New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Roleplaying, Music and You

I'm in search of some good background music for DnD. Any suggestions?

I like the feel of a lot of FF music if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Roleplaying, Music and You

FF is good, but I sure hope you're not using One-Winged Angel. :P

Here's a "soundtrack" I used in my last campaign. Since we're running Eberron, the tone's a bit different, so I added a rather large amount of instrumental metal and techno into the mix.

Mountain of Faith: Suwa Foughten Field ~Battlefield of the Gods~ is the actual theme I used for Azarr Kul, the last boss.

The Neverwinter Nights 2 soundtrack also has some gems.
    Main theme
    Devil boss theme
    Githyanki Battle theme
    Githyanki theme

Baldur's Gate 2: Dragon battle theme
    BG2: Throne of Bhaal: Final boss theme

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

3. - Top - End - #3

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

It can be slightly distracting if it's played too loudly or if the DM is spending a lot of time also being a DJ. But other than that, go for it. Don't pick stuff with words unless it's VERY appropriate. And yeah, FF is cool.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Official Roleplaying Soundtrack by Midnight Syndicate. I've never actually listened to my copy all the way through, but I just felt I should mention it.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Kaulesh View Post
    Official Roleplaying Soundtrack by Midnight Syndicate. I've never actually listened to my copy all the way through, but I just felt I should mention it.
    It's OK, actual ambient music is better-- the roleplaying soundtrack is more of a tool invented in the days of cassette tapes that you'd listen to when reading a book.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

How about some nice Gregorian chant, medieval and gives it the sound of being in some large cathedral.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callista View Post
    It can be slightly distracting if it's played too loudly or if the DM is spending a lot of time also being a DJ. But other than that, go for it. Don't pick stuff with words unless it's VERY appropriate. And yeah, FF is cool.
    Agreed; I stay away from music with vocals unless the vocals aren't likely to be understood and are more ambient (like the faux Latin in one of the songs I posted above). Actual lyrics and vocals I find distracting.

When it comes to distracting the DM when he tries to be a DJ, though, I don't think it's such a problem if the songs have all been prepared in a playlist on an iPod or laptop that the DM otherwise uses for the game (this is true in my case).

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

9. - Top - End - #9

NecromancerGuy

Midnight Syndicate and Nox Arcana are good. Movie soundtracks from movies no one's ever heard of, like Ravenous. Same applies to Anime OSTs from anime no one's ever heard of, but those are better for roleplaying moments rather than battle or exploration mostly.

Be selective based on what's going on at the time. I once ran a very very creepy game that wouldnt have been nearly as such if it werent for the Doc and Lena S. noble, ambient, sentimental waltzes album I had playing. very creepy stuff that.
    "To play a fighter is to play the game.
    To play a wizard is to understand the rules.
    To understand the rules, and play a fighter, is to understand the game."
    -Lycar
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #10

Oh boy, I couldn't suggest just one thing. I go through hundreds of choices of ambient music and grab just the right thing for the kind of feelings I want to evoke, matched to the overall theme of the setting/campaign. You need the right pacing, tone, and energy in a piece so that it resonates with what's happening in the scene at hand. I can't just suggest a piece of music for use "in general."

It's all about implementation and synergy. Used properly, music adds a level of depth to your games that escalates the level of immersion and emotion, with quite satisfying results. Used improperly, music is simply conspicuous and distracting, accomplishing the exact opposite.

Used correctly, it seems a completely natural part of the experience, subtly guiding the players' thoughts and feelings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxPN_...eature=related
    Last edited by Godless_Paladin; 2010-11-15 at 01:23 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Go to Pandora.com, create a station around the band Dead Can Dance, problem solved.

Or if you want to put effort into it, cherrypick the most thematic remixes from ocremix.org
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law