Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default [3.5] Thoughts on the Spell Point system?

Hey everyone. A player of mine recently asked if we could use the Spell Point system (found here) in a campaign I'm starting up. I've looked at it and I can't see it being an overwhelming balance issue (they're starting at 5th, playing through 10th or 11th), but I'm a bit leery of how weird it makes damage spells, how much bookkeeping it seems to be, and how much more versatile and powerful it makes casters (Wizards and Clerics especially). I was wondering if you guys had any experience with it, good or bad, for me to draw on before I decide on a yay or nay.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: [3.5] Thoughts on the Spell Point system?

I haven't used the variant, but I've always thought it was interesting. It makes blasting spells more costly than they were before, and encourages the spellcaster to become as versatile as possible.

If you allow it, I'd be interesting to hear how it works out.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Better for sorc do not use it for wizards it will push them beyond the impossible
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915 View Post
    Hey everyone. A player of mine recently asked if we could use the Spell Point system (found here) in a campaign I'm starting up. I've looked at it and I can't see it being an overwhelming balance issue (they're starting at 5th, playing through 10th or 11th), but I'm a bit leery of how weird it makes damage spells, how much bookkeeping it seems to be, and how much more versatile and powerful it makes casters (Wizards and Clerics especially). I was wondering if you guys had any experience with it, good or bad, for me to draw on before I decide on a yay or nay.
    It's actually very similar to the psionics power point system, but the numbers are different, so I can't really say if in practice they're similar. Spending additional points to boost damage works like augmentation in psionics, which makes low-level spells more versatile and still usable at later levels without making them far too strong at the level they're available. (However, with the Spell Point system, augmentation only works for damage-dealing spells; in psionics, all of the powers that can be augmented have a special augmentation clause that can increase buff bonuses, duration, or allow for immediate manifestation)

Metamagic is a bit different. In Psionics, metapsionic feats require the character to be in a state of Psionic focus (getting to that state is usually a Full round action, DC 20 Concentration check), spend extra power points, AND expend the psionic focus state. The Metapsionic feats are pretty balanced and actually work fine in that the player often has a hard time deciding if they're worth it. Spell point metamagic seems to be a middle ground between the default option, where metamagic is crazy good, and metapsionics, which are not really so easy to use.
    Last edited by AslanCross; 2010-11-14 at 08:03 PM.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Having used it with similar numbers, casters felt weaker because they had to pay per CL. (That's how we understood the system.) If we did things properly, casters would have been significantly stronger.

Having played in another game with a similar system, it lets casters use their highest level spells more often. Also, metamagic becomes practical if you can spend more spell points than your caster level.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    Having used it with similar numbers, casters felt weaker because they had to pay per CL. (That's how we understood the system.) If we did things properly, casters would have been significantly stronger.
    Actually, RAW you only have to pay for CL on damage spells. Other CL-dependent spells (like summons with durations) scale normally.

It makes casters (particularly prepared casters) a deal more powerful. The Vitalizing option is a great way to balance that - making casters more tired as they burn through their mana.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

So it sounds like a pretty positive reaction overall. Reading up on it it seems fine to me too. The casters still prepare spells, this just gives them a bit more versatility. And it even helps in my own encounter design, as I don't have to predict what spells bosses will need.

Thanks for the advice everyone

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

As DM, I give all NPCs spontaneous casting, if only from a small list. The creatures are meant to be high in mental stats and they'd know what to prep.
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

I like it, but one thing to consider, it makes sorcerers obsolete. If you compare wizards and sorcerers respective spell points you'll notice the difference is very small, and with spell points the wizard is capable of casting any combination of his prepared spells, something the sorcerer stood out for previously.
    So you might either double the sorc's spell point reserve, or ban him.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

It's worth noting that the spellpoint system is generally more powerful than normal vancian casting. If your group isn't terribly high-op, you may not notice the difference, particularly if they like to use blasting type spells, but if your group tends towards battlefield control and things that they can just opt into the minimum amount of sp per spell, then you may notice a difference as they can now drop their highest spells more often per day if needed.
    BEEP.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    As DM, I give all NPCs spontaneous casting, if only from a small list. The creatures are meant to be high in mental stats and they'd know what to prep.
    My wizard has high mental states, so they should know what to prepare as well. Can he cast spontenously?
    Last edited by Boci; 2010-11-15 at 03:10 AM.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Boci: With the right abilities, he can.

DM-wise, spontaneous casting on all NPCs makes things a bit easier for me after about level 5.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

Not a fan at all.

Basically anything that scales with CL becomes sub optimal, but other spells are completely untouched. For instance direct damage dealing spells with are normally xHD in damage become pointless, yet the already powerful SOD spells are largely untouched. It makes no sense.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Our group uses it, though we discarded the need to scale damage dealing spell up - you just pay the points for them based on the level of the spell they are, and they act "normally".

We were a tad worried that would mess with balance, but when all the SoDs are untouched, quite frankly nerfing the damage dealing spells wasn't something that really needed to be taken care of.

It does somewhat make the Sorcerer class a waste of time, as now everyone has that versatility to cast whatever they have memorized / known as many times as they like (and have the points for) while still rewarding wizards' ability to change up their spell list daily. That is something to keep in mind.
    Thanks The Neoclassic for my avatar!

Stark Raving Dad - a blog about life.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by theos911 View Post
    Fighter: I can kill a guy in one turn.
    Cleric: I can kill a guy in half a turn.
    Wizard: I can kill a guy before my turn!
    Bard: I can get 12 idiots to go kill guys for me
    Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Oh, and Person-Man's real name is a little something called "SKYNET"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Spamalot in the Playground

A good way to balance it is the Vitalizing Variant mentioned on the same page. If the Wizard goes through too many points, apply negative conditions to them as they go down in percentages. That will rein in their spellcasting by increasing the danger of going nova, and it's easier to calculate than it would be with slots.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)