New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Question on "Up the Walls" Psionic feat

http://www.systemreferencedocuments....l#up-the-walls

UP THE WALLS [PSIONIC]
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can run on walls for brief distances.

Prerequisite: Wis 13.

Benefit: While you are psionically focused, you can take part of one of your move actions to traverse a wall or other relatively smooth vertical surface if you begin and end your move on a horizontal surface. The height you can achieve on the wall is limited only by this movement restriction. If you do not end your move on a horizontal surface, you fall prone, taking falling damage as appropriate for your distance above the ground. Treat the wall as a normal floor for the purpose of measuring your movement. Passing from floor to wall or wall to floor costs no movement; you can change surfaces freely. Opponents on the ground can make attacks of opportunity as you move up the wall.

Special: You can take other move actions in conjunction with moving along a wall. For instance, the Spring Attack feat allows you to make an attack from the wall against a foe standing on the ground who is within the area you threaten; however, if you are somehow prevented from completing your move, you fall. Likewise, you could tumble along the wall to avoid attacks of opportunity.

Quick question: Can you use a run or a charge action to move more than your base speed while climbing up a wall?

I tried running up a 60ft shaft but the DM ruled that I must end every 30 ft on a horizontal surface in order to do that

Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Question on "Up the Walls" Psionic feat

Your DM is right - running and charging are full-round actions, not move actions. You can only use Up The Walls with a move action.

What you CAN do is boost your move speed so that you can move 60 ft. without needing a full-round action.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2010-11-17 at 06:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Your DM is right - running and charging are full-round actions, not move actions. You can only use Up The Walls with a move action.

What you CAN do is boost your move speed so that you can move 60 ft. without needing a full-round action.
    Yup. That pretty much covers it. (HINT: Casting Longstrider is a good start. Add the Dash feat, and Speed of Thought. Maybe some Boots of Striding and Springing.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    Yup. That pretty much covers it. (HINT: Casting Longstrider is a good start. Add the Dash feat, and Speed of Thought. Maybe some Boots of Striding and Springing.)
    Haste, Expeditious Retreat...
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I guess I should have asked about it before taking the feat. It's still useful, but it'll take me a few levels to get the items and feats I need to make it pay off (which will be somewhat difficult since I had planned my feat selection for the next 4 lvls already, oh well, back to the calculation board)

Thanks to all!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

/facepalm. that's laaaaame ><
    especially since psionic charge is a prereq.
    it does say move action, however
    (though the spring attack clause seems to be trying to give a little wriggle room)
    this makes me sad