Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Question [3.5] Which classes feel "just right" power-wise through levels 1-20?

We've had many threads about how (im)potent a class or a class feature is, but which classes strike a fair balance between I WIN and i wish i could do something?
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Which classes feel "just right" power-wise through levels 1-20?

Anything in T3 really

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Which classes feel "just right" power-wise through levels 1-20?

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Anything in T3 really
    Which is?
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    Which is?
    T3 stands for Tier 3

Useful at all levels, powerful and capable without being world-breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Tier 3. As per JaronK's Tier System, which seeks to rate the relative power level of the classes according to how well they stack up against each other in terms of flexibility and utility and how well they can respond to a wide variety of situations.

Linky
    Adventures in the Borderlands [5E] - IC-Ch.0 / OC
    Face on the Water [Wanderhome] - IC-Ch.1 / OC
    A Concerto of Death [5E] - IC / OC / Awreen

Tarot-Mage-atar by Cuthalion, may his pixels never die.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

The Warblade.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Barbarian seems goood to me.

Elf ranger went a scoutin' and found a half-dragon ogre with a greataxe. I soon had a half-elf. ~ Pelfaid's first character death.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I always thought the "specialized" casters felt balanced, such as Beguiler, War Mage and Dread Necromancer. They are easily the most balanced casters. I wish they made some more for the other schools of magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

You should be able to find a complete list here. It is a list of high quality Tier 3 homebrew and published classes that should meet all roleplaying needs.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

I'd say Beguiler and DFA are overpowered at levels 1-2, though that's a small enough part of 1-20 to forgive them. DFA is tier 3, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay View Post
    I'd say Beguiler and DFA are overpowered at levels 1-2, though that's a small enough part of 1-20 to forgive them. DFA is tier 3, right?
    Two things.
    One how is beguiler overpowered at level 1-2? Is it because they have a large selection of first level spells to choose from?

Two: What is a DFA?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
    You should be able to find a complete list here. It is a list of high quality Tier 3 homebrew and published classes that should meet all roleplaying needs.
    Wasn't the ebon initiate given as a tier two class by ErrantX himself?

Anyway, I'd never go so far as to call that a complete list. There are countless creations that could easily fit into that list which aren't on it right now.

I like where you're going with the idea, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Two: What is a DFA?
    Dragonfire adept.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-11-19 at 01:47 AM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Two things.
    One how is beguiler overpowered at level 1-2? Is it because they have a large selection of first level spells to choose from?
    Well, the fact that they have fourteen first level spells known, including most of the batman wizard's level 1 spell list and much more, is a part of it. The fact that they cast from all of it spontaneously is another. The icing is that they also get a d6 hit die, casting in light armor, 6+int skill points from a great list, and even trapfinding to make the rogue go cry in a corner. To be honest, at level 1 there's not much a Cleric/Wizard/Rogue/Fighter team could cover that a Druid/Beguiler team couldn't except for action economy.
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

DFA is tier 3, right?
    Nope tier 4, albeit closer to tier 3 than the warlock.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Nope tier 4, albeit closer to tier 3 than the warlock.
    I guess class power more naturally lies on a spectrum; we just chop it up into tiers to make sense of it. For instance, Beguiler is probably high Tier 3, and Druid is either high Tier 1 (off the shelf, lower level) or low Tier 1 (high op, high level).
    Last edited by GoodbyeSoberDay; 2010-11-19 at 02:33 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I guess class power more naturally lies on a spectrum; we just chop it up into tiers to make sense of it. For instance, Beguiler is probably high Tier 3, and Druid is either high Tier 1 (off the shelf, lower level) or low Tier 1 (high op, high level).
    yeah, iirc, barbarians are low tier 4 and fighters are high tier 5 (such that actual class features, zhentarim soldier/dungeoncrasher send 'em into tier 4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

most ToB stuff is ok
    Barbarian is good and stays just right especially with PrCs.
    Rogues are of course appropriate.
    So are scouts.
    Most t3-t4 stuff is good

some edited/strengthened t5 stuff can also be good (ex PF fighter)
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I'm not sure why DFA would be overpowered at levels 1-2, even with entangling exhalation for the increased breath damage.
    BEEP.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    I'm not sure why DFA would be overpowered at levels 1-2, even with entangling exhalation for the increased breath damage.
    It's damage + entangle, at will. Always-on abilities are at a premium at low levels, and EE breath is almost as good as one of the wizard's spells.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Well, DFAs can destroy the whole world with a standard action at level 1. I'd call that overpowered.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Well, DFAs can destroy the whole world with a standard action at level 1. I'd call that overpowered.
    Why stop there? Burn a feat to get knowledge (the planes) as a class skill.
    Last edited by Boci; 2010-11-19 at 06:08 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

If thats your basis for calling them overpowered lets throw Paladin on that list as well :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FelixG View Post
    If thats your basis for calling them overpowered lets throw Paladin on that list as well :P
    DFA can make it by accident, that's the thing.
    'I took Clinging Breath and Extend Breath, they seemed so useful.
    ...wait a second, there is no limit to how long I can extend/make it cling?!'

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

DFA can make it by accident, that's the thing.
    'I took Clinging Breath and Extend Breath, they seemed so useful.
    ...wait a second, there is no limit to how long I can extend/make it cling?!'
    Don't you need enlarge/widen? Extend just make it last in its area for longer.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Don't you need enlarge/widen? Extend just make it last in its area for longer.
    Oh, Enlarge Breath, that's it.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Oh I see, TO dubious cheese does indeed break classes. Not a problem inherently with the DFA, just the player.
    BEEP.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Oh I see, TO dubious cheese does indeed break classes. Not a problem inherently with the DFA, just the player.
    There's nothing dubious about metabreath feat cheese.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    There's nothing dubious about metabreath feat cheese.
    Clinging, no, enlarge, yes, and frankly "cheese that can go off at level 1" doesn't make sense in the context of "overpowered at level 1-2, but fine 3-20".

It's damage + entangle, at will. Always-on abilities are at a premium at low levels, and EE breath is almost as good as one of the wizard's spells.
    Eh, I'm not convinced. While entangle is decently good against the right opponents, it's not a full shutdown in the same vein as color spray, or sleep or grease.
    Last edited by Kylarra; 2010-11-19 at 12:07 PM.
    BEEP.

29. - Top - End - #29

NecromancerGuy

To answer Endarire's original query, I think Dread Necromancer strikes the straightest, truest balance between 'I win' and 'I wish I could do something (at this level),' for my preferred playstyle.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

RogueGuy

I will go out there and say most of the classes that get some skill points + focused class skill list + focused spell casting + class features are mostly balanced, doubly so when you compare them apples to apples with eachother.