New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Community Based Monster Classes: Come in and help out!

There's no need to re-post anything here, I don't think.

I'll add in that prerequisite and address the issue Zemro brought up.

Still looking for suggestions for the 3rd level power!

I've added a Shoop-y power, tell me what you think
    Last edited by Niezck; 2010-12-07 at 01:42 PM.
    Dragonborn Gnome avatar by the ever-lovely Derjuin!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, if this division has to happen, I may as well work in both threads. Yeah, anything I've made is alright to use.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Niezck View Post
    There's no need to re-post anything here, I don't think.

I'll add in that prerequisite and address the issue Zemro brought up.

Still looking for suggestions for the 3rd level power!

I've added a Shoop-y power, tell me what you think
    Love it. One suggestion, I think you should change it to a line attack. With a range of 10 ft. per HD?

Also, I'm not sure I understand how the Phrenic Powers work now. I can choose ANY power? So, at 9 HD I could have 1/day Reality Revision?

Actually, I rather like the idea of being able to choose any power, but it needs to be more limited based on your HD. Perhaps powers of a maximum level of 1/2 your HD - 2?

Hey, also, I nominate the Bleakborn. It's cool and looks fun to me.
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-12-07 at 01:51 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

Many thanks to Qwernt for my amazing mind flayer avatar!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

*Epic facepalm*

I totally forgot to put in the level cap. Added that now.

I'm not so sure about line attacks, it makes them so much easier to defend against. Things tend to have relatively low touch AC unless they're really optimizing it, but a simple ring of evasion and a decent save shuts down a line attack entirely - nevermind things with Improved Evasion.

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Niezck View Post
    *Epic facepalm*

I totally forgot to put in the level cap. Added that now.

I'm not so sure about line attacks, it makes them so much easier to defend against. Things tend to have relatively low touch AC unless they're really optimizing it, but a simple ring of evasion and a decent save shuts down a line attack entirely - nevermind things with Improved Evasion.
    But Line is so much cooler... in my opinion. Ranged touch attack makes me think of a sickly little pencil thin line of light. Line attack makes me think of a huge beam of blue energy piercing a battlefield.

But, you know, your monster.

I like the class overall now-- can you choose the same PLA multiple times to get more uses?
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Swarmshifter

Libris Mortis p124

Class Abilities:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Requirements: Must be a corporeal undead of at least 3HD.

The Swarmshifer candidate must endure a three day process of being sealed in a coffin/sarcophagus, eaten by insects contained inside, and having them absorb your tainted essence, converting them into your own new body.

HD: d12
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Class Features
    1|+0|+0|+0|+0|Buzzing Flesh, Friend of the Plague, Swarm Form[/table]

Skills: 2+Int Mod, none.

Buzzing Flesh (Ex): You keep your previous typing, and you gain the Shapeshifter and Augumented types along with any other types you may have.

Friend of the Plague (Ex): From now on, you are immune to any Swarm’s distraction abilities, and do not take damage from standing in a swarm. Also, as long as the Swarm-Shifter does not attack the swarm(s), no Unintelligent (Int 2 or lower) swarm will make any attempt to attack the Swarm-Shifter. This ability does not affect swarms with more HD than you.

Swarm Form (Su): Once per day per 2HD, you may turn into a swarm of pestilent vermin as a Move Action. This ability functions like the alternate form special ability, except as noted here.

Firstly, you may only turn into any swarm that is on your list of Swarm Forms.
    Your Swarm Form ability lasts for 1 hour per HD, or until you change back. Changing form (to a swarm or back) is a standard action and doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity. Any gear worn or carried by yourself melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional.

When you revert to your true form, any objects previously melded into the swarm form reappear in the same location on your body that they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and land at your feet.

You lose your ability to speak while in Swarm Form because you are limited to the sounds that a normal untrained swarm can make (an annoying chatter), but you can communicate normally with other swarms. If your swarm form would be dispersed, you instantly reform to your normal form on the square you were dispersed from, and take 1d10 damage (no save).

At 2HD, your swarm form’s size is one space smaller than yours, regardless of the original swarm's size. At 5HD, your swarm form's size is equal to your own. At 10HD, it becomes one size bigger than your own. At 15HD it is two sizes bigger than your own, and at 20HD it is 3 sizes bigger than your own. Your Swarm Form's size may not be any bigger than Colossal. If you would try to turn into a creature bigger than Colossal, then you become a Colossal sized version of that creature instead. You may still turn into a smaller sized swarm when using this ability, if you so wish to.

When you take your 1st level in Swarmshifter, you may pick a number of Monsters with the Swarm subtype equal to your HD/4, with a max CR of your HD-1 each, and they are added to the list of swarms you can turn into with your Swarm Form ability. Your list of possible swarm forms is restricted to one swarm for every 4 HD you have. For every HD that is a multiple of 4 you gain (8, 12, 16, 20 ect...) you may pick another Swarm (with the same max CR of HD-1) to add to the list.

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh yeah. When you see people turn into swarms for kicks and giggles, they've taken this class. Even the living ones. They're all Gentle Repose'd Necropolitans. Honest. It offers a wide variety of swarm forms, for all occasions so you don't feel stuck to one high-op'd form in a small list. Enjoy!

Changelog:
    Spoiler
    Show
    7/12/10: Added the (awful) skill points, and lowered the BaB12/12/10 - Limited the swarms you can become, and specified how shifting works.
    16/12/10 - Basically, fixed some typos, made Friend of the Plague scale, and it's got less forms to pick from.
    19/12/10 - Fixed some wording typos.
    23/12/10 - Less forms now, and fixed the wording slightly
    13/01/11 - Limited forms (1/4HD), and edited the text for Grammar Goodness.
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2011-05-13 at 04:57 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magicyop View Post
    But Line is so much cooler... in my opinion. Ranged touch attack makes me think of a sickly little pencil thin line of light. Line attack makes me think of a huge beam of blue energy piercing a battlefield.

But, you know, your monster.

I like the class overall now-- can you choose the same PLA multiple times to get more uses?
    See, RTA to me is like a big ol' blast of lightning or something, whereas a line is something more akin to a controlled explosion down a hallway or something.

I guess it could were you to choose the same power twice. I hadn't really thought about that, but I see no reason not to.

8. - Top - End - #38

Swarmshifter: What did you think the problem is? That looks great! My only quibble is, why does it have full BaB? Other than that, I have no issues.

Phrenic Creature: Well, looks awesome now, at least to me. I think I'll probably regret nominating this monster so easily, but I don't have any problems with it. So, yeah, I'll nominate it.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Ah, might as well join this one. Like these concepts better.

Also, you forgot to include this class, which was actually approved by chumplump before the split:

Wereraptor

Spoiler
    Show
    Prerequisites:

Race: Any Medium or Large humanoid or giant.
    Special: Must have been injured by the natural attack of another wereraptor and contracted lycanthropy

HD: d8
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
    1st|+0|+0|+2|+0|Alternate form (Raptor), Raptor empathy, Lunar body, Raptor Traits, Graceful Leap
    2nd|+1|+0|+3|+0|Alternate form (hybrid), Lunar hide
    3rd|+2|+1|+3|+1|+1 Wis, Raptor teamwork, Growth
    4th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Curse of lycantropy, Swift blows[/table]

Skills: (4+Int modifier) Intimidate (Cha) Spot (Wis) Survival (Wis) Jump (Str) Listen (Wis) Hide (Dex) Handle Animal (Wis) Knowledge (Nature) (Int)

Proficiencies: A wereraptor gains proficiency with their own natural weapons.

Features:

Lunar body(ex): Wereraptors retain old racial modifiers and gain the shapechanger subtype. They gain low-light vision if they did not already possess it.
    A wereraptor gains natural armor equal to its con bonus while in raptor or hybrid form. While in humanoid form their natural armor is equal to half their con bonus

Raptor empathy: A wereraptor can communicate with raptors (and other raptor-like magical beasts) regardless of form and gains a +4 bonus on charisma based checks to influence such animals, however he gains no bonus on influencing magical beasts.

Alternate Form(su):At first level, a wereraptor can take on a medium raptor form by using a Full-Round Action that provokes an attack of opportunity. At 7 HD this changes to a Standard Action and at 14 HD this changes to a Move Action, at 20 HD this changes to a Swift Action. While in raptor form, a wereraptor cannot use weapons or do anything requiring the use of hands, but gains two talon attacks dealing 1d6+Str damage, moves at a speed of 60 ft and he gains a bite attack that does 1d8+Str damage.

A wereraptor can transform 1/day/HD, and can remain transformed indefinitely.

Unlike normal creatures with Alternate Forms the Wereraptor gains the hit points increase from any change to its Constitution.

For every level in wereraptor, or for every two in another class, the wereraptor's alternate form improves as shown below

{table=head]Wereraptor level +1/2 other levels|Ability Improvements
    1|+1 Dex
    2|+1 Dex +1 Str
    3|+2 Dex, +1 Str
    4|+2 Dex, +2 Str
    5|+3 Dex, +2 Str
    6|+3 Dex, +3 Str
    7|+4 Dex, +3 Str
    8|+4 Dex, +4 Str
    9|+5 Dex, +4 Str
    11|+5 Dex, +5 Str
    11|+6 Dex, +5 Str
    12|+6 Dex, +6 Str[/table]

At second level, a wereraptor can assume hybrid form. They can wield any weapons they could use in humanoid form and are able to speak. A wereraptor in alternate form gains a +4 bonus to jump checks.

Raptor Traits: A wereraptor in raptor form gains scent and gains a bonus on all hide skill checks equal to half his HD. This increases to a hide bounus equal to his full HD if the wereraptor makes a full-round action to hide. At second level his Raptor Traits ability works regardless of form.

Graceful Leap At first level, a Wereraptor in alternate form can easily jump over certain obsticals. He may charge over climbable objects 5 feet or smaller as long as the wereraptor spends the same amount of movement that he would use to climb it normally.

Lunar hide: At second level, a wereraptor gains DR/Silver equal to their HD/2 while in alternate form.

Growth: At 3rd level, a wereraptor's raptor form can become Large or Medium. In addition their natural armor improves by 1 while in alternate form.

A wereraptor of 12 HD or more may choose to become Huge by expending two normal transformations.

A wereraptor of 16 HD or more may choose to become Gargantuan by expending three normal transformations.

A wereraptor of 20 HD or more may choose to become Colossal by expending four normal transformations.

Raptor teamwork: Starting at third level a wereraptor learns how to more successfully work with others. He gains an extra +1 bonus to aid another rolls that he makes. This also applies to anyone attempting to use aid another on him. The wereraptor also gains a +3 bonus to attack rolls against an opponent he is flanking. This flanking bonus is also given to the other flankers flanking that opponent. These abilities are only useable in raptor form

Swift blows: At fourth level a wereraptor learns how to observe effectively and take advantage of weakness. He gains a +1 bonus to hit for every consecutive attack of the same type against the target. For example, if you delivered an attack in the previous round, you would gain a +1 attack bonus this round. if you struck the foe with an attack in the round after, it would go to +2 If you connected in the subsequent round, it would be +3, and so on. This caps at 1.5 times the HD of the wereraptor (ie. +6 max at 4HD). This ability is only useable in Hybrid form.

Curse of lycanthropy: At 4th level a wereraptor can transmit lycanthropy to other creatures. If a medium or large humanoid or giant is hit by their natural attacks while they are in alternate form, the creature must make a fortitude save (DC10+1/2HD+Con modifier) or contract lycanthropy. For more information on lycanthropy, check the lycanthrope entry in the monster manual.

Changelog:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Edited last skill to have two pathways.
    Small grammar edits.
    Made raptor form have abilities hybrid does not.
    Added 6 more levels.
    Balanced stomach damage and spells per day/maw of the titans by HD.
    made con a more important stat.
    Took ChumpLump's advice and balanced stats, saves, HD, and size.
    Took more advice and edited last two skills, removed improved grab, and made a 6/6 perfection on stats.
    made sneak attack need a jump, took out capstone and added a new one, and fixed size adjustments accordingly.
    Edited size, claw damage, and sneak pounce skill to just flanked opponents.
    Re-did last 2 skills.
    Re did them again.
    Buffed up animal form & changed last ability.
    Made fixes according to ChumpLump's advice (too lazy to write down all now :P)

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Big. Freakin'. Dino. The simplicity of this class is amusing because it's very narrow, just Charge, Pounce, and tear at a nervous system.

IDK, haven't read the new rules all the way, will do so now.
    Last edited by Betropper; 2010-12-16 at 02:37 PM.
    Celestia Moon avatar by Dirtytabs. He is now the most awesome thing.

THIS
    Wins
    My website: Free Raptor Games
    Note: mostly abandoned due to lack of time.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Weretrex avatar by Bradakhan

Bec Noir avatar by Derjuin, thanks! Yes, that sword in his chest is a part of him.

10. - Top - End - #40

Right, lower the BaB........*sprays his drink* It's ok? Really? I thought saying "Here, pick whatever CR appropriate swarm you like, and go crazy" would get me funny looks.
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2010-12-07 at 02:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Formatting Your Monster

Spoiler
    Show
    [Monster Name]
    Spoiler
    Show

[Monster Name] A [Prestige/Base] Character Class.

[Monster]* Prerequisites (If Applicable)
    To become a [Monster], the character must meet the following requirements

Race: Whatever Race may be required.
    Other: Whatever that may be.
    Special: Whatever that may be.

Hit Dice: dx

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Class Features

1st|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Class Ability

2nd|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Class Ability

3rd|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Class Ability

4th|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Class Ability

5th|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Class Ability

6th|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Class Ability

7th|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Class Ability

8th|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Class Ability

9th|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Class Ability

10th|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Class Ability

11th|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Class Ability

12th|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Class Ability

13th|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Class Ability

14th|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Class Ability

15th|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Class Ability

16th|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Class Ability

17th|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Class Ability

18th|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Class Ability

19th|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Class Ability

20th|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Class Ability[/table]
    Skills Points at 1rst Level: (x+Intelligence Modifier) x 4
    Skills Points at Each Level: (x+Intelligence Modifier)
    Class Skills: The [Monster]’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are… [Fill in your Monster’s Class skills alphabetically and with the Key Ability Abreviated in parenthesis here.

The [Monster]’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Iaijutsu Focus (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Each listed individually), Knowledge (All skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Martial Lore (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Psicraft (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (n/a), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Truespeak (Int), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), Use Psionic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

Proficiencies: The [Monster] gains proficiency with the following weapons, armor, and shields. (If your [Monster] gains a natural weapon, it is a good idea to mention that it becomes proficient with it.)

[Monster] Class Features: The following are the Class Features of the [Monster].

Class Feature: Starting at Xth level the [Monster] gains the ability to…

Class Feature: Upon reaching Xth level the [Monster] gains the access to…

Class Feature: At Xth level the [Monster] learns to…

Class Feature: Beginning at Xth level the [Monster] can use …

Comments/Changelog:
    Spoiler
    Show

Comments
    [Source] of Monster (I.E. MMI, MMIII, or Homebrew with link!
    Your initial thoughts and concerns with you monster class.

Changelog
    You will do yourself more favors than harm if you list in detail your changes.

Good Example:
    12/5/2010 Added Full Base attack Bonus, Removed Obscene Ability Class feature for Much More Reasonable Attack Class Feature.
    12/6/1786 Fixed the Flux Capacitor attack so that it only targets one creature.
    12/7/2010 Removed Craft (Silly Examples) from Class Skills.
    Example that makes your fellow Monster Crafter’s job more difficult:
    Took Robrexor’s Advice. Fixed Monster.

Copy & Paste Format:

PHP Code:
    [color=blue][size=5][b][Monster Name][/b][/size] [/color]
    [
    IMG]IMG URL HERE[/IMG] [Spoiler]
    [
    b][color=blue][Monster][/color]* Prerequisites[/b] (If Applicable)
    To become a [color=blue][Monster][/color], the character must meet the following requirements

[b]Prerequisite:[/bWhatever that may be.
    [
    b]Prerequisite:[/bWhatever that may be.
    [
    b]Prerequisite:[/bWhatever that may be.

[
    b]Hit Dice:[/bdx

{table=head][b]Level[/b]|[b]Base Attack Bonus[/b]|[b]Fort Save[/b]|[b]Ref Save[/b]|[b]Will Save[/b]|[b]Class Features[/b]

1st|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Class Ability

2nd
    |[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Class Ability

3rd
    |[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Class Ability

4th

5th

6th

7th

8th

9th

10th

11th

12th

13th

14th

15th

16th

17th

18th

19th

20th
    |[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Class Ability[/table]
    [
    b]Skills Points at 1rst Level:[/b] (x+Intelligence Modifierx 4
    [b]Skills Points at Each Level:[/b] (x+Intelligence Modifier)
    [
    b]Class Skills:[/bThe [color=blue][Monster][/color]’s class skills (and the key ability for each skillare Appraise (Int), Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Iaijutsu Focus (Cha),  Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Each listed individually), Knowledge (All skillstaken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Martial Lore (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Psicraft (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (n/a),  Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Truespeak (Int), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), Use Psionic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

[
    b]Proficiencies[/b]: The [color=blue][Monster][/colorgains proficiency with the following weaponsarmor, and shields. (If your [color=blue][Monster][/colorgains a natural weaponit is a good idea to mention that it becomes proficient with it.)

[
    b][color=blue][Monster][/color] Class Features:[/bThe following are the Class Features of the [color=blue][Monster][/color].

[
    i]Class Feature:[/iStarting at Xth level the [color=blue][Monster][/colorgains the ability to…

[i]Class Feature:[/iUpon reaching Xth level the [color=blue][Monster][/colorgains the access to…

[i]Class Feature:[/iAt Xth level the [color=blue][Monster][/colorlearns to…

[i]Class Feature:[/iBeginning at Xth level the [color=blue][Monster][/colorcan use 

Comments
    /Changelog:
    [
    spoiler]
    [
    b]Comments[/b]
    [
    color=green][Source][/color

[
    b]Changelog[/b]
    [/
    spoiler]
    [/
    spoiler
    Tables and Tools
    Spoiler
    Show

Save Progressions
    {table=head]Good|Average*|Bad
    2|0|0
    3|0|0
    3|1|1
    4|1|1
    4|2|1
    5|2|2
    5|3|2
    6|3|2
    6|4|3
    7|4|3
    7|5|3
    8|5|4
    8|6|4
    9|6|4
    9|7|5
    10|7|5
    10|8|5
    11|8|6
    11|9|6
    12|9|6[/table]
    *Average Saves are Wonky, and recommended against more often than not.

Base Attack Bonus
    {table=head]Good|Average|Bad
    1|0|0
    2|1|1
    3|2|1
    4|3|2
    5|3|2
    6|4|3
    7|5|3
    8|6|4
    9|6|4
    10|7|5
    11|8|5
    12|9|6
    13|9|6
    14|10|7
    15|11|7
    16|12|8
    17|12|8
    18|13|9
    19|14|9
    20|15|10[/table]

Spellcasting
    A [Monster] that is designed to multiclass into a Caster/Manifester/Ect class can count its [Monster] levels as levels of that class for purposes of Caster Level, of Caster Level, Spells Known, and Ability to cast spells per day as if it had gained a level in That Particular Class. Usually a Monster Class Gains the Spellcasting of the Specified Spell caster equal to its HD-1.

Example’s Secret Begging at second level an [Example] may learn and cast spells as a Sorcerer of class level equal to the [Monster]’s Class Level-1. Its caster level is equal to the [Monster]’s Class level.
    Virtual Spellcasting:
    Similar to Spellcasting, Virtual spell-casting allows a [Monster]to skip levels of a particular spell casting class. When muliticlassing as the specified class the [Monster] may add its [Monster]’s Class Level to it’s Spellcaster Class level to determine its new Spells Known, Spells Per Day, and Caster level, however it does not gain the benefits of the class levels skipped.

Virtual Exemplar Begging at first level, if a [Example] multiclasses as a Sorcerer, it may add its [Example] level to its Sorcerer level to determine its spells known, spells per day, and caster level. (If L.2 [Example] took a level of Sorcerer, it would gain the new spells per day, and spells known of a 3rd level Sorcerer, but it would not gain the spells per day or known that a L.1 or L.2 Sorcerer gains. However it would be considered a L.3 Caster.)
    Should it be a Prestige or a Base Class?
    If is a template, it should be a prestige class, otherwise it should be a Base Class.

Come with me, time out of mind...

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by ChumpLump View Post
    Formatting Your Monster
    God, sometimes you're so awesome I can't speak.

I have two things that I think you might change: First, as I said before, it would be nice to have a field by the name, or somewhere, that says where the monster is from, and links to the original monster, if it is homebrew.

Secondly, I think you should note that sometimes non templates can be PrCs, such as in the case of those which expand upon a base monster. Like, War Troll done as a PrC for Troll. Ulitharid done as a PrC for Mind Flayer.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

I made some comments on the Bleakborn in the previous thread, so if those have been addressed I'm willing to give it my nomination.

Phrenic Creature looks much better, though with the present wording it seems to me like it gets PSA for it's current HD and not future ones. Since I know this isn't the intent, maybe clarify that a bit?

I'm going to crunch some more numbers, hopefully before my next class, and depending on how those go and the above, I may then be willing to nominate.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeckoKing View Post
    @Zemro
    You do whatever you feel like doing. Dunno about the others, but I don't mind where the class is, personally.
    Cool, if you've got no issues with it, perhaps I could entreat your nomination then?

On the template, I gotta ask, why the blue?
    Homebrew Monster Classes:
    Arcadian Avenger|Thorn|Marrash|Justice Archon

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

I know this might sound like I'm out-of-date, but what exactly was the argument? The only reason I'm with you guys right now is because I like your method of critiquing more.
    Celestia Moon avatar by Dirtytabs. He is now the most awesome thing.

THIS
    Wins
    My website: Free Raptor Games
    Note: mostly abandoned due to lack of time.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Weretrex avatar by Bradakhan

Bec Noir avatar by Derjuin, thanks! Yes, that sword in his chest is a part of him.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Betropper View Post
    I know this might sound like I'm out-of-date, but what exactly was the argument? The only reason I'm with you guys right now is because I like your method of critiquing more.
    I think we'd all prefer not to discuss this too deeply, and leave the whole affair behind. But on a basic level, the previous leader had been rigidly disrespectful and insulting of both people's classes, and the people themselves. Let's leave it at that.

Wereraptor is added to the list, sorry for the mistake.

Living Spell is updated. What do you all think?
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-12-07 at 02:34 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

16. - Top - End - #46
    Banned

NinjaGirl

Hi guys! Long forum lurker here, but after seeing this thread I finally decided to join so I could contribute to this awesome project I've been following for some time, since the new rules seem quite newbie-friendly! Plase be gentle, this is my first homebrew.

Wendigo (prc)

Spoiler
    Show

REQUIREMENTS:
    To qualify to become a Wendigo, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Race: animal, giant, humanoid, magical beast, or monstruous humanoid.
    Special:Must have his Wisdom reduced to 0 by Wendigo's hunger, OR perform a special ritual that demands they spend three days walking trough a forest or tundra whitout stoping for resting, eating or drinking.

HD: d6
    {table]Level|Bab|Fort|Ref|Will|Feature
    1|+ 0|+0|+0 | + 2|Stumped Body, Maddenning Whispers, Stalking Paranoia, Primal Insticts
    2|+ 1|+0|+0 | + 3| Wind Walk, Regeneration, Wendigo Hunger, Ravenous Bite, +1 Dex.
    [/table]

Skills: 2+Intelligence modifier per level, class skills are Balance, Bluff, Hide, Intimidate, Listen , Knowledge (nature) Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival.

Proficiencies: The Wendigo becomes proficient with his bite attack.

Stumped body: Unlike other monster classes, the Wendigo doesn't lose his racial ability modifiers, but his type changes to Fey and it gains the cold subtype (immunity to cold, +50% damage from fire effects). Do not re-calculate anything. The Wendigo gains a bite attack dealing 1d6 plus 1-1/2 times his Strength bonus if it's a medium sized creature, adjust damage acordingly for other creature sizes.

Also, when gaining this template, the creature starts running with such speed that it's feets/paws burn away into charred bloody stumps that cannot be healed, but the Wendigo becomes able to float just above ground at a speed of 10 feet per HD. If the Wendigo has 6 HD or more, he can instead fly with perfect maneuverability with that speed.

Finally, the Wendigo gains a +1 deflection bonus to AC, that stacks with one other deflection bonus from a single source of the player's choice, like a ring of deflection.

Maddenning Whispers:1/day per HD, as a standard action, the Wendigo may whisper insane thoughts into a target creature whitin 10 feet per HD. Only the target creature can hear them, and they must make a Will save (DC 10+1/2 HD+Cha modifier) or take 1d3 wisdom damage. This wisdom damage increases one die size for every 4 HD of the Wendigo.

At 8 HD it becomes Wisdom Drain.

At 12 HD it deals half Wisdom Drain even if the victim suceeds on the save.

At 16 HD it can affect creatures immune to ability drain, but it deals half drain on a failed save and no drain on a sucessfull save.

This is neither a fear or mind-affecting ability, but raw natural chaos (aka untyped).

Stalking Paranoia:Just because others can't see it doesn't mean he isn't there. As a swift action the Wendigo may select a creature on his field of vision that hasn't detected the Wendigo. That creature takes -2 on Wisdom-based skill checks and Will saves as the Wendigo lurks just at the corner of the victim's field of vision, making them paranoid. This penalty lasts untill the target detects the Wendigo or the Wendigo loses sight of the target. Only one target at a time.

For every 5 HD the wendigo has, this penalty increases by an extra -1.

Primal Insticts:The Wendigo hunting senses are sharpened to the extreme. He gains a bonus on Hide, Move Silently and Survival checks equal to half his HD.

Sky Walk:At 2nd level, the Wendigo can use Wind Walk as a SLA on himself 1/day for every HD it has as a move action. It can still use his Maddenning Whispers ability while incorporeal. It can only float above ground unless it has 4 or more HD.

Regeneration: At 2nd level the Wendigo gains regeneration equal to half his HD, bypassed by fire. It cannot regrow or re-attach lost limbs however.

Wendigo Hunger:At 2nd level, creatures biten by the Wendigo must now make a Fortitude (DC 10+1/2 HD+Con modifier) save or contract a supernatural diseases, Wendigo's hunger.

Spoiler
    Show

It incubates for 1d3 days and deals 1d3 Wisdom damage for each day it lingers. Every time Wisdom damage is taken from this, the afflicted creature must make a Will save with DC 10+1/2HD+Cha modifier or start to hunger for his own race's flesh. The creature will use any means at it's disposal to stalk and kill a member of his own race in secret, feed on it's flesh, and then return to his normal life while forgeting everything since he failed the Will save.

Creatures reduced to 0 Wis by this disease gain the Wendigo template, but they also become mad and race to the wilderness to stalk their own victims.

In adition, when a living or undead creature is bitten by the Wendigo in battle, it must make a will save with DC 10+1/2HD+Cha mod or spend it's next turn trying to bite the nearest creature it can see, be it friend or foe. If the creature doesn't have a bite attack it will try to grapple the neatest creature instead.

Ravenous Bite:At 2nd level the Wendigo's bite now threatens a critical on a 18-20 and deals triple damage on a sucessfull critical.

Ability Score Increase: The Wendigo gains +1 Dex at second level.

Comments/Changelog:

Spoiler
    Show

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show

The Wendigo is the dark side of natural hunger, a creature that stalks his own and forever roams searching his next victim, driving them to the brink of desesperation before delivering the final blow.

First level gives the iconic maddening whispers and stumped body plus skill bonus. Second level gives the wind walk, disease and regeneration.

I improved the disease to make it combat-worthy by forcing biten oponents to resist or be overcome by hunger themselves. Particulary good against caster-types, not that good against big monsters with big bite attacks.

Since it has a lot of abilities low saves, Bab and limited skill points and no new proefeciencies besides the bite.

You can only actualy start flying at 6th level for balance purposes, but Wind-Walk flight comes online at 4th level since it's much more limited.

Changelog
    Spoiler
    Show

7/12/2010:
    -Corrected several grammar errors.
    -Made Maddening whispers 4/day per HD.

This was requested by un_known

Last edited by DarkEnar; 2010-12-07 at 07:30 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by DarkEnar View Post
    Hi guys! Long forum lurker here, but after seeing this thread I finally decided to join so I could contribute to this awesome project I've been following for some time, since the new rules seem quite newbie-friendly! Plase be gentle, this is my first homebrew.
    Welcome, welcome! Yes, ideally, they are newbie-friendly. A quick glance shows me that for your first monster class, this is actually really, really well done. Looks very fun. In general, I love the flavor, and the class features seem to balance fun and bonuses well. Below I have quoted the class, and added my comments in red.
    Wendingo (prc) Wendigo, not Wendingo. Although a Wendigo Dingo would be really awesome.

Spoiler
    Show

REQUIREMENTS:
    To qualify to become a Wendigo, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Race: animal, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstruous humanoid. Right now this reads as you have to be all of these types simultaneously. Adding an "or" would be nice.
    Special:Must have his Wisdom reduced to 0 by Wendigo's hunger, OR perform a special ritual that demands they spend three days walking trough a forest or tundra whitout stoping for resting, eating or drinking.

HD: d6
    {table]Level|Bab|Fort|Ref|Will|Feature
    1|+ 0|+0|+0 | + 2|Stumped Body, Maddenning Whispers, Stalking Paranoia, Primal Insticts
    2|+ 1|+0|+0 | + 3| Wind Walk, Regeneration, Wendingo Hunger, Ravenous Bite, +1 Dex.
    [/table]

Skills: 2+Intelligence modifier per level, class skills are Balance, Bluff, Hide, Intimidate, Listen , Knowledge (nature) Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Wilderness Lore.

Proficiencies: The Wendingo becomes proficiencient with his bite attack. Proficient, I think you accidentally added an extra cient. Also, you typed Wendingo again.

Stumped body: Unlike other monster classes, the Wendingo doesn't lose his racial ability modifiers, but his type changes to Fey and it gains the cold subtype (immunity to cold, +50% damage from fire effects). Do not re-calculate anything. The Wendingo gains a bite attack dealing 1d6 plus 1-1/2 times his Strength bonus if it's a medium sized creature, adjust damage acordingly for other creature sizes. Well done, looks like a good body feature to me.

Also, when gaining this template, the creature starts running with such speed that it's feets/paws burn away into charred bloody stumps that cannot be healed, but the Wendingo becomes able to float just above ground at a speed of 10 feet per HD. If the Wendigo has 6 HD or more, he can instead fly with perfect maneuverability with that speed. Nicely done!

Finally, the Wendingo gains a deflection bonus to AC equal to his Cha modifier.

Maddenning Whispers:As a standard action, the Wendigo may whisper insane toughts into a target creature whitin 10 feet per HD. Only the target creature can hear them, and they must make a Will save (DC 10+1/2 HD+Cha modifier) or take 1d3 wisdom damage. This wisdom damage increases one die size for every 4 HD of the Wendigo. thoughts, not toughts. Otherwise, looks like a great ability to me. My only issue is, should it really be at will? I think you should make it have a number of uses per day.

At 8 HD it becomes Wisdom Drain.

At 12 HD it deals half Wisdom Drain even if the victim suceeds on the save.

At 16 HD it can affect creatures immune to ability drain, but it deals half drain on a failed save and no drain on a sucessfull save.

This is neither a fear or mind-affecting ability, but raw natural chaos.

Stalking Paranoia:Just because others can't see it doesn't mean he isn't there. As a swift action the Wendingo may select a creature on his field of vision that hasn't detected the Wendigo. That creature takes -2 on Wisdom-based skill checks and Will saves as the Wendigo lurks just at the corner of the victim's field of vision, making them paranoid.

For every 5 HD the wendigo has, this penalty increases by an extra -1. Wow, that's really cool. Quite fun.

Primal Insticts:The Wendigo hunting senses are sharpened to the extreme. He gains a bonus on Hide, Move Silently and Wilderness Lore checks equal to half his HD. Just a bonus, but it's a good bonus. I like it.

Sky Walk:At 2nd level, the Wendigo can use Wind Walk as a SLA on himself 1/day for every HD it has as a move action. It can still use his Maddenning Whispers ability while incorporeal. It can only float above ground unless it has 4 or more HD.

Regeneration: At 2nd level the Wendigo gains regeneration equal to half his HD, bypassed by fire. A little on the powerful side, but good.

Wendingo Hunger:At 2nd level, creatures biten by the Wendigo must now make a Fortitude (DC 10+1/2 HD+Con modifier) save or contract a supernatural diseases, Wendigo's hunger. No more wendingos! Otherwise, good.

Spoiler
    Show

It incubates for 1d3 days and deals 1d3 Wisdom damage for each day it lingers. Every time Wisdom damage is taken from this, the afflicted creature must make a Will save with DC 10+1/2HD+Cha modifier or start to hunger for his own race's flesh. The creature will use any means at it's disposal to stalk and kill a member of his own race in secret, feed on it's flesh, and then return to his normal life while forgeting everything since he failed the Will save.

Creatures reduced to 0 Wis by this disease gain the Wendigo template, but they also become mad and race to the wilderness to stalk their own victims.

In adition, when a living or undead creature is biten by the Wendigo in battle, it must make a will save with DC 10+1/2HD+Cha mod or spend it's next turn trying to bite the nearest creature it can see, be it friend or foe. If the creature doesn't have a bite attack it will try to grapple the neatest creature instead.

Ravenous Bite:At 2nd level the Wendigo's bite now threatens a critical on a 18-20 and deals triple damage on a sucessfull critical. Just remember that it's bitten, not biten, and successful, not sucessfull. Otherwise, some good class features, seems balanced to me.

Ability Score Increase: The Wendingo gains +1 Dex at second level.

Comments/Changelog:

Spoiler
    Show

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show

The Wendingo is the dark side of natural hunger, a creature that stalks his own and forever roams searching his next victim, driving them to the brink of desesperation before delivering the final blow.

First level gives the iconic maddening whispers and stumped body plus skill bonus. Second level gives the wind walk, disease and regeneration.

I improved the disease to make it combat-worthy by forcing biten oponents to resist or be overcome by hunger themselves. Particulary good against caster-types, not that good against big monsters with big bite attacks.

Since it has a lot of abilities low saves, Bab and limited skill points and no new proefeciencies besides the bite.

You can only actualy start flying at 6th level for balance purposes, but Wind-Walk flight comes online at 4th level since it's much more limited.

Changelog
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing yet

This was requested by un_known

Overall, looks like a great template. I applaud you for doing so well on your first monster class.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

18. - Top - End - #48
    Banned

NinjaGirl

Overall, looks like a great template. I applaud you for doing so well on your first monster class.
    Thanks! Yay!

Also changed the maddenning whispers to be 4/day per HD. I didn't intend it to be at will, but completely forgot to put a limit.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

You can of course put in my grell if you want, but it is unfinished and needs a couple more goings-over, as well as formatting and a pretty picture. Perhaps I should just repost it.

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by DarkEnar View Post
    Thanks! Yay!

Also changed the maddenning whispers to be 4/day per HD. I didn't intend it to be at will, but completely forgot to put a limit.
    4/day per HD is a lot. Maybe 1/day per 2 HD? If you have a good reason why you'd like it to be more often, please tell me!

Grell added to unfinished list. I'll look over the rest of the monsters on that list soon.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

21. - Top - End - #51

I do like that Wendigo. It's Stalking Paranoia reminds me of something I did ages ago, and the fact it can chatter into people's heads to drive them mad is wicked. Even if they succeed on the save.....did they really hear thoes noises? Did they? Did they not? I do like it.

Now, is the Swarmshifter OK? Because I really want to repost the Awakened T-Rex for it to be finished up, then the Umber Hulk, and then.....Pandoryrm.............

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeckoKing View Post
    I do like that Wendigo. It's Stalking Paranoia reminds me of something I did ages ago, and the fact it can chatter into people's heads to drive them mad is wicked. Even if they succeed on the save.....did they really hear thoes noises? Did they? Did they not? I do like it.

Now, is the Swarmshifter OK? Because I really want to repost the Awakened T-Rex for it to be finished up, then the Umber Hulk, and then.....Pandoryrm.............
    If you like it, make sure to nominate!

Everyone make sure, if you're homebrewing for this project, that you check down the list of unfinished monsters from time to time, and either nominate or make suggestions. If you have no suggestions to improve a monster, you should likely nominate it.

Yeah, I like the swarmshifter. Seems okay to me. I'll nominate it.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

23. - Top - End - #53
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hmm...I'm considering having a go at the Demilich.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    Hmm...I'm considering having a go at the Demilich.
    Please do. Would be awesome.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

4/day per HD is a lot. Maybe 1/day per 2 HD? If you have a good reason why you'd like it to be more often, please tell me!

Grell added to unfinished list. I'll look over the rest of the monsters on that list soon.
    I'd probably emulate the ghoul's paralysis, and consider making it 2xHDxCharisma bonus times per day, myself. But perhaps I'm overly fond of the ghoul's paralysis.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Banned

NinjaGirl

Put it at 1/day per HD. I would like it to be at least like this because I feel like it's the Wendigo's signature attack, but 1d3/1d4 wisdom damage isn't very usefull if you can only inflict it once in a battle, in particular because it allows a save. Two uses at 2nd level may take down an animal oponent. Four uses at 4th level may take down an humanoid oponent.

Also the swarmshifter looks ready to go, I'll nominate it! One single level adds a ton of variety to pretty much any character and allows for a lot of cool character concepts!

EDIT: There's a Maug at the Death Knight link. It isn't on the finished monsters but was done by Monkman. Shouldn't it also be up to revisions?
    Last edited by DarkEnar; 2010-12-07 at 04:14 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Okay... I promise I'm not blitz nominating.

But I'll nominate both the Thorn and the Wendigo. Both are really well made. I promise, I looked over them both really well and I can't really think of obvious ways they could be improved. And, after all, if we take an ultra long time to get each monster on the list, we'll never get anywhere.

On an unrelated note... I have edited both the Living Spell and the Animated Object. If you all could look them over and either give me suggestions, or nominate them, I'd be eternally grateful. Thank you all!

EDIT: DarkEnar, both the Maug and Death Knight link lead to the same post, which includes both monsters. Both are in the unfinished list.
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-12-07 at 04:16 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

28. - Top - End - #58

Right, I've had a quick look over both classes, but you've got one big class and a medium class, so I can't nominate them.....yet.

However, in my novice opinion, the Living Spell looks O.K, so I'll have a better look over it later. The Animated Object also looks O.K, but again, big class and lots of customizability so I think i'd have to devote more time to look over it. But overall, keep it up!

Also, yeah. I nominate the Wendigo. Cool class, indeed.
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2010-12-07 at 04:41 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Banned

NinjaGirl

On an unrelated note... I have edited both the Living Spell and the Animated Object. If you all could look them over and either give me suggestions, or nominate them, I'd be eternally grateful. Thank you all!
    I kinda think that they're too big on a bad sense. They offer too much options. It's hard to read trough all of them in one swoop, so it's hard to have a proper view of the class as a whole.

I also think you went a little overboard on the animated object, making it more of an animated "minor artifact". Stuff like geting any single spell at will (even if it's low level) or creating infinite items seems to be just screaming for abuse.

This is, lv1 scrolls and potions are both quite cheap yet powerfull if you have an almost infinite stock of them. And what would exactly happen when you have multiple barrels of alchemist's fire? Not to mention simply selling all that minor stuff to buy bigger stuff.

Combine it with Distributed Consciousness and you kinda have an artificer on steroids. The class seems to be screaming to take some "time out", cough out some lv1 thousands of scrolls and potions and abuse minor buffs.

Besides, when I think animated object, I think Big Thing to smash stuff or little spy trinket or agile assassin rope. The "minor artifact" abilities are geting on the way of that. You should probably divide the class in two, one for those who want combat animated objects and other for those who want to be minor artifacts with a sentience.

You should probably do that for the living spell as well. All those options in the same place kinda get on the way of each other, and my brain just can't stop itself from pondering all the possible combinations and I start geting confused.
    Last edited by DarkEnar; 2010-12-07 at 04:44 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

Or..........make an Animated Artifact Prc. Because that would be cool.
    The Living Spell LOOKS complicated, but it should make sence if Magicyop explains it. Hopefully.
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2010-12-07 at 04:44 PM.