A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default The "Liza Jane" II (docked)

A lovely frigate of 38 guns is docked at the wharf, undergoing a bit of cleaning and repair before her next adventure.

The Liza is painted black with yellow trim and clearly built for speed. Her original, somewhat scandalous figurehead has been recently replaced; though prudish by sailors' standards, her pale blue eyes and long blonde braids are widely believed to bring the ship luck. Her captain's pirate flag (Sable, a skeleton playing the banjo Argent and over all upon a canton Azure bordured Or three bear's heads caboshed of the third) flies proudly from the maintopmast.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King and Alarra can be found here when the ship is at sea, and sometimes even when she's in port.

Notable NPCs of the ship:
    -Janae Lamanderi, female elf; First Mate; an excellent navigator and a crack shot with any firearm, she is brusque and all business.
    -Gaelon Halfpenn, male halfling; Second Mate; charming, talkative, and roguish, he and his cousin Whistrevanil often lead a team of fellow halflings on missions requiring stealth.
    -Norman Thresk, male human; Ship's Arcanist; The academic Norman and his apprentices Sebacore and Xanilar maintain the Liza Jane's magic charms and blow things up in battle.
    -Tessa Thresk, female human; Ship's Gunner; Norman's younger sister, Tessa's fiery temper is a perfect match for one overseeing her oft-fiesty guns. Her murderous halfling assistant Faelynn loves nothing quite so much as the smell of spent gunpowder.
    -Jo-Ligh, male giant; Weathermaster; Wind and wave are at his command. Well over 8 feet tall, he wields a massive maul with terrible power in battle.
    -Gaelith Glorymeade, female gnome; Surgeon; a touch absent-minded and jumpy, but a powerful healer. She and the undead-hating elvish cleric Adania keep the crew in good health.
    -Chips, male dwarf; Carpenter; Unlike most of his kin, "Chips" and his crew have a deep affection for things wooden. Nobody knows his real name.
    -Dovis, male half-orc; Bo'sun; a tough disciplinarian, but beloved by the crew and famously dangerous in battle. His human assistant Lothren wields a jagged black sword that he (and nobody else) is convinced is intelligent.
    -Victor, male human?; Victor has been El Jaspero's loyal steward for years, and mothers him shamelessly. Battered and worn, it's unclear what race he actually is, other than "really old".
    -Alilyn Loreweaver, female loresong faen; ship's clerk; Aliliyn is brilliant, charming, and is gifted of fantastic powers of memory, but she's utterly hopeless in combat. Once blades are drawn she is nearly always hiding behind the massive leg of her good friend Jo-Ligh.

A few notes on the Liza Jane:
    -The boat is intensely magical; innumerable runes and crystals are inlaid into the various beams and interior surfaces. Her keel and ribs are, according to legend, fashioned from dragonbone and her sides are darkwood.
    -Several of her cannons are named and bear various charms of accuracy or lethality. Prized among them is Willful Murder, portside #3.
    -The hull, decks, masts, sails, and rigging are charmed against fire.
    -The Liza Jane also has 4 permanent unseen servants, which only respond to the most senior officer in a given area. They are typically used for menial tasks, but in battle they fetch powder and shot from the magazines, freeing valuable hands for firing the guns.

((Edit: As promised, deck plans and a cutaway))

The "Liza Jane" I
    Last edited by El Jaspero, the Pirate King; 2007-04-18 at 07:53 PM.

NASCRAG Judge in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Inner Circle

pirate-man founder me love thog!

Sneak. A. Tar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The "Liza Jane" II (at sea)

It appears that Victor has replaced the breakfast platter with a dinner of pasta bolognese, salads, garlic bread, and a bottle of a semi-sweet Italian red wine.

El J sits at his desk, leafing through a folio of maps marked "Hiddle Mirth".

Spoiler
    Show
    Inner Circle

Sneak. A. Tar.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

(No....I can't come in here for dinner....I have to study....bad Alarra...no town for you today.)

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

((Good, you go study now. One of the Liza's various enchantments is that served food always stays at just the right temperature.))

Spoiler
    Show
    Inner Circle

Sneak. A. Tar.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

(( Tch... Dun worry Alarra, I'll tell everyone to vote for you and me... ))

Avatar credit goes to Faceninja... Thanks mate!
    Star Army, a... Well, Space Opera Roleplaying site.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

((It should be noted that, being an honorable pirate, El Jaspero has a strict "no whoring" policy on his ship.))

Spoiler
    Show
    Inner Circle

Sneak. A. Tar.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

((Go El Jaspero, the Pirate King!))
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

8. - Top - End - #8

(Not to mention that there should be no voting for me for anything....I assume you are talking of the council election? I do not want to be on the council)

Spoiler
    Show

Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

(... Ye should post that at the coucil pages then... And then tell them to vote for me instead...

And then you can go back to breeding.)

Avatar credit goes to Faceninja... Thanks mate!
    Star Army, a... Well, Space Opera Roleplaying site.

10. - Top - End - #10

(now now...and why would i tell them to vote for you anyway? and enough of this marring the lovely pages of this ship)

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

((*taps the No Whoring sign and points a cannon at Kerigan*))

Land ho!

El J smiles, giving Alarra a quick kiss before heading up on deck. Though still far off, the headlands of Hiddle Mirth are clearly before the Liza Jane.

"Masterfully done, Janae. As pretty a landfall as ever was made."

Janae merely nods her head in thanks, and resumes seeing the ship to the coast. El Jaspero runs down to the cabin, grinning with pride and...hope.

"Good news, love: we've spied land, and should be in harbor by morning. We should be in Rivendsmell by tomorrow night!" He puts his arm around her shoulders and gives her a squeeze.

"I do hope they got our reservation."

Spoiler
    Show
    Inner Circle

Sneak. A. Tar.

12. - Top - End - #12

"Oh my, that was much sooner than I'd expected."

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

El J nods.

"Well, the Liza does have a reputation for speed...evidently she's earned it!"

Leaving the business of docking to his crew, El J sits down next to Alarra to watch the sea roll past the cabin windows. Eventually they do, in fact, eat some sort of meal together.

Spoiler
    Show
    Inner Circle

Sneak. A. Tar.

14. - Top - End - #14

And it's a lovely meal, making up completely for the lack of meal yesterday.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

As the ship noticeably slows, El Jaspero's eye lights up. He stands and grabs Alarra's hand.

"Let's go up on deck; the sight of an elvish harbor is something not to be missed!" He bends down to kiss her cheek with a grin. "Quite possibly the second-most beautiful sight in the known world."

Spoiler
    Show
    Inner Circle

Sneak. A. Tar.

16. - Top - End - #16

Alarra smiles and follows El Jaspero onto the deck and stands at the railing, wind teasing through her hair, watching the beautiful landscape rolling ever closer.

"It is lovely."

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

The Liza Jane rounds the final headland into the harbor, and the full harbor comes into view. Tall, elegant spires of ivory and gold reach into the sky, sweeping up from buildings and houses of red and green. The Liza herself, famed for her grace and elegance, is a muddy puppy compared to the artful sweep of the dozens of elvish galleys surrounding her.

El Jaspero takes in the view, but reaches for Alarra's hand. "It's amazing." He gives her hand a squeeze. "But it's nothing to the sight of you. Alarra, I...I'm glad you're here with me. I feel...safe."

Spoiler
    Show
    Inner Circle

Sneak. A. Tar.

18. - Top - End - #18

"Good." She gives his hand a squeeze as well. "And I hope I can make it that you always feel that way."

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

El J looks into Alarra's eyes, still holding her hand

"You do. And you always will."

He looks to the east, and a dark look comes across his face.

"Do you feel that? There's a power stirring in the evil lands of Floordor. A War is brewing, one that will decide the fate of The Hat and likely myself as well."

He caresses her wind-blown hair as the Liza glides to a stop at the wharf. "Whatever happens in the dire days to come, I will always protect you. And I feel better, knowing that you'll be protecting me." He looks into her eyes and smiles again. "...I think you might even save me."

The gangplank drops to the dock with a thud, and El J turns eagerly to the city before them.

"I'm starved...how's Thai food sound?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Inner Circle

Sneak. A. Tar.

20. - Top - End - #20

A look of worry passes over Alarra's face at the mention of a war and dire days, but is quickly replaced by calm and strength. "Thai sounds wonderful."

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

His worries washed away in the joy of Alarra's presence, El J takes her hand and leads her through the streets of the bustling elvish port. People of every race imaginable roam the streets; the Pirate King is stopped several times by people who recognize him, or have heard of him. Each time he bows modestly, but shows off his new wife with shameless pride.

"Bah, Fondorians," he says as they walk away from a trio of admirers. "All they want to do is talk about how great they are, and they haven't had a proper King for, like...centuries or something. Ah, at last!"

El J opens the door to an exquisite Thai restaurant; he gives his name and title, and the couple are immediately given a table in a nice, romantic corner. He calls for two menus in Celestial and a bottle of wine, both of which are delivered by a cheerful elf in a red dress.

Care for some appetizers? Spring rolls, perhaps?

Spoiler
    Show
    Inner Circle

Sneak. A. Tar.

22. - Top - End - #22

"You're certainly well known around here." Alarra smiles at the surroundings.

"Nice place." She glances down at the menu. "Spring Rolls are fine, if that's what you'd like."

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

El J shrugs.

"I've traveled a lot over the years, and being the Pirate King brings a certain amount of fame as well."

He turns to the server. "Spring rolls would be excellent, with plenty of basil. Any recommendations?"

Well, we are quite well-known for our spicy catoblepas pad thai, and chef says the kraken calamari is great tonight.

El J smiles and nods to the elf, and she heads back to the kitchen

"So, tomorrow we'll see Rivendswell at last." He raises his wineglass. "To the elves...and to us!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Inner Circle

Sneak. A. Tar.

24. - Top - End - #24

Alarra smiles and raises her glass as well, "I can hardly wait,"

She sips her wine, "Oh...this is good. And did she mention calimari? I love calimari."

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

El J smiles. "Then calimari it is!"

He flags down their server, a college-bound young elf named Velia. She smiles as the orders are placed (El J is having roc pad thai, medium-spicy) and heads back into the kitchen again.

"Alarra, my love...isn't it amazing what a simple chance encounter can lead to?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Inner Circle

Sneak. A. Tar.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

A large flash happens and a drow with a spellbook falls on the deck by El Jaspero. ...Help...Me... he says before falling unconcious (and thus into negative hitpoints)
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

((Reading the thread might help; Alarra and El Jaspero are not on the Liza Jane, they're at a Thai restaurant in an elvish port city somewhere in Hiddle Mirth at the moment. I'd be happy to help...but I'm away from the ship, and we are in the middle of dinner here.))

Spoiler
    Show
    Inner Circle

Sneak. A. Tar.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a brief disturbance at the door, and the maitre De hurries by to show a well dressed diminutive figure to a table in the corner. The shadow seem to draw in to give the figure an air of mystery.

Some small time later a bottle of very fine vintage elvish wine is delivered to the newlyweds table.

There is a simple folded note with the wine, ((the waitress when questioned cannot recall who sent it))

Lady, to gaze upon you is to delight
    Fear not pirate king I'm not after a fight.
    This gift is to you and your wife
    to wish you each joyous life.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

"Well, this is certainly odd. But the poetry has an oddly familiar ring to it..."

El Jaspero holds the bottle up to his eyepatch and gives it a good looking-over ((detect magic, evil, poison, chaos, law, undead, plot hook: you might just want to PM me the results and the bottle's potential effects, Charity.))

Spoiler
    Show
    Inner Circle

Sneak. A. Tar.

30. - Top - End - #30

Alarra reads over the note and smiles, "Oh, that's sweet."

Spoiler
    Show