New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Best Way to Overcome SR

Hi everyone, I was wondering what the best ways are for a wizard to overcome SR. Specifically, SR on par with that of a Rakshasa. I know about Assay Spell Resistance, but I want to know if there are any better ways to go about it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Best Way to Overcome SR

Increasing your caster level (many ways to do that), and Assay Spell Resistance. That's pretty much all you need, as the check is really quite easy to make.
    Last edited by AslanCross; 2010-11-27 at 06:22 PM.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Arcane mastery to take 10 on caster lv checks. With enough caster lv boosts, you will never fail again.

Or simply use spells which ignore sr. The conjuration school is chock-full of them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd go with SR: No spells. If you can't, Assay Spell Resistance and True Casting. Plus possibly get a party beatstick a weapon with that enchantment that reduces SR a little with every hit. I forget what it's called, but with enough attacks per round it can really help.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Yeah, just ignoring SR completely works fine. Why mess around with feats and Assay resistance when you can just ignore the concept?

JaronK

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    Yeah, just ignoring SR completely works fine. Why mess around with feats and Assay resistance when you can just ignore the concept?

JaronK
    Because the creatures with SR in question are other PCs opposed to my group of PCs, and I don't want to kill em off, but use either dismissal or banishment, depending on when our inevitable confrontation is, to send them back to their own planes. This way the campaign won't end so quickly for them and I'll be able to really hate my PC for even better RP.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Glitterdust them first. Disable them with various spells to kill their SR. If they're PCs, they probably have class level based SR, so level drain them, then land what you need to land.

JaronK

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Factotum party member or Cohort!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Spamalot in the Playground

High caster level is the best general way, because it carries so many other benefits. It can be costly at lower levels though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Not a great wizard option, but for Cha based casters:

1 lvl dip to Marshal

Does not advance spellcasting, but minor aura Determined Caster: Bonus on rolls to overcome spell resistance puts +Cha bonus. Adds it to nearby allies as well to increase the benefit collectively

With Charisma being the limit you can use Eagle's Splendor or items or whatever to boost Cha as you want to do anyway as a Cha caster to increase DC at the same time

EDIT: Better yet, convince another player to take that dip for you
    Last edited by Benejeseret; 2010-11-27 at 10:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Spamalot in the Playground

There are also rules for "team casting" in Forge of War I believe - it allows several lower-level casters to cooperate and gain a bonus to overcome a tough foe's SR.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)