New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: What Do I Feed My Players?

Don't really have too much to add, and I generally agree with all the "portable" foods like sandwiches, hot dogs, personal pizzas that tend not to be too heavy, while still being quite delicious, and hopefully removed enough from green for your players. Oh! And also not overly processed or greasy if that's a concern for any of your players. The greasy part is for me, sometimes.

Mostly, I wanted to give you mad, mad props for feeding your players. You're an awesome dude.
    Last edited by DeckOneBell; 2010-12-06 at 03:57 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Shouldn't this be in homebrew section?*crickets*
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

My favorite:

Soup (boil water, put some broth cubes in for taste and add frozen soup vegetables and meatballs in - two times five minutes of work, ingrediënts two euros and plenty of food for ~12 people.

Have a minor encounter, or if you do not have a separate gaming table, do some freeform RP

Serve some easy casserole (if you have a big enough oven) - it's easy to prepare, and tastes delicious.

Have some players do the dishes, grab everyone a drink and do some serious hours of gaming!

At snacktime, serve some cookies. A bit of a shugar rush is good, and if it has flour in it the crash won’t be as hard. It’s better than chips, because there’s never enough chips.

After midnight, you might want to serve something like meatballs, hot dogs or boiled eggs with mayonnaise to keep up energy.

.. I happen to love cooking for my gaming group as well. There's only four others, but I have thirteen flatmates so I know how to cook for medium-large groups :-)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iferus View Post

.. I happen to love cooking for my gaming group as well. There's only four others, but I have thirteen flatmates so I know how to cook for medium-large groups :-)
    The bolded part scares me 0.o

I thought an apartment with 5 other people was cramped
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cnsvnc View Post
    Shouldn't this be in homebrew section?*crickets*
    If I had sigspace, I would totally quote that.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

6. - Top - End - #66

Bread. It's basically the best food ever.

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom Ninja View Post
    This is a good idea.

Maybe put out all the fixins of sandwiches, when a player gets nibbly then can go to the kitchen and make themselves a sammvich!
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

For simple sustenance with a dash of good flavor, I like onigiri made with sweet rice. Maybe a Japanese pickle in the center. I really love Japanese food though
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

If you're cooking for them? Then I vote for anything you d... well please!

But a voted for 'Stew'. Root veg (cheap) chopped into different sizes, anything extra you've got lying around and then add the cheapest Lamb or Beef you can find. Leave for 3+ hours - serve with bread - yummy filling and not sleep inducing.

As for this - don't do green argument - well suck it up - you kinda need the to live so they better just get used to it!

(Oh and fresh cookies as 'bait' for potential an in game trap - evil and amazing! In fact I expect Tarquin to be doing something similar soon!)

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Grogmir View Post
    (Oh and fresh cookies as 'bait' for potential an in game trap - evil and amazing! In fact I expect Tarquin to be doing something similar soon!)
    I love how GMing is one of the few "professions" where being called evil is a compliment.
    I wrote a cyberpunk book you can read for free right here: http://www.glitchlogs.com/
    Enjoy! :)

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

in my group, we each bring some money and we order a pizza.
    We now stop this thread for this blatant self-promotion of my own webcomics

http://goldensorceress.smackjeeves.com/

HUGGBEES!!
    Interesting Fact: If you spin around while saying 'Huggbees' three times real quick, Pierre Salinger will appear. Only he'll have... a beard!
    also, some of my drawings and writing
    Awesome Demon girl avatar by GreenMuffin
    and now, back to the thread

12. - Top - End - #72
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Use a big fat stew pot and have people bring in stuff, throw in a bunch of diced tomatoes and spices let everyone else handle the rest. Any kind of veg will work, throw in some beef or sausage, potatoes even pickles and i bet it will end up tasting great.

Alternatively pooling up for take out is always appealing.

Hotdog are cheap n tasty, you can grab veggie dogs if you have vegetarians

If you have time and a willing group of friends try making some homemade pizza, getting the flour n tommato sauce is cheap and have friends bring stuff to throw on, similar to the big stew thing just more pizza related, cheese is the most expensive part about this and even cheap cheese is good on pizza.

13. - Top - End - #73

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    On the same vein as tacos... an almost universal truth I have found is that somewhere nearby any city larger than 'two cows and a horse', there is a mexican fast food joint that sells really cheap tacos/burritos/etc...
    I assume he wants people at the table, not lined up outside his bathroom alternating between clutching their stomachs and their bottoms and screaming "WHY MEXICO WHY?"
    "We speak for the dead. We are all they have when the wicked steal their voice. But we do not owe them our lives."

Roy Montgomery, NYPD Sgt., Castle

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom Ninja View Post
    Make it one better: Liquid Bread... at least your group will be relaxed...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

15. - Top - End - #75
    Firbolg in the Playground

Make it one better: Liquid Bread... at least your group will be relaxed...
    Significantly more expensive though, even if you get the cheap stuff nobody actually likes.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drenn View Post
    I love how GMing is one of the few "professions" where being called evil is a compliment.
    True conversation between me and someone I was working with.

"...and then if they continue they will all be stuck there, doomed to spend the rest of their existence forever in torment."
    "You, you're a monster."
    "Why thank you! That's the first complement I have had all day."
    Amazing avatar by Ceika
    “A player is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisly when the plot dictates he should.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    You're the Stalin of dice!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Barbarian in the Playground

Pizza is the traditional venue for gaming at my table. Then again, Little Ceaser's has cheap pizzas (like 6 bucks for a Large, either cheese or pepperoni, and instantly ready).

One of the guys I know who GM's have 'GM Points'. You gain a GM point if you bring food for the group, or several other things you do outside actual gaming to help the group.

GM Points can be used for the following:

* XP equal to 10% of what is necessary to go from your current level to your next level

* If your character is killed, you may spend a point to make it 'merely a flesh wound', with the character stabilized at -9

* Used in advance to declare the result of a single die roll

* Used after a roll to gain a re-roll, taking the more favorable result

* Used to gain approval for material on the 'maybe list' (the GM triaged splatbook material into 'no problem', 'maybe', and 'hell no')

* With pre-approval of the GM, may be used for Divine Intervention of some sort within the campaign.

* May be redeemed for a magic item whose value shall not exceed 1/8th of the WBL of your current level. Will require an additional point if this item is also on the 'maybe list'.

However, for it to count as a GM point, it has to feed the group, not just you.
    Did this work well?

@OP:

My group brings snacks, I sometimes prepare soup (a mug for everybody) and my special cream - it's flour, butter, sugar, mashed bananas and some spices added to boiled milk, then cooked for 10 minutes(a mug for everybody)...

As a player and DM I prefer eating peanuts, hazelnuts and all other nutty goodness... It has a tendency of feeding you really easy, it's relatively healthy and relatively cheap...

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaww View Post
    Did this work well?
    Quite well, in point of fact. It didn't unbalance the game, but made the players a whole lot more willing to do things like bring food for everyone or clean up the place so everyone can use his digs to game in this time around. You know, the out of game stuff that impacts game play.

For example, when the GM's car broke down, a guy was awarded a GM point for providing transportation for the GM and a couple others to carpool with.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

I'm tempted to say "treat them like mushrooms, leave them in the dark and feed them s**t," but I suppose that wouldn't be very nice. Here's what I suggest, it requires a working oven, a copy of the Joy of Cooking, and a day you can devote to baking:

Find the recipie for crosoints in the Joy of Cooking. Practice making this recipie untill you're confident you've got it down (one modification, cut the dough pieces bigger, you'll get larger and therefore more satifying rolls.) Serve these rolls to your players, and announce that they must give you cash to ever taste them again. That should work to get you the funding to make prettymuch anything you please. It'll take some time, and initial outlay, though. I personally managed to make some croisants on the first try, with next to no baking experience per say. When I shared a few batches with my DnD group, they've been begging me for more ever since. (I don't charge because my group is small enough it's not a huge burden, and I happen to have free time.)
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.