in repair at that time. Either that or leave it to resident Warforged to do weapon maintenance on his watch.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!