New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Eidolons and their Evolutions points (Pathfinder)

Okay so I'm attemtping to create a summoner and i'm plotting out my eidolon. . . here's my questions

Evolutions:
    Each eidolon receives a number of evolution points that can be spent to give the eidolon new abilities, powers, and other upgrades. These abilities, called evolutions, can be changed whenever the summoner gains a new level, but they are otherwise set. . . . Evolutions are grouped by their cost in evolution points. Evolution points cannot be saved. All of the points must be spent whenever the summoner gains a level. Unless otherwise noted, each evolution can only be selected once.

My question is this: Can I stack up the points, and hold onto the points until I have enough points for the evolution that I want? Or do I have to obtain evolutions as I come across them?
    I see that there are 1-4 point evolutions. Example: To make an Eidolon "LARGE" size, you spend 4 points. But then it says for another 6 points, you can make the Eidolon "HUGE".

How do I do this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Eidolons and their Evolutions points (Pathfinder)

You can't leave points un-spent, but you can shuffle them around every time you gain a Summoner level. To quote:

Evolution Pool: The value given in this column is the total number of points in the eidolon’s evolution pool. Points from this pool can be spent on a wide variety of modifications and upgrades that add new abilities, attacks, and powers to the eidolon. Whenever the summoner gains a level, the number in this pool increases and the summoner can spend these points to change the abilities of the eidolon. These choices are not set. The summoner can change them whenever he gains a level (and through the transmogrify spell).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arutema View Post
    You can't leave points un-spent, but you can shuffle them around every time you gain a Summoner level. To quote:
    Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quick question: I don't play Pathfinder, but are the Summoner and it's Eidolon as cool as they appear to be (I do have the preview file and I have looked at the class)?
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've seen it in play, one of my players was one, and I used one as a boss fight.

I would say yes, it's pretty cool, though admittedly the funnest thing to do with them is make sure every "Summon Monster" spell is on your spell list, and summon a monster each and every round to supplement your Eidolon's forward assault... at least in boss fights and other Full Throttle battles.

Otherwise when he played I saw a lot of "I buff the Eidolon, she attacks." and "I heal the Eidolon, she attacks."

It also has a good number of openings for interesting role-playing situations... except that this player really doesn't role-play much.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

My friend who's playing one loves it, however he feels more like he's playing the eidolon with an attached human. To combat this, try to come up with a role for your character like maybe mounted combat to make sure you have something to do. Also, come up with some solid fluff for what your eidolon is and what it means to your summoner.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bugbeartrap View Post
    My friend who's playing one loves it, however he feels more like he's playing the eidolon with an attached human. To combat this, try to come up with a role for your character like maybe mounted combat to make sure you have something to do. Also, come up with some solid fluff for what your eidolon is and what it means to your summoner.
    This was something we ran into, as well, to the point where we could remember the name of the Eidolon (Tulio), but not the caster (Ezio, I believe).
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not that it really pertains to this conversation, but I just made a summoner for a campaign and I love playing the class. The ability to summon expendable creatures and send them to their doom while staying out of combat is just awesome.

It allows for major role play and skill focus rather than the combat aspect of playing.
    Freedom is to say that two plus two equals four, if that is granted, all else will follow.

http://the-ethan-yazel.deviantart.com