Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon

Thread: Winged Template

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Default Winged Template

The winged creature template from Savage Species, is it better suited as an LA+1 template? LA+2 seems too high when something like the Half-Fey exists, with wings and SLAs, but I'm not sure if flight with relatively easy to get perfect maneuverability and Monstrous Humanoid typing (though I'm not sure how abusable that type is, especially if the creature is not a caster) is really worth only +1 LA.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Winged Template

All told, the Winged template isn't a horrible one at +2.. it's a hard decision to make, but it offers some very nice perks, particularly as a melee-based character. It also grants a free feat, does it not? Plus, perfect maneuverability isn't particularly easy to get hold of, while this template gives a significant dex boost, on a dex-based maneuverability.. very handy.

With LA buyoff, I consider it a strong option, as LA+2 templates go. At LA+1, I'd see almost no reason NOT to get it on any noncaster.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

in my experience, it wouldnt be to bad to make it +1. flight isnt useful in a dungeon, which lets be honest is at least 1/4th of DnD. casters also get fly relatively soon, you can get a winged mount as a paladin, you can get animal companions that can fly, you can buy winged boots or a number of other magic items for it

suffice to say, no it wouldnt break your game. heck it will make your fighters more relevant
    Last edited by gallagher; 2010-11-27 at 11:38 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    flight isnt useful in a dungeon flight is incredibly useful all the time, especially when it is non-magical flight
    Fixed that for you, gallagher.

Level adjustment +2 for perfect maneuverability, fly speed equal to twice your base land speed, and a significant dex boost? Sounds balanced to me. Run it by your DM if you want, but it's a fair price to pay.

5. - Top - End - #5

... Its balanced at LA+1.
    The dex boost isn't worth LA2
    there are better ways of getting perfect flight

In short? Its a trap

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Having Played a Winged Templated Ranger perfect flight and a Dex boost was awesome to stay out of reach of most things and rain death from afar (really helped to get the most of Plunging Shot).

I didn't really notice any Difference in having a LA +2 over not having one.

Given a fair chunk of that game was in a area where magic was not reliable having non magical flight was a lot better than worrying about if your item/spell is going to work.

Overall - If you like the idea of it then don't let a piddly LA stop you from achieving your idea.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Peril Planet

Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It would be great for a distance Ranger IMO. You could fly at the back and shower arrows, and don't have to worry about coming into melee range. Would also be cool to use a Fighter with the reach enhancing deformity and a Long Spear, and then fly at 15 feet up and stab down at people.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragonborn of Bahamut is LA0 and gives short-term flight with no LA at 6HD.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

A few months ago, I tweaked the winged template a little bit, adding in some feats to represent high altitude capability.. so here's the shameless plug.

Modified Winged Template
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2010-11-29 at 01:02 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Basically the Hobgoblin of +2 LAs as far as I've ever been able to tell. Not powerful enough to really justify the +2 LA, but not really fitting in with the +1 LAs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide