New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Default Females wanting to be thin

Saw this article on livescience

Girls as young as 3 are already emotionally invested in being thin, to the point where some even will avoid touching game pieces that depict a fat individual, a small study on preschoolers suggests.
    So my question for our females in the playground is -- nature or nurture? Does society really start programming children to be stick-figure women below the age of 3? Or is it a biological component, something genetic?

If you are a female, do you feel pressure to be thin? Does this come from inside yourself? Or were you taught by someone else, by TV or your parents or somebody? If we gave kids big, beefy bubushka dolls to play with rather than stick figure barbies, could we reverse this trend? Or is it something natural for women that can't be changed by programming?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Females wanting to be thin

Nurture. Definitely nurture. Believe it or not, there are still some (pretty isolated from the majority world culture) places where girls grow up wanting to be big, curvy, bonnie, and cuddly.

Trust me, i've been to one of them. They were all anxious about me because I was too thin.

However, those of us who grow up in the majority world culture tend to be indoctrinated into the 'thin is beautiful' thing so early that I believe most of us internalize it at a very young age. I think you would have to work really hard to bring a girl up so as to avoid this overwhelming cultural message.

ETA: I think that young boys also get this message, just a much lesser extent.
    Last edited by dish; 2010-11-18 at 10:15 AM. Reason: I forgot...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you kpenguin for the lovely avatar, Recaiden for my dolly, and Alleine for this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleine View Post
    dish is a cool crazy cat lady.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I think most of us can speculate but it's really impossible for us to know.

I would say, at 3, you're old enough to have that impressed on you by others but it's also partially biological (as overweight can signify health issues). What we don't know is would these 3 year olds prefer the super skinny model or the average weight model?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Granted, I'm not a women, but...

I'd say that nurture is far more important- there are a fair number of cultures in which being fatter is being prettier.
    I drive a quantum car- every time I look down at the speedometer, I get lost.

As a juggler, I may not always be smarter than a banana. However, bananas aren't often surrounded by children asking for hugs and autographs.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, you have to define "thin".

I'm pretty sure that there is mechanism in every person that can see when one's just too thin, and similarly - when someone carries way too much needles fat/stuff.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's a little of both. It's in our nature to be competitive with others in whatever displays we put on to make ourselves attractive. It's in the nurture part as to what specific traits are considered attractive. Two women might have different ideas of what makes a man a good provider, one looking for a big strong man and the other for a wealthy man. The men then pick up on social cues and compete for who appears stronger, wealthier, etc.

In short, people are pressured into being competitive everywhere, but it's the culture that dictates in what areas to compete.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I am not a woman, but there was a very interesting study (mentioned here on the Daily Mail website, not the most wonderful source but there we go) that puts a lot of weight in the Nurture camp. The gist of it is that women who diet regularly are about twice as likely to have a daughter who develops an eating disorder, suggesting that the focus placed on food is potentially harming the relationship young people have with food.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Sipex View Post

I would say, at 3, you're old enough to have that impressed on you by others but it's also partially biological (as overweight can signify health issues). [...]
    The health thing can work both ways.

In less economically developed societies, one natural disaster, famine, or disease outbreak (think Haiti and cholera) could easily kill someone who was too thin (as in, someone who was malnourished). In those societies larger ladies are often preferred, as they have a greater chance of survival and of producing healthy offspring.

In developed countries, natural disasters, famines and disease outbreaks pose hardly any risk at all. In that case, the more slender lady has health benefits (less diabetes, lower risk of heart-attack or stroke, etc.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you kpenguin for the lovely avatar, Recaiden for my dolly, and Alleine for this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleine View Post
    dish is a cool crazy cat lady.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Nurture, definitely nurture.

Have you taken a look at some European paintings from Renaissance or Baroque Era? The female ideal implued way fatter women than now.

EDIT: also, I'm a woman. I'm anything but thin (not exactly fat either, but a lot fatter than the "ideal"), but I really don't care. I realize I'm one of the few to not care, though.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-11-18 at 10:32 AM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Why haven't this one come up yet?
    Spoiler
    Show

Culture, as people have said before.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post
    (but a lot fatter than the "ideal")
    When you consider that the "ideal" can only be achieved with photoshop, that's not a bad thing.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Since I'm pretty sure woman with a bit of fat on their bodies are more fertile then skinny ones, another vote for nurture here.
    Last edited by RebelRogue; 2010-11-18 at 10:39 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I would say, at 3, you're old enough to have that impressed on you by others but it's also partially biological (as overweight can signify health issues). What we don't know is would these 3 year olds prefer the super skinny model or the average weight model?
    Are you aware of how dangerous being underweight or undernourished* is for a 3 year old? The harm that being underweight or malnourished can do, long term, to a toddler is arguably worse than the harm that can be done by being overweight. To take a single example, the risk of brittle bones, particularly in girls, is massive and the dangers posed are significant and life long.

*underweight to mean under a healthy weight, undernourished to mean not receiving sufficient nutrients.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Yeah, definitely need a definition of 'thin'.

Weight Scale
    Anorexic, Runway Model, Thin, Slender, Curvy, Average, Pudgy, Chubby, Out of Shape, Overweight, Obese

Anorexic is deathly thin, Average may have a few extra pounds but nothing to comment on, Obese can barely walk.

Thin to Chubby is usually healthy.

For instance the body type of Christina Hendricks is my ideal. Curves without rolls. Very healthy without extra weight in places that could cause medical problems.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2010-11-18 at 10:45 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

I'd say nurture. Granted I'm a man, but many decades ago wasn't it considered attractive for women to be a few pounds over weight?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRogue View Post
    Since I'm pretty sure woman with a bit of fat on their bodies are more fertile then skinny ones, another vote for nurture here.
    This is true, or to be more precise sexual fertility is one of the first things that the body shuts down when facing shortages of nutrients and calories.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDMMk3 View Post
    Are you aware of how dangerous being underweight or undernourished* is for a 3 year old? The harm that being underweight or malnourished can do, long term, to a toddler is arguably worse than the harm that can be done by being overweight. To take a single example, the risk of brittle bones, particularly in girls, is massive and the dangers posed are significant and life long.

*underweight to mean under a healthy weight, undernourished to mean not receiving sufficient nutrients.
    Whoa whoa, I never said underweight was good guys, no more attacks please. Crazy skinny women are scary to look at.

I will input, however, that a combination of nature and nuture can make skinny the favourable outcome.

Let's say a toddler, by nature, can identify someone who is TOO fat or TOO skinny (to unhealthyness here). Now, add in nurture which adds more "Fat is bad" and "Skinny is good" stigma to make skinny/average the favourable outcome.

Of course, then nurture tends to go overboard and average becomes lumped in with Fat.

edit: To clarify, average...to me, would be whatever your body can accomodate on a normal, 3 meal diet without crazy restrictions but without going overboard or underboard either. Usually something between 100-200 pounds depending on your body type.

edit2: These are ballpark numbers people, I could very well be wrong. I don't want rebuttals of "OH, I'M 250 pounds! Does that make me fat?!" because really, I don't know.
    Last edited by Sipex; 2010-11-18 at 10:48 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    When you consider that the "ideal" can only be achieved with photoshop, that's not a bad thing.
    Hmmm, nah, to be perfectly honest, I know a lot of real women who are way thinner than me. But since all most of them seem to talk about is how much calories a food have...I consider myself lucky.

Another interesting thing: the female ideal, at least im my country, shifted a lot in the last... oh, 70 years. If you ask my gran, she'll tell that all the current actresses and models, not to mention a big chunk of the girls in the streets, are unhealthy thin. Must have something to do with the fact she was born right at the end of one world war and survived through another, when being thin meant you were starving.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-11-18 at 10:46 AM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Let's say a toddler, by nature, can identify someone who is TOO fat or TOO skinny (to unhealthyness here). Now, add in nurture which adds more "Fat is bad" and "Skinny is good" stigma to make skinny/average the favourable outcome.

Of course, then nurture tends to go overboard and average becomes lumped in with Fat.
    Ah, well in that case I can see how that might work. This is a very insightful theory, although I wonder how you could examine it.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Nuture. I'm male but the culture I grew up in exphasize on curves a lot more than overall thinness. Therefore the attractiveness of the thin has been artificially lowered on my visual priority by local society.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

Nurture. And society and the media in general.

I went through the unfortunate experience of some emotional abuse that drove me to become so stressed that I refused to eat anything that was remotely "unhealthy". I found I was competing for attention between myself and another, slightly larger woman, and figured that as long as I stayed as the younger, skinner model that I had one step up on the other person.

When I got out of that situation, I gained some weight. Now everyone says I look "Healthy".

Yet there are other people who are explicitly telling me to not gain any MORE weight. (I am 5'6''/136 - very normal).

On the other side, I have friends that are overweight and insecure about it and they try and feed me stuff all the time to make themselves feel better. And It's only because everywhere you look, there's all these stick thin people prancing around and having pictures taken of them.

But I can't deny not wanting to be model thin. Its drilled into us that thin is beautiful. At least on this side of the world.
    Vote if you roll 20s! Help me put my graphic novel into print.

So make the Bad Horse gleeful
    Or he’ll make you his mare….

22. - Top - End - #22

Beholder

It most assuredly is culture.

For the bulk of human existance, having more "bulk" was a good sign - in colder climates it assisted (to some degree) and in warmer climates it was a sign of health and wealth.

It has only been in the last few centuries that "thin was in" - and then, look at the bulk of African cultures: thin is most certainly not in by choice.

Even in the U.S., I've found most guys much prefer a woman with a "bit of meat on her bones" - someone more curvy than stick-figure. It's only the media and the fashion folks who are after the super-thin. And unfortunently, that's the message women hear and see.

Personally, I'd rather have someone soft to cuddle with rather than someone who's going to be a hard mass of bones. But I'm a guy who isn't much of a looker, so perhaps I'm biased.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicat View Post
    When I got out of that situation, I gained some weight. Now everyone says I look "Healthy".

Yet there are other people who are explicitly telling me to not gain any MORE weight. (I am 5'6''/136 - very normal).
    You're in the "sweet-spot". At 5' 6" you could easily gain another twenty pounds and still be in that weight category that the majority of guys I know would drool over you.

One of my friends is 5' 2" and due to medicational issues gained enough to get her close to 150 - but she remained desirable and beautiful - and here's a big reason why: personality. I'm not saying that she wasn't beautiful otherwise, but add her natural form to her personality and regardless of what she'd weigh (super skinny or heavier), she'd be beautiful.

What's more important is personality - a skinny girl with a bad personality is far less attractive than a heavier girl with a good personality.

That's the thing to cultivate. If you're friendly and nice, don't even worry about weight. The guys who matter don't care that you're 130 or 150 or 97 pounds - they care that you're fun to be with, fun to hang out with.
    Last edited by Obrysii; 2010-11-18 at 11:02 AM.
    RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Obrysii View Post
    It most assuredly is culture.

For the bulk of human existance, having more "bulk" was a good sign - in colder climates it assisted (to some degree) and in warmer climates it was a sign of health and wealth.

It has only been in the last few centuries that "thin was in" - and then, look at the bulk of African cultures: thin is most certainly not in by choice.

Even in the U.S., I've found most guys much prefer a woman with a "bit of meat on her bones" - someone more curvy than stick-figure. It's only the media and the fashion folks who are after the super-thin. And unfortunently, that's the message women hear and see.

Personally, I'd rather have someone soft to cuddle with rather than someone who's going to be a hard mass of bones. But I'm a guy who isn't much of a looker, so perhaps I'm biased.
    I'll second you here, I've got no problem with a woman who's even a bit chubby (200 pounds on a 5'5" woman for example which isn't even really bad.)

A lot of my friends agree too, it's only when you get into certain sub cultures are all the guys into the stereotypical looks. I believe that as long as you find someone attractive (regardless of over, under, mid weight) you shouldn't restrict yourself.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

We teach our daughter that strong is beautiful. Neither "skinny", nor "curvy" are desirable. Rather, like her mom, an athletic build (lean, with muscle) is best. Hell, her mom is stronger than some of my guy friends, but looks like any other pretty woman for the most part, just much stronger.

As far as we're concerned, underweight is just as unheathy as overweight. I certainly would not find myself attracted a girl who was 5'5" 200. But I wouldn't have a warm-fuzzy for a girl at 5'5" 105 either.
    Last edited by Crow; 2010-11-18 at 11:07 AM.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

25. - Top - End - #25

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    We teach our daughter that strong is beautiful. Neither "skinny", nor "curvy" are desirable. Rather, like her mom, an athletic build (lean, with muscle) is best. Hell, her mom is stronger than some of my guy friends, but looks like any other pretty woman for the most part, just much stronger.
    You should teach her that being herself is beautiful. That personality counts far more than looks.

A great example is a woman from my high school. She was cute, but not "hot" - she was overweight in the "big boned" sort of way - but she was the fancy of quite a few guys, and why? She had such a powerful charisma that everyone was just entranced by her.
    Last edited by Obrysii; 2010-11-18 at 11:06 AM.
    RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    I agree. I'd rather be fit and healthy and weigh more, than malnourished and only 108lbs.
    Vote if you roll 20s! Help me put my graphic novel into print.

So make the Bad Horse gleeful
    Or he’ll make you his mare….

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Nurture. I'm only convinced I'm fat because my parents constantly tell me to lose weight. At least, that's what I assume, since enough of my friends try to tell me I'm not fat.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I am curious as to why so much of a fuss is made over people's weights, and gain and loss thereof. So long as you're healthy (which weight doesn't even necessarilty affect), how is it anyone else's business?
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

You should teach her that being herself is beautiful. That personality counts far more than looks.
    She can be herself all that she wants. But we're not going to neglect teaching her how to take care of her body. As parents, we have a responsibility to ensure the health and well-being of our children. Personality and good health are not mutually exclusive, and shouldn't be treated as such.

We teach by example. It's not like we force her into sports or anything else she doesn't want to do, but we do keep an eye on what we feed her. She does activities that she wants to do (usually because she sees us doing them all the time). She does exercises because she sees mom doing exercises, and she kicks balls and jumps and rolls off of things because she sees dad playing soccer and doing parkour.
    Last edited by Crow; 2010-11-18 at 11:13 AM.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

This is precisely why I married my current wife. She'll never be a runway model, but she loves others and is absolutely devoted to those she loves. Like a falcon, her trust is hard to win but once given is absolute.

She's quite a woman, and that has nothing to do with looks.

Still .. it seems as if for most people looks serve as advertising. The packaging makes people look closer. If the advertising isn't there, a lot of people won't take a second look to see the true beauty that lies underneath the skin.

Respectfully,

Brian P.