New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Don't Fear the Reaper[Grim Reaper feats, 3.5, PEACH]

Background- Just came to me after making the Vampire Wanna-Be PrC.

Background

Death is all around us. It exists everywhere we look. So, it's no surprise that some gain power from it, drawing strength from their nearness to death. These people are Reapers, living soldiers of the power that death holds. These people enforce the rules of death, and also use their powers to bring those who oppose them even closer to death than they are.

Death's Chosen[Reaper]
    Benefit:
    You gain an aura of terror, having realized and embodied with the power that Death holds. This makes you more imposing, granting a +2 to Intimidate checks. In addition, you gain a bonus to saves against fear effects equal to 1 + 1/2 the Reaper feats you have. Also, you gain the power to summon the garb of a Reaper as a free action. This can either summon a black cloak that obscures your features, or simply makes your present attire reaper-themed, making it shades of black and grey, and making some minor adjustments to make it seem more gothic. The change into the garb does not grant a Disguise bonus of any kind, as anyone who knows you can easily recognize you despite the wardrobe change.
    Special: You must swear the Reaper's Oath, which involves:
    • Easing the dying gently towards death
    • Bringing severe transgressors of the nature of life and death before her to be judged (guess how). Besides undead, this includes those who have been resurrected and those who have killed others for other reasons than duty or self-preservation.
    • Slay all sentient undead you come across. These beings seek to defy the power death holds, and must be punished.
    • Slay all mindless undead. These are animated by forces that attempt to defy death.
    • Seeking opportunities to carry out the duties of their oath. This must be done at least 3 times a year.
    • Carry out this work wisely. Reapers are not required to do their duties if a transgressor or undead has more HD than they do.

Grim Reaper[Reaper]
    Prerequisite:
    Death's Chosen, 6th level
    Benefit: Your aura of fearlessness puts off others. You gain an aura that acts as Frightful Presence, except that creatures of up to 4 + 1/2 the number of Reaper feats you have become panicked if they fail their save.

Reaper's Scythe[Reaper]
    Prerequisite:
    Death's Chosen
    Benefit: The reaper gains the ability to summon a scythe made of death's power as a move action, and is treated as proficient with this scythe. This scythe deals damage equal to 1d6 + 1/2 the number of Reaper feats you have. Against transgressors and undead, it deals damage equal to 1d6 + the number of Reaper feats you have, and has a critical range of 18-20. You can make critical hits on undead using the scythe granted by this feat. The scythe stays until dismissed or taken out of your hands for more than 1 round.

Death's Edge[Reaper]
    Prerequisites:
    Death's Chosen, Reaper's Scythe, 6th level
    Benefit: You gain a bonus to attack rolls with the scythe equal to 1/2 the number of Reaper feats you have. Also, your normal critical range for the scythe becomes 19-20. Additionally, for a number of rounds per day equal to the number of Reaper feats you have, you may increase the scythe's critical range against transgressors and undead by 1 per Reaper feat.

Death's Proxy[Reaper]
    Prerequisite:
    Death's Chosen, 6th level
    Benefit: The Reaper may now animate a Death's Proxy. This acts as Animate Dead, except that it has no material components, and all animated with this effect have the Deathless type instead of the Undead type. You may control a total of (your HD + number of Reaper feats) HD of undead, and cannot animate a Death's Proxy that has more HD than you have Reaper feats. This may be done 1/day.

Destroy the Defiled[Reaper]
    Prerequisite:
    Death's Chosen, 3rd level
    Benefit: You gain an attack that is most powerful against those you oppose. You gain the ability to fire a ball filled with Death's power at an enemy within 5 ft + 5 ft/ Reaper feat you have. This ball deals 1d8 damage per Reaper feat against transgressors and undead. Against all other enemies, this attack deals 3/4 damage. You may fire off 1 ball/Reaper feats you have per day.

Death's Protection[Reaper]
    Prerequisite:
    Death's Chosen
    Benefit: When wearing the garb of the Reaper and wearing no other armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC for every Reaper feat you possess. When wearing armor and wearing the garb of the Reaper, you gain a +1 bonus to AC equal to 1/2 the number of Reaper feats you have.

Death's Dirge[Reaper]
    Prerequisites:
    Death's Chosen, Bardic Music
    Benefit: You may sacrifice a use of Bardic Music in order to make use of one Reaper feat for free, or to treat the use of a Reaper feat as though you possessed one more feat than you already do for a number of rounds equal to 1 + the number of Reaper feats you have.

Deny the Defiled[Reaper]
    Prerequisites:
    Death's Chosen, Destroy the Defiled, 6th level
    Benefit: You gain the effect of a Magic Circle effect that works against transgressors and undead. This may be used 1 per day per two Reaper feats you have, and you treat your caster level as equal to the number of Reaper feats you have.

Discipline the Defiled[Reaper]
    Prerequisites:
    Death's Chosen, Destroy the Defiled, Deny the Defiled, 9th level
    Benefit: You gain the ability to use Turn Undead as a good cleric once per day per two Reaper feats you have. This works as normal Turn Undead, except that it also works on transgressors and your effective cleric level is equal to 1/2 your HD + the number of Reaper feats you have.

Death's Delegate[Reaper]
    Prerequisites:
    Death's Chosen, three other Reaper feats, 12th level
    Benefit: You become a living embodiment of Death's will in the world. Firstly, you can treat all creatures as undead or transgressors for the purpose of your reaper feats. Secondly, you can summon an avatar of Death 1 per day per three Reaper feats you possess. This avatar has the same stats as a vampire fighter of your race with fighter levels equal to the number of Reaper feats you have - 1, except that it's alignment is the same as yours, and it has the Deathless type. Lastly, Death grants you a reprieve from your natural death so that you can continue its work in the world, granting you the Deathless type.

Please Comment and PEACH!
    Last edited by Pyromancer999; 2011-01-21 at 09:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Don't Fear the Reaper[Reaper feats, 3.5, PEACH]

Aw... Not feats for if you're a member of "[t]he immortal race of sentient starships, allegedly waiting in dark space"?

That saddens me...
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

3. - Top - End - #3

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post
    Aw... Not feats for if you're a member of "[t]he immortal race of sentient starships, allegedly waiting in dark space"?

That saddens me...
    My apologies.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

I'll be honest. That was what I came here looking for too. But in lieu of that, these are pretty cool. Who doesn't want to be Death? Especially if we're talking the Discworld's Death.

They look pretty well-balanced. I can't see anything wrong. Nice work!
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    And two out of three leading anthropomorphic personifications of death agree on the matter.
    Happy to be PMed for rants about stuff, lousy jokes, challenges to a duel because I impugned your honour in that restaurant last night. Look, how was I supposed to know it'd fly that far?

5. - Top - End - #5

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Insanealien View Post
    I'll be honest. That was what I came here looking for too.
    Yeah, going to need to change part of the title to clarify Grim Reaper.
    But in lieu of that, these are pretty cool. Who doesn't want to be Death? Especially if we're talking the Discworld's Death.

They look pretty well-balanced. I can't see anything wrong. Nice work!
    Thanks!

6. - Top - End - #6

Default Re: Don't Fear the Reaper[Grim Reaper feats, 3.5, PEACH]

These abilities and the theme that they embody seem to be better suited to a class that feats.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, for the most part it seems good, but I find myself having some trouble with the Reaper's Oath.
    Bringing severe transgressors of the nature of life and death (a.k.a. repeated murderers) before her to be judged (guess how)
    So, this would apply to pretty much anything hostile you run across. I mean, even if it's called differently, anything that kills something else would be a murderer. So most soldiers who see regular combat, most monsters (exceptions may be made for things just trying to eat, but still), bandits that will kill people (criminals that only commit theft may be among the few people who wouldn't fit in here you might fight, along with those who haven't done so enough yet to be considered doing it regularly). Even you would fall under this as you're going around killing the people who do this (mind you may get off for working for death, but still). This seems like it could use some more defining since it seems somewhat important.
    Slay all sentient undead you come across. These beings seek to defy the power death holds, and must be punished.
    First, this should have some qualifier along the lines of if it is within your ability to do so. Seems like it would be rather bad if you had to attack some powerful undead at level 2 or 3 that you had no chance against because of this, rather then gaining power first so you might actually be effective.
    Second, what about those who are undead due to reasons beyond their control? They aren't trying to defy death, they simply can't help it.
    Third, depending on ones take this doesn't make sense, as having died they would already be in death's power, and thus unable to go against its will. The ones who really should be targeted are those who use methods to prevent death to begin with thus unnaturally extending their lifespan.
    Slay all mindless undead. These are animated by forces that attempt to defy death.
    Again this should have some qualifier as above. However, depending on ones take, mindless undead don't really defy death. They can be seen as little different from mindless constructs with but a different choice in building material.

I'll grant though that on the inclusion of undead as transgressors, that is more a personal choice and may vary with setting. Keep up the good work tough.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

For Destroy the Defiled is it supposed to be 1 ball per reaper feat per day?
    or do you have to keep taking reaper feats?

This is cool, simply cool.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

A definite Reaper feat would be the ability to kill people dead. And let me explain; it means to kill people so the next person with more money than they care to count goes and resurrects them. Maybe like Gentle Repose or something. Seriously, DMs rezzing their villains and players rezzing each other gets seriously annoying sometimes.

Another feat could be the ability to sacrifice some HP to deal damage to your enemy. Say loose 1D4 hp and your next attack deals an extra 1D6 or something.

Also, may I clarify something; a Death god would not like Undead since they intrude into his domain, so maybe you could have a feat that deals more damage to them? I imagine you would be upset too if someone got into your house and started raiding whatever collections you have... Imagine a god reacting to that. Youchies...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll point out they already do extra damage to undead with the scythe, though you bring up a good point about resurrected people. I personally find the resurrected to be much more defying of death than the undead.

Personally though, I see undead as beings that, while staving off some of the effects of death, are, due to being within its domain, completely subjected to deaths will. Thus if death told an undead to do something it would have to do it and would get no save against it. Creating undead (at least sentient ones), seems like it would actually require deaths consent to an extent.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I have to second the idea that the oath needs a little more work (especially a better definition of transgressors), and I do have one complaint: For all this talk about an aura of fearlessness all it does is make you more intimidating. Maybe throw in an additional bonus to saves versus fear for the first feat?
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

12. - Top - End - #12

Can you enchant the scythe you get from Reaper's Scythe?
    What kind of action does it take to summon it and for how long does it stay? How do you dismiss it? What happens if it is lost or destroyed?
    Last edited by drakir_nosslin; 2011-01-21 at 03:48 AM.
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ressurection is a... problem in DnD. There is the fact that it's usefull for not scrapping your character because of a failed save or bad roll (all the more terrifying in higher levels with what a Tier 2 class and above can do), but at the same time it's become... trivial. Heck, you can make your character live longer by killing yourself and having a minion/ally True Rezz you somewhere else. Who hasn't thought of that little twist? That's why I said about killing people dead. Killing the Big Bad Dude Of Destruction just doesn't really seem all that world-shaking any more - the DM can just rezz him.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

You have niticed that loads of these feats grant bonuses to critical undead but none of them actually grant you the ABILITY to actually score criticals on! undead?
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm. Generally seems good, except for one thing:

If you're going to get one of these, you probably want to get all of them, as their power is dependent on how many you have. And given that they don't deal with what class the character is, the Reaper part of the character is hogging all of the Feats from the normal class. Some players may think of themselves more as a Reaper than a ____.

Why not adapt these into a Standard or Prestige Class? Most of these would make fine Class Abilities.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

16. - Top - End - #16

RedWizardGuy

Yeah, looked it over. Going to add provisions to the oath that clarify transgressors, and also expand that definition to include resurrected. Didn't think of those. Also should include a provision that going after such a being is not mandatory if the target's HD exceeds theirs.

As for why this is a gigantic feat chain instead of a prestige class or standard class, let me explain my reasons:

1. I don't think it's really small enough for a 5-level prestige class, nor a 10-level one. May make a small PrC to enhance these feats, but I really don't know
    2. It's not big enough for a standard class. Stretching them out, I might be able to make a 11-12 level class. Which, while better suited to be a PrC, I prefer my Prestige Classes in 10 or 5-level forms
    3. As for the comment that characters may think of themselves as Reapers a bit more than a member of their other class levels, well, they should. In my campaign, this feat chain is what is called a Demi-Class. If anyone wants, I'd be glad to add the rules for a Demi-Class onto this thread.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Honestly, the idea of "feats that get better the more of them you take" was made by WotC. For example, Aberrant Feats, Abyssal Heritor Feats, etc. That whole idea of becoming more of an "x" and less of an "insert class here" makes perfect sense, and makes for an interesting new way to build characters.

On to the constrictive criticism:

1. Change "aura of fearlessness" to "aura of fear/terror/inevitability". Basically, make it less of a protective sounding thing and more of "my presence causes people to see their life flash before their eyes".

2. Clarify that you can crit against undead. It's implied, but implication is a tricky business, and some people may miss it.

3. As far as I can tell, you aren't necessarily proficient with your Reaper's Scythe. Why not?

4. Destroy the Defiled has no increment for reuse, such as /day, /minute, /encounter, etc. Why?

That's all I have for now. Please make more of these. The flavor is wonderful.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the line between genius and madness is so thin...

Then why do so few in this day and age toe said line?

Thanks to Bongos for the v-13 avvie!

I think the lesson that we can take away from this is that tentacles solve everything, and if you have a problem, then you just need more tentacles. - seadragonknight of the BG boards.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Slay MINDLESS undead? That's strange. Mindless undead aren't really defying death, the actual soul is dead. You'd think intelligent undead are a lot more guilty of defying the laws of death. I mean, a lich isn't exactly going peacefully to his grave at his natural time.
    Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keinnicht View Post
    Slay MINDLESS undead? That's strange. Mindless undead aren't really defying death, the actual soul is dead. You'd think intelligent undead are a lot more guilty of defying the laws of death. I mean, a lich isn't exactly going peacefully to his grave at his natural time.
    It comes back to the idea that the only undead that should exist either have a worthy cause or were created as servants of Death itself. Thus why you can use undead.
    Spoiler
    Show

I think the lesson that we can take away from this is that tentacles solve everything, and if you have a problem, then you just need more tentacles. - seadragonknight of the BG boards.

20. - Top - End - #20

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaragosKitsune View Post
    Honestly, the idea of "feats that get better the more of them you take" was made by WotC. For example, Aberrant Feats, Abyssal Heritor Feats, etc. That whole idea of becoming more of an "x" and less of an "insert class here" makes perfect sense, and makes for an interesting new way to build characters.

On to the constrictive criticism:

1. Change "aura of fearlessness" to "aura of fear/terror/inevitability". Basically, make it less of a protective sounding thing and more of "my presence causes people to see their life flash before their eyes".
    Good idea. I like Aura of Terror. Or Death Corona. I'm debating which one sounds better.
    2. Clarify that you can crit against undead. It's implied, but implication is a tricky business, and some people may miss it.
    True, I do need to do that.
    3. As far as I can tell, you aren't necessarily proficient with your Reaper's Scythe. Why not?

4. Destroy the Defiled has no increment for reuse, such as /day, /minute, /encounter, etc. Why?
    Yeah, need to add those in.
    That's all I have for now. Please make more of these. The flavor is wonderful.
    Thanks. I'm turning around a few more ideas for feats in my head, and always feel free to suggest ideas for more feats.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maybe a speak with dead ability, or something that lets you communicate with whatever death god you serve.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaragosKitsune View Post
    Maybe a speak with dead ability, or something that lets you communicate with whatever death god you serve.
    Good idea, although Reapers serve Death itself, not death gods, although you can change this for your campaign if you wish. Perhaps a feat that grants you a Speak With Dead ability once per day per two Reaper feats, and able to cast Commune to speak with Death 1/month?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you already have one that gives you Detect Undead? Having that as an at-will would make sense...

Deathwatch would also make sense..
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-01-21 at 05:03 PM.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

24. - Top - End - #24

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    Do you already have one that gives you Detect Undead? Having that as an at-will would make sense...

Deathwatch would also make sense..
    That's actually part of the Demi-Class version of this.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Typo in Grim Reaper: "except that creatures of up to 4 + 1/2" should have HD in there somewhere. "except creatures with HD up to 4 + 1/2" or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post

Reaper's Scythe[Reaper]
    Prerequisite:
    Death's Chosen
    Benefit: The reaper gains the ability to summon a scythe made of death's power as a move action, and is treated as proficient with this scythe. This scythe deals damage equal to 1d6 + 1/2 the number of Reaper feats you have. Against transgressors and undead, it deals damage equal to 1d6 + the number of Reaper feats you have, and has a critical range of 18-20. You can make critical hits on undead using the scythe granted by this feat. The scythe stays until dismissed or taken out of your hands for more than 1 round.
    Death's Edge[Reaper]
    Prerequisites:
    Death's Chosen, Reaper's Scythe, 6th level
    Benefit: You gain a bonus to attack rolls with the scythe equal to 1/2 the number of Reaper feats you have. Also, your normal critical range for the scythe becomes 19-20. Additionally, for a number of rounds per day equal to the number of Reaper feats you have, you may treat the scythe's critical range for transgressors and undead as (20 - the number of Reaper feats you have)- 20.
    Okay, I got confused with these two. It wasn't immediately clear to me that the 18-20 crit range was only for undead/transgressors, and Death's Edge making the range 19-20 on non-transgressors. Also, for the expanding crit range text, maybe this would be a simpler way to say it: "Additionally, for a number of rounds per day equal to the number of Reaper feats you have, you may increase the scythe's critical range against transgressors and undead by 1 per Reaper feat."

This whole concept is...very interesting...I know stacking feat chains have existed before, like the Fey Heritage things, but this actually DOES something. You can build a character around this, instead of it just being a cute (and expensive) sideshow. I love it!
    Last edited by blackmage; 2011-01-21 at 07:41 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage View Post
    Typo in Grim Reaper: "except that creatures of up to 4 + 1/2" should have HD in there somewhere. "except creatures with HD up to 4 + 1/2" or something.
    To me, the wording you're suggesting is a bit confusing, although I think you may be onto something.
    Okay, I got confused with these two. It wasn't immediately clear to me that the 18-20 crit range was only for undead/transgressors, and Death's Edge making the range 19-20 on non-transgressors. Also, for the expanding crit range text, maybe this would be a simpler way to say it: "Additionally, for a number of rounds per day equal to the number of Reaper feats you have, you may increase the scythe's critical range against transgressors and undead by 1 per Reaper feat."
    Not sure if I can help you with the Reaper's Scythe, but you're correct on Death Edge, and that part has been changed.
    This whole concept is...very interesting...I know stacking feat chains have existed before, like the Fey Heritage things, but this actually DOES something. You can build a character around this, instead of it just being a cute (and expensive) sideshow. I love it!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Pyromancer999; 2011-01-21 at 09:46 PM.