New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default What is the Swordsage "signature"Discipline? [3.5]

We all know that each one of the martial initiator classes have a shtick they were supposed to do (despite the versatility they can achieve, both RP wise and combat wise)

The Crusader is the holy warrior, which is empowered by his beliefs.
    The Warblade is a fighter by nature, who finds armed conflict as the solution to everything.
    And the swordsage, a mystic who uses martial skill and just a tiny sprinkle of actual magic, they are the most meditative of the three.

(Just going by the fluff of the book BTW)

And to show this, they have access to a specific discipline that somehow shows their intended roles.

Crusaders have Devoted spirit which gives them the strength and fortitude to overcome any enemy, Warblades learn the Iron Heart way, pure martial skill, fighting made art; and finally Swordsages have the only way to access to Desert Wind, Setting Sun and Shadow hand.

My question is, which of those three disciplines could be considered the Swordsage "signature" discipline.

I ask this, because I have been toying with the idea of houserulling that martial adepts can select (at first level) which disciplines they will pursue; but to avoid getting all the best disciplines and still maintaining a bit of the intended roles of the classes. Restricting Devoted Spirit to crusader, Iron Hear to Warblade, but due the above reasons I can't decide which would be the Swordsage-only discipline.

What do you think about it?

Edit: I decided to tally people opinions, here is a nice handy table
    Last edited by Dusk Eclipse; 2010-11-24 at 05:22 PM.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What is the Swordsage "signature"Discipline? [3.5]

I consider Desert Wind the iconic Swordsage discipline, myself - it's extremely flashy, movement focused, and while the Warblade focuses on one-target punishment and the Crusader on being a juggernaut, it gives the Swordsage mobility and the ability to take out mooks with a vengeance.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I think I'll start a tally of peoples thought.

BTW I forgot to say on the OP that personally I would say Shadow Hand, as Swordsages seems more like tricky fighters or combat pragmatist
    Last edited by Dusk Eclipse; 2010-11-24 at 05:13 PM.
    Just call me Dusk

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

There are two I feel have compelling arguments.

The first of these is Shadow Hand. The Swordsage is the lightly armored one of the three, Shadow Hand has a fairly high focus on stealth and mobility, with some subtle magic. Crusaders really don't seem at all appropriate for stealth in their default roles, Warblades are more questionable, as they operate as light, mobile combatants sometimes as called to mind by Diamond Mind and Tiger Claw.

The other is Desert Wind. Its the most blatantly magical school, the sword sage is noted for magic. Warblades seem horribly inappropriate here, however a Crusader throwing around holy fire seems quite reasonable, if rare. This is not a very powerful school though, which is a point in favor for Shadow Hand.

The one that doesn't make sense is Setting Sun. Everyone should be able to throw people around eventually, its a vestige of being a monk alternative, and should be free to all.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2010-11-24 at 07:34 PM.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

So do I count that as a vote for Shadow Hand to be the swordsages?
    Just call me Dusk

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

The signature discipline of the quintessential Weeaboo Fighting Mage is obviously the school containing Five-Shadow Creeping Ice Enervation Strike. More seriously, when I take Swordsage levels to get its unique features I am generally thinking of Shadow Hand rather than judo or fire damage.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    So do I count that as a vote for Shadow Hand to be the swordsages?
    Count it as a negative against Setting Sun.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Desert Wind and Shadow hand both in my oppinion

for the unarmed variant setting sun

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Ok that is another vote for shadow hand, I'll update the table

Also Foryn... when I started reading your post (the part of weaaboo fightig magic) I thought you were trying to troll, I am glad you didn't
    Just call me Dusk

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

desert wind
    Blarg...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Emerask, please only choose one.
    Just call me Dusk

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Going to have to throw in another vote against setting sun. It can't be the signature discipline because I always forget the damned thing!
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

What do you think about it?
    Eh... there isn't a Swordsage signature discipline, if you ask me. It's like asking what the signature school of a Wizard is. The class is designed to encompass multiple archetypes.

Desert Wind Swordsages are Hadoken-firing Flaming Fists of Fire-wielding swordmages.
    Shadow Hand Sworsages are supernatural ninjas.
    Setting Sun Swordsages are superhuman (but not overtly supernatural) martial artists.

In other words, I'm not voting, I'm expressing my doubts about the premise that leads to the vote. =/
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

A compromise method.

Allow everyone but a swordsage to have either Desert Sun or Shadow Hand. Only the sword sage can have both. It looks like Setting Sun has absolutely no support as signature.

-- ChubbyRain

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

As I explained, for some reasons all the classes seems to have a signature school, and since I will ask the Crusaders have access to XXXX, Warblades access to YYYY and Swordsages to ZZZZ I wanted for them to be more customizable.

Does that make sense?
    Just call me Dusk

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

All 3 of them. Swordsage is defined by having many kinds of unique abilities. The mystical nature of Desert Wind and Shadow Hand both makes them pretty much signature schools since Swordsage is the mystical warrior, while Setting Sun drills in the unarmed, martial side of things. So, yeah, my answer is "all 3". It just sort of serves to make the point that Swordsages study a wider base of maneuvers than the others.

You could split SS into multiple "focuses" depending on which school he picks. But all 3 define different SSs.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-11-24 at 05:19 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

In my mind their signature discipline is Shadow Hand.

I envision a swordsage as using an Elven Courtblade or Spiked Chain with Weapon Finesse and Shadow Blade who sneaks around in the dark and launches viscous attacks with deadly precision.

I do, however, enjoy the versatility and number of disciplines that swordsages have access to (barring Setting Sun which seems like it belongs to Warblades or Monks instead).

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Desert wind for me, if only because I have read chinese comics with characters who are a dead ringer for fire-based swordsages.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I actually really like the method that Knaight described above... though I think I'll continue with the voting for a bit more before I reach a decision
    Just call me Dusk

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

All three. The Swordsage is meant to cover broader conceptual ground than the Crusader and Warblade.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Spamalot in the Playground

I think we need to distinguish Armed and Unarmed Swordsages. Setting Sun makes way more sense for the latter.

And given the class focus on mind over matter, wouldn't Diamond Mind be pretty exemplary?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

This is like asking what the Ardent class's signature mantle is. It's variable, designed to be as modular as possible.

The Swordsage is designed as an umbrella class for multiple different fantasy warrior archetypes without any obvious favoritism towards any in particular. The Swordsage can be a spiritual monk, a ninja, a studious martial artist, or whatever you want to be with its abilities. It is much more generic than even the two other martial adepts - you decide what the Swordsage is from how you make it, and not the other way around.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2010-11-24 at 05:35 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

For me, it's Diamond Mind. While Warblades deal hot-blooded justice with Iron Heart, Swordsages feel like giving more importance to the mastery of mind. I don't know. Maybe it's because of the word "sage" in it.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

All three in terms of flavor, but from a balance perspective, either setting sun or shadow hand.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    For me, it's Diamond Mind. While Warblades deal hot-blooded justice with Iron Heart, Swordsages feel like giving more importance to the mastery of mind. I don't know. Maybe it's because of the word "sage" in it.
    Except for Warblades actually having Diamond Mind as well. The signature disciplines are restricted to those only one class has access to.

-- ChubbyRain

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    As I explained, for some reasons all the classes seems to have a signature school, and since I will ask the Crusaders have access to XXXX, Warblades access to YYYY and Swordsages to ZZZZ I wanted for them to be more customizable.

Does that make sense?
    Makes perfect sense. I just disagree with you on "all the classes seems to have a signature school". The Warblade and the Crusader do, but the Swordsage isn't as locked in an archetype. As should be evidenced by the fact that you had to make this thread!
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    Makes perfect sense. I just disagree with you on "all the classes seems to have a signature school". The Warblade and the Crusader do, but the Swordsage isn't as locked in an archetype. As should be evidenced by the fact that you had to make this thread!
    Eh. I disagree with any of the classes being locked into one archetype, except maybe Crusader. Even Crusader is "battlefield marshal" vs. "holy warrior". Warblade can be anything from a "frenzied warrior" (Tiger Claw-user with Rabid X Strikes, Jumps and so on) to "swashbuckler" (Diamond Mind-user using Concentration strikes and such) to "frontline marshal" (White Raven-focus) to "weapons master" (iron heart focus) to various dual wielder variations (Tiger Claw and Diamond Mind most notably) and so on. And swordsage has more.

Note that Diamond Mind Swordsage is very different than Diamond Mind Warblade due to the differences in classes; Swordsage can get Wis to Damage and bonus to saves while in Diamond Mind Stances, while Warblade gets full BAB and bonus to Crit Confirmation and so on, so Warblade might be more interested in "one telling blow"-Strikes like the Nightmare Blade series while Swordsage might be more interested in multiple attacks like Avalanche of Blades and Time Stand Still. And in the hands of a Warblade, Rapid Counter is much better due to the AoO bonuses than in the hands of a Swordsage. So while they can have the same maneuvers, their focuses inside the discipline are different (and of course, the same discipline covers multiple archetypes for each). Which is why I think decisions like this are hard to make.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

I honestly feel like it's somehow *wrong* to consider any 1 of the 3 their signature school.

You could consider splitting the Swordsage into 3 identical classes, with access to the different disciplines. This is functionally similar to how Conjurers and Evokers are still Wizards. The Embers, the Stalkers, and the Meditants are all types of Swordsages, and thus any swordsage with shadow hand maneuvers would be unable to get the others.

I suppose that method locks out a lot of disciplines, though. I.e. no Desert Wind warblades and such. In this case, I'd choose Shadow Hand simply because it's typically the strongest.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

Setting Sun needs more love! C'mon guys!
    (Yes that is a vote, mostly to boost it from 0 to 1)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

For what I see, it seems that the swordsage being the ultimate generalist is the point.... so I guess I'll leave them to hoard the Shadow hand, desert wind and setting sun discipline.

Still I will axe the pre-requisite non-sense and the Stone dragon "you must be touching ground".
    Just call me Dusk