New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Wizard Spells as equipment

I was wondering how to incorporate wizard spells (copied from a spell book) into WBL...
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Fighter/Paladin will just hack you to bits

A Wizard/Sorcerer will just blow you up with a spell

A Rogue/Ranger/Monk will just kill you in your sleep

A Cleric/Druid will just squash you after buffing himself

A Bard will slowly twist your ethics, corrupt your morals, and make you do vile acts just for the chance to face him. When you fight him, he will have your family and friends fighting for him. For he wields the deadliest weapon against you and that is, his word against yours.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Wizard Spells as equipment

Quote Originally Posted by quiet1mi View Post
    I was wondering how to incorporate wizard spells (copied from a spell book) into WBL...
    Spell level*50gp.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    Spell level*50gp.
    I would call that way too cheap.

If I'm building a wizard or archivist above first level, I give them the usual number of free spells (usually 2 per class level, plus extras at first level), and beyond that, charge the cost of a scroll against their WBL (plus 100 gp per level for writing materials, if they don't have a Boccob's Book or the equivalent.)

This allows them a decent spell selection while still requiring some tough choices.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post

If I'm building a wizard or archivist above first level, I give them the usual number of free spells (usually 2 per class level, plus extras at first level), and beyond that, charge the cost of a scroll against their WBL (plus 100 gp per level for writing materials, if they don't have a Boccob's Book or the equivalent.)

This allows them a decent spell selection while still requiring some tough choices.
    I agree, but them's the rules.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post

mucat is correct. If you try to pay a fellow wizard for his spells, the base table for cost of spell services is not sufficient. He would want to send you on a quest for a rare herb or ask for alot more from you to give up on of his hard earned spells. If you happen to find a scroll of X in the local market, you could buy it and then make all the appropiate rolls to incorperate it into your spell book.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Yes, they should be counted in with WBL, and yes 50gp x spell level is too cheap - and it's not the rules. To copy a spell is USUALLY 50 x gp, sayeth the SRD, which means it's whatever the DM wants. Not to mention the fact that that fee is just to copy the spell - materials cost to put it in your own spellbook is 100gp per level.

So 150gp x spell level minimum for those "interpret every rule in the wizard's favor" types. Not a huge amount, but for the "Batman wizard has spell for every occasion" types, that'll be a noticeable bite out your magic item budget.

Of course, one also has to take into account the possibility of failing one's spellcraft check when trying to copy a spell. I doubt most wizards loaning out their books give refunds.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Official RAW is:
    1) Cost to gain access in order to copy is either cost of a scroll or 50*spell level gp.
    2) Cost for materials to actually copy into your spellbook is 100*spell level gp

Total cost per spell: 150*spell level gp.

You must also acquire sufficient spellbook pages for your spells, but that's dirt cheap.

2 levels in Geometer reduces the materials cost to a flat 100 gp per spell due to each spell only taking 1 page, making the total per spell 50*spell level + 100 gp.

For spells in bulk at high levels, the materials cost per page can be replaced by one Boccob's Blessed Book (12500 gp) per 1000 pages.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Dragon 358 has arcane shorthand, a feat which halves the cost/space of copying a spell.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

This ambiguity is why I like collegiate wizard + elven generalist + domain wizard. Free spells are freeeeeeee.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't let someone a la carte their spells for 150 gp x spell level. If they also pay spell level x caster level x 25 gp for scrolls on top of spell level x 100 gp then I would let them a la carte. For found books they're basically worth 100 gp x spell level, and sold for half after you copy them for 100 gp x spell level plus a lot of time. So that's 150 gp x spell level for random spells.

Rather than letting them roll up random spells you could compromise and let them a la carte everything for some price between SL x 150 and scroll + SL x 100.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I will say that the spellcraft aspect becomes irrelevant fairly quickly. 1st level, DC is 16... meaning take 10 if you've got a +4 from Spellcraft and +2 from Int. 2nd level spells, the DC goes up to 17... but at 3rd level, you have a +6 ranks from Spellcraft, and so need only a +1 from Int to take 10. 5th level, you've got 3rd level spells, so DC 18... but you've got 8 ranks.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.