New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Swordsage variant question.

So, for a character I have in a game, I'm thinking of becoming a swordsage, specifically an unarmed swordsage. But since my character is a dire werewolf and has a natural attack (claw), I was thinking of making it more like a natural attack progression rather than the monk's unarmed strike progression.

Would it be better to have the claw progression or the unarmed strike progression?
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Swordsage variant question.

You can have both.

Natural weapons can be added to a full attack, so long as the weapons you make your iterative attacks with don't interfere with your natural weapons. If you made sword attacks, you couldn't make claw attacks since the claw is holding the sword. Since UASs don't take up a hand, and can be made with any part of your body, you can make BOTH!

Do note, thats only on a full attack. If you attack with a strike, you are attacking as a standard action, not making a full attack.

Example:

If you have a BAB of +11, and you DON'T have Multiattack, your routine will be:
    UAS: +11/+6/+1
    Claw: +6/+6
    Bite: +6
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2010-11-23 at 08:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Swordsage variant question.

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    You can have both.

Natural weapons can be added to a full attack, so long as the weapons you make your iterative attacks with don't interfere with your natural weapons. If you made sword attacks, you couldn't make claw attacks since the claw is holding the sword. Since UASs don't take up a hand, and can be made with any part of your body, you can make BOTH!

Do note, thats only on a full attack. If you attack with a strike, you are attacking as a standard action, not making a full attack.

Example:

If you have a BAB of +11, and you DON'T have Multiattack, your routine will be:
    UAS: +11/+6/+1
    Claw: +6/+6
    Bite: +6
    :D You sir, just made my day.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.