New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default A query: Removing XP costs from psionics

As much as possible, when I DM I attempt to remove XP costs. I've never been fond of the idea of XP as a spendable resource, and removing it has the added benefit of not having to keep track of XP at all--I can save myself calculations and just tell the PCs when they level up as is appropriate to the story.

Now with magic and magic item crafting, the easy way to accomplish this removal is to stick the spell or item in question with a substantial material component, as Pathfinder does.

Now, I happen to be working on and off on a Psionics-heavy campaign setting. This method of balancing costs works fine for crafting psionic items...but it's much less elegant a solution for psionic powers, which normally have no components, being drawn entirely from the manifester's will.

Any suggestions, then, on alternate costs for powers like Reality Revision?
    Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free,
    You can't take the sky from me.

Defender of

Don't make me trot out Smite Moron!

Thanks to Sneak for the Avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: A query: Removing XP costs from psionics

Maybe temporary ability score drain? That would give an impact for the higher-level powers, while still giving the player the ability to recoup those losses over time.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you believe it is too powerful without experience costs, it is generally too powerful for a character to have at that level. Either increase the level they get the ability at to something you feel would be balanced or remove the ability altogether.

Of course, the same can be said for all class ability components on a level system, whether it has an experience cost or not.

While you are at this though, you should probably remove permanent negative levels.
    On balance: Just because you don't agree with the level of balance doesn't mean that others cannot. While balance is objective, which balance is being aimed at is subjective.

DnD-Wiki (a place to store your homebrew) (is not DandDWiki) | My Homebrew |
    IRC: #dnd & #havvy | 5 Color Alignment | Why can't https:// links ever work around here?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Korias View Post
    Maybe temporary ability score drain? That would give an impact for the higher-level powers, while still giving the player the ability to recoup those losses over time.
    Drain can be recovered with more psionics. Make it ability burn perhaps.

5. - Top - End - #5

Ability burn could definitely work for at least some of them. The question remains, just how much burn to implement as a cost. Any thoughts?
    Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free,
    You can't take the sky from me.

Defender of

Don't make me trot out Smite Moron!

Thanks to Sneak for the Avatar.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Well, i have an idea. It's something i used once, and i guess it's good fluff. XP drain is supposed to be like, the magic took a heavy toll in the character. So, depending on the story, temporary level loss could work, or story-wise, maybe he's in a coma, or exhausted. It all depends on the circumstances, and adapting it on the run depending on what the ability is used for, i think it's best.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Do i or do i not?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Drain can be recovered with more psionics. Make it ability burn perhaps.
    Ability Burn can be recovered just by sleeping for a few days. In my opinion, if you're going to give the power a cost that's going to be equivalent to XP loss, then it should be just as difficult to get back. In order to regain XP you have to do something to get it back, i.e. adventuring.

Maybe take the power points used in the power, including any augmentations (if the power has any), and make the cost a permanent one until they level up?
    Be happy. Be mad. Be happily mad.

8. - Top - End - #8

According to the spell pricing guide, NPCs charge 5 GP for 1 XP. This is further supported by the RPGA, which made crafters pay 70% of magic item costs (the math works out exactly.)

So, the solution is simple. Let psions use expensive gems as material components.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomar_of_Uointer View Post
    According to the spell pricing guide, NPCs charge 5 GP for 1 XP. This is further supported by the RPGA, which made crafters pay 70% of magic item costs (the math works out exactly.)

So, the solution is simple. Let psions use expensive gems as material components.
    Crystals, my dear man. Psionics is all about who has the most crystals.