New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Brainstorm for Psionic Tricks, Tactics, and Combos Handbook

Someone more melee-savvy than I can field the first two. For the third:

Quote Originally Posted by Meriss View Post
    3. Is Body Fuel in the Overchannel tree or not? And is the Ability burn to all three abilities (STR, DEX, CON) at once? Also RAW is unclear, is the burn permanent or not?
    1) Body Fuel does not require Overchannel.
    2) Yes, all three abilities are burned simultaneously.
    3) Ability Burn is not permanent, but neither can it be healed by any means other than natural healing. This means you get the scores back extremely slowly (1 point per day, or two points per day with complete bed rest.) On the plus side, all three burned scores will heal simultaneously, so you don't need to wait for one to return to normal before getting back another etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

So then this doesn't work?

Trick requires
    Human CON 13+ Psychic Warrior 4
    Mind over Body
    Body Fuel
    Empower Power
    Rapid Metabolism
    Powers Known: Animal Affinity, Body Purification
    1. Manifest Animal Affinity to your dump stat
    2. Use Body Fuel, Burn as much Ability Points as needed
    3. Empower Body Purification at 4PP to regain one score up to whatever it was before burning.
    4. Repeat 3 till all abilities restored

Never mind. My brain is offline today. It looked like it was going to work.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

So then this doesn't work?

Trick requires
    Human CON 13+ Psychic Warrior 4
    Mind over Body
    Body Fuel
    Empower Power
    Rapid Metabolism
    Powers Known: Animal Affinity, Body Purification
    1. Manifest Animal Affinity to your dump stat
    2. Use Body Fuel, Burn as much Ability Points as needed
    3. Empower Body Purification at 4PP to regain one score up to whatever it was before burning.
    4. Repeat 3 till all abilities restored

Never mind. My brain is offline today. It looked like it was going to work.
    Correct, Body Purification won't cure Ability Burn. Strongheart Vest may work, depending on how your DM feels about that like with Hellfire Warlock. Binding Naberius is probably the easiest method, since Faster Healing speeds up ability damage healing, instead of outright curing it.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Can I get a logic check on a couple of things?

1. Reading Animal Affinity, it looks like, if a psychic warrior manifests AA to get 19 DEX (15 base). Does that then mean that if said PW has Combat Reflexes they would then have 6 Attacks of opportunity? Then if I throw in Prowess and 7 PP to Offensive Precognition I'm getting potentially 7+ AoO per round and maxing out at AB +8 (+4BAB +2STR +3 Insight +1 Wep Foc +1 Target Species (From UA Ranger) -2 two wep penalty)?
    Combat Reflexes puts you at 1+ Dex Mod available attacks of opportunity. 19 Dex is a +4 Dex modifier. So it'd be 5 AoO's... and you'd need your opponents to actually provoke them to make use of them. But yes, if you spend two or three rounds buffing while you're burning through power points like there's no next encounter, you can do some fun stuff on round 3 or 4 where the battle's pretty much already decided anyway in 80-90% of actual games, yes.
    2. Would someone teleporting into a nearby or my square trigger attacks of opportunity?
    Not without some special reason for it, no. Teleportation, of itself, doesn't trigger AoO's, and AoO's for movement (by default) only trigger when someone leaves a square you threaten, not when they enter a square you threaten. There's different ways to change this with specific builds... but the default is "no".
    3. Is Body Fuel in the Overchannel tree or not? And is the Ability burn to all three abilities (STR, DEX, CON) at once? Also RAW is unclear, is the burn permanent or not?
    a) Body Fuel requires Overchannel, so yes, it's part of the Overchannel feat tree.
    b) "to each of" means you take the hit on all three abilities, yes.
    c) That's just because you're looking in the wrong spot. Ability Burn is explicitly ability damage, which heals at the normal rate for such, but will only recover with "natural healing" (no potions, spells, or powers will fix it).
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #185

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    a) Body Fuel requires Overchannel, so yes, it's part of the Overchannel feat tree.
    It's weird. The text for Body Fuel does not list this prereq at all, but it is in the table. I'm not sure it matters since nobody should ever take Body Fuel anyway, but shouldn't the text be right?
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    It's weird. The text for Body Fuel does not list this prereq at all, but it is in the table. I'm not sure it matters since nobody should ever take Body Fuel anyway, but shouldn't the text be right?
    *Blink*
    Huh, never noticed that. What's the actual XPH say... the same. Interesting.

So no, it's not in the feat tree, as per the Errata:
    Quote Originally Posted by XPH Errata
    When the text within a product contradicts itself, our
    general policy is that the primary source is correct and
    any secondary reference is incorrect. This means that
    the skill list in the character chapter is correct, while the
    table in the skill chapter that is merely referencing that
    information is therefore a secondary source. Exceptions
    to the rule will be called out specifically.
    Strange.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

I have a question about the incarnum recharge trick.

Since Midnight Augmentation is only reducing Augmentation cost and neither of the powers used in the Linked power feat are augmented. How comes & the reduction is counted in?

Did I miss something?

8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raendyn View Post

Since Midnight Augmentation is only reducing Augmentation cost and neither of the powers used in the Linked power feat are augmented. How comes & the reduction is counted in?

Did I miss something?
    you augment bestow power once.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raendyn View Post

Did I miss something?
    I'm not sure, but I suspect that the author of that trick may have. Still, it is possible to use Midnight Augmentation and Bestow Power to recharge - you'll just need a second focus (Psicrystal containment), and Psycharnum Infusion. You'll also need to be higher level, but essentually, you blow, one focus on Midnight Augmentation, the other on Psycharnum Infusion, and Bestow Power on yourself with enough Augmentation that you get a net gain; takes two or three iterations of the augmentation, without further cost reduction (see "Embrace of Mother Earth").

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post
    you augment bestow power once.
    1pp for the first lvl power + 6pp for the once-augmented Bestow Power = 7pp

7pp -1pp(Midnight Augmentation) -2pp (Metapower) = 4 spent & 4 gained

So it doesn't recharge you... you need to invest 2 points of essentia i BP!

Edit: The funny thing is that someone mentions that the reduction is for augmentation at the 1st page... though he also counts it at his total pp reduction...

IT can be done if you have 2 points of essentia invested in Bestow Power.
    same formula as above but extra -1 cost. spent 3 gain 4.

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Still, it is possible to use Midnight Augmentation and Bestow Power to recharge - you'll just need a second focus (Psicrystal containment), and Psycharnum Infusion. You'll also need to be higher level, but essentually, you blow, one focus on Midnight Augmentation, the other on Psycharnum Infusion, and Bestow Power on yourself with enough Augmentation that you get a net gain;
    Can you explain? how does Psycarnum infusion works with that?
    Last edited by Raendyn; 2011-09-19 at 08:01 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

I found an alternative to the incarnum trick.

Feats: Twin power, metapower ( twin bestow power), midnight augmentation, crystal container.

You need to invest 2 points of essentia to Bestow power for MNAugmentation
    You augment BP to 9pp and twin it for an extra 6pp =15

We have -2 reduction from metapower & -2 from the MNA thats a cost of 11 and we gain 12.

It needs ML11 but with overchannel and tallented you can do it at 9ML.

Although having metapower twin to bestow power is a little *meh*

12. - Top - End - #192

get a metamind 10, apopsi it so it only knows temporal regression and bestow power, and get it to play with a brain mole.

physicists cry.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

get a metamind 10, apopsi it so it only knows temporal regression and bestow power, and get it to play with a brain mole.

physicists cry.
    On the contrary, as a physicist I'm quite pleased.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

14. - Top - End - #194

More Incarnum goodness! There is an oft-overlooked power in MoI with a thousand uses, whether turning your entire party into a team of manifesters, letting an Erudite (13+) bypass his UPD yet again, or simply splitting your manifesting abilities with your psicrystal.

I need a catchier name, but since this one has a lot of moving parts, I'll just go with Soul Crystal for now. Erudites get the most benefit from this, but it carries strong bonuses for any primary manifester - particularly those who simply don't want their leftover PP going to waste at bedtime.

Spoiler
    Show
    You will need:
    - The Soul Crystal power (MoI pg. 107)
    - Extend Power (optional)
    - Metapower (optional)
    - As many PP/ML boosters as you can get, plus at least 13 for each crystal you make

Background:
    Soul Crystal is a 7th-level general Psion/Wilder power from Magic of Incarnum. Despite its source, it has no connection to Incarnum at all besides flavor - it doesn't require any essentia, incarnum class levels, or incarnum feat requirements. It allows a manifester to store any power they know, along with power points (equal to twice their manifester level); this crystal can then be used - by anyone, regardless of class - to manifest the power contained within. The crystals last for hours/level or until their PP store is depleted, whichever comes first.

Method:
    1a) Manifest Soul Crystal (extended if possible) and pick any powers you want the following day. Imbue each crystal you create with the PP that power will need, taking into account any augmentations you may want.
    1b) Alternatively for Erudites: reserve one of your UPD during the adventuring day for Soul Crystal, and whenever you come across a situation that needs one of your niche powers, make it into a gem. Then give it to someone else or have your psicrystal activate it for you.
    2) Give the crystals to your party members, or simply keep them for yourself, cohorts and psicrystal (more on this later.)

Notes:
    1) No matter who you give the powers to, they are treated as the manifester - but they manifest the powers at your ML and can even augment them (provided you stored enough PP in the crystal - they cannot use their own or any other source.) This means that anyone can use the powers you hand out, even the Fighter - and because they are treated as the manifester, they can use even powers with a range of "personal" on themselves, such as Metamorphosis, Expansion, Inertial Armor, or Vigor.

You can also "give" them to your psicrystal, keeping both in your pocket/backpack etc., and have it use its own standard actions manifesting from the crystal or crystals while you do something else. And finally, you can "give" them to yourself; this is especially useful for storing PP you have left over at the end of the day in a crystal containing a power you know you'll be using a lot the next day.

Because you are still treated as the manifester, an Erudite giving the crystals to himself may still add to his UPD count using these; it's not clear and could be a DM call. If your DM doesn't rule this way, great - but if he does, simply hand off any utility crystals to someone else, or make a crystal of Metaconcert to use with my Erudite Concerto trick (see note 3 for more on this.)

2) Soul Crystal's only limit is the number of PP you possess - creating the crystals costs no XP, gold, essentia or other resource. It also lasts hours/level, meaning you can make a bunch of crystals at bedtime with your remaining PP, and hand them out in the morning (particularly if you Extend them, and/or temporarily boost your ML before creation.) Each crystal will last a minimum of 13 hours (the minimum ML you need to manifest the power) - extending it will make them last 26 hours for over a day of adventuring, or you can simply boost your ML, or both. You should boost your ML as much as possible anyway, because the crystals capture your ML at the moment of creation; so Overchannel, Wild Surge, use ioun stones, manifester arrows, anything.

3) By RAW, manifesting a power from the crystal is always a standard action. This is bad news for swift powers like Catfall, Psionic Lion's Charge, and Hustle, but very good news for slow powers like Astral Construct, True Mind Switch, Identify, Psychic Chirurgery, and even Genesis. Yes, you heard right - standard action Genesis.

However, an even better slow-cast power to use with this is Metaconcert; particularly for Erudites. Having your psicrystal initiate a metaconcert in a mere standard action allows you to use your entire repertoire in combat without entering one ahead of time. Even better, initiating a metaconcert this way means that your psicrystal doesn't have to be psionic to make it work - merely using the shard treats the psicrystal as though he were a psion with your ML for the concert's duration. This means that your psicrystal won't need feats (including Wild Talent) to pull this off, in case your DM doesn't like that particular ruling.

4) The crystal persists either until the duration expires or until the PP contained within it are used up. You can imbue each crystal with PP = twice your ML, regardless of the cost of the power itself. This means that many crystals can be used multiple times per day.

To really break your DM's brain, make an Extended Soul Crystal of Soul Crystal, containing exactly 13 PP, at as high an ML as you can possibly get. At the end of the adventuring day, you can use this to manifest Soul Crystal for free, meaning that the only PP you have to spend on that crystal are the PP you want to store for the following day's use. What's more, they will store the high ML you used the previous day during their creation, meaning that whatever ML boost you used the previous day won't have to be used again. You can also Twin Soul Crystal to get two gems per manifestation, though you must still separately supply the PP to use with each one.

It is unclear if you can use metapsionics with a stored power; if not, simply use them on Soul Crystal itself (particularly Extend, Twin and Metapower) and save the stored PP for augmentation.

5) Finally, a corollary trick: if you have a way of gaining arbitrarily large bonus or infinite PP (e.g. the Metamind capstone, however briefly), this is a great way to spend it. Get your ML as ridiculously high as possible (consumables, feats, locations, etc.) and use the high cap to cram as many PP into each crystal as you can. The cap for each crystal will be 2x your ML no matter which power you put in each one. Typically this will mean you can use a fully-augmented power twice, but the user of the crystal can adjust this on the fly as fits the situation.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #195
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    You haven't reduced the XP cost; you've just distributed it.

Ofc, there's some benefit to doing that: you have a larger XP pool to draw upon and you can more readily refill that pool.

(This is probably the place for a Memory Bottle trick.)
    Actually, not having to add psychic Chirurgery to all the characters that you want to have give you powers back does spare some xp.

16. - Top - End - #196

if sandwiched, what happens to your physical ability scores? and what does your type become? is there even an answer by RAW?

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

if sandwiched, what happens to your physical ability scores? and what does your type become? is there even an answer by RAW?
    Yes. If you do that funny true mind switch to become a sandwich, then you become an object, with nonabilities for Str, Dex, and Con (and Int, depending on method).
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2011-10-02 at 04:32 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    More Incarnum goodness! There is an oft-overlooked power in MoI with a thousand uses, whether turning your entire party into a team of manifesters, letting an Erudite (13+) bypass his UPD yet again, or simply splitting your manifesting abilities with your psicrystal.

I need a catchier name, but since this one has a lot of moving parts, I'll just go with Soul Crystal for now. Erudites get the most benefit from this, but it carries strong bonuses for any primary manifester - particularly those who simply don't want their leftover PP going to waste at bedtime.

Spoiler
    Show
    You will need:
    - The Soul Crystal power (MoI pg. 107)
    - Extend Power (optional)
    - Metapower (optional)
    - As many PP/ML boosters as you can get, plus at least 13 for each crystal you make

Background:
    Soul Crystal is a 7th-level general Psion/Wilder power from Magic of Incarnum. Despite its source, it has no connection to Incarnum at all besides flavor - it doesn't require any essentia, incarnum class levels, or incarnum feat requirements. It allows a manifester to store any power they know, along with power points (equal to twice their manifester level); this crystal can then be used - by anyone, regardless of class - to manifest the power contained within. The crystals last for hours/level or until their PP store is depleted, whichever comes first.

Method:
    1a) Manifest Soul Crystal (extended if possible) and pick any powers you want the following day. Imbue each crystal you create with the PP that power will need, taking into account any augmentations you may want.
    1b) Alternatively for Erudites: reserve one of your UPD during the adventuring day for Soul Crystal, and whenever you come across a situation that needs one of your niche powers, make it into a gem. Then give it to someone else or have your psicrystal activate it for you.
    2) Give the crystals to your party members, or simply keep them for yourself, cohorts and psicrystal (more on this later.)

Notes:
    1) No matter who you give the powers to, they are treated as the manifester - but they manifest the powers at your ML and can even augment them (provided you stored enough PP in the crystal - they cannot use their own or any other source.) This means that anyone can use the powers you hand out, even the Fighter - and because they are treated as the manifester, they can use even powers with a range of "personal" on themselves, such as Metamorphosis, Expansion, Inertial Armor, or Vigor.

You can also "give" them to your psicrystal, keeping both in your pocket/backpack etc., and have it use its own standard actions manifesting from the crystal or crystals while you do something else. And finally, you can "give" them to yourself; this is especially useful for storing PP you have left over at the end of the day in a crystal containing a power you know you'll be using a lot the next day.

Because you are still treated as the manifester, an Erudite giving the crystals to himself may still add to his UPD count using these; it's not clear and could be a DM call. If your DM doesn't rule this way, great - but if he does, simply hand off any utility crystals to someone else, or make a crystal of Metaconcert to use with my Erudite Concerto trick (see note 3 for more on this.)

2) Soul Crystal's only limit is the number of PP you possess - creating the crystals costs no XP, gold, essentia or other resource. It also lasts hours/level, meaning you can make a bunch of crystals at bedtime with your remaining PP, and hand them out in the morning (particularly if you Extend them, and/or temporarily boost your ML before creation.) Each crystal will last a minimum of 13 hours (the minimum ML you need to manifest the power) - extending it will make them last 26 hours for over a day of adventuring, or you can simply boost your ML, or both. You should boost your ML as much as possible anyway, because the crystals capture your ML at the moment of creation; so Overchannel, Wild Surge, use ioun stones, manifester arrows, anything.

3) By RAW, manifesting a power from the crystal is always a standard action. This is bad news for swift powers like Catfall, Psionic Lion's Charge, and Hustle, but very good news for slow powers like Astral Construct, True Mind Switch, Identify, Psychic Chirurgery, and even Genesis. Yes, you heard right - standard action Genesis.

However, an even better slow-cast power to use with this is Metaconcert; particularly for Erudites. Having your psicrystal initiate a metaconcert in a mere standard action allows you to use your entire repertoire in combat without entering one ahead of time. Even better, initiating a metaconcert this way means that your psicrystal doesn't have to be psionic to make it work - merely using the shard treats the psicrystal as though he were a psion with your ML for the concert's duration. This means that your psicrystal won't need feats (including Wild Talent) to pull this off, in case your DM doesn't like that particular ruling.

4) The crystal persists either until the duration expires or until the PP contained within it are used up. You can imbue each crystal with PP = twice your ML, regardless of the cost of the power itself. This means that many crystals can be used multiple times per day.

To really break your DM's brain, make an Extended Soul Crystal of Soul Crystal, containing exactly 13 PP, at as high an ML as you can possibly get. At the end of the adventuring day, you can use this to manifest Soul Crystal for free, meaning that the only PP you have to spend on that crystal are the PP you want to store for the following day's use. What's more, they will store the high ML you used the previous day during their creation, meaning that whatever ML boost you used the previous day won't have to be used again. You can also Twin Soul Crystal to get two gems per manifestation, though you must still separately supply the PP to use with each one.

It is unclear if you can use metapsionics with a stored power; if not, simply use them on Soul Crystal itself (particularly Extend, Twin and Metapower) and save the stored PP for augmentation.

5) Finally, a corollary trick: if you have a way of gaining arbitrarily large bonus or infinite PP (e.g. the Metamind capstone, however briefly), this is a great way to spend it. Get your ML as ridiculously high as possible (consumables, feats, locations, etc.) and use the high cap to cram as many PP into each crystal as you can. The cap for each crystal will be 2x your ML no matter which power you put in each one. Typically this will mean you can use a fully-augmented power twice, but the user of the crystal can adjust this on the fly as fits the situation.
    LAst month I found this little precious gem in MoI. I totally agree that it can be most abusive & i just wait for my psion to be able to manifest it in a few lvls...
    Last edited by Raendyn; 2011-10-04 at 02:26 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Lots of people don't realize that Midnight Augment caps at essentia invested = power level, and you can't increase this by any feat or ability. No matter what your normal essentia capacity is for feats, you can still only invest as many essentia into a power you know as the level of that power. So the max on Bestow Power is 2 essentia.

Its a 2nd level power, so it costs 3 PP. Augmenting it comes in 3 PP stages. Thus, a single augment would be 6 PP, which would grant 4 PP. With Midnight Augment, that would return 4 PP max.

The only way it would work would be if you could raise that cap on Midnight Augment (which you can't) or lower the PP cost of Bestow Power. If you had a Torc of Power Preservation, it would work, recharging you 1 PP per manifest (spend 3 for a normally 6 PP Bestow Power, get back 4). If you had Psionic Meditation, you could do it once per round, for 10 PP a minute and 600 PP per hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Its a 2nd level power, so it costs 3 PP. Augmenting it comes in 3 PP stages. Thus, a single augment would be 6 PP, which would grant 4 PP. With Midnight Augment, that would return 4 PP max.
    Note that there's also multiple readings on what exactly the reduction means - is it per iteration of the augment, or is it total for augmentation?

If it's per augmentation iteration, then you augment twice and gain 6 pp at a cost of 5.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Um...that is kinda...wow. Thats about the most abusive reading of the feat possible. You could spend 1 essentia on Energy Ray, and augment it by 1 each time, infinite times, and it would still only cost you 1 PP, and deal infinited6 damage. Thats about the most ludacris thing I've ever heard.

No, you have base cost + sum of augments + metapsionics <= ML. Even if you could possibly read it as RAW that way, its useless to consider it this way. Its not even on the top end of optimization, its WAY past that. I'm normally one for high end tricks like early entry and other stuff, but this introduces a level of infinite that just destroys the game. Cause the rocket tag we have isn't broken enough, you can now have infinite damage at level 1. To argue that RAI for this is actually intended is like saying that dividing by 0 is supposed to happen. While there is theory that exists to tell us what happens, it doesn't happen in real life. Ever.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Um...that is kinda...wow. Thats about the most abusive reading of the feat possible. You could spend 1 essentia on Energy Ray, and augment it by 1 each time, infinite times, and it would still only cost you 1 PP, and deal infinited6 damage. Thats about the most ludacris thing I've ever heard.
    "This can't reduce the augmentation cost to less than 1". The base augment cost of Energy Ray is already 1.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, my bad...you have to wait till level 2. 2 pp to destroy the world. That's much more reasonable. Thank you for that.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, my bad...you have to wait till level 2. 2 pp to destroy the world. That's much more reasonable. Thank you for that.
    I might point out that if it's based on the augmentation step in one spot, then it's clearly based on the augmentation step in the other. Which means to have any effect at all, you'd need an augmentation that has a step of at least 2, under that interpretation.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2011-10-04 at 08:54 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Lots of people don't realize that Midnight Augment caps at essentia invested = power level, and you can't increase this by any feat or ability. No matter what your normal essentia capacity is for feats, you can still only invest as many essentia into a power you know as the level of that power. So the max on Bestow Power is 2 essentia.
    The way i got it, you are refering to me, I am the only one that touched MNA & BP lately. When all my examples are at 2 invested essentia in MNA tops.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The only way it would work would be if you could raise that cap on Midnight Augment (which you can't) or lower the PP cost of Bestow Power.
    We do it by using Metapower and linking to a 1st level power. The -2 from Metapower and the +1 from the 1st level power net us out to 4 pp from a 3 pp expenditure.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'm trying to figure out if the following setup works. Perhaps anyone can shed their infinite wisdom on it:

Classes : L1 ardent / L1+ Psion
    Ardent mantle : Physical mantle
    Feats: Body fuel

The physical mantle allows you to expend your psionic focus to gain 2 STR, DEX and CON for 1 round. After boosting your abilities you could use the body fuel feat to regain 4 power points by burning the temporary stat increase from the physical mantle.

The thing I'm unsure about is whether you can actually burn temporary stat bonuses. I can't any rules saying that it is not possible nor any rules that state which stats are burned first or last. There are some temporary bonuses from abilities that specifically state they are lost after the time frame but nothing more. Anyways, my GM allows this trick as long as I only use it at max once per round.

28. - Top - End - #208

Quote Originally Posted by Xenovore View Post
    I'm trying to figure out if the following setup works. Perhaps anyone can shed their infinite wisdom on it:

Classes : L1 ardent / L1+ Psion
    Ardent mantle : Physical mantle
    Feats: Body fuel

The physical mantle allows you to expend your psionic focus to gain 2 STR, DEX and CON for 1 round. After boosting your abilities you could use the body fuel feat to regain 4 power points by burning the temporary stat increase from the physical mantle.

The thing I'm unsure about is whether you can actually burn temporary stat bonuses. I can't any rules saying that it is not possible nor any rules that state which stats are burned first or last. There are some temporary bonuses from abilities that specifically state they are lost after the time frame but nothing more. Anyways, my GM allows this trick as long as I only use it at max once per round.
    This doesn't work quite the way you want it to. Ability damage applies to your scores themselves, not to any bonuses. This means that once your boost from the mantle fades, the burn stays, and your scores are now lower than when you started; you would have to keep activating the mantle to break even, and further ability burn would only make you sink lower.

For instance, you activate Physical Power - you are now +2 to all physical scores.
    Then you ability burn - you are now +0 all physical (2 - 2 = 0)
    When your next turn starts, your Physical Power ends - you are now -2 all physical, which stays until the end of the day when you can rest.

If you repeat the trick, you are now 0 all physical (-2 + 2)
    Burn again, you are now -2 all physical (-2 -2 + 2) because ability damage stacks.
    Physical Power fades, and you are now -4 all physical.

And so on. Keep it up and you could end up killing yourself once your physical power ends.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #209

mitigate suffering, however, should work, yes? sure, someone else would have to have it, but.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hello everyone.

I'll be playing a Psion soon, and while trying to shoehorn a recharge method in the build, I came up with this.

Minimum level : as soon as you can get to ML 13.

Feats:
    Twin Power
    Metapower, linked to Twin Bestow Power
    Psycristal Affinity, Psicrystal Containment
    (Optional : Overchannel)

Items:
    (Optional : Torc of Power Preservation)

Powers:
    Bestow Power

Method :
    Get both your foci, expend both on Twin Twin Bestow Power, push your ML to at least 13 (with Torc, 14 without), augment Bestow Power at least once.

Bestow power costs 2PP if using the item.
    Twinning it twice with metapower costs 8PP.
    Augmenting it once costs 3PP.
    Cost : 2 + 8 + 3 = 13 PP.
    Gain : (2+2)*2*2 = 16 PP.
    Benefit : 3 PP.

It's not much, so it's a good thing that it scales well (if I may say so myself).
    Augmented once more, it costs 16 PP to manifest, and return 24 PP, gaining 8.
    Augmented three times, it costs 19 PP, and gives 32, gain : 13.

That is the limit at lvl16 (unless you pump your ML some other additional way). By the time you hit lvl17 you get Affinity Field, so this gets exponentially more useful instead of linearly.

I don't claim credit for this, having pretty much deduced it from this thread and similar others.
    Last edited by Cor1; 2012-01-19 at 11:31 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Dew View Post
    Hey! Birth is a wonderful, beautiful thing! If the father is watching at the right time, he gets to see the baby's head emerge from the birth canal with the brains squashing out through the cracks in baby's skull, held in only by skin!
    I'm posting for the first time after months of self-imposed exile to say that I hate you for this message.