New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Desert Campaign [FR 3.5]

I'm going to be running a new campaign with my group and I'd like to base it in/around Calimshan in the FR setting. I was looking through my books and files and noticed that I don't own anything that fits the bill. So I ask you, playgrounders:

Is there a 3.5 module based in Calimshan, or a desert environ, or am I homebrewing this one?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Desert Campaign [FR 3.5]

I'm not sure about FR or any modules, but the general go-to for the desert is the 3.0 book Sandstorm. You might also want to try to find whatever al-Qadim material made it to 3.X, but I can't remember anything off the top of my head other than the article in Dragon 315.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

I thought Sandstorm was 3.5? Where is the definitive website that spells it out?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

There's a 2E Calimport book that I'm aware of, but I don't know if there's a 3E version or not, so you may have to do some on-the-fly adaption.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm. I've got Sandstorm, so Ill see what I can pull from that. Ill crawl the internet some more.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Sandstorm is 3.5 and has a lot of goodies. I especially like the Sandshaper PrC. It's great for a recurring villain.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

7. - Top - End - #7
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DementedFellow View Post
    I thought Sandstorm was 3.5? Where is the definitive website that spells it out?
    It doesn't get clear-cut until Eberron and the Completes really, but there are some ways to tell before that. For example, if you look at a monster and its damage reduction says 10/+1 or similar instead of 10/magic, you're looking at a 3.0 book.

Some books mix 3.0 and 3.5 concepts - Savage Species, BoVD and PGtF do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #8

You GOTTA have wind-powered sand skimmers.

Doesn't matter what you are doing, freaking boats on sand = win.

Oh, and drought, villains gotta have some sort of control on the water, or the rain, or a river, water is worth more than gold to desertfolk.

One Piece (the anime) spent about 50 or so episodes on a drought-based story arch in a desert scenario. Pretty well done imo.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Wizards had some adventures available on their website years ago, most of their old content is still available. Let's see what the google can come up with for desert adventures:

Desert Sands probably 3.0 considering its release coincides with Masters of the Wild, but probably usable.

Far Corners of the World archive, at the bottom are three Sand and Sun articles for new magic items, monsters, and spells, though no adventures.

When the google fails, I go to ye olde three ring binder and find the copes I printed off seven years ago: All Adrift on the Dune Sea!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    Sandstorm is 3.5 and has a lot of goodies. I especially like the Sandshaper PrC. It's great for a recurring villain.
    And sorcerers who want more spells, IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    And sorcerers who want more spells, IIRC.
    Yeah, it gives an enormous amount of extra spells, at different levels than when you'd normally get them (the physical line of "Animal buff" spells, for example, is available as level 1 spells).

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm. Im liking the sand boats idea. We'll see if I can make that work. Looking through Sandstorm, it seems to give enough of what I need in order to put a campaign together.

Also I ran into an interesting BBEG in a one of my books. Im AFB so the title of the book escapes me, but the BBEG is a Ancient Blue Dragon, and she bases herself in an old desert kingdom she destroyed. Looks like I've got a BBEG.
    Last edited by Noedig; 2010-11-16 at 11:38 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

There used to be some old 2ED books about Calimshan and the other Lands of Intrigue under Old Edition Downloads in the download section on the WotC website, but it's not available at the emoment. Probaly they've finally taken it offline.
    Do you use the mechanics to play the game,
    or do you use the game to play the mechanics?

My opinion on paladins

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Shame. Though Im not good at transferring 2e to 3.5 anyway so its probably for the best.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Noedig View Post
    Shame. Though Im not good at transferring 2e to 3.5 anyway so its probably for the best.
    2nd Edition supplements are typically light on rules and heavy on fluff. I supposed you were mainly looking for descriptions of places and people.
    Do you use the mechanics to play the game,
    or do you use the game to play the mechanics?

My opinion on paladins

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Ah well in that case perhaps I will look for it. THAC0 always did throw me for a loop, but the fluff is good.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calmar View Post
    There used to be some old 2ED books about Calimshan and the other Lands of Intrigue under Old Edition Downloads in the download section on the WotC website, but it's not available at the emoment. Probaly they've finally taken it offline.
    They haven't, the links just don't work any more. Here's a quick guide to grabbing all the sweet stuff Wizards has put online.