New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Default [PF] Ranged Summoner

Ok, pathfinder game i just started has 6 players at the table and 5 of us are melee.

I'm playing a summoner and some one asked if any one could rebuild to ranged so i got to thinking. Can you build a summoner ranged to a decent effect?

My thought was get a serpent edilon with as many arms as you can and martial wepon prof and bow feats (prolly wings and a breath wepon for flavor). +a bow and buffs your self

Has any one tried this or have any idea how much more or less effective it is than a melee oriented Edilon?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] Ranged Summoner

They're Cha-based, right? So you'll want Cha to hit at the very least. Check the X stat to Y bonus thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    They're Cha-based, right? So you'll want Cha to hit at the very least. Check the X stat to Y bonus thread.
    The are Cha based caster but they max at 6th level spells and do mostly buffs and summons. (plus glitter dust and a few other things.) so a hi Cha isn't really a must. The summoner in this case would mostly be a buff bot boosting his Edilon.

Here's my limited crunch. you have 26 Ev points at 20 or 14@lvl10 j(ust to see how the build matures)

You can get an extra set of arms for 2 pts, martial wep prof for 4 pts, huge size is 6 points but i don't know if the bonus dice and strength bonus are worth the lost accuracy(i'll assume they are)

Thats all you need to spend points on i think,( in practice flight would prolly be use full but w/e)

So at level 20 you have 8 sets of arms 15BAB 28str 24dex and huge long bows that deal 3d6+what ever you put on them (I feel like just casting magic wepon on all of them would prolly be best/cheapest)

so your full attack is +18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+13/+13/+13/+13/+13/+13/+13/+13/+8/+8/+8/+8/+8/+8/+8/+8 (I think thats how many shot would work in any way) all of those dealing 3d6+9 damage at the least.

But thats a lot of attacks to even think about comparing to any thing else.

Did i mess somthing up in my calculations? Does any one have a way to improve this?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Aren't they capped at a certian amount of attacks?

5. - Top - End - #5

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Lans View Post
    Aren't they capped at a certian amount of attacks?
    There is an artificial limit on the number of natural attacks. Wepon attacks are specifically excluded from that. I didn't see a limit on the number of extra limbs you can have. It says you can take it multiple times but not up to any limit.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Nifty, you might want to not go all in on shooting, and you might want to consider giving him martial weapon proficiency through a feat instead of evolution.

7. - Top - End - #7

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Lans View Post
    Nifty, you might want to not go all in on shooting, and you might want to consider giving him martial weapon proficiency through a feat instead of evolution.
    I didn't think you could do that, but looking on the SRD i don't see why you couldn't. He might be feat starved at earlier levels so i budgeted for it any way. I haven't analyzed the damage difference between more attacks and some of the better archery feats.