New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Picking a knowledge.

A simple question, what knowledge skill is a good pick for identifying enemies weak spots if you have no idea what enemies you will be fighting?
    Amazing avatar by Ceika
    “A player is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisly when the plot dictates he should.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    You're the Stalin of dice!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Picking a knowledge.

If by "identifying enemies weak spots" you mean Knowledge Devotion, Knowledge(Local) applies to all humanoids, which means all NPC enemies.

If you mean it in a more general sense, I typically find Knowledge(Arcana) comes up a lot, especially with more inexperienced DMs, as it can be argued to apply to most anything.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... I'd usually go for Knowledge (Local) to get all the Humanoids. It's hard to have a campaign totally lacking humanoids, unlike other creature types.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, each of the knowledges is used for a certain set of creature types. I'm gonna put in a vote for Knowledge (local) or Knowledge (the planes) since they both cover a fairly large group of creatures.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Assuming you're talking about D&D 3.5, Knowledge (nature) covers the greatest variety of enemy types. Add Knowledge (religion) if you suspect undead, Knowledge (local) in civilised areas with a lot of humanoids, Knowledge (the planes) in case of outsider or elemental presence, Knowledge (dungeoneering) when below ground level and at a risk of running into oozes or aberrations and perhaps Knowledge (arcana) if you suspect dragon involvement, construct use or a population of magical beasts.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The biggest ones are Nature, The Planes, and Arcana, I believe in that order. After that, it's a toss-up between Local, Religion, and Dungeoneering. Architecture and Engineering comes up occasionally, but generally not too often.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

You may be able to convince your DM that ranks in Heal would give you a better understanding of where to strike, maybe as a synergy bonus.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Under skills in th PHB it shows what is identified by each. I haven't played a Knowledge Devotion character yet, but in retrospect Arcana, Local, Nature, and The Planes would be the most useful. Dungeoneering and Religion are rather limited in application in both number of creatures aplicable and out of cambat use as well.

Arcana (constructs, dragons, magical beasts)
    Dungeoneering (aberrations, oozes)
    Local (humanoids)
    Nature (animals, fey, giants, monstrous humanoids, plants, vermin)
    Religion (undead)
    The Planes (outsiders, elementals)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Spamalot in the Playground

What class are you? Many PrCs have knowledge (X) requirements, so you can synergize by focusing on the one(s) that benefit your build directly.

Similarly, you should pick based on your party members as well. If there is a cleric, leave Religion to them as they have probably invested in it. If there's a Druid/Ranger, they should have Nature covered. Arcanists will of course have Arcana, and the Rogue/Bard should have Local.

Also, is it just me or do Knowledge (Local) and Gather Information seem redundant?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

does knowledge even work that way?
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    There are 6 different Knowledge skills relating to the different creature types that exist in D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge
    In many cases, you can use this skill to identify monsters and their special powers or vulnerabilities. In general, the DC of such a check equals 10 + the monster’s HD. A successful check allows you to remember a bit of useful information about that monster.

For every 5 points by which your check result exceeds the DC, you recall another piece of useful information.
    It works exactly that way.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Check skill synergy, clerics need religion, if you have spellcraft then get arcana, nobility and royalty f you're a face, and anything else I'd recommend geography as "avoiding natural hazards" is always a good argument.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    Not sure what you mean: you have to pick the right skill to identify the right creatures, that's how it works. It was Neverwinter Nights that lumped them all into "Lore" and didn't even use them for identifying critters.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)