New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Sellin your soul and writing contracts

Anyone done this? I'm about to do this and plan on typing up a page or two. Its for a lot of power. Not sure exactly what to ask for. I'm hoping someone really diligent has already done this and has a basic outline for a contract that would protect me. The basic deal is he doesn't get my soul until I die. So I need to make myself as unkillable as possible. And theoretically eventually become a god (hopefully).

Edit: essentially think of it like a super duper powered wish that can grant nearly anything except divine ranks.

PS my character is melee homebrew with a few SLAs
    Last edited by randomhero00; 2010-11-14 at 06:34 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Sellin your soul and writing contracts

First, this is in a game, right?

Second, talk to GM about what is acceptable. And do RESEARCH. Serious research. This is prime messing you over territory.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDMMk3 View Post

Second, talk to GM about what is acceptable. And do RESEARCH. Serious research. This is prime messing you over territory.
    Yes, lol.

Do research how? I'm talking to a god and have to make the decision (in character) right away. Or did you mean out of character research? In which case, I am. This is the thread for it.

edit: 3.5
    Last edited by randomhero00; 2010-11-14 at 06:39 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

My advice: don't do it. There's nothing you can come up with that a devil can't screw over, and your character (being melee) probably doesn't have the extranormal brainpower to do so either. So you are SOL both OOC and IC.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

My advice: sign the contract and immediatly become a lich. If this isn't possible don't do it (death knights good too).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I'd get married first and then sell my soul for a donut :)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Uhm.. if the deal is when you die to forfeit your soul Lich and Death knight won't work, since you die to become one...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mikau013 View Post
    I'd get married first and then sell my soul for a donut :)
    Isn't that like selling your soul twice in one day

To the OP:
    Is the god trustworthy ?
    Might he not, immediatly after you sign, just kill you and say "SUCKER"

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Isn't that like selling your soul twice in one day

To the OP:
    Is the god trustworthy ?
    Might he not, immediatly after you sign, just kill you and say "SUCKER"
    No he's not, which is why I need an air tight clause that will prevent him from killing me or sending me on suicide missions. Which is why I plan on writing up several pages. I just assumed someone must have gone through this before. It seems like it'd be a common theme in DnD.

I'm already more powerful than a death knight. So asking for that is meh.

Edit to be clear I'm looking for epic level power suggestions on what to ask for.
    Last edited by randomhero00; 2010-11-14 at 07:15 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Sell your soul... then try not to die.
    Dragonborning helps... and it could mean Bahamut will ressurrect you as a hellbred if you die, before the demon takes your soul.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm surprised you're the one writing the contract to begin with. Usually the devil will make you an offer you can't refuse, but some loophole clause in his contract will screw you over big time.

If you're going into Epic level power, it's simple: Bonus Feat: Epic Spellcasting.
    Last edited by AslanCross; 2010-11-14 at 10:41 PM.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

12. - Top - End - #12

Pull a John Constantine. Sell your soul to three (or more) archdevils. That way, when you die, they'll all have a claim on you. Hopefully, this will mean that in order to avoid having to go to war over who'll get your soul, they'll instead have to release you from your contract.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

I'm not sure this would work (need to review the rules, but I'm to lazy), but how about selling your soul (Make sure you sell ONLY your soul, not your body or your mind), add a clause saying he cannot do anything that would affect you in any way, and then become a lich. He owns your philactary (so it's super well protected), but he can't destroy it as leverage.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post

If you're going into Epic level power, it's simple: Bonus Feat: Epic Spellcasting.
    I've never done epic before. Does that open up all epic spells or something? How does that work?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by randomhero00 View Post
    I've never done epic before. Does that open up all epic spells or something? How does that work?
    It gives you epic spell slots.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

16. - Top - End - #16

Does it give me epic spells though? I'm not a caster per se.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

No he's not, which is why I need an air tight clause that will prevent him from killing me or sending me on suicide missions. Which is why I plan on writing up several pages. I just assumed someone must have gone through this before. It seems like it'd be a common theme in DnD.
    There's a ton of ways round those kind of clauses.

It wasn't a suicide mission when I sent you. Ok it became one after I sent a bunch of maxed out Pit Fiends to help out the place you were going, but when I sent you it was fine.

I didn't do it. I asked my buddy here to do it.

I sold you out to the good guys to get them out of the way of the thing I was really planning.

What, you mean you didn't notice the bit about how you get all the good stuff for only 12 hours before I claim what's mine?

I gave you those goodies. Which means I can *snaps fingers* take them all away.

If you're making deals with devils, you may as well just make a new character.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Dice View Post
    There's a ton of ways round those kind of clauses.

It wasn't a suicide mission when I sent you. Ok it became one after I sent a bunch of maxed out Pit Fiends to help out the place you were going, but when I sent you it was fine.

I didn't do it. I asked my buddy here to do it.

I sold you out to the good guys to get them out of the way of the thing I was really planning.

What, you mean you didn't notice the bit about how you get all the good stuff for only 12 hours before I claim what's mine?

I gave you those goodies. Which means I can *snaps fingers* take them all away.

If you're making deals with devils, you may as well just make a new character.
    I'm positive my DM wouldn't screw me over that much. Still, those are good points I'm looking for thanks. I'll be sure to include such clauses.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

I'm positive my DM wouldn't screw me over that much. Still, those are good points I'm looking for thanks. I'll be sure to include such clauses.
    No matter how specific you get, you can't stop a devil from finding a way to screw you over. In fact, the more specific you get, the easier it is for you to be the victim of something you never thought of. Worse, it could simply say no to you. You want such a complex contract that the devil in question might just decide you're more hassle than you're worth.

20. - Top - End - #20

No matter how specific you get, you can't stop a devil from finding a way to screw you over. In fact, the more specific you get, the easier it is for you to be the victim of something you never thought of. Worse, it could simply say no to you. You want such a complex contract that the devil in question might just decide you're more hassle than you're worth.
    First, its a god, not a devil. Second it wants me badly.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Sell your body to the night! Use the money to get another guy drunk enough he sells his soul to give you power.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

It probably depends on what you ask for. If you keep your wish relatively low power you probably won't get power revoked.

buuuut if the wish takes you way over the power level of the rest of the party (and probably takes away from their enjoyment) you might get smacked really fast.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDMMk3 View Post

Also, prime having the game fizzle/dissolve/explode spectacularly material.

So I definitely urge you to be cautious.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-11-15 at 03:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

24. - Top - End - #24

Planetar

They are kind of gamebreaking, but there are actual rules for that sort of thing in the Fiendish Codex dealing with the lawful evil outsiders (you can get lots of power via these contracts, for the cost of not being raisable).

If you have that sourcebook, you might use it as a base, though.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post
    They are kind of gamebreaking, but there are actual rules for that sort of thing in the Fiendish Codex dealing with the lawful evil outsiders (you can get lots of power via these contracts, for the cost of not being raisable).

If you have that sourcebook, you might use it as a base, though.
    Ohhh thank you! Because I'm already not raisable!

Also, to the others, the campaign is almost at an end, so I should be able to ask for quite a bit of power.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

First, its a god, not a devil. Second it wants me badly.
    It sounds to le that no matter what you do, you're over a barrel. You might think you have the power now, but it's going to be turned against you at some point.

27. - Top - End - #27

It sounds to le that no matter what you do, you're over a barrel. You might think you have the power now, but it's going to be turned against you at some point.
    Well that's the fun isn't it? To roleplay evil and find out!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

The contract is that the creditor gets your Immortal Soul upon death, right?

Mmmmkay, name your favorite copper piece Immortal Soul. For added hilarity, spend that copper piece.

Disclaimer: Oracle of Wuffing is not responsible for any less than desirable results from following his advice. No actual results of Oracle of Wuffing's advice are guaranteed. Do not follow Oracle of Wuffing's advice while pregnant, drowsy, or operating heavy machinery. You may currently live in a state where following Oracle of Wuffing's advice may be illegal. Please consult your doctor for more information.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

That would be too easy. Actual lawyers and judges very rarely go by the letter of the word, but stick to the meaning of the word. With a wish spell, the wording is important, but if you make a deal with a devil you get exactly what you wanted, but they still find a way so you won't be able to enjoy it.

If you sell your soul, it should be for a very good reason. Because you just HAVE to.
    Just selling your soul because it's easy money, without an idea what to do with it, is certainly not a good idea.
    Last edited by Yora; 2010-11-15 at 04:28 PM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

30. - Top - End - #30

I am sellin my soul pretty much because I have to. Secondly this isn't a wish, its a deal for power. Big difference.