New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Improved Monster Classes IV

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    Okay, so, I just had an idea: a line of general monster class only feats. For instance, a class with natural armor based on a certain score they might not be pumping too much- say, a harpy with con based natural armor, or a marraenoloth- and take a feat to gain a deflection bonus to AC based on a different stat.
    Anybody have any other ideas? I'm not looking for monster abilities, per se- most of those are covered by the MM feats- but things that would especially apply to the way we do these monster classes.
    I don't know, Adding effective HD for the purpose of determining abilities? Maybe an not getting abilities that come with HD but making HD higher for stuff like uses and DC's and stuff. Just a thought.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Werehydra
    Spoiler
    Show
    Werehyrdra Prerequisites
    To become a Werehyrdra, the character must meet the following requirements

Race: Any Medium or Large humanoid or giant.
    Special: Must have been injured by the natural attack of another Werehyrdra.

HD: d8

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Alternate form (Hydra),Hydra empathy, Lunar body, Olfactory of a Thousand, Multiple Heads

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Alternate form (Hybrid), Lunar hide

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |+1 Strength, Head Regrowth, Growth

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Curse of Magucanthropy, [Hybrid Power]

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Fast Healing

6th|
    +6
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +1
    |Greater Hydra[/table]

Skills Points at Each Level: (2+ Intelligence Modifier)
    Class Skills: The Werehyrdra’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Handle Animal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis). And any others that are appropriate for the Hydra. (Skills Listed in the Hydra’s entry are always appropriate and should be included.)

Proficiencies: A Werehyrdra gains proficiency with its own natural weapons, but not with armor or shields.

Werehyrdra Class Features: The following are the Class Features of the Werehyrdra.

Lunar Body: The Werehyrdra retains all of its old racial modifiers and gains the (Shapechanger) subtype. They gain Low-light vision (Some Hydras warrant Darkvison 60 Ft instead of Low-light vision.) if they did not already possess it. A Werehyrdra gains a bonus to natural armor equal to its constitution modifier while in Alternate Form (See Below). While in Humanoid form the Werehyrdra gains a bonus to natural armor equal to half its constitution modifier.

Alternate Form: At first level, the Werehyrdra gains a Medium Hydra Alternate Form. While in Hydra form, the Werehyrdra cannot use weapons or do anything requiring the use of hands, but gains a bite attack that deals 1d4 damage. While in Hydra form the Werehyrdra’s movement speeds are set to a 20 feet base land speed.

Alternate Form
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Werehydra has the ability to assume one or more specific alternate forms. A true seeing spell or ability reveals the Werehydra’s Humanoid or Giant form, as well as it's Hybrid or Animal Forms. While using alternate form the Werehydra reverts to its Humanoid or Giant form when killed, but separated body parts retain their shape. Assuming an alternate form results in the following changes to the Werehydra:

* The Werehydra retains the type and subtype of its Humanoid or Giant form. It gains the size of its Hydra or Hybrid Form. (As Specified). If the new form has the aquatic subtype, the Werehydra gains that subtype as well.
    * The Werehydra loses the natural weapons, natural armor, and movement modes of its Humanoid or Giant form, as well as any extraordinary special attacks of its Humanoid or Giant form not derived from non-monster class levels (such as the barbarian’s rage class feature).
    * The Werehydra gains the natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of Hydra or Hybrid Form. (As Specified).
    * The Werehydra retains the special qualities of its Humanoid or Giant form. It does not gain any special qualities of its Hydra or Hybrid Form. (Unless Specified Otherwise.)
    * The Werehydra retains the spell-like abilities and supernatural attacks of its old form (except for breath weapons and gaze attacks). It does not gain the spell-like abilities or attacks of its Hydra or Hybrid Form.
    * The Werehydra gains the physical ability scores (Str, Dex, Con) of its new form as specified. It retains the mental ability scores (Int, Wis, Cha) of its Humanoid or Giant form. Apply any changed physical ability score modifiers in all appropriate areas Unlike normal creatures with Alternate Forms the Werehydra gains the hit points increase from any change to its Constitution.
    * The Werehydra retains its hit points and save bonuses, although its save modifiers may change due to a change in ability scores.
    * Except as described elsewhere, the Werehydra retains all other game statistics of its Humanoid or Giant form, including (but not necessarily limited to) HD, hit points, skill ranks, feats, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses.
    * The Werehydra retains any spellcasting ability it had in its Humanoid or Giant form, although it must be able to speak intelligibly to cast spells with verbal components and it must have humanlike hands to cast spells with somatic components. Hybrid may speak and has humanoid enough hands if the Werehydra's Humanoid or Giant form has hands.
    * The Werehydra is effectively camouflaged as a creature of its Hydra or Hybrid Form, and it gains a +10 bonus on Disguise checks if it uses this ability to create a disguise.
    * Any gear worn or carried by the Werehydra that can’t be worn or carried in its Hydra or Hybrid Form instead falls to the ground in its space. If the Werehydra changes size, any gear it wears or carries that can be worn or carried in its Hydra or Hybrid Form changes size to match the new size. (Nonhumanoid-shaped creatures can’t wear armor designed for humanoid-shaped creatures, and vice versa.) Gear returns to normal size if dropped.

At second level, the Werehyrdra can assume a Medium Hybrid form, between its Hydra form and its Humanoid Form. While in Hybrid form, the Werehyrdra gains the natural attacks of Hydra form, as well as the same movement speeds, however the Werehyrdra retains its abilities to manipulate objects, use weapons, and speak.

Assuming an Alternate form, or dismissing it, is a Full-Round Action that provokes an attack of opportunity. At 7 HD this changes to a Standard Action and at 14 HD this changes to a Move Action, at 20 HD this changes to a Swift Action.

A Werehyrdra can assume its Alternate Form 1/day/HD, and can remain transformed indefinitely.

For every level in Werehyrdra, or for every two in another class, the Werehyrdra's Alternate Forms improve as shown below.

{table] Werehyrdra Level+ 1/2 HD of other Levels|Ability Improvements
    1|+1 Strength
    2|+1 Strength, +1 Constitution
    3|+2 Strength, +1 Constitution
    4|+2 Strength, +2 Constitution
    5|+3 Strength, +2 Constitution
    6|+3 Strength, +3 Constitution
    7|+4 Strength, +3 Constitution
    8|+4 Strength, +4 Constitution
    9|+5 Strength, +4 Constitution
    10|+5 Strength, +5 Constitution
    11|+6 Strength, +5 Constitution
    12|+6 Strength, +6 Constitution
    13| +7 Strength, +6 Constitution [/table]

Hydra Empathy: The Werehyrdra can communicate with Hydras, and other Lizard like Animals, regardless of form and gains a +4 bonus on Charisma based checks to influence such Beasts, however the Werehyrdra gains no such bonus on influencing Animals.

Sense of a Thousand: Beginning at first level the Werehyrdra while in Hydra form gains Scent, and further gains a bonus on Spot checks equal to half its HD. At second level Sense of a Thousand regardless of form.

Multiple Heads: At first level, While the Werehyrdra is in Hydra or Hybrid Alternate form it grows multiple heads. For every Werehydra HD possessed, and ever two non Werehydra HD possessed, the Werehydra gains one [i]extra[i/] head in Hydra form. The Werehydra gains half this number in Hybrid form. Each head has a bite attack, and the Werehydra may make all of its bite attacks in a full attack action. These bite attacks all add their full Strength modifier to damage.

Lunar Hide At second level, while in either Hydra or Hybrid form, the Werehyrdra gains DR/Silver equal to its HD/2.

Ability Score Increase: At third level the Werehyrdra gains a +1 increase to Strength.

Growth: At third level, a Werehyrdra’s Hydra or Hybrid forms may be Medium or Large. The Werehyrdra chooses its size each time it assumes one of its Alternate Forms.

When A Werehyrdra changes size its natural attacks are re-sized for appropriate damage. For every size increase beyond Medium the Lycanthrope gains a +1 bonus to Natural Armor Class while in Alternate Form.

A Werehyrdraof 12 HD or more may choose to become Huge by expending two normal transformations.

A Werehyrdraof 16 HD or more may choose to become Gargantuan by expending two normal transformations.

A Werehyrdra of 20 HD or more may choose to become Colossal by expending four normal transformations.

Head Regrowth: At third level the Werehyrdra while in Hydra from (And only in Hydra form) instinctively "parries" attacks made at it with its long necks. If the Werehydra takes enough damage to destroy the head, it is considered severed, and two temporary Heads sprout from the stump 1d4+1 rounds later. These temporary heads last for 24 hours. A real head requires 24 hours to grow. 24 hours after a head is destroyed the two temporary heads shrivel up and die, and the ‘real’ head finishes developing.
    If a temporary Head is severed, it regrows 2d4 rounds later.
    If a temporary or real head is severed with either fire or acid damage, it cannot regrow temporary heads.
    Temporary Heads have the same bite attack as a standard head.
    If the hydra suffers damage equal to (10+Constitution Modifier) one of its heads is considered severed. If it takes twice this damage, two of its heads are considered severed, if it takes three times this damage three of its heads are considered severed, and so fourth. If a Werehydra’s heads are ever all severed (temporary heads and ‘Real’ heads) it must make a fortitude save against massive damage, and is immediately returned to Humanoid or Giant form, and it must wait until it would have regrown a temporary head before it may reassume it’s Hybrid or Hydra forms.

A Thousand Eyes: At fourth level the Werehyrdra while in Hybrid form (And only Hybrid Form) gains a keen awareness of its surroundings from possessing multiple heads, The Werehydra cannot be flanked by any number of creatures up to the number of heads it possesses+1. Further As a full attack action with all of its heads, it may treat any one creature of its size or smaller as being flanked for one half of its attacks, rounded down.

Curse of Magucanthrope: At fourth level the Werehyrdra can transmit Magucanthropy to other creatures. If a Humanoid or Giant of (the same sizes as the Prerequisites for this class) is hit by the Werehyrdra’s natural attacks while it is in either Alternate form, the struck creature must make a fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 the Werehyrdra’s HD+ Constitution modifier) or contract Magucanthropy. Magucanthropy Functions exactly as Magucanthropy except as noted above. For more information on

Fast Healing: At fifth level the Werehyrdra gains Fast Healing equal to half its HD while in Hydra or Hybrid form, and Fast Healing equal to one quarter of its HD, rounded down.

Greater Hydra: At Sixth level the Werehyrdra assumes its full potential, and taps into its greater hydra blood-line. It must choose, at this point, one of the following bloodlines (and their respective related elements): Cryohydra (Cold), Pyrohydra (Fire), Electrohydra (Electricity), or Biohydra(Acid) bloodline. In all forms the Werehydra gains Energy resistance equal to its HD against its Bloodline’s related element. Further, in all forms the Werehydra has a breath weapon that deals 1d8 damage per heads it has, this damage is of its bloodlines related element. A successful Reflex save DC (10+1/2 the Werehydra’s HD+ Constitution Modifier) reduces the damage from this breath weapon by half. This breath weapon fills a line 5 feet long per HD it has.

A Chump’s Twopence:
    Spoiler
    Show

Werehydra is based on the Hydra, and my First Magucanthrope!
    I don’t know how to feel about ‘A Thousand Eyes’ and ‘Head Regrowth’
    The Hydra entry itself is vague and not terribly clearly written.
    If you have a better idea for early powers, please, Let me know!
    The limit on heads the Werehydra can regrow is now inherent to the fact that temporary heads only regrow 1 head, and ‘real’ heads regrow 2 temporary heads. By this means it cannot regrow more heads than 2x its number of ‘real’ heads.

Come with me, time out of mind...

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AustontheGreat1 View Post
    I don't know, Adding effective HD for the purpose of determining abilities? Maybe an not getting abilities that come with HD but making HD higher for stuff like uses and DC's and stuff. Just a thought.
    Excellent suggestion! In fact, I do believe I'll implement that now.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

Maybe a feat to switch around how their ability scores are distributed or something along those lines?

So a creature that normally receives +4 Str and +2 Dex could instead receive +4 Dex and +2 Str. Really only useful for creatures with multiple stats, but could make for interesting alternative builds.
    Homebrew Monster Classes:
    Arcadian Avenger|Thorn|Marrash|Justice Archon

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zemro Shivic View Post
    Maybe a feat to switch around how their ability scores are distributed or something along those lines?

So a creature that normally receives +4 Str and +2 Dex could instead receive +4 Dex and +2 Str. Really only useful for creatures with multiple stats, but could make for interesting alternative builds.
    Hmmm... I'll look into it. Sounds like potential for abuse, though.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChumpLump View Post
    Darling, it is no joke...

This is Osanthropy
    Spoiler
    Show

The Werebear looks like she's good to go.

Actually I agree almost entirely, however it has been made clear in this project that Ability Score Bonuses gained through monster class levels cannot be any Ability Score that the Monster Class doesn't depend on. Which is unfortunate, but the goals of the project.

As for your Alpha wolf ability... I really like it as is, and to be honest, I feel you could simply give the Werewolf a bonus to commanding/leading its pack while in Hybrid form, and it'd be fine enough incentive to be in Hybrid form for me.

This is Dromosauranthropy
    Spoiler
    Show

Wereraptor:
    Why is the Bite only in Raptor Form?
    Why do you have two tables for Ability Score Improvement?
    Any particular reason that you have decided to give the wereraptor a flat Standard Action to assume its Alternate form, rather than the
    that was recommended?
    Raptor Dexterity is fine, but I think there may be a better name for it, Savage Charge, or something akin.
    Other than those little questions, she's looking seaworthy to me.
    Done, the reason I had bite like that by the way was becausue I made this before the Lycanthrope changes and wanted some balance.
    Celestia Moon avatar by Dirtytabs. He is now the most awesome thing.

THIS
    Wins
    My website: Free Raptor Games
    Note: mostly abandoned due to lack of time.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Weretrex avatar by Bradakhan

Bec Noir avatar by Derjuin, thanks! Yes, that sword in his chest is a part of him.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

May I make another request? This time I'd like to see the Mohrg as a class, hopefully one that can be of good alignment if that player wants.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starsign View Post
    May I make another request? This time I'd like to see the Mohrg as a class, hopefully one that can be of good alignment if that player wants.
    If it's a base class and it has alignment requirements, it won't get past inspection.
    Anyways, it's a hard class to make, having relatively little to it... but I'll add it to the list. As Hyudra has proven, that doesn't always matter.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

While your adding things to the list, I'd like to request the Protean Scourge (MMIII p.127) CR 12. The monster is a Gish with a minor in shapechanging, and the ability to split into two copies of itself each capable of fighting and casting.

Also, I hate to nag, but the Ragewalker has been updated a little and those updates are awaiting inspection. I posted a note in the first page of the new thread but it seems to have been over-looked.
    Last edited by AustontheGreat1; 2010-12-04 at 10:26 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AustontheGreat1 View Post
    While your adding things to the list, I'd like to request the Protean Scourge (MMIII p.127) CR 12. The monster is a Gish with a minor in shapechanging, and the ability to split into two copies of itself each capable of fighting and casting.
    Hmmm... sounds interesting. Will add.

Also, I hate to nag, but the Ragewalker has been updated a little and those updates are awaiting inspection. I posted a note in the first page of the new thread but it seems to have been over-looked.
    Well, under the new endorsement system this means that y'all needs ta get crackin' on reviewing the Ragewalker!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Pseudonatural Creature
    (still preview)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    As an epic template, taking the pseudonatural template has several requisites:

At least 5 HD in any monster class
    OR
    5th level spellcasting in any spellcasting class
    OR
    Knowledge: The Planes 9 ranks

As well as any two of:
    Knowledge: Dungeoneering 6 ranks.
    OR
    Base will save +3
    OR
    Any aberrant feat
    OR
    Willing Deformity: Madness
    OR
    Any from the first list

Cannot be a construct or undead.

Hit Dice: d6
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Invocations

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Far Realms Touched, Warp +3d6, Invocations (Least)|2|

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Farspawn, Warp +1d6, Invocations (Lesser or Least)|3|

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Eldritch Hide, +1 Cha|3|

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Lesser Alternate Form, Warp +1d6|4|

5th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Warp Augmentation, +1 Con|4|

6th|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Invocations (Least, Lesser, or Greater), Warp +1d6, +1 Cha|5|

7th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Warp Augmentation, Greater Alternate Form|5|

8th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Channeling, Warp +1d6|6|

9th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Warp Augmentation, +1 Cha|6|

10th|
    +7/+1
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Horrid Alternate Form, Warp +1d6|7|

11th|
    +8/+1
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Warp Augmentation, +1 Con|7|

12th|
    +9/+1
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |Invocations (Least, Lesser, Greater, or Eldritch), Warp +1d6|8|

13th|
    +9/+1
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |Warp Augmentation, Far Realms Apotheosis, Warp +1d6, +1 Cha|9|[/table]

Class Skills
    The Pseudonatural Creature's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (Planes) (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
    Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int mod

Proficiencies: The Pseudonatural Creature gains proficiency with the dagger & kukri: both items commonly used in rituals.

Far Realms Touched: Unlike most other monster classes, the Pseudonatural Creature does not lose its previous racial traits. Instead it gains the Aberration type and Darkvision 60'.

Warp (su): The most basic ability the Pseudonatural Creature learns is to channel their raw energy in a beam of energy, literally unmaking the fabric of reality.
    A Warp is a ranged touch attack with a range of 45'. It allows no saving throw nor spell resistance, being of a stuff beyond the coil of this dimension.
    Warp begins at 3d6 damage, and increases by 1d6 damage as shown on the table- every even level and at level 13.

Invocations: The Pseudonatural Creature learns a few ways to direct the energies of their heritage in a more controlled form, much as a Warlock would channel the powers of hell, though much stranger.
    A Pseudonatural's invocations are spell-like abilities; using one is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity. It can be disrupted much like a spell can be ruined during casting, and can be cast defensively. Some Pseudonatural invocations are subject to spell resistance, unless specified otherwise. A Pseudonatural's CL with her invocations is equal to her levels in Pseudonatural plus her levels in any one other class of her choice.
    The DC of an Invocation is 10+1/2 Pseudonatural CL+ Charisma modifier. Her invocations are of more flexible stuff than a warlock's: so long as she can channel the energies of the Far Realms effectively enough, there is no limit to how powerful the ability can be.
    The four grades of Invocations, in order of their relative power, are Least, Lesser, Greater, and Eldritch. A Pseudonatural Creature begins with knowledge of two Least Invocations. As a Pseudonatural Creature gains levels, she learns new Invocations, as summarized on the table above. A list of available Invocations can be found at the bottom of the page.

Farspawn: At 2nd level, the Pseudonatural Creature gains resistance to Acid & Electricity and a bonus to saves against poison equal to its HD, as well as blindsight out to 5' per 2 HD.

Eldritch Hide:
    At 3rd level, the Pseudonatural Creature gains DR/Magic & Slashing equal to 1/2 HD and SR of 11+HD.

Lesser Alternate Form: At 4th level, the Pseudonatural Creature may, as a full round action, transform into a hideous, warped form. While in this form, the pseudonatural creature cannot speak and is incapable of fine manipulation.
    In this form, enemies take a -1 morale penalty to attacks against the Pseudonatural Creature for each point of its charisma modifier.
    Additionally, while in this form the Pseudonatural Creature gains a number of tentacle attacks equal to her HD/3, up to 6 tentacles at 18 HD. These tentacles deal a base of 1d6+1/2 str mod and have a reach of 10 feet for a medium creature.

Warp Augmentation: At 5th level and every other level thereafter, the Pseudonatural Creature learns a way to augment its warp ability. She may initially only apply one augmentation at a time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eldritch Bolt: Warp is no longer a touch attack, but the Pseudonatural Creature may make iterative attacks with it.

Non-Euclidean Warp: Opponents lose their dexterity bonus to AC against the Pseudonatural Creature's Warp.

Eldritch Wave: The range of the Warp becomes a 30' cone; instead of making a ranged touch attack, enemies in the area of the Warp may make a reflex save for half damage. Opponents who succeed on the save needn't make any other saves against the warp.

Reality Tearing Warp: The Pseudonatural Creature may make enemies struck by Warp to make a will save or be shaken for the rest of the encounter, or make a fortitude save or be sickened for 3 rounds, or make a reflex save or have their movement speed halved for 3 rounds.

Greater Reality Tearing Warp:
    (Requires Reality Tearing Warp)
    The Pseudonatural Creature may make enemies struck by Warp to make a will save or be dazed for 2 rounds, or make a fortitude save or be nauseated for 3 rounds, or make a reflex save or be pushed 20' in any direction (straight up is possible) and when landing be knocked prone.

Eldritch Reality Tearing Warp:
    (Requires Greater Reality Tearing Warp)
    The Pseudonatural Creature may make enemies struck by Warp to make a will save or cower for 3 rounds, or make a fortitude save or be paralyzed for 2 rounds, or make a reflex save or convulse, knocked prone, flatfooted & unable to take actions for 1 round.

Warp Versatility:
    (Requires Reality Tearing Warp and any one other augmentation)
    When using Warp, the Pseudonatural Creature may now use any version of Reality Tearing Warp AND one other Augmentation of her choice.

Greater Warp:
    Warp increases to a range of 60' and the Pseudonatural Creature adds its charisma modifier to warp damage.

Greater Alternate Form: At 7th level, when entering its alternate form the Pseudonatural Creature gains fortification equal to 5% per HD (becoming immune to precision damage at 20 HD) and gains improved grab with its tentacle attacks.

Channeling (su): As a move action no more than once per day, the Pseudonatural can forcibly rip open the doorway to the Far Realms, centered on herself. Its pure, unadulterated powers flow into her, but at cost to her very existence.
    When activating this ability, she chooses a dice to roll- 2d3, 1d8, 1d10, or 1d12. The result gives the duration in rounds. For every round she remains in her channeling state, she takes 1d3-1 wisdom burn (minimum 0). This effect cannot be ended voluntarily- it will run its course, and the Pseudonatural Creature will suffer the backlash.
    While the effects of the Channeling are devastating on her psyche, it is equally devastating on her enemies. For the duration, she gains a +2 bonus to all invocation & warp DCs, Flight of 90' with perfect maneuverability as an extraordinary ability, and as a standard action every round can both use Warp & cast an invocation. In addition, all invocations that would normally be affected by SR get +10 to their spell penetration. Finally, her spells & invocations have a 50% chance to still work when cast into an antimagic field or against a creature normally immune to magic, though she is still shut down if physically within the field of an AMF.
    If the Pseudonatural is reduced to 0 wisdom this way, the Far Realms take over. The duration will run its course, over which time the Pseudonatural Creature is considered confused. In the meantime, she begins to expel blood and viscera from every orifice, including her pores and eyes. Once it has run its course, she implodes into the gate which spits her back out seconds later, only for the most part annihilated, consumed by the energies of the Far Realms; the corpse is, for the most part, quite gone.
    The only effect that can stop this is a wish, miracle, or other ability of similar power. In which case, the Channeling ends immediately and the Pseudonatural Creature falls to the ground, comatose until all her wisdom burn heals. Only epic magic can pull a Pseudonatural out of a channeling unharmed.

Horrid Alternate Form: When grappling with an opponent while in alternate form, the Pseudonatural Creature deals 1 constitution drain per 3 HD it has for every successful grappling check it makes. If the enemy is immune to constitution damage, it deals wisdom drain instead.

Far Realms Apotheosis: At 13th level, the Pseudonatural Creature truly becomes an entity of the far realms.
    Its DR improves to Epic & Slashing, and it becomes an outsider with the [Far Realms] subtype. This allows it to be considered an aberration or an outsider, whichever one is more beneficial at the type, and is considered extraplanar outside of the Far Realms.
    In addition, at any time the Pseudonatural Creature is in its alternate form it begins to become far less Euclidean. This is similar to the effects of a blink spell, but with one key difference: rather than 'blinking' back and forth between the ethereal plane and the material plane, the Pseudonatural Creature more fades back and forth between the material plane and the folds between realities.

It grants a 50% concealment; blind fight doesn't help this, as you're just not there half the time. Neither does see invisibility; however, true seeing will reduce the concealment to 20%, but those viewing the Pseudonatural Creature through true seeing take the morale penalty to attacks as if it were in its alternate form (double if it really is in its alternate form).

An individually targeted spell has a 50% chance to fail outright. Force effects and most other spells that would normally strike an ethereal creature only suffer a 20% failure chance, while abjurations that specifically target extraplanar creatures, such as dismissal, suffer no failure chance at all.

The Pseudonatural only takes 50% damage from area attacks, and strikes as an invisible creature.

The Pseudonatural only takes half damage from falling, and can step through solid objects. For every 5 feet of solid material she walks through, there is a 50% chance she becomes material right there, in the object, and is shunted to the nearest open space, taking 1d6 damage per 5 feet.

Feat:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grinning Person, Hidden Monster:
    Prerequisites: Pseudonatural Creature alternate form ability.
    You gain all the the effects of the alternate form without actually having to transform.

Invocations:
    Spoiler
    Show

Invocations are separated into two parts: Base and Advancement. Base invocations are usually use-activated SLAs; advancement invocations improve the abilities of a base invocation. If the invocation listed under the advancement invocation has not been taken, then that advancement invocation does nothing.

Least Invocations:
    Spoiler
    Show

Base:

Implexsion:
    ...Your staff is broken.
    2nd level
    1 standard action
    Close range
    Immediate
    Any object within range implodes on itself, matter compacting and twisting into strange forms, then immediately explodes into bits unrecognizable for what it once was. Magical items are allowed a saving throw against this effect.
    As most items are made up of a decent amount of carbon and during the implosion the item undergoes a vast amount of force and pressure, in the remaining pieces an amount of diamond dust of value equal to one half the original obect's gp can be collected.

Dread Curse of A*******:
    A*******!
    2nd level [sonic], [mind-affecting]
    1 standard action
    All within earshot.
    1d4 rounds
    By speaking the name of A*******, the Dread Prince that resides at the center of the universe, the Pseudonatural creature can degrade the sanity of all who can hear. Any who hears the Curse must make a will save or become confused 1d4 rounds and take an amount of wisdom drain equal to 4 minus the number of rounds they were confused (minimum 0); the mind handles the name much in the same way the body handles an ingested toxin- either by violent release, or by some severe damage. Those immune to mind affecting are immune to the confusion, but not the wisdom drain.
    Intelligent aberrations and outsiders do not suffer from the confusion either- however, they respond to the dread words with fear. Instilled in all these creatures is a healthy fear of the name, and those who wield it: when using the Dread Curse against one of these creatures, whether or not they fail their save the Pseudonatural Creature may make a free intimidate check against them with a +5 bonus. If they choose to demoralize, the enemy is shaken for the duration of the encounter instead of one round.

All Awareness:
    I see you...
    1st level
    1 standard action
    Personal
    24 Hours
    The Pseudonatural Creature becomes able to see in a full circle around its head. It cannot be flanked, gains a +4 bonus to all spot checks and a +1 insight bonus to AC.

Many Voiced:
    1st level
    1 standard action
    Personal
    24 Hours
    The Pseudonatural Creature takes on many voices at once- of all sexes, pitches, ages and tones. It is both hard to read into and highly disconcerting, giving her a +7 bonus to both bluff and intimidate checks. It also gives a +1 bonus to the DC of Dread Curse of A******.

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Invocations will be updated periodically over the next week or so. This is just a teaser. Any suggestions on use-activated invocations of the lesser-greater range would be greatly appreciated. I'll be eventually adding a 20 level monster class to this that can be summoned as a permanent cohort by taking certain invocations. Oh, and base monster has been updated. Stay tuned!
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-12-05 at 12:02 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    So.

Turns out the Metalmaster has an intelligence score sufficient to gain class levels. Anyone up for it?
    Reposting FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

13. - Top - End - #133

Planar Creature

Spoiler
    Show

Prerequisite: Any creature of a type other than Construct or Outsider native to an aligned plane. 'Native alignment' means the alignment of your native plane.

HD: d8
    {table]Level|Bab|Fort|Ref|Will|Feature
    1|+ 0|+0|+2 | + 2| Planar Nature, Smite, Favoured Plane
    2|+ 1|+0|+3 | + 3| Planar Body, Planar Affinity, Planar Magic
    [/table]

Skills: 4 + Intelligence modifier per level, Class skills are Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Knowledge (the planes), Listen, Perform, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Use Rope

Proficiencies: None

Features:

Planar Nature:Unlike other monster classes, the Planar Creature doesn't lose his racial ability modifiers, and retains his own type, apart from animals, who gain the Magical Beast type. Planar creatures encountered on the Material Plane have the extraplanar subtype. It gains darkvision out to 60ft.

Smite: A number of times per day equal to 1+1/5HD, an Anarchic Creature can make a normal melee attack that deals extra damage equal to its HD and has a bonus to attack equal to 1/2HD against a foe of an alignment opposite to its native alignment,. At 10HD, any critical threat by a smite is automatically confirmed. Smites bypass DR as if the weapon was aligned with the Planar Creature's native alignment.

Favoured Plane: The Planar Creature has bonus equal to 1/2HD on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills in planes with it's native alignment. It may make Knowledge (the planes) checks as if it had trained in the skill if the question is related to it's plane with it's native alignment, and applies the skill bonus on checks dealing with its native alignment. Likewise, it gets a bonus equal to 1/4HD on attack rolls and weapon damage rolls against any creature wiith the same native alignment.

Aligned Body The Planar Creature gains DR/magic equal to a third of it's HD, spell resistance equal to 12+HD and resistance to acid, cold, electricity, fire and sonic equal to 1/3 its HD. At 10HD, the DR is beaten by an alignment opposite that of the Planar Creature's native alignment instead of magic.

Planar Affinity: The Planar creature casts all spells with the same descriptor as their native alignment at +1 CL, increasing by 1 for every 4HD it has. Additionally, at 6HD, the Planar Creature gains the subtype of their native alignment, and at 12HD gains the Outsider type.

Planar Magic: The Planar Creature can cast spells from the domain of their native alignment as spell-like abilities, with caster level equalling HD and a save DC of 10+1/2HD
    +Cha mod. It can cast spells of a level equal to 1/2 it's HD, and each can be used a number of times equal to it's HD divided by the level of the spell, rounding down.

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, I made it into a class for all alignments, so the abilities depend on the plane the creature came from (not sure how to word it better, though). I beefed up Smite a bit, and added in Favoured Plane (probably won't come up much, but I thought it's a ice little thing to have) and Planar Magic, so it has a few more options.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2010-12-05 at 04:10 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Automatically threatening a crit is quiet powerful... but I'm not an expert on balance. It just immediately makes me go 'whoah!'
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Automatically threatening a crit is quiet powerful... but I'm not an expert on balance. It just immediately makes me go 'whoah!'
    Yeah, but it has an extremely low use/day. I'd say it's balanced. Might want to specify if it still threatens a crit on a nat 1 and whether or not they decide to use it before or after their attack roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

I concur. That is a capstone ability, and not a level 1 dip ability. I can see a lot of cheese going down with that with a no-save magical item ability that only functions on a crit...

Lord Gareth:
    Wwwwwelp, Metalmaster's added to the waiting list. Not much else one can do now.

And does anybody have any suggestions for Pseudonatural Creature invocations? Anybody at all?

17. - Top - End - #137

I concur. That is a capstone ability, and not a level 1 dip ability. I can see a lot of cheese going down with that with a no-save magical item ability that only functions on a crit...

Lord Gareth:
    Wwwwwelp, Metalmaster's added to the waiting list. Not much else one can do now.

And does anybody have any suggestions for Pseudonatural Creature invocations? Anybody at all?
    Yeah, that was something I wasn't sure about, although you would still have to confirm it. But still, it's gone now.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    Yeah, that was something I wasn't sure about, although you would still have to confirm it. But still, it's gone now.
    Why don't you swap it round and say that Smites automatically confirm if they crit?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Why don't you swap it round and say that Smites automatically confirm if they crit?
    An excellent suggestion. I was about to say the same thing myself. Many underestimate the power of automatically confirming critical threats.

20. - Top - End - #140

Wereraptor and Werebear pass by my look over. Not certain if I'm supposed to Endorse, or how this exactly works.

Edit: One issue on the Wereraptor, Its saves are wonky. I recommend strong Fortitude and Reflex, and a Weak Will.
    Last edited by AugustNights; 2010-12-05 at 03:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141

Yeah, that works. What about the rest of it?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

You've got it set such that it's an "epic template" but it doesn't actually have any sort of epic requirement. Might want to fix that, cause I can meet the entry requirements pretty early.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    You've got it set such that it's an "epic template" but it doesn't actually have any sort of epic requirement. Might want to fix that, cause I can meet the entry requirements pretty early.
    I don't deal with epic levels. That's intentional. However, by the time that you complete it, you'll be epic or near epic. That's also intentional. Trust me, I know what I'm doing- the class is able to be entered by 5th level, or 6th if you take the skill point requirement.

Smite: A number of times per day equal to 1+1/5HD, an Anarchic Creature
    Copypasta error.

Anyways... I'd like you to change it from native plane to native alignment, and then favoured plane should apply to all planes with that alignment (for example, a good aligned planar creature would get the favored alignment bonus in every plane from Arcadia to Ysgard, and then any other planes dominantly good). Set up a definition before the actual table.

24. - Top - End - #144

Copypasta error.
    Crud. Thought I dealt with all of those.

Anyways... I'd like you to change it from native plane to native alignment, and then favoured plane should apply to all planes with that alignment (for example, a good aligned planar creature would get the favored alignment bonus in every plane from Arcadia to Ysgard, and then any other planes dominantly good). Set up a definition before the actual table.
    Yeah, like I said, I wasn't sure how to define all that stuff.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChumpLump View Post
    Wereraptor and Werebear pass by my look over. Not certain if I'm supposed to Endorse, or how this exactly works.

Edit: One issue on the Wereraptor, Its saves are wonky. I recommend strong Fortitude and Reflex, and a Weak Will.
    Done. Although I might be off on the saves, IDK.

THIS
    Wins

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Bec Noir avatar by Derjuin, thanks! Yes, that sword in his chest is a part of him.

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by Betropper View Post
    Done. Although I might be off on the saves, IDK.
    Standard Strong save progression would be:
    2-3-3-4

Standard Weak save progression would be:
    0-0-1-1

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks, got them right.

THIS
    Wins

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Gorgon, I'd like to ask you a question. You said the Styx dragon was your favorite out of the dragons correct? Why exactly? Once I finish Illurien (If ever, I've been somewhat occupied lately.) I might do a few of the other planar dragons.

EDIT: Also, two things. One, the 19th level ability of the silver dragon, at least to me, sounds more like a capstone and two, the Styx dragon gets a land speed that scales and both a swim speed and a burrow speed equal to the "Base" land speed. Does this mean the original 40 feet per round or do they scale as well? There's an error or two in the class that's bothering me and I figured I'd fix that too.

I think there should also be an option in the planar dragons to set a specific plane as "Home" at the start which can't be changed short of things like limited wish. This way, they can be used in games that don't take place in Styx or Gehenna or wherever.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-12-06 at 12:46 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Gorgon, I'd like to ask you a question. You said the Styx dragon was your favorite out of the dragons correct? Why exactly? Once I finish Illurien (If ever, I've been somewhat occupied lately.) I might do a few of the other planar dragons.
    Well, for one, it's unique. For two, it's got a PERFECT balance. For three, it has a lot of cool abilities, and pretty much every level is something to look forwards to. For four, Hyudra's disease thing is brilliant. For five, it's just cool.
    The reason is my favorite dragon is because there's nothing specific I like about it. I like everything about it.
    Well, mostly everything, but the problems I have with it, I have with every single other dragon.
    If I had to find anything specific? It's that it's in stark contrast with all the other dragons in one way: rather than the later levels being given a bunch of throwaway filler, it's chock-full of interesting and cool abilities.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Well, for one, it's unique. For two, it's got a PERFECT balance. For three, it has a lot of cool abilities, and pretty much every level is something to look forwards to. For four, Hyudra's disease thing is brilliant. For five, it's just cool.
    The reason is my favorite dragon is because there's nothing specific I like about it. I like everything about it.
    Well, mostly everything, but the problems I have with it, I have with every single other dragon.
    If I had to find anything specific? It's that it's in stark contrast with all the other dragons in one way: rather than the later levels being given a bunch of throwaway filler, it's chock-full of interesting and cool abilities.
    I'll try to pull that off with any future dragons and monster classes.

I'm currently playing in a campaign as a silver dragon. I'll tell you my experiences as such as it moves along. Right now, I'm level 2, and having three attacks hasn't actually been that big a deal in terms of balance.

If it's not a problem, can you address the two other things I edited in my post?
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-12-06 at 12:49 AM.