New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Artificer - Divine spells?

A friend of mine suggested to me that his Artificer backup character could use Scribe Scroll to write out arcane spells in a divine format because Artificers don't use Arcane or Divine magic, they use wibbly-wobbly magicky-wagicky... stuff. From these scrolls, he suggested, my backup Archivist could learn arcane spells in a divine format.

I'm not sure on this, so I turn to the Playground and its wisdom. What are your thoughts?
    Credit to Bradakhan for the amazing avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Artificer - Divine spells?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "arcane spells in a divine format." Artificer scrolls are neither.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "arcane spells in a divine format." Artificer scrolls are neither.
    That's what I thought. He said that, because they use neither format, an Archivist could use it and it would be divine, or something along those lines.
    Credit to Bradakhan for the amazing avatar.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarey Nerd View Post
    A friend of mine suggested to me that his Artificer backup character could use Scribe Scroll to write out arcane spells in a divine format because Artificers don't use Arcane or Divine magic, they use wibbly-wobbly magicky-wagicky... stuff. From these scrolls, he suggested, my backup Archivist could learn arcane spells in a divine format.

I'm not sure on this, so I turn to the Playground and its wisdom. What are your thoughts?
    Actually, it is viable, but...

The Archivist has to be the one scribing the scroll. See, scrolls scribed bby Artificers are, sadly, neither Arcane nor Divine.

So you take advantage of the little rule about how two or more characters can work on the same item, with one being the crafter and having it turn out as his type of magic.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Doesn't work. Archivists can only scribe spells from Divine scrolls into their Prayerbooks, Artificer-made scrolls aren't Divine.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post
    Actually, it is viable, but...

The Archivist has to be the one scribing the scroll. See, scrolls scribed bby Artificers are, sadly, neither Arcane nor Divine.

So you take advantage of the little rule about how two or more characters can work on the same item, with one being the crafter and having it turn out as his type of magic.
    This is the trick I know of too. Artificer provides the spell, Archivist does the work.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    This is the trick I know of too. Artificer provides the spell, Archivist does the work.
    Yep. Only way to make that stuff Divine.

Or Arcane, for that matter.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

There are far easier ways to get almost any arcane spell you can think of as a divine spell - domains.

Practically any arcane spell you could want is in a domain somewhere.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    There are far easier ways to get almost any arcane spell you can think of as a divine spell - domains.

Roleplaying wise, it can be very difficult for a Archivist to find a divine scroll of spell from a rare domain. Domain specific spells don't belong in a normal city's marketplace. It's not like Drow and reclusive or evil races give away their special divine spells to whoever asks them.

An Artificer can make this process easier if the artificer explains the spell out to the Archivist and then performs the spell in front of him. By the rules for learning new spells, that can provide enough for the Archivist to add the rare domain spells to his prayerbook.

~

An artificer can't create a scroll for the archivist to use, but roleplaying and rules wise, he can help him learn enough to get the domain spell.
    Last edited by HunterOfJello; 2010-11-24 at 05:25 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post

Not to mention (Greater) Anyspell and Miracle

Also, Warlocks can craft more easily than Artificers, not being saddled with the silly "typeless magic" rule.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy