New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Dividing encounter resources

So here goes the idea:
    In D&D, each encounter has a budget for treasure. This is a guideline, true, but anyways.

How much of this treasure should be full-value (useful items, coins), half-value (art, jewelery, trash items) and how much should have no value (due to being consumed by the encountees)?
    Many thanks to Discord for the Avatar!

-_Q

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dividing encounter resources

I give logical treasure, and play up the "wealth by encounter" until about level 3. Creatures never carry coins or gems or consumables (potions, scrolls) unless necessary.

I prefer rewarding the group in cash paid by a sponsor. For example, "Do this mission and get X reward."

It also helps that I award levels at plot-appropriate times instead of using EXP.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Depends a lot on the encounter.

Most intelligent creatures will have items to fit their needs. And orc barbarian will have a magical club, a drow wizard rare spell components, and a halfling thief might only have some lucky stones.

Creatures that have no care or use for coins won't have any. Creatures that like art will have something art like.

It's rare for any folks to have piles of coins.

For unintelligent creatures, you just do it more random.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

For non-intelligent creatures, I usually skip treasure altogether and just add their value to more intelligent creatures I expect the PCs to face soon, or dispense with it altogether.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay