New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Psionics Combo Question and Build Advice!!!

I was recently arguing with another GM over Psionics vs. Magic. So I put the question to you: Which system do you thing is better, and which is more balanced?

Also, I'm looking to play a mind blade in a friends campaign -- any ideas as to how to make a decent build? I'm considering building to Illumine Soul as it seems cool and doesnt detract much from the overall mindbladery, but I have a feeling this might be a bad idea. Any thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Psionics Combo Question and Build Advice!!!

A few things:
    1. Psionics is less powerful and more balanced than arcane magic, but it's still really freaking powerful, so be aware.
    2. Soul Knives suck. I recommend using a homebrew fix (there are a lot of them online).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

You want a Psychic Warrior with Soulbound Weaponry. Basically Soulknife with Powers. Kinda like a Jedi with built-in Light Saber really
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I like Psionics a bit more, because it's a bit more balanced, and easier to grasp.

Psionics can still be very powerful, and can be about as balanced as an elephant on a tightrope. Of course, a Wizard's spellcasting would be an elephant on a unicycle on the same tightrope, so it doesn't mean much to say that psionics is broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Gamer cancels life, interrupted by Dwarf Fortress.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

Why is your DM complaining? Soulknives have a tangential relationship with psionics at best.

Ask your DM to use the Dreamscarred Press Soulknife. If not, use the Soulbound Weapon Psychic Warrior linked earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Psionics is harder for someone to screw up, more like traditional combat magic and more balanced. So, yeah.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

7. - Top - End - #7
    Spamalot in the Playground

Yes - Psionics is breakable, but you have to actually try to do it. So long as you remember the cardinal rule ("You can't spend more PP on any given power than your manifester level") then you can just play normally without breaking anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)