New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Critical Hit question

Do you roll the extra damage from an energy(Flaming, Shocking, Frost, Vitriolic) weapon again when you score a critical hit? by RAW.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Critical Hit question

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Do you roll the extra damage from an energy(Flaming, Shocking, Frost, Vitriolic) weapon again when you score a critical hit? by RAW.

Short answer. No.

Long answer: No.
    From the SRD on critical hits:
    Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage are never multiplied.
    Thanks The Neoclassic for my avatar!

Stark Raving Dad - a blog about life.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by theos911 View Post
    Fighter: I can kill a guy in one turn.
    Cleric: I can kill a guy in half a turn.
    Wizard: I can kill a guy before my turn!
    Bard: I can get 12 idiots to go kill guys for me
    Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Oh, and Person-Man's real name is a little something called "SKYNET"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

That's what the "burst" effect is for. +1 bonus for 1d6 on each normal hit, +2 bonus for that 1d6 and extra damage (and often an effect of some sort) on a critical.

-- oops, posted from wrong account. Not actually sonofzeal.
    Last edited by sonofzeal; 2010-11-13 at 10:36 AM.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

(this is actually sonofzeal this time)

Just to explain - I occasionally post from a shared family computer when visiting my parents, and forgot to log off. That'd be my brother then.

But yes, bonus damage dice don't multiply. Some special weapon enchantments do funky things on crits, but that's up to the text to tell you. Default is nothing.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

So, if a weapon has that enchantment on it, that gives +5 to damage(forgot what it's name is, I think it's from the psionic handbook), does that damage get multiplied in the critical hit?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkEternal View Post
    So, if a weapon has that enchantment on it, that gives +5 to damage(forgot what it's name is, I think it's from the psionic handbook), does that damage get multiplied in the critical hit?
    Yes, it does.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Collision.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    Yes, it does.
    To elaoborate, it is only extra damage dice which do not get multiplied. Any static bonuses to your weapon's damage roll (from high Strength, magical enhancement bonuses, Power Attack, etc.) WILL get multiplied because they are merely modifying your normal damage roll.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

9. - Top - End - #9

so what about static elemental damage? If I have a spell that makes my sword swing deal an additional 1d6 + 10 damage, shouldn't the 10 multiply? A bit odd. Tome of Battle maneuvers (iirc) have an explicit clause stating they do not multiply upon a critical, even if it's static damage.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pechvarry View Post
    so what about static elemental damage? If I have a spell that makes my sword swing deal an additional 1d6 + 10 damage, shouldn't the 10 multiply? A bit odd. Tome of Battle maneuvers (iirc) have an explicit clause stating they do not multiply upon a critical, even if it's static damage.
    If it explicitly says it doesn't multiply than it doesn't otherwise it does. It's a case of specific taking precedence over general.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Is there actually a spell like that?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

As others have said - anything expressed as dice beyond base weapon damage is not multiplied on a critical. Anything that is a static number is (unless specifically spelled out not to in the description).

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Is there actually a spell like that?
    Spell compendium: Fires of Purity. Adds CL (max 15) to damage you deal with melee attacks as well as dealing said damage to attackers.
    Last edited by Pechvarry; 2010-11-13 at 07:58 PM. Reason: corrected spell name.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Tome of Battle maneuvers (iirc) have an explicit clause stating they do not multiply upon a critical, even if it's static damage.
    They have no such clause.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    They have no such clause.
    Strikes, at least, most certainly do. ToB page 43, in the paragraph that's split with page 42.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Spell compendium: Fires of Purity. Adds CL (max 15) to damage you deal with melee attacks as well as dealing said damage to attackers.
    That's just a static addition then, not the dice + number like you posted before. We already know the answer to that.

I was asking if there was actually a spell that added something like the 1d6 + 10 from your previous post.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Strikes, at least, most certainly do. ToB page 43, in the paragraph that's split with page 42.
    Interesting.

It could be argued, though, that the next sentence, "You treat it just as you would extra damage from another special ability, such as sneak attack", negates the whole thing. Sneak Attack is only not multiplied because it's extra dice, right?
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

18. - Top - End - #18

Interesting.

It could be argued, though, that the next sentence, "You treat it just as you would extra damage from another special ability, such as sneak attack", negates the whole thing. Sneak Attack is only not multiplied because it's extra dice, right?
    Well it is precision damage, I think they like to specify you don't multiply precision damage on a critical... though I'm not entirely sure on that.
    Game systems I play: DnD 3.5, Pathfinder, Star Wars Saga, Vampire: The Masquerade, Dungeons: The Dragoning, AFBME, Atomic Highway, Dark Heresy, Legend of the 5 Rings 4E, MAID and... EQRPG... Does anyone actually play that?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sneak Attack is only not multiplied because it's extra dice, right?
    Yes, you're right. From Rules Compendium on page 42:
    If the bonus damage from a precision damage ability is expressed as extra dice of damage, the damage from those dice is never multiplied when the attack receives a damage multiplier (such as from a critical hit).
    That means that the sneak attack bonus from Craven, which isn't given in terms of dice, is multiplied on a critical sneak attack.

20. - Top - End - #20

That's just a static addition then, not the dice + number like you posted before. We already know the answer to that.

I was asking if there was actually a spell that added something like the 1d6 + 10 from your previous post.
    Is this important? Not trying to be snide, I'm wondering if there's an interesting avenue you're wanting to explore if there is such a spell. Because 1d6+10 seems easy enough: don't multiply the dice, do multiply the static part.

"Channel spell abilities with Inflict X spells" opens a whole other can of worms: spells (even those represented by dice of damage) can crit and get full multiplication if they have an attack roll. Does this carry over to channeled spells? I suppose they'd become additional dice to the weapon swing, as they're additional effects upon swinging. In which case, dice: no, static added: yes.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Is this important? Not trying to be snide, I'm wondering if there's an interesting avenue you're wanting to explore if there is such a spell. Because 1d6+10 seems easy enough: don't multiply the dice, do multiply the static part.
    I didn't say it was important, I just asked if there was really a spell like that.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

CDivine Fires of Purity was 1d6+CL, instead of SpC's errata to simply +CL.

The CDivine version was subject to Empower Spell though, which was kinda nice. Similar to the example of Magic Missile's static damage being multiplied by Empower Spell, so would Fires of Purity's static damage, which made the spell REALLY good.

SpCs version would multiply on a crit though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Sort of along the same lines.

You have a spell-storing weapon, with scorching ray stored in it. You declare that you are going to release the scorching ray on your next attack, which just happens to be a critical, and you confirm the critical. Does the damage from scorching-ray get multiplied, given that you technically hit them with a critical for the spells attack roll?

One of the other players in a game I'm in wants to do this, and the DM isn't sure.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeCity View Post
    You have a spell-storing weapon, with scorching ray stored in it.
    That's not valid for Spell Storing, as Scorching Ray is "Effect: One or more rays" rather than "Target:". (The difference is you don’t have to see the creature you’re trying to hit with a ray, as you must do with a targeted spell.)
    Quote Originally Posted by BridgeCity
    You declare that you are going to release the scorching ray on your next attack
    D&D doesn't use declared actions except in special circumstances. Assuming you had a valid targeted spell in your Spell Storing weapon instead of the illegal Scorching Ray example, the decision for Spell Storing is only upon successfully dealing damage. Whatever the player says before that point doesn't matter.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    That's not valid for Spell Storing, as Scorching Ray is "Effect: One or more rays" rather than "Target:". (The difference is you don’t have to see the creature you’re trying to hit with a ray, as you must do with a targeted spell.)

D&D doesn't use declared actions except in special circumstances. Assuming you had a valid targeted spell in your Spell Storing weapon instead of the illegal Scorching Ray example, the decision for Spell Storing is only upon successfully dealing damage. Whatever the player says before that point doesn't matter.
    Sweet, thanks.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

So if you did have a valid damage-dealing spell stored that does dice damage, do the dice get multiplied on the next damage dealing strike of the weapon, if it happens to be a crit? It's dice damage so no... but it's a spell so yes...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Moginheden View Post
    So if you did have a valid damage-dealing spell stored that does dice damage, do the dice get multiplied on the next damage dealing strike of the weapon
    Damage from weaponlike spells represented in terms of dice get doubled on a critical hit; see Complete Arcane on pages 85-86. However, a spell that doesn't have its own attack roll is not treated as a weaponlike spell, and follows the "dice don't get multiplied" rule.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Damage from weaponlike spells represented in terms of dice get doubled on a critical hit; see Complete Arcane on pages 85-86. However, a spell that doesn't have its own attack roll is not treated as a weaponlike spell, and follows the "dice don't get multiplied" rule.
    I guess that would also be true of a Duskblade channeling spells?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I guess that would also be true of a Duskblade channeling spells?
    Yeah; the same rules apply. <- wrong!

Edit: Well, that's a goof. Ignore what I wrote here, and see below.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2010-11-15 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Correction

30. - Top - End - #30

It seems channeled spells work as an additional effect of the weapon swing. Thus, they shouldn't get multiplied. The pertinent part:

Quote Originally Posted by PHB2, p20
    If the melee attack is successful, the attack deals damage normally; then the effect of the spell is resolved