New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Question [4e] Are any Dragonborn dragon breath feats worth taking?

I haven't played as a Dragonborn before, but the race and their racial ability sound interesting. I'm wondering how often someone that takes one of dragon breath enhancing feats actually thinks "Yes, I'm glad I took that". I'm currently working on creating a [4e] Dragonborn Paladin, but I'm also looking at other classes too. I'm actually most curious about the Hurl Breath feat, but I would like to know about others. Has anyone taken that feat and thought it was worthwhile?

Thanks in advance for the input,
    Dakaran
    Last edited by Dakaran; 2010-11-18 at 04:56 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] Are any Dragonborn dragon breath feats worth taking?

I've heard good things about Hurl Breath. A breath-focused build can be pretty effective, but it really monopolizes you're resources, and other builds don't really have much use for the other feats (with the possible exception of Breath Admixture on a Sorceror since it expands your Draconic Spellcaster bonus).
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Litigation has a pretty exhaustive Paladin handbook up in the Character Optimization forum over at Wizards of the Coast that includes all of the Dragonborn racial feats. You should check it out.

As I recall, the only one you "have to have" is the one that lets you slap your Divine Sanction on anyone targeted by your breath attacks (Draconic Challenge, I think). This is pretty cool because it works hit or miss--and your breath attacks are going to miss a lot.

There are a couple of other interesting ones but there are a lot of other Paladin feats that are often mechanically better. A lot of the content updates have made the Paragon and Epic tiers awfully crowded, which makes it harder for me at least to burn extra feats on a relatively inaccurate power. Other classes might have better synergies, however.
    Last edited by Tankadin; 2010-11-18 at 05:04 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

My brain might not be remembering this properly, but wasn't there a divine power feat for Dragonborn that grants temp HP to party members inside the area? It went over pretty well with our group, but the group was heavily melee focused so things that burst or blasted and didn't kill the part off was always well received.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

5. - Top - End - #5

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by ninja_penguin View Post
    My brain might not be remembering this properly, but wasn't there a divine power feat for Dragonborn that grants temp HP to party members inside the area? It went over pretty well with our group, but the group was heavily melee focused so things that burst or blasted and didn't kill the part off was always well received.
    Would you happen to know what source book that feat would be in? Isn't there a Divine Power book or something?

6. - Top - End - #6

Yeah, that's what I meant. It's in the divine power book. Blessed Breath? I'm going entirely off of memory, so I might be getting it wrong. I could possibly be a paragon thing. I don't remember all of that, and I'm away from the book currently.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Enlarged Breath is awesome for a Fighter, so once per encounter you mark everything in a 5x5 square. Other than that, they're generally not the best feats and only worth taking if you're playing some kind of "OMG Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer DRAGON EVERYTHING" type theme character.
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

Awesome Richard avatar by kpenguin!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Well, basically your breath weapon is going to suck unless you take one of those feats. The exception is if you're a (non-hybrid) fighter, because it's an automatic mark on every target.

Sorcerers can get good mileage out of their breath weapon (and especially on hitting themselves with it), and clerics have a feat that heals allies you breathe on. I'm sure there's other examples.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tankadin View Post
    As I recall, the only one you "have to have" is the one that lets you slap your Divine Sanction on anyone targeted by your breath attacks (Draconic Challenge, I think). This is pretty cool because it works hit or miss--and your breath attacks are going to miss a lot.
    It'll miss less if you're a Str-Paladin or take the PHB Races: Dragonborn feat "Powerful Breath." Really, it's only +1/+2/+3 behind Implement attacks, so if you're clever, it won't make much of a difference anyway.

Really, the meta-breath feats make Dragon Breath one of the most versatile encounter powers around: Bolstering Breath and Breath of Life make it a minor buff while cutting down on friendly fire, Draconic Challenge unleashes one of the best multi-marks in the game (doesn't require a reaction or attack roll to retaliate for attacks, though the damage is pretty minor), Radiant Breath pretty much removes any chance of the enemy resisting it and keys in with Radiant Mafia groups. In addition, several Dragonborn Paragon Paths have the ability to reuse your Dragon Breath for free when you use an Action Point to act again.

10. - Top - End - #10

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by ninja_penguin View Post
    Yeah, that's what I meant. It's in the divine power book. Blessed Breath? I'm going entirely off of memory, so I might be getting it wrong. I could possibly be a paragon thing. I don't remember all of that, and I'm away from the book currently.
    ninja_penguin, I found the feat you were referring to. It's called Breath of Life and it only damages enemies and gives your allies temp HP equal to your Strength modifier.

11. - Top - End - #11

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Rahl22 View Post
    Enlarged Breath is awesome for a Fighter, so once per encounter you mark everything in a 5x5 square. Other than that, they're generally not the best feats and only worth taking if you're playing some kind of "OMG Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer DRAGON EVERYTHING" type theme character.
    Oh God. My friend plays this.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Rahl22 View Post
    Enlarged Breath is AWESOME for a Fighter, so once per encounter you mark everything in a 5x5 square.
    Yes. Yes it is. FTFY
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Sorcerers can get good mileage out of their breath weapon (and especially on hitting themselves with it), and clerics have a feat that heals allies you breathe on. I'm sure there's other examples.
    Can you hit yourself with a close blast?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRogue View Post
    Can you hit yourself with a close blast?
    You can only hit yourself if you take Hurl Breath as far as I know.

15. - Top - End - #15

PirateCaptain

Oh, and Dragonborn Scion helps with this kind of character. I believe you get an extra type on your Breath.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

I can't remember the exact build, but a friend of mine who's very good at finding weird options managed to take a paragon path that made his breath an implement attack (for attack and damage). He also took a breath feat that allowed him to recharge it when he took damage of the appropriate type (he was a fire sorcerer and could pierce his own resistance). He could attack up to 3 times a round by using breath, attacking himself and an enemy with an area burst fire attack, and using breath again. and his breath was a blast 5 that damaged everyone and gave all his allies a +1 to attack rolls.

If you can find the appropriate synergies and drop enough feats, you can make your breath a formidable weapon. (but literally every one of his feats had the word "dragon" in it :P)
    Last edited by incandescent; 2010-11-19 at 10:09 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by serok42 View Post
    You can only hit yourself if you take Hurl Breath as far as I know.
    Technically true, due to the wording of close attacks. While my D&DI subscription has sadly ended as of a couple of days ago, I remember that the wording of close attacks forbids the caster from being hit. So even if you had a way to throw a close blast or close burst attack and put yourself in the blast/burst, you would be unaffected by it. By RAW. (Since I play LFR, I try to play by strictly LFR rules, so RAW is incredibly important to me.)

Hurl Breath changes this by turning it into an Area Burst, which can affect the caster.

Quote Originally Posted by incandescent View Post
    ... a paragon path that made his breath an implement attack (for attack and damage). He also took a breath feat that allowed him to recharge it when he took damage of the appropriate type (he was a fire sorcerer and could pierce his own resistance). He could attack up to 3 times a round by using breath, attacking himself and an enemy with an area burst fire attack, and using breath again. and his breath was a blast 5 that damaged everyone and gave all his allies a +1 to attack rolls.
    In order: Ninefold Master, Ancient Soul, Enlarged Dragon Breath (blast 5, although this technically doesn't work), and Bolstering Breath.

I believe you were thinking of Hurl Breath due to the reasons outlined above. Burst 2 and Blast 5 are the same size anyway.

The main problem with this combo? It drains your healing surges really quickly. And you have to survive long enough to keep doing it.
    Last edited by tcrudisi; 2010-11-19 at 10:23 AM.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Surprised it took that long for Bolstering Breath to come up.

The guy who plays a dragonborn paladin in our group has the Divine Sanction talent, Bolstering Breath, Enlarged Breath, and the paragon-level talent that weakens one target in the burst. Since he's almost always in melee range Hurl Breath wouldn't be worth it. He nearly went with a ranged Warlord that had Hurl Breath instead of Enlarged, though.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

fun idea i've been toying with. Mass marking, quite tough, and some pretty good control and damage eventually. Pretty versatile build that will work at all levels and is quite a good pure defender that's going to be able to take the beating it's going to attract. Until level 30, where you're still a really good defender but 4 dragon breaths a turn that knock down monsters' defenses (-5/-3/-3/-3) and dazes means you don't need too

Dragonborn Paladin|Swordmage
    Ninefold Master
    Arcane Sword

Max Cha and Con

Feats:

1 - Paladin Armor Proficiency
    2 - Draconic Challenge
    4 - Versatile Expertise
    6 – Improved Defenses
    8 - Unknown
    10 - Draconic Spellcaster
    11 - Hero’s Poise
    12 – Hurl Breath
    14 - Corrosive Breath
    16 - Arcane Admixture (Lightning Dragon Breath)
    18 – Thundering Breath
    20 – Bolstering Breath
    21 – Dissolving Breath
    22 – Concussive Breath
    24 – Resounding Thunder
    26 – Epic Will
    28 – Oncoming Storm
    30 – Duel Implement Spellcaster

Powers:
    Virtuous Strike
    Swordmage At-will that will never be used

Encounter:
    Valorous Smite
    Dimensional Vortex
    Avenging Smite
    Dragon Aura
    Castigating Strike replaces Valorous Smite
    Surprising Transposition replaces Dimensional Vortex
    Trail of Adversity replaces Avenging Smite
    Restricting Smite replaces Castigating Strike

Daily:
    Majestic Halo
    Energy Theft
    Unyielding Faith
    Knight’s Defiance
    Corona of Blinding Radiance replaces Unyielding Faith
    Dragon Tempest replaces Majestic Halo
    Discipline the Unruly replaces Knight’s Defiance
    Quicksilver Blade replaces Energy Theft

Utility:
    Virtue
    Armanthor’s Step
    Call of Challenge
    Countering Breath
    Indomitiable Ally
    Failure Is No option

Gear:
    Soulwarding Plate Armor
    Rhythm Spiked Shield
    Longsword
    Brooch of Vitality
    Iron Armbands of Power
    Boots of Quickness
    Foe Caller Gauntlets
    Coif of Mindiron
    Ring of Free Time
    Shadow Band
    Diamond Cincture
    Eberron Shard of Lightning
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.