New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default How to roleplay with 4 Cha

My friend and I both started playing druids with 4cha, but nobody knows how we should roleplay. We all hate it when fighters with 8int act overly intelligent. Now how would someone with 4cha act. Like can they not talk or something.
    Why on earth do druids and monks have diplomacy?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: How to roleplay with 4 Cha

Growl and Hiss.
    If something doesn't work, hit it.
    If it still doesn't work, hit it harder.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Low Cha like this indicates very low self-esteem and next to zero social skills.
    Last edited by RebelRogue; 2010-12-01 at 08:43 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, but around that low they would be well beyond the " low self esteem introvert with no social skills." Really, with a cha that low the "growl and hiss" comment seems rather accurate as the 4 cha range is around that of some animals, or perhaps even lower. I have to check animal stats again to see. However, as a counter argument, you could say the ability to speak is based on int instead of cha, in which case a 4 cha character may have the ability to talk but just would be utterly horrible at saying the correct thing.
    Last edited by Maho-Tsukai; 2010-12-01 at 08:47 PM.
    Awesome evil Necro-Cleric Avatar created by Ceika

In D&D I am a..

Spoiler
    Show
    Level 3 Lawful Evil Half-Elf Cleric with the following ability scores...

Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 17
    Charisma- 16

To find out your D&D self take this quiz today!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doughnut Master View Post
    Growl and Hiss.
    Well we are turtle people. Also is it a stupid idea that we made identical druids. We just wanted to play the wonder twins.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Think of the most anti social, most abrasive, most terrible liar, most uninteresting, most annoying, most unfriendly, most impolite, most GOD DAMN IT WILL YOU JUST STOP F@CKING TALKING I HATE YOU AND ALL YOU REPRESENT ON JUST A PERSONAL BASIS!!! person you can think of.

You might be close.
    Last edited by TKB; 2010-12-01 at 08:49 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maho-Tsukai View Post
    Yeah, but around that low they would be well beyond the " low self esteem introvert with no social skills." Really, with a cha that low the "growl and hiss" comment seems rather accurate as the 4 cha range is around that of some animals, or perhaps even lower. I have to check animal stats again to see.
    Animals usually have higher Cha than Int. Cha is defined as a measure of self-awareness, if I remember right.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

this is a common misconception. charisma is your force of personality, and therefore how often people notice you. the lower your charisma is, the less people notice you and when they do notice you, like you. Therefore, your character with 4 charisma could be intelligent, cheery, friendly, and essentially there's just something about him that people ignore or don't like. whenever he draws attention to himself, people perceive his actions in the worst ways
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

9. - Top - End - #9

I always thought "self-awareness" was the domain of wisdom, not charisma. Charisma to me was about your ability to interact with others in a favorable way, how appealing you are to them, your social skills and overall your "force of personality" To me anyway, self-awareness covers things like knowing your own personality, your own flaws, your own weaknesses and strengths and that overall spiritual concept of knowing the "real you" all of which, in my book, fall under wis, not cha. You can still be exceptionally charismatic and have little insight into who you are as a person. I mean, look at Hitler, he had great charisma yet in his mind saw himself as the messiah of the Aryan race rather then the cruel dictator his actions clearly showed him to be. However, I may be confusing "self-awareness" in the spiritual/insight sense with the more mundane, literal use of that term.
    Last edited by Maho-Tsukai; 2010-12-01 at 09:02 PM.
    Awesome evil Necro-Cleric Avatar created by Ceika

In D&D I am a..

Spoiler
    Show
    Level 3 Lawful Evil Half-Elf Cleric with the following ability scores...

Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 17
    Charisma- 16

To find out your D&D self take this quiz today!

10. - Top - End - #10

Here's how I would do an NPC that way;

Player: "Hey, what'cha up to?"

NPC: "Hi! Not much right now, actually." -goes back to work-

Player: "Uhh, excuse me?"

NPC: "WHAT! WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT!"
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

It's hard to roleplay such low charisma without becoming a caricature. But then, if it's not a completely serious game, what's wrong with that? Be either completely disgusting and unlikable, or a total shrinking violet who has trouble communicating even in simple, everyday scenarios. Or combine them both. Just make sure not to be annoying to the other players - play your character's lack of social skills either for drama or for comedy.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cealocanth View Post

I don't know why, but I found this very amusing. May I sig it?
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2010-12-01 at 09:11 PM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cealocanth View Post

Player: "Hey, what'cha up to?"

NPC: "Hi! Not much right now, actually." -goes back to work-

May I sig this as well?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    I don't know why, nut I found this very amusing.
    Possibly because it reminds you of this.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Possibly because it reminds you of this.
    Is it a good or a bad sign that I knew what video this would be the moment I saw your post?

Back on topic: since the character(s) is a druid, I guess he has a high Wis score. This means that not only is the character a chronically depressed wallflower nobody notices, he's also painfully aware of it. Rather tragic, really.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hinata, or some extremely creepy person who everyone dislikes (leans in really close when talking, looks into people's eyes for way too long, openly looks down women's shirts, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRogue View Post
    Back on topic: since the character(s) is a druid, I guess he has a high Wis score. This means that not only is the character a chronically depressed wallflower nobody notices, he's also painfully aware of it. Rather tragic, really.
    oh gods, we've discovered my stats...
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

He has to tie a pork chop to himself to get his animal companion to play with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Play him as somewhere on the Autism spectrum maybe?

Being on the spectrum myself, I'd basically say, in my case, it's a penalty to wis, cha, and a number of social skills, especially "Sense Motive".
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2010-12-01 at 09:29 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRogue View Post
    Low Cha like this indicates very low self-esteem and next to zero social skills.
    <cheap joke>In other words, your typical gamer just needs to be themself.</cheap joke>

But yeah, I'd agree with the autism suggestion. Charisma of 3 or 4 is way past low social skills and well into "mental disorder".
    Last edited by tbarrie; 2010-12-01 at 10:04 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

A charisma score that low really will take both GM and Player effort to pull of realistically. Charisma is your "force of personality" or, how much people like you. I can be measured by how much a person is liked by someone with no external stimuli altering that. So, people with high Cha are pretty much automatically liked, they seem personable and many are willing to do what they say. People with low Cha are usually disliked and can often be obnoxious. Technically, you can be the nicest guy in the world and still have a low Cha, people will just... not like you.

An example of this is to think of someone you don't like, who you don't know. You really have no reason to dislike them, because you don't know much about them, it's just that something about them rubs you the wrong way. So 4 Cha would play something along the lines of you being socially unaware, can't connect with people, don't understand how other people think/feel and are always stepping on toes because of it, and your GM will have to play all the NPC's where they just automatically don't really like you.

Should be an interesting experience. I have trouble playing low Int/Wis (my personal strong stats), I just... hard to think that way.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Personally, I consider not only personality, but looks to be a big part of charisma. So you may be nice, but if you look like a monster, people aren't going to take very kindly to you. Makes it a little easier to play as well.

When you said druids with low cha, the immediate thought that came to my mind would be that you're practically feral. If you're going wonder-twins, perhaps you two could even have developed your own language. Although, I don't know what turtle sounds like.
    If something doesn't work, hit it.
    If it still doesn't work, hit it harder.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Speak very loud and don't be subtle.

24. - Top - End - #24

Why the **** would I tell you? Wow, you really are stupid, why couldn't you see... Huh. You know that your really, really ugly, right?
    Goes down really well with royalty, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelonius View Post
    Well, strangely enough a faction with Reputation 0 and history of past betrayals proved itself to be rather untrustworthy. My hat is off for the Mothriders.

Damn, about 29 stats in one swipe. Since I'm clearly the next I'm booby-trapping every inch of the Maze.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Charisma, in it's most basic form, it is the power to assert the difference between yourself and your surroundings. That is why someone whose charisma is drained to zero is comatose and unable to realize that they are in fact, a living being with the ability to do things. With only 4 charisma, you are of course aware of this, but you don't consider it an important thing.

If someone is talking at you, assume there's someone behind you and they're talking to them.

If you do something right, assume someone else deserves credit or that anyone could have done it if they wanted to.

Even if you are one of the most powerful people on the planet, think of yourself as an unremarkable peon that no one cares about.

When the party bard composes the ballad of your party's adventures, he will leave you out of it, even if you were the top contributor. He's not being mean, he just legitimately forgot about you. Don't confront him about it, though. You would have forgotten you were there too, if you were someone else.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A Rodney Dangerfield that isn't aware of how he's getting no respect? Or that plus a complete lack of social graces.

So basically a Butt Monkey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

I've looked at the same thing before. Like RebelRouge pointed out, you have presumably high wisdom. So you are probably aware of how others react to you.

I find that feral can be the best way to go. Maybe your characters never really learned language well, so their speech is awkward and difficult. Depending on int, possibly a more reactive than proactive character, prefers to let things happen and deal with them.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

28. - Top - End - #28

Just play a quiet jerk. Pretty simple really.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

wink Re: How to roleplay with 4 Cha

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    I've looked at the same thing before. Like RebelRouge pointed out, you have presumably high wisdom. So you are probably aware of how others react to you.

I find that feral can be the best way to go. Maybe your characters never really learned language well, so their speech is awkward and difficult. Depending on int, possibly a more reactive than proactive character, prefers to let things happen and deal with them.
    Yes the hole Feral thing would work if I didn't have 15int

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Half-orc Bard View Post
    Yes the hole Feral thing would work if I didn't have 15int
    Be really snide and sarcastic then. Don't realize when subtle comments are directed at you. Constantly make a jerk of yourself (that's what high int low cha says to me at least).