Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Schlock Mercenary thread: The Tub is Full of Happiness Again

After nearly two years of believing Petey betrayed the Toughs, Captain Tagon finally learns the truth... from someone he actually trusts.

This has been today's Crowning Moment of Heartwarming.
    The Evil Midnight Lurker what Lurks at Midnight
    "An object at rest -- CANNOT BE STOPPED!!!!!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary thread: The Tub is Full of Happiness Again

I've been wondering why there isn't a Schlock thread on here...anyway, heartwarming as it is, surely it's a bit dangerous? If the UNS find out that the Toughs and Petey are friends again, they might assume they've remembered everything and will be out to make the memory loss a bit more permanent this time!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

That's only if they find out. Petey is doing his best to be circimspect. I wonder what Petey and LOTA will think of each other though.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm not sure why but I just can't get into Schlock Mercenary. I've read hundreds of the strips in the effort and I'm a fan of Sci Fi stuff, I'm not sure what it is that's hindering my "fandom" for it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Holy crap, the art's progressed in that comic.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    Holy crap, the art's progressed in that comic.
    With the possible exception of Gunnerkrigg,I think Schlock is the comic with the greatest level of art progression I've ever seen.

And theoretically, the Tough's could now work for/be friends with Petey, without raising too much suspicion. Also, they don't actually remember Project Lazarus, they just know that they forgot it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

For Gunnerkrigg, the art progression is more striking because it was over a shorter period of time.

But yeah, the art in Schlock went from bad to okay to nice to pretty good. The lesson here, folk, is that if you draw every day for several years, you get better at it. (It would seem obvious, but looking at Dominic Deegan, one may doubt.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

8. - Top - End - #8

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    That's only if they find out. Petey is doing his best to be circimspect. I wonder what Petey and LOTA will think of each other though.
    Still a worry. As for Petey and LOTA, the latter has a nice pretty weapon that can shoot out a single target with ease. The former has control of thousands of ships and the resources of the Galactic Core. What they think of each other isn't going to be a problem!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Yep, today's was a fun strip. I loved the battle, too - Schlock is great on action sequences.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and Book #10 in the series, Fallen, is out as of September 2019. For updates, check my blog!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Still a worry. As for Petey and LOTA, the latter has a nice pretty weapon that can shoot out a single target with ease. The former has control of thousands of ships and the resources of the Galactic Core. What they think of each other isn't going to be a problem!
    Though this Does raise an interesting question. We now have two unstoppable cyber-despots running around. Petey, who could win a conventional war with any galactic power but probably wouldn't bother because he would just go for a non-conventional war (If he could spare the power to teraport-bomb their high command). And LOTA, who has what is pretty much the ultimate weapon, how are these two superpowers going to interact, because I doubt LOTA would be willing to merge with the Fleetmind.

Also, what is it with the Tough's seeding unbelievably powerful AI's everywhere they go. You've got Petey (used to be their ship), LOTA (Built from spare parts to Unload Cargo of all things), Lunnesby (More or less by accident). All of them are, or were, very powerful (Lunessby basically WAS the local government for most of Sol System). Next thing we know, Ennsby is going to end up with a pun-powered black hole generator, and Tailor is going to prove String Theory and then sew those strings into a Universe Sweater or something.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Though this Does raise an interesting question. We now have two unstoppable cyber-despots running around. Petey, who could win a conventional war with any galactic power but probably wouldn't bother because he would just go for a non-conventional war (If he could spare the power to teraport-bomb their high command). And LOTA, who has what is pretty much the ultimate weapon, how are these two superpowers going to interact, because I doubt LOTA would be willing to merge with the Fleetmind.
    One must remember that there is an enemy in another galaxy that is trying VERY hard to kill everyone in the Milky Way. Petey know about it and is the only reason the Milk Way is atill alive. But not many others know about it.

As for the Toughs and AI's there will be more on this coming up I think. There was a HUGE hint that some AI's where actually controling (or trying to) humanity (and maybe other species) from behind the scenes and not in a good way. They are the ones that want Lunnesby dead.

12. - Top - End - #12

PirateGuy

Which means we may be seeing Judd Shafter again at some point. Naming the group (Shafter's Shifters) can't be anything but a Chekov's Gun that Howard wants to build a target for later.

As for Pete and King LOTA, I wouldn't exactly be shocked if they had already met. In fact I would be brain-stompingly astounded if they hadn't. They're both AI's with a lot of similar ideas, and communication in that universe is not difficult -- and neither is finding Petey, if you're really trying to do so.
    Last edited by Imgran; 2010-11-21 at 03:22 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

We can certainly guess that LOTA isn't part of the Fleetmind, since Petey would have then known that LOTA was planning to fire the Big Gun.

Also, Petey never tried to contact the Toughs before this... so it's probable that things have changed and he's now in a position to be able to tell them the truth without endangering them. What the new position is... since he's had to tie up so many resources lately, I'm guessing the Paa'nuri are on the offensive and keeping the UNS happy is just not that important at the moment.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Lurker View Post
    We can certainly guess that LOTA isn't part of the Fleetmind, since Petey would have then known that LOTA was planning to fire the Big Gun.

Also, Petey never tried to contact the Toughs before this... so it's probable that things have changed and he's now in a position to be able to tell them the truth without endangering them. What the new position is... since he's had to tie up so many resources lately, I'm guessing the Paa'nuri are on the offensive and keeping the UNS happy is just not that important at the moment.
    More that he was forced into things by circumstances. General Tagon and Kev1 were kidnapped. Petey intervened, both because they were his friends, and because having Kevyn's intellect in the hands of mobsters was not a good thing.
    He got more involved in the mission than he intended to, when he hacked Ennesby to help salvage the Foxtrot, now that he's personally involved, he probably feels he needs to give the Toughs some answers, rather than just vanishing.
    Also, the Memories the UNS gave the Toughs were specifically designed to make them not trust Petey, so if Petey wants to regain their trust, he needs to tell them the truth, that those memories are false. It's possible this is leading in to him having some job for the Toughs, or it might just be circumstances dictating his actions.
    Personally, I think Petey may want the Toughs help, they are the only ones who really know LOTA, also, you now have Lunnesby running around somewhere, and Petey may need her help for something.
    Remember, each of the three Commands gave us a dangling plot thread.
    Spoiler
    Show

Credomar Command, Obviously, gave us LOTA and his unstoppable hyperspace super cannon.
    Barsoom Command showed us that Lunnesby has been driven out, and while she is still free, she is no longer pulling strings in the UNS (Strings they may have prevented the UNS from trying to take Petey down while he's distracted in Andromeda).
    And Mallcop Command gave us...well...nothing really, except for it started a pattern of Tagon getting silverware in his eye.

Also, is it just me, or is Howard going on a costume-changing kick. He's had the Toughs running around in bulletproof spandex for years, then he gave Tagon new duds, had them wear civillian clothes, gave them the Mallcop uniforms, and then their new Uniforms. This last mission had a motley combination of Power armor, old style uniforms, new style uniforms, and no uniforms. Plus, the way Tagon keeps losing his Eye makes me think an eye patch (or some sort of cybernetic implant) may become a permanent part of his character design. Maybe Tailor's jury-rigged surgery (his tools are built for making clothing, he was able to use them, but there may be lasting side effects) means Bunningus can't easily re-grow Tagon's eye (Even with the good equipment on board the TAG), so he settles for the Eye Patch until he can find time to get a new eye, which is never.
    [/Center]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show

And Mallcop Command gave us...well...nothing really, except for it started a pattern of Tagon getting silverware in his eye.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There was a thread dangeling there. Someone had a plan to bring in lowlifes (the Toughs where handy) to the station and go really overboard doing their job and casue a lot of damage and deaths. http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2010-06-21 Part of a long term plan that water breathing species has.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Yay! Another thread. Hopefully this one will stick around, Schlock threads have a tendency to loose steam, possibly due to the relatively slow pace of the story.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    There was a thread dangeling there. Someone had a plan to bring in lowlifes (the Toughs where handy) to the station and go really overboard doing their job and casue a lot of damage and deaths. http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2010-06-21 Part of a long term plan that water breathing species has.
    Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, but I don't know. Lunnesby and LOTA seemed more relevant than what looks like a sneaky cultural exchange program.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDMMk3 View Post
    Yay! Another thread. Hopefully this one will stick around, Schlock threads have a tendency to loose steam, possibly due to the relatively slow pace of the story.
    Well, the story moves plenty fast time wise, it's just that each individual update rarely kicks it along too much (seeing as how frequent they are). Each page (Well, Strip is more appropriate) tends not to have much to talk about, so threads sadly tend to die.
    [/Center]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    For Gunnerkrigg, the art progression is more striking because it was over a shorter period of time.

But yeah, the art in Schlock went from bad to okay to nice to pretty good. The lesson here, folk, is that if you draw every day for several years, you get better at it. (It would seem obvious, but looking at Dominic Deegan, one may doubt.)
    But Howard doesn't draw everyday, he just draws a comic FOR everyday. And tends to have a crazy big buffer. Well, it is big by webcomic standards where most comics have a buffer size of negative five.

On the other hand, I am given to understand that Dominic Deegan is drawn every day at the last minute possible to maintain whatever schedule DD is trying to run on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    We should change the collective noun for crocodiles to "an abundance of crocodiles".
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

With the possible exception of Gunnerkrigg,I think Schlock is the comic with the greatest level of art progression I've ever seen.
    I think I'd award that dubious prize to A Girl and Her Fed (if you go check that one, note that the "First" link goes to a redrawn strip now... click the little arrow in the lower right corner of the comic to see what it originally looked like), with CRFH!!! as first runner-up, and Schlock placing around third. Gunnerkrigg's way, way down on the list in improvement terms because it began at a much higher level.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

No questionable content? For Shame. As the creator himself said, if you don't like the art, wait a week and it will be different.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

It's a gut judgement thing QC and A Girl and her Fed (both of which I read) more jumped Styles than anything (Especially AGaHF). The art is certain Better on both comics now, but in my head, it's more like a Stylistic shift than plain improvement, along with some considerable tweaking of course.
    I would call Schlock the same art style as it was when it began, just vastly improved. Martin of QC#1 is basically unidentifiable as the Martin today, but Schlock...Bad example. Today's Tagon is still in the same general style as his first appearance, only drawn much better.
    So, the Toughs are back on the U.N.S's Most Wanted list, isn't that fun. I think the UNS, more than any other group, is the most frequent antagonist for the Toughs. Which, when you consider that the majority of the Tough's seem like ex UNS soldiers.

Hrmm, come to think about it, how many of the toughs were Ex-UNS. They picked up Para, Aardy, and the Monkeys on a UNS battleplate, meaning they were probably millitary of some sort or another (Para was a civilian contractor, and battleplates are basically flying cities anyway, but still). I think most of the Humans are from Celeshul, Tagon certainly was, and I think it's mentioned that Elf and Der Trihs were as well. In my headcanon, most of the original Human Toughs (like Brad) are from Celeshul, since thats where Tagon would have started recruiting.
    Last edited by BRC; 2010-11-21 at 11:23 PM.
    [/Center]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

They picked up some humans on the battleplate in addition to their monkey, gorilla, and elephant acquisitions. I like how these days the majority of the toughs are human* background characters, just like in the beginning.

*Or human uplifted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    We should change the collective noun for crocodiles to "an abundance of crocodiles".
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Ok. Turns out that the toughs have some kind of "friend quota", if they have more than a certain number old friends decide to murder them...
    GNU Terry Pratchett

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Why do you say that?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

25. - Top - End - #25

BlackDragon

Guess that answers my earlier question--if the UNS are hunting the Toughs down anyway they'd be better off re-associating with Petey since he can offer some protection!

26. - Top - End - #26

I like the Touch-and-Go, especially the new squashed version, but I'm hoping Petey can spare a good old-fashioned Thunderhead Superfortress for the Toughs. I miss the classic PDCL.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

One of the reasons of the new/better art style of schlock mercenary is not only the improvments of Taylor, but also that he hired an coulorist a few months ago.
    I am looking for fanfiction of the Culture or other books in the same vein. Any Ideas? PM me or post here.

Preparing to overwrite "reality". Done.

28. - Top - End - #28

BlackDragon

I don't think the new colourist explains more than a fraction of the improvement in the art, though--just check out a strip from a year ago (before he hired the new guy) and compare with the first strips he drew, and you'll see he'd improved massively even without the improvement in the shading.

29. - Top - End - #29

...Oh ho. Petey's giving them a refit. That could very well put the Touch-and-Go in an entirely new weight class.

30. - Top - End - #30

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Lurker View Post
    ...Oh ho. Petey's giving them a refit. That could very well put the Touch-and-Go in an entirely new weight class.
    Now, now, you know better than to even let a woman think you're calling her fat. Especially if she has more ways to kill you than years you've lived.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide