New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Lycanthropy

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Lycanthropy

Can monstrous humanoids, such as yeti's and Thri-kreen, inherit this templete
    An idea that isn't dangerous is hardly worth being called an idea at all.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Lycanthropy

"Lycanthrope" is a template that can be added to any humanoid or giant (referred to hereafter as the base creature). The lycanthrope template can be inherited (for natural lycanthropes) or acquired (for afflicted lycanthropes). Becoming a lycanthrope is very much like multiclassing as an animal and gaining the appropriate Hit Dice.
    No
    Somewhitetext
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Okay, because I was going to make a Yeti Werbear (Polar) lord (dire polar bear), but I guess I'll instead use a frost giant, thanks for the help

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos4knuckles View Post
    Okay, because I was going to make a Yeti Werbear (Polar) lord (dire polar bear), but I guess I'll instead use a frost giant, thanks for the help
    If you like the idea, do it. Most players, during gameplay, are unlikely to notice such a minor detail. Even if they do, and your idea is cool and played out well, no one is likely to care. On the off chance someone does both notice, and care enough to say something... BAM! You've got a new adventure hook, because everyone knows that when something impossible happens A Wizard Did It! That means there is a psychotic wizard out there somewhere tinkering with magic to spread Lycanthropy to new types of creatures and such a menace must be stopped by a mighty group of heroes!

Sounds like a win win situation to me.
    A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Warlawk View Post
    If you like the idea, do it. Most players, during gameplay, are unlikely to notice such a minor detail. Even if they do, and your idea is cool and played out well, no one is likely to care.
    WoTC actually encourage giving templates to monsters that can't normally take them, in these articles:

Creatures That Cannot Be
    Creatures That Cannot Be II
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

actually looking over those two articles, it answers another thing I was going to create; a tauric mindflayer/giant squid. I'm going to put the creature within the far realm as part of a temple for a side-quest (major quest if they understood) for the current campaign. I might still make the yeti werebear, but not entirely sure though. Thanks for the help and links guys

7. - Top - End - #7
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos4knuckles View Post
    Go for it. It's cool, it's an NPC... those two combined make it work. I wouldn't allow it on a thri-kreen (just sounds weird), but a yeti dire werebear? That's some brown trousers time for a PC, right there.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Go for it. It's cool, it's an NPC... those two combined make it work. I wouldn't allow it on a thri-kreen (just sounds weird), but a yeti dire werebear? That's some brown trousers time for a PC, right there.
    Well.... you don't describe it as a Were-Thrikreen/chipmunk, you describe it as this giant chipmunk with mandibles sprouting from his mouth and 4 arms tipped with chitinous claws that just leaped on top of the party from 80 feet out!

I think a were-kreen is kinda silly too, but I just couldn't get that image out of my head.
    A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Well.... you don't describe it as a Were-Thrikreen/chipmunk, you describe it as this giant chipmunk with mandibles sprouting from his mouth and 4 arms tipped with chitinous claws that just leaped on top of the party from 80 feet out!

I think a were-kreen is kinda silly too, but I just couldn't get that image out of my head.
    I view it as just punishment for coming up with an abomination like a were-chipmunk in the first place.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

What if it were an emantothrope, though? Thri-keen were-scorpion would be cool.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Also, when a character gains more than 4 extra hit dice from the lycanthropy template due to the creature, do they gain an ability adjustment. As well as, if the NpC advanced in levels, and it hit dice exceeded 20 hit dice all together, instead of the class, do I just gain epic BAB and saves?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Animal HD are HD. You gain skill points, feats and ability adjustments as normal.

And if you have racial or animal HD and your total HD ends up more than 20, yes, you're epic.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

The animal HD, because the npc gained 18 HD

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

by RAW you can not
    however a werewolf yeti would be pretty cool
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!