Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Community Based Monster Classes: Come in and help out!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeckoKing View Post
    It's not really a massive flaw, no, but i'd like to think my class wasn't gimped by something with wings. And the Improvised Weapon stuff was to cover the "No, it's actually quite clever" thing the fluff says now and again, but that's ANOTHER thing people are moaning about. Anyway, i've removed Wreck the Earth's secondary effect and Grab and Smash, and given it Born Digger and modified Object=PAIN! so it can throw trees as well at swing them at people. Something new for people to moan about, I guess
    Sorry.

And it's not gimped by something with wings. Its gimped by something with wings, immunity to your Confusion gaze and room to maneuver. The first two rarely find company and any time they do your cunning may well halt the third. Your list of things not vulnerable to you is less than most melee brutes, and is a smaller list than the Rogue's (which is often considered a fairly well balanced class).

I hope you find a solution eventually.

Edit: Wasn't Grab and Smash the immediate bite in a grapple? I liked that, and Gorgon was encouraging use of the pincers. Great, your prediction came true.
    Last edited by ScionoftheVoid; 2010-12-27 at 04:22 PM.

2. - Top - End - #692

So I finally get a complement and it's about something I've removed? I'll see if I can fit it back in

3. - Top - End - #693

Cleaned up one of my favorite classes, Oslecamo's Gray Jester.

Gray Jester

Spoiler
    Show

HD:d6
    {table=head]Level|Bab|Fort|Ref|Will|Feature
    1|+0|+0|+2|+2|Gray Jester body, Hideous Laughter, Dark Humor, +1 Dex
    2|+1|+0|+3|+3| Jester Scepter, Last Laugh, +1 Cha, +1 Dex
    3|+1|+1|+3|+3| Devour Joy, +1 Dex, +1 Cha
    4|+2|+1|+4|+4|Joy slaves, +1 Dex, +1 Cha
    [/table]

Skill points:6+int

Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Diplomacy(Cha), Hide (Dex), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Cha), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), Use rope (Dex)
    Proficiencies: Simple weapons, Jester Scepter

Class Features:

Gray Jester body:
    At first level, the Gray Jester loses all other racial traits and bonuses and gains the Fey type, along with the following traits:
    • Low-light vision
    • Medium Size
    • Base Speed 30', + 10' for every 3 Hit Dice of the Jester, to a maximum of 50' at level 6.
    • Deflection bonus to AC equal to half its Charisma modifier

Hideous Laughter (Su): Starting at first level, if the Gray Jester hits an opponent with a melee weapon or succeeds on a touch attack, it may cause the opponent to laugh uncontrollably. This ability duplicates the Hideous Laughter spell, and may be used a number of times per day equal to the Gray Jester's Hit Dice times its Charisma modifier. The save is equal to 10+1/2HD+Charisma modifier. Spell resistance applies, use the Gray Jester's Hit Dice for Caster Level to determine duration and bypassing Spell Resistance.
    Creatures without an int score are immune to this ability.

Dark Humor (Ex):Beginning at first level, the Gray Jester is a true artist of humor. Creatures with Hit Dice less than or equal to the Gray Jester or less don't receive any special bonus to resist the Gray Jester's Hideous Laughter ability for having low intelligence or being of a different type than the Gray Jester.

Jester Scepter:
    All Gray Jesters have a scepter, gained at second level, which are made to look like a mockery of a king's scepter, though they can vary in appearance. Usually they are a rod with a doll's head. The staff gains abilities as the Gray Jester's power increases.
    Spoiler
    Show

At 2 HD:
    The scepter is a one-handed, masterwork weapon that deals 1d6 damage bludgeoning, x2 critical. It works with weapon finesse, but only for a Jester. It can be enhanced as normal, ignoring the innate magical effects as far as stacking with any added magical effects.
    If the scepter is ever lost or destroyed, the Gray Jester may spend 24 hours and 50 * HD gp to replace it.

At 4 HD:
    Retracting expanded extension: The Jester's staff can extend and change shape. As a swift action, it can change its form and gain one of the following traits. Only one trait can be changed at a time, but multiple traits can be selected.
    • Change its reach to 5' or 10'. (Rod grows or shrinks in length)
    • Provide 15% concealment, but cannot be attacked with. (Rod increases width to act as cover)
    • Deal piercing, bludgeoning, or slashing damage (Head grows spikes, blades, or is normal)

At 6 HD:
    The scepter may act as an immovable rod. No amount of force will move the scepter once it is activated and only the Jester may deactivate it. It takes a move action to activate or deactivate.

At 9 HD:
    The scepter can be called to the Jester's hand as a swift action, so long as it is on the same plane.

At 11 HD:
    The scepter now gains a facsimile of sapience. It gains an intelligence score of 10 plus the jester's base intelligence modifier, and is able to speak and understand all the languages its Jester is fluent in. Its vision is 40', low-light. When the scepter is in the Jester's possession, he gains the benefits of the Alertness feat, and a +2 bonus on charisma-based skill checks. Jesters often carry on prolonged conversations with their scepters, to the confusion or annoyance of others.

At 13 HD:
    The scepter may now fly under its own power, with average maneuverability and a speed equal to the Jester's base land speed. It may carry the Jester with it, so long as the Jester has a hand holding it, and is not carrying a heavy load.

At 15 HD:
    The scepter gains the dancing enhancment; the jester may still channel hideous laughter through the scepter, even if it's not in his hand. In addition, so long as the Jester is holding his scepter, he may directly control up to two Bleak Ones at a time.

At 19 HD:
    As a full-round action, the Jester may hold his scepter in the air, while it erupts in maniacal laughter. Every creature that hears this laughter (Range is 20'/5 HD) must make a will save or be affected by the Jester's hideous laughter ability. This ability may be used HD/5 times per day.

Last Laugh (Su): Starting at second level, the Gray Jester gains damage reduction/cold iron equal to half its hit dice, and spell resistance equal to 11 plus its hit dice.

Devour joy (Su): Beginning at third level, as a standard action a Gray Jester can absorb the joy out of any laughing creature within 30 feet. The maximum number of creatures affected with each use of this ability is equal to the Gray Jester's Charisma modifier. All laughing creatures can be affected, including those under a hideous laughter effect.

The affected creature(s) must make a will save (10+1/2HD+Charisma modifier) or take 1d4 points of Charisma drain and if they are under a hideous laughter effect, get a new save to stop laughing. Creatures reduced to 0 Charisma by this ability become unable to feel joy or laugh anymore, and simply sit on the ground staring at nothing, with blank, uncaring eyes.

The Charisma damage increases by an extra 1d4 and the range increases by an extra 30 feet for every 5 Hit Dice of the Gray Jester. The Gray Jester heals a number of hit points equal to twice the amount of charisma drained, and gains a bonus to his own charisma score equal to the highest charisma drained from a single creature for 24 hours.

Creatures normally immune to ability drain still take half damage from this ability. Creatures with no charisma score are unaffected.

Joy Slaves (Su): Starting at fourth level, creatures drained to 0 Charisma by the Devour Joy ability that have Hit Dice less than or equal to the Gray Jester become the Jester's playthings, called Bleak Ones, obeying all his commands. They immediately gain the Bleak Ones template, described below.

The Gray Jester can control a number of Bleak Ones equal to 1/4 his HD at any time. A Jester may take complete control of a single one of his Bleak Ones he can communicate with. This direct control takes a full round of inactivity to initiate, and can be dismissed as a free action. While directly controlling a Bleak One, the Jester may only move and make free actions.

Notice that since Bleak Ones cannot use social skills, any beings they have extended contact with will quickly notice they're not in their normal state, unless a Jester is directly controlling one.

Bleak Ones Template
    Spoiler
    Show

Creating a Bleak One
    Size and Type: Remain the same.
    Special Attacks: A Bleak One loses all special attacks of the base creature that are based upon Charisma or alignment, but retains its other special attacks and gains the following special attack:
    -Final Drain(Su): Upon death, the hole where the Bleak One's emotions used to be is opened to the world, sucking feelings from all in a 40 ft. radius burst. Anyone but a Gray Jester caught in the area must succeed on a Will saving throw as if they had been a target of the Devour Joy ability of the Jester who created it. It does not matter whether the targets are laughing or not. If the Jester master of the slain Bleak One is within 200' when Final Drain occurs, he gains the normal benefits of Devour Joy for each creature that fails its save. Otherwise, the creature's charisma is simply drained into the body of the Bleak One, twisting its final visage into a hideously wide grin.
    Special Qualities: A Bleak One loses all special qualities of the base creature that are based upon Charisma or alignment, but retains its other special qualities and gains the following special qualities:
    -Telepathy(SU): Out to 100', only able to communicate with its Jester.
    -Surrogate(Su): A Bleak One is more of a shell to which its Jester master issues commands, though the Jester occasionally takes direct control; whenever the master takes direct control, Will saves, Intelligence checks, and some skill checks (Concentration, Sense Motive, and all charisma-based skills) are made using the master's bonuses. If any Will save is failed, the master has the option to release control. Should he decide maintain control, any spell, effect or condition affecting it affects him, (a master is at all times aware of all spells, effects and conditions affecting a Bleak One's mind).
    -Joyless(Ex): A Bleak One has had its emotions completely drained by a Gray Jester. It is unable to make charisma based checks and cannot cast or prepare spells unless a Jester is directly controlling it. A Bleak One obeys all commands given by its master, and is always aware of where its master is if they're on the same plane.
    Skills: See Joyless
    Feats: Remain the same
    Abilities: Charisma changes to 0, all other abilities remain the same

The results of a Gray Jesterís feeding vary depending on the target. Anyone with more Hit Dice than the Gray Jester loses the ability to laugh or feel joy if reduced to 0 Charisma. Those of fewer or equal Hit Dice, however, become slaves to the Gray Jester, called Bleak Ones. They lose all self-will as well as the capacity to feel positive emotions. Although not mindless, they undertake no actions unless the Gray Jester that drained them gives them orders. Bleak Ones become followers and soldiers for the jester. They lose all abilities that rely on alignment, or those that require Charisma, but otherwise retain all their capabilities.

Comments and queries:
    Spoiler
    Show

The main addition was the Jester's Scepter. I cleaned up the spelling and formatting. I boosted the healing power of devour joy and added the original monster's weakness after draining people's emotions. I may have gone a bit overboard on the scepter, but it's not like it can't be reigned in. I was just writing bits and pieces of the scepter ideas on a notebook to pass the time on a car ride.

I either need to make a joy slave template that removes the usefulness of the slaves, or I need to set the joy slave limit at something like 1/5HD. Which is better? Or should I make it based off the combined HD of the joy slaves?

Proposed feat:
    Make stones laugh:
    Prerequisites:???
    Benefits: Creatures immune to mind affecting abilities can be affected by the Jester's Hideous Laughter if the Jester succeeds on a feint check before using his hideous laughter ability, with the save being 10+1/2HD+Charisma modifier.

Changelog:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old
    Spoiler
    Show
    Didn't stat out fey traits since it is only low-light vision and proficiencies.
    Changed caster level for hideous laughter.
    Removed Dark Humor affecting mindless creatures, proposing the ability as a feat.
    Removed enhancements from scepter, and changed it a bit.
    Currently he has 1/5hd joy slaves, but I posed a question about that.

3/22/11
    Spoiler
    Show

Removed Devour Joy's weakening effect, since Gorgon said it seemed like no one would use it. Was "Gray Jesters are weak after feeding on Joy. For 1d4 rounds after devouring joy, the Jester's Damage Reduction decreases by 5, and its Spell Resistance decreases by 5. These penalties do not stack with multiple uses of devour Joy, but the duration is replaced."

Made Bleak One template, added ability to control Bleak Ones to Joy Slaves, and made holding the rod at 15th level allow him to control two slaves directly at a time.

Last edited by The Antigamer; 2011-03-28 at 12:47 AM.

4. - Top - End - #694

I'd really like to see the Shade Template finished. I think that the OP moved on to another project, but it was never deemed balanced in the old thread.
    Anyone here who'd like to polish it, or, if it's good as it stands, add it to the list?
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Antigamer View Post
    Cleaned up one of my favorite classes, Oslecamo's Gray Jester.

Gray Jester

Spoiler
    Show

HD:d6
    {table]Level|Bab|Fort|Ref|Will|Feature
    1|+0 | + 0|+ 2| + 2|Gray Jester body, Hideous Laughter, Dark Humor, Jester Scepter, +1Dex
    2|+ 1| +0 |+ 3| +3 | Last Laugh, +1 Cha, +1 Dex
    3|+ 1| +1 |+ 3| +3 | Devour Joy, +1 Dex, +1 Cha
    4|+ 2| +1 |+ 4| +4 |Joy slaves, +1 Dex, +1 Cha
    [/table]

Skill points:6+int

Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Diplomacy(Cha), Hide (Dex), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Cha), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), Use rope (Dex)
    Proficiencies: Simple weapons, Jester Scepter

Class Features:

Gray Jester body:
    The Gray Jester loses all other racial traits and bonuses and gains the Fey type, along with the following traits:
    • Low-light vision
    • Medium Size
    • Base Speed 50'
    • Deflection bonus to AC equal to half its Charisma modifier

50Ft!!!!??What?I would move it to 30ft.
    Also, I half Cha mod as deflections is a no no.(just imagine a level 20 sorcerer)

Hideous Laughter (Su):If the Gray Jester hits an opponent with a melee weapon or succeeds on a touch attack, it may cause the opponent to laugh uncontrollably. This ability duplicates the Hideous Laughter spell, and may be used a number of times per day equal to the Gray Jester's HD times its Charisma modifier. The save is equal to 10+1/2HD+Charisma modifier. If the creature was successfully feinted by the Gray Jester, then the save is 10+HD+Charisma modifier instead. Spell resistance applies, use the Gray Jester's full HD+Charisma modifier for Caster level to determine duration and bypassing SR.
    Creatures without an int score are immune to this ability.
    Can we decide before or after an attack?

Dark Humor (Ex):The Gray Jester is a true artist of humor. Creatures With?the Hit Die less than or equal to the Gray Jester or less don't receive any special bonus to resist the Gray Jester's Hideous Laughter ability for having low intelligence or being of a different type than the Gray Jester.

Creatures immune to mind affecting abilities can be affected by the Jester's Hideous Laughter if the Jester succeeds on a feint check before using his hideous laughter ability, with the save being 10+1/2HD+Charisma modifier.

Jester Scepter:
    All Gray Jesters have a scepter, made to look like a mockery of a king's scepter, which vary in appearance, but are usually a rod with a doll's head. The staff gains abilities as the Gray Jester's power increases.
    Spoiler
    Show

At 1 HD:
    The scepter is a masterwork weapon that deals 1d6 damage bludgeoning, x2 critical.
    One or two handed weapon?What happens when its lost?
    At 3 HD:
    Retracting expanded extension: The Jester's staff can extend and change shape. As a swift action, it can do one of the following:
    • Change its reach to 5, 10, or 15 feet. (Rod grows or shrinks in length)
    • Provide 15% concealment (Rod increases width to act as cover)
    • Deal piercing, bludgeoning, or slashing damage (Head grows spikes, blades, or is normal)

How long does it last?
    At 5 HD:
    The scepter is now +2 magic weapon that deals 1d8 damage bludgeoning, x2 critical.

At 7 HD:
    The scepter may act as an immovable rod. No amount of force will move the scepter once it is activated and only the Jester may deactivate it. It takes a move action to activate or deactivate.
    What the point of this?Is it dispelled by anti magic fields?
    At 9 HD:
    The scepter can be called to the Jester's hand as a swift action, so long as it is on the same plane. It is now a +3 magic weapon that deals 1d8 damage bludgeoning, x2 critical.

At 11 HD:
    The scepter now gains a facsimile of sapience. It gains an intelligence score of 10, and is able to speak and understand all the languages its Jester is fluent in. Its vision is 40', low-light. When the Scepter is in the Jester's possession, he gains the benefits of the Alertness feat, and a +2 bonus on charisma-based skill checks. Jesters often carry on prolonged conversations with their scepters, to the confusion or annoyance of others.

At 13 HD:
    The scepter is now a +4 magic weapon that deals 1d10 damage bludgeoning, x2 critical on a 19-20. In addition, the scepter may now fly under its own power, with average maneuverability and a speed equal to the Jester's base land speed.
    is it able to carry the Jester?

At 15 HD:
    As a full-round action, the Jester may hold his scepter in the air, while it erupts in maniacal laughter. Every creature that hears this laughter (Range is 20'/5 HD) must make a will save or be affected by the Jester's hideous laughter ability. This ability may be used HD/5 times per day.
    Even friends?
    At 17 HD:
    The scepter is now a +5 magic weapon that deals 1d10 damage bludgeoning, x3 critical on a 19-20.

At 19 HD:
    The scepter gains the dancing enhancment; the jester may still channel hideous laughter through the scepter, even if it's not in his hand.

Last Laugh (Su):The Gray Jester gains DR/cold iron equal to half its HD and SR equal to 11+HD.

Devour joy (Su):As a standard action, a Gray Jester can absorb the joy out of any laughing creature within 30 feet. The maximum number of creatures affected with each use of this ability is equal to the Gray Jester's Charisma modifier. All laughing creature can be affected, including those under a hideous laughter effect.

The affected creatures must make a will save (10+1/2HD+Charisma modifier) or take 1d4 points of Charisma drain and stop laughing (removing any hideous laughter effect). Creatures reduced to 0 Cha by this ability become unable to feel joy or laugh anymore, and simply sit on the ground staring at nothing, with blank, uncaring eyes.
    I Think that the last part must be token out,An undead that had his Cha drained will still do what it is ordered to.

The Charisma damage increases by an extra 1d4 and the range increases by an extra 30 feet for every 5HD of the GJ. The Gray Jester heals a number of hit points equal to twice the amount of charisma drained, and gains a bonus to his own charisma score equal to the highest charisma drained from a single creature for 24 hours.

Creatures normally immune to ability drain still take half damage from this ability.

Gray Jesters are weak after feeding on Joy. For 1d4 rounds after devouring joy, the Jester's DR decreases by 5, and its SR decreases by 6. These penalties do not stack with multiple uses of devour Joy, but the duration is replaced.
    For how long does it have this penalty?

Joy slaves (Su):Creatures drained to 0 Charisma by the Devour Joy ability that have HD less than or equal to the Gray Jester become the Jester's playthings, obeying all his commands. They lose all abilities that rely on alignment, or those that require Charisma, but otherwise retain all their capabilities.

The gray jester can control 4 times his own HD in Joy slaves at any time.

Notice that since Joy Slaves cannot use social skills, any beings they have extended contact with will quickly notice they're not in their normal state.

It's nice,But with out Cha,people can still survive,They don't become stupid,They understand what wrong and right.They just cant really feel anything and really speak.
    I think a another ability would work better.

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show

The main addition was the Jester's Scepter. I cleaned up the spelling and formatting. I boosted the healing power of devour joy and added the original monster's weakness after draining people's emotions. I may have gone a bit overboard on the scepter, but it's not like it can't be reigned in. I was just writing bits and pieces of the scepter ideas on a notebook to pass the time on a car ride.
    The DR and SR come in one level earlier than the guide says they should. Should I switch Devour Joy and Last Laugh to fix that? Also, should I lower the cap on Joy Slave HD?
    This is my review.
    awesome avatar made by Trazoi
    Totem Cleric:A divine fighter that uses a totem which empowers him.

I will not have as much acces to a computer so I will not post as much.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ogre in the Playground

What is wrong with a deflection bonus equal to one half its charisma modifier? Assuming a 20th level sorcerer has a Charisma score of roughly, say, 26, that is a +8 modifier. Divide that by two, and that is just a +4 bonus. What exactly is the problem?

EDIT: Also, the ability to make creatures slaves by draining their charisma is the hallmark ability of the Gray Jester (the one from HoH, anyway). Why on earth should it be replaced?
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2010-12-28 at 03:07 PM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #697

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    What is wrong with a deflection bonus equal to one half its charisma modifier? Assuming a 20th level sorcerer has a Charisma score of roughly, say, 26, that is a +8 modifier. Divide that by two, and that is just a +4 bonus. What exactly is the problem?
    Assuming a sorcerer has a base of 18 Cha
    +4 from the class
    +5 from ability modifiers
    +6 from items
    +5 from tome
    38 total which has a +14 modifer
    Divide that by 2 and you get a +7 deflection bonus.
    A ring of epic protection +7 cost 980 Thousand.
    awesome avatar made by Trazoi
    Totem Cleric:A divine fighter that uses a totem which empowers him.

I will not have as much acces to a computer so I will not post as much.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #698
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post

EDIT: Also, the ability to make creatures slaves by draining their charisma is the hallmark ability of the Gray Jester (the one from HoH, anyway). Why on earth should it be replaced?
    Well, 26 Cha at level 20 is actually pretty low. Assuming base 18, +5 ability boosts and +5 tomes, then before temporary items that's a 28. Then there're the boosts from this, bringing it to 31. However, I do agree with you, half cha to deflection is not too significant.
    Last edited by mootoall; 2010-12-28 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

9. - Top - End - #699
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monkman View Post
    Assuming a sorcerer has a base of 18 Cha
    +4 from the class
    +5 from ability modifiers
    +6 from items
    +5 from tome
    38 total which has a +14 modifer
    Divide that by 2 and you get a +7 deflection bonus.
    A ring of epic protection +7 cost 980 Thousand.
    But is it worth that amount? No, it is not. A ring of +5 protection- 2 less than this vaunted +7- is 50,000, a pittance at level 20. Beyond that, what of a character who pumps constitution this amount and gains natural armor equal to their constitution modifier, as well as getting +10 from their class? You've never had a problem with that. It's not a problem. Also, I advise you read the actual monster.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

10. - Top - End - #700

In response to Monkman's review: (Also, another note that this class is mostly all Oslecamo, so I can't comment on why he decided what he did)

50Ft!!!!??What?I would move it to 30ft.
    The base monster has a speed of 50'. I thought about making it start at 30' and increase, but figured I'd leave it as-is and let reviewers decide.

Also, I half Cha mod as deflections is a no no.(just imagine a level 20 sorcerer)
    It's really not that big of a deal, trust me. Have played several, the half-cha to AC has only ever been a giant boost after a good Devour Joy roll, but that's the point of the Devour Joy ability, to strengthen you.

Can we decide before or after an attack?
    If the Jester hits, it may choose to cause the laughter. I think that's pretty clear in the description

I Think that the last part must be token out,An undead that had his Cha drained will still do what it is ordered to.
    Hmmm, possibly, but what if it's an intelligent undead? Vampires that can't gain pleasure or satisfaction have no reason to continue existing. Also, what do you think should happen when all of your joy is sucked out of you?

For how long does it have this penalty?
    "For 1d4 rounds after devouring joy"

It's nice,But with out Cha,people can still survive,They don't become stupid,They understand what wrong and right.They just cant really feel anything and really speak.
    I think a another ability would work better.
    You really need to check out the base monster. And no, when any ability score is reduced to 0, the creature is incapacitated.

Scepter comments:
    One or two handed weapon?What happens when its lost?
    Good points, I will add them. It is one-handed, and a new one can be created given time.

How long does it last?
    I believe I need to word the ability better, but basically it's a "setting", allowing you to switch which one is active as a swift action.

What the point of this?Is it dispelled by anti magic fields?
    Flavor and fun? It functions as an immovable rod in an amf.

is it able to carry the Jester?
    An interesting question! I think yes, because flying items are common at 13th level, and the Mary Poppins image I got of a Jester holding aloft a flying rod, laughing uncontrollably, seems too good to pass up.

Should I switch the 15 HD and 19 HD abilities?

Working on a review of the gargoyle and Briarvex now.

11. - Top - End - #701

Gargoyle review for ScionoftheVoid:

Spoiler
    Show
    Looking nice! Not much to critique.

Ambush Hunter armament needs rewording.

You said they gain Natural Armour bonus equal to their Con modifier in gargoyle body, but the Tough Skin fortification says "Their Natural Armour becomes 1.5 times their Con modifier, instead of half their Con modifier"

Typo in runecarved body: "Their all their natural weapon". Also, I'm not sure about making all the damage typed as the energy, if they choose fire, everything that has fire immunity are immune to their attacks...

They only get one improved armament, correct? Maybe there could be gargoyle specific feats that allow for choosing more improved/base armaments as they level outside of the class?

I love stone cold metabolism.

I would like to see at least a small boost in an ability score. Maybe plus 1 to con at two levels?

Almost done, great job! You get my vote when those typos are fixed

Briarvex review for FishAreWet

Spoiler
    Show

"Upon reaching 1st level the Briarvex gains the access to Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat"
    You can remove that the.

"It follows the Monk's Unarmed Strike prosgression for damage."
    I think I'd prefer a table for this, you never know what monk fix someone is using.

I like Thorn Burrow, but I'm not sure about the dexterity penalty. That can get pretty hefty if the Briarvex gets in a lot of attacks.

Entangle: One round is a pretty small amount of time, and waiting until 11 HD for that to improve seems like a long time.

"At the cost of increases the action by two steps, the vegetation stays when the duration of the Entangle is over."
    So the Briarvex is now able to bring permanent vegetation to the desert by wandering around taking a minute every 60 feet?

Overall a nice class, interesting abilities, a bit more work and you have my vote.
    Last edited by The Antigamer; 2010-12-28 at 04:24 PM.

12. - Top - End - #702

Gargoyle review for ScionoftheVoid:
    Responses in royal blue.

Spoiler
    Show
    Looking nice! Not much to critique.

Ambush Hunter armament needs rewording.

I'll take a look.

You said they gain Natural Armour bonus equal to their Con modifier in gargoyle body, but the Tough Skin fortification says "Their Natural Armour becomes 1.5 times their Con modifier, instead of half their Con modifier"

Whoops. I could change the Tough Skin to twice Con mod or the base to half. I'll do the second unless asked, but the option is there.

Typo in runecarved body: "Their all their natural weapon". Also, I'm not sure about making all the damage typed as the energy, if they choose fire, everything that has fire immunity are immune to their attacks...

It counts as all of that energy type for the purposes of energy vulnerabilities, and energy vulnerabilities only. I'll add another example to clear that up. Thanks for catching the typo.

They only get one improved armament, correct? Maybe there could be gargoyle specific feats that allow for choosing more improved/base armaments as they level outside of the class?

Improved Armaments are added to the base Armament list, meaning you can get up to four (two by choosing them instead of other Armaments, two from Perfection.

I love stone cold metabolism.

Thank you. I may want to add clarifications to that at some point, and if anyone uses the Gargoyle I'd like to know about their experiences with Stone Cold. Particularly if there were things that were not clear and how useful it was.

I would like to see at least a small boost in an ability score. Maybe plus 1 to con at two levels?

The class is slightly stronger than you picked up on (Runecarved Body is not vulnerable to energy immunity/resistance, you get more than one opportunity to take an Imp. Armament), but I had a Con boost on level three at one point, I might put that back if you think it's worth it.

Almost done, great job! You get my vote when those typos are fixed

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by ScionoftheVoid; 2010-12-28 at 04:25 PM.

13. - Top - End - #703

Spoiler
    Show

Whoops. I could change the Tough Skin to twice Con mod or the base to half.
    Base to half would be best I think.

It counts as all of that energy type for the purposes of energy vulnerabilities, and energy vulnerabilities only. I'll add another example to clear that up.
    Alright, that makes more sense.

Improved Armaments are added to the base Armament list
    Oh they're added to the base list, ok, I somehow missed that.

I may want to add clarifications to that at some point, and if anyone uses the Gargoyle I'd like to know about their experiences with Stone Cold. Particularly if there were things that were not clear and how useful it was.
    I think it's worded pretty well right now.

The class is slightly stronger than you picked up on (Runecarved Body is not vulnerable to energy immunity/resistance, you get more than one opportunity to take an Imp. Armament), but I had a Con boost on level three at one point, I might put that back if you think it's worth it.
    I would, one of the staples of monster classes, to me at least, is they gain at least a small boost in ability scores. The class is great, and doesn't require an ability score bonus, but it would certainly be attractive

I'll check your edits later today and give you a vote.

14. - Top - End - #704

Spoiler
    Show

Base to half would be best I think.

Alright, that makes more sense.

Oh they're added to the base list, ok, I somehow missed that.

I think it's worded pretty well right now.

I would, one of the staples of monster classes, to me at least, is they gain at least a small boost in ability scores. The class is great, and doesn't require an ability score bonus, but it would certainly be attractive

I'll check your edits later today and give you a vote.
    Excellent, I added +1 Con to first level, because that was the only level with only two abilities, as well as fixing typos and adding examples. Thank you for your help.

15. - Top - End - #705

Everything checks out. I nominate the gargoyle.

16. - Top - End - #706

Woohoo! I will now look for something else to make. Decisions, decisions.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Titan in the Playground

Are you on the council? Because the societal nomination system was scrapped otherwise.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

18. - Top - End - #708

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Are you on the council? Because the societal nomination system was scrapped otherwise.
    There's a point. Well, those things needed fixing anyway, regardless of whether or not I'm technically closer to getting it on the list or not.

19. - Top - End - #709

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    No, I'm not on the council, and never thought I was. I must have missed when it was scrapped, I thought we were still on the initial nomination system.

20. - Top - End - #710

Responding to the feedback I got since I was away. The spoiler contains my more detailed response to feedback on the Manticore, as well as the changelog of stuff I've altered & added:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by ChumpLump View Post
    Killer image.
    Thank you. I go out of my way to find good pictures for monsters I'm submitting, and it's great to get feedback validating that.

Lack fine manipulation: Spellcasting?
    Doesn't that answer itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess
    I'm pretty sure the standard in D&D is to round up, so I think the "minimum +1" spot bonus might be redundant. Might be wrong, though.
    I tend to lean towards providing mildly redundant information rather than information that would prompt players to double check stuff or have to look stuff up partway through the session. If there's no objection, I'll leave this as is.

Spikes: Mmm. You handled some aspects of it well, but I'm not sure I like how you progressed a few others.

As for the numbers of spikes, I'd abolish the minimum, or at least keep it constant. No need to penalize the player for progressing, and it'll be good to have greater reservoirs of ammo as you go rather than a relative constant. See, the manticore was designed as a monster to take on a party of 4+ people- thus the spikes hit multiple enemies. However, when you turn the tables, it's all different, and I'm sure a player will frequently be up against 1-3 enemies where half of their spikes will always be wasted. Bleah. Perhaps allow the player to only use one spike at a time, if they so choose? Maybe even offer a bonus when doing so- just increasing the strength multiplier would be nice. Anyways, it'd work a lot smoother if you made a maximum rather than a minimum.
    Spikes: Maximum is a static number that increases with manticore Levels rather than HD or ability increases.
    It would seem more in line with what's already been done to make it scaling by something other than level, but as it stands I see nothing 'wrong' with it.
    I think my change will maintain this general 'volley' style attack, but I'll alter the abilities to allow more flexibility. Changes detailed at the bottom of this post.

I also don't like the rolling to determine number of spikes. You're already rolling to-hit and damage, why the hell do you want to roll even more? Nope.
    Rather agree with this. I didn't like it when I put it down, but couldn't decide on a middle ground between 3 and 6 spikes fired. I'll alter it.

You're constricting yourself too much to the "6 spikes at a time" system as well- don't stop there! Scale, scale, scale! You don't need to have 6 spikes at level 5 and then no more- you can always go beyond 6, and you can always go below six by level 5 if you want to scale by HD.
    I'll introduce scaling by HD.

Penalties usually don't have a type. They just always stack.
    I infer that Braodhead spikes are intended to stack, but circumstance penalties (or even penalties from the same source) explicitly do not. A caveat covering the exception to that rule would clear up this mild equivocation.
    Good to know, will change.

With Hooked Spike, can it reduce one's speed to 0? What happens if you hit a flier who's at clumsy? Does it just do nothing to burrow or climb speeds?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumplump
    Hooked spike: If I have clumsy maneuverability to I lack the ability to fly; if yes this is very powerful, much more so than the other spikes, if no it might be good to specify.
    Will elaborate.

A foe and comrade of who?
    Can my comrade Squiggly the goblin remove spikes from the LG paladin I just stuck with my spikes, or do you intend for the paladin's leric buddy to be able to remove my spikes?
    Both?
    I thought it was fairly evident (an enemy can remove spikes more easily from another enemy than that enemy could from himself), but if someone has to ask, it bears clarifying. Will tidy up the writing.

Sliver Skewer and Murderous impaler are just mean, as are barbed skewer combined with serrated spike. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    I like this feedback, because part of what I was aiming for in the design of the manticore was 'mean'.

Oh, terrible impaler is kind of weird. It'll be pretty potent at 5th level, but that'll quickly go down. Again, scale! Actually, it's also just mechanically weird. I think piercing DR might be powerful enough.

Anyways, otherwise it's all really cool until level 6, where it quickly becomes a worse and worse option. Scaling by HD is almost always a good choice for these classes. Never want the signature move to become obsolete, which natural attacks quickly do unless you're getting class abilities to add to them (as they're so hard to add onto by WBL).
    I generally strive for something that's a little out of the box designwise with most of my creatures, and this was one of those things. I wanted a way for the spikes to answer healing, fast healing and regeneration, and this was what I came up with.

Unless someone can tell me how/why it's game-breaking, I'll leave it as is. I'll introduce scaling, though.

Bloodscent... don't know what would be so hard about just saying "gains the scent ability", maybe linking to the SRD.
    I know several players who print out the classes from these threads, and my preference is to add the extra detail & spare them having to search for the info in the monster manual, if they want the specifics. I don't see any harm done by providing the extra info, and it can be convenient for some.

Maneater: While the background information is cool I feel that really belongs in notes. Otherwise, it's not much besides extra damage, and kind of encourages critical shenanigans. But it's no more powerful than a L.2-3 spell, so balance wise I see no huge problem with it.
    I think critical shenanigans shouldn't be a huge problem because of your chassis (stuck with natural attacks that don't lend themselves overmuch to ridiculous damage); any workarounds people find (becoming humanoid, getting weapons that a manticore can use, etc) are going to be more awkward than just not being a Manticore.

Oooh, ravage... makes Terrible Impaler a LITTLE redundant. Maybe increase threat range for melee natural attacks instead?
    Well, terrible impaler is a lot more reliable, if you're wanting that sort of thing, and offers a side bonus. Ravage does give you an option of burning some Maneater uses in a melee full attack if there's something you've just got to take down.

Swipe: Killing an opponent's action is much more powerful than a critical hit with a natural attack. With something like robilar's gambit, actually, this thing can make an excellent lockdown build. Don't know if you want that or not.
    I wasn't familiar with Robilar's gambit as of the writing of the ability. It stands to be a little too powerful with that, but not sure how I'd rewrite it for a workaround. Given that it's a feat you'd be taking after level 12, I don't know that it's really a problem. I'm open to suggestions or feedback either way, but I'm going to leave it more or less as is (aside from tweaking the 12HD benefit).

But with so many of the active and optional abilities relying on it's tail spikes, I don't think it grows enough of them fast enough. No archer above 1rst level should ever enter combat with less than 50 arrows, and this guy has effectively 24 'arrows' and encounter, and at the end that's 4 rounds worth of arrows.Then it's fun abilities are spent and it's a combat brute with 'I can probably critical right now' as an option. I think you can make growing tail spikes much faster, and/or give this guy more tail spikes. No one should spend all of their fun abilities in 4 rounds.
    I don't want to get too far away from the 'grows a spike an hour' and the maximum volley amount, because I do want to keep true to the nature of the actual monster. If the manticore is growing a fresh set of 48 spikes every hour, then I think we're deviating from the manticore as it's described in Dragon Magazine and elsewhere. Simply put, since there's relatively little manticore fluff out there, I don't want to stray from what exists.

Here's what I will do (changelog):
    • Spikes is renamed Spike Volley, and changed as follows:
      • The rate of spike growth, maximum number of spikes, number of spikes fired in a volley, and the size/scope of the volley now scale with HD. I capped some of the the numbers at the 5HD values to avoid any ridiculous numbers (a 30' radius & 180' range is plenty already).
      • The manticore now, starting at 10HD, regrows all its spikes with a full night's rest. Breaks flavor just a smidge, but it keeps things sane as far as rate of spike growth & the number of full volleys available in a day.
      • Broadhead Spike: Removed the mention of circumstantial penalty.
      • Serrated Spike: Now scales (+1 hp lost a round for every 4HD the Manticore has).
      • Hooked Spike: The flat -5' reduction now applies to any nonflying movement. Flying foes who would have their maneuverability lowered past clumsy have their fly speed halved instead.
    • Maneater: Changed the wording from "If the maneater attack drops the foe to 0 or less hitpoints" to "If the foe is at 0 or less hitpoints after being struck with the Maneater attack". This rephrasing makes it more efficient for really tearing into the already fallen and dying enemies.
    • Skewer:
      • Renamed to Skewer Salvo.
      • References to improving the Spike Volley ability were removed (and are included under Spike Volley/HD advancements now).
      • The 3rd level 'spike' enhancement now lets Manticores fire up to 1/2 their standard volley at a single target, at a -4 attack penalty.
      • Barbed Skewer now allows a heal check to prevent the damage.
      • Barbed Skewer now scales (+1d6 damage per 5HD of the Manticore).
      • Sliver Skewer now scales (+1 hp per 5' moved, for every 4HD the Manticore has).
    • Ravage: leaving untouched for now.
    • Swipe: The benefit granted at 12HD is now (to paraphrase, is changed from "May instead make your AoO a critical") the ability to also make your AoO a critical, but doing so denies you the ability to make further AoOs that round, to forestall shenanigans.
    • Impaler:
      • Renamed to 'Launch Impaler'
      • References to improving the Spike Volley ability were removed (and are included under Spike Volley/HD advancements, yadda yadda).
      • The 5th level ability for Manticores now lets you fire a single spike, taking a Power-attack-esque shot for potential high damage. These 'Impaler' shots automatically confirm as criticals, but I don't know there's real shenanigans possible here (Since Maneater only works with melee hits).
      • 'Terrible Impaler' now scales (reducing enemy's health by an amount equal to your HD).
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2010-12-28 at 10:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Titan in the Playground

No, I'm not on the council, and never thought I was. I must have missed when it was scrapped, I thought we were still on the initial nomination system.
    Don't get me wrong I wasn't having a dig at you, just curiosity if you'd been promoted, which would give me someone else to suck up to once I adjust the Lamassu for Gorgon's suggestions.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

22. - Top - End - #712

RE: Briarvex review for FishAreWet

Spoiler
    Show

I like Thorn Burrow, but I'm not sure about the dexterity penalty. That can get pretty hefty if the Briarvex gets in a lot of attacks.
    Is it? Assuming full optimization you can apply a -4 penalty per round at level one and a -12 at level 20. What is Dex affecting though? AC and Ref save, which synergies with Entangle and the classes Beatsticking. I considered making the penalty scale with levels but I decided that it already does with the amount of attacks you have per round. The reasoning for this ability in the first place is an incentive to not just burst the thorns out of someone ASAP, otherwise you just have a more boring Sneak Attack. This gives you a great reason to leave thorns in until your rip them out for the kill.

Entangle: One round is a pretty small amount of time, and waiting until 11 HD for that to improve seems like a long time.
    One round is short but look at the action it requires. This is an ability strictly better then the spell because it's (Ex), 60ft Radius, effects flying creatures and allows you to ignore allies.

So the Briarvex is now able to bring permanent vegetation to the desert by wandering around taking a minute every 60 feet?
    I wanted to give the Briarvex the ability to still be useful in environments without vegetation. So, yes, it can. Environmentally appropriate vegetation, like very small amounts of grass and catii.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post

Lammasu: Spellcasting is HD-2, it should be levels -2. Also, why did you choose that number, specifically?

Fixed, and not sure why; they normally get CR-1, but I recall you saying something to the effect of "that's too much given everything else they get over normal Clerics".

I've said it many times, and I'll say it again: I don't like specifying what the natural attacks grow to under growth. It already states that they increase one die size on the growth table, and by RAW, if you'd taken improved natural attack then when you grow to a larger size nothing would change.

Done.

Otherwise, looks pretty good.

Cool.

As for the golden protector, I'm just not seeing it. More non-Lammasu would be taking it than lammasu. Not a good thing.
    Honestly, I don't see why you're giving it to non-lammasu at all- all a golden protector is is an advanced celestial half dragon lammasu. If someone wants to be a golden protector, they can take the half dragon class and then the planar creature class, if that one's ever finished. I really think it should just be like the ulitharid or flind gnoll: give it to lammasu, and only lammasu.

Fair enough, liked the idea of other becoming them to follow a cause but I see your point: removed.

Secondly, pretty much everything but the 1st level aren't really worth losing spellcasting over: I'd just make it lose the spellcasting at 1st level and gain 2nd-5th.

Done.

Don't see why smite is based off of con- shouldn't it be based off of charisma?

Technically, but it doesn't use Cha for anything else whereas it uses Con for it's Breath Weapon, so I figured I could match them up. If it's an issue I'll change it.

As for calling gold dragons... it's pretty sad that you won't be able to get past wyrmlings until 12th level. Just sayin'. Also, the last paragraph there is a little wonky and confusing. Either clarify, or cut it out.
    Oh, also text-table errors.

I linked to the Gold Dragon class from this thread, you're essentially getting 1-5 temporary Thralls who all took the Dragon class.

Edited the paragraph.
    Anything else. Lammasu & Golden Protector for reference.

Also modified the Pseudodragon's size change to use Slight Build.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-12-31 at 01:23 PM.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flesh Golem

Spoiler
    Show

HD: d10
    {table=head]
    Level
    |
    BAB
    |
    Fort
    |
    Ref
    |
    Will
    |Features
    1|+0|+0|+0|+0|Reconstructed Body, Fire Bad!, Abnormal Mind, Illiteracy
    2|+1|+0|+0|+0|Grotesque Visage, Str +1
    3|+2| +1| +1| +1|Flesh Stitching, Harnessed Madness 1/day, Str +1
    4|+3| +1| +1| +1|Lesser Magic Immunity, Str +1
    5|+3| +1| +1| +1|Flesh Resonance, Hulking Build, Str +1
    6|+4| +2| +2| +2|Greater Flesh Stitching Str +1
    7|+5| +2| +2| +2|Harnessed Madness 2/day, Hulking Growth, Indomitable Charge Str +1[/table]
    Class Skills (2+ Int Modifier): None.

Proficiencies: The Flesh Golem is proficient with its natural weapons.

Reconstructed Body: The Flesh Golem loses all racial modifiers and receives the Construct type (which grants Darkvision 60'), medium size, 30 ft. land speed, and 2 primary natural slam attacks dealing 1d8+strength modifier damage.

The Flesh Golem has all the characteristics of the construct type (which has been changed from the normal construct type, so it is highly advisable the below is read):
    Spoiler
    Show

• No Constitution score.
    • Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    • Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    • Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects.
    • Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, ability damage, fatigue or exhaustion, or energy drain.
    • Cannot heal damage on its own, although it can be healed.
    • Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
    • Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
    • Never being alive to begin with, a construct cannot be raised or resurrected. It can only be revived by a wish, limited wish, miracle, or by reconstructing the Flesh Golem's body (requiring 500 pounds of fresh humanoid corpses- or the golem's previous body-, 2,500 gp worth of rare substances, and a DC 16 Alchemy or Heal check) and then a reincarnate spell, which will always put the golem's soul into the new effigy.
    • Constructs do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

Lastly, the Flesh Golem gains natural armor bonus equal to his strength modifier. This natural armor bonus increases by 1 when the golem's size increases.
    The Golem also gains +1 HP per HD. This bonus increases to +2 at 8 HD, +3 at 12 HD, +4 at 16 HD, and +5 at 20 HD. The hp increases are retroactive.

Fire Bad!: If the Flesh Golem is hit by a magical attack that deals Fire or Cold damage it is slowed (as if by the Slow spell) for 1 round, with no save.
    A magical attack that deals Electrical damage cures any slow effect placed on the Flesh Golem, and heals 1 point of damage for every 3 points of damage that the attack normally would have otherwise dealt. A Flesh Golem gets no saving throw against such attacks.

Abnormal Mind: The Flesh Golem's brain is unstable, and does not respond well to potential aggression. Whenever the Flesh Golem engages in combat, it has a 5% chance of entering a frenzied state. Should it roll a 1 on its initiative check, it attacks the nearest creature, or starts smashing smaller objects if no target is within range. Each round, the Flesh Golem may make a Will Save with a DC of 10+Cha mod of the enemy in order to snap out of it. The Flesh Golem's allies may also choose to make a Diplomacy Check with a DC of 10+Cha mod of the enemy (at a -10 penalty for being rushed) for the same result. The Flesh Golem may choose to fail the will save and ignore the diplomacy check.

Illiteracy: A Flesh Golem does not know how to automatically read and write. It may expend 2 skill points in order to learn how to do so.

Ability Score Increases: The Flesh Golem gains a +1 bonus to strength at all levels but 1st.

Grotesque Visage: The Flesh Golem gains a bonus to strength checks equal to his HD, and uses his strength score to determine intimidate checks, as opposed to charisma.

Flesh Stitching: The Flesh Golem gains DR/adamantine equal to 1/2 HD.

Harnessed Madness: At 3rd level, the Flesh Golem gains the Rage ability of a Barbarian of 1st level:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Flesh Golem can fly into a rage a certain number of times per day. In a rage, a Flesh Golem temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but he takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class. The Flesh Golemís hit points increase by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the rage when his Constitution score drops back to normal. (These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are.) While raging, a Flesh Golem cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats. A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the characterís Strength modifier. A barbarian may prematurely end his rage. At the end of the rage, the barbarian loses the rage modifiers and restrictions and becomes fatigued (-2 penalty to Strength, -2 penalty to Dexterity, canít charge or run) for the duration of the current encounter.

At 3rd level, a Flesh Golem may enter a rage once per day and at 7th, twice per day. Should the Flesh Golem take levels in a class that grants the Rage ability, any improvements to the rage stack.
    Furthermore, whenever the Flesh Golem enters a frenzied state from its Abnormal Mind ability, it gains the bonuses and penalties from being in a rage, though this does not use up one of its rages per day.

Lesser Magic Immunity: The Flesh Golem gains SR equal to 11+HD.
    At 11 HD, it has a 50% chance of being unaffected by any spell or spell-like ability that would be affected by its spell resistance.
    The chance of the spell missing increases by 10% for every 2HD, and caps out at 20HD, where the Flesh Golem becomes immune to any spell or spell-like ability that would have been affected by its spell resistance.

Flesh Resonance: Though a construct, a Flesh Golem may choose to count as an undead for the purpose of applying for any feats, classes or item uses that would are normally restricted to undead

Hulking Build: The Flesh Golem gains the powerful build ability, and his natural slam attacks increase in damage by one step.

Greater Flesh Stitching: The Flesh Golem's DR increases to equal his HD, as opposed to 1/2 HD.

Hulking Growth:
    The Flesh Golem increases to Large size and loses the Powerful Build ability. Its slam attacks increase in damage by another step.

Indomitable Charge: The Flesh Golem, when making a charge attack against an enemy, may make an intimidation check as a free action against that enemy before hitting: if it succeeds, the enemy is stunned for one round. This is a fear effect.

Changelog:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A work in progress. Currently basing it off of the Iron Golem class, so the unfinished sections still have parts from that in.
    Gave it the capacity to play off of its natural rage ability, and something based off of the fact that people tend to mistake it for an undead.
    Last edited by Super_Fluous; 2011-01-03 at 11:09 PM.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

There are a bunch of copy/paste errors that say "Iron golem" instead of "flesh golem" I also don't see why a flesh golem would get iron plating.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-12-31 at 07:09 PM.
    Avatar by the wonderful BeckyPages. My OC Curtain Call.

My Twitter account, where I will mainly post images of minis I've painted.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Dwarf in the Playground

I explained that in the changelog. Its still not finished yet, and I'm working off the Iron Golem class as a template.

Edit: And now it is done and ready for critique.
    Last edited by Super_Fluous; 2010-12-31 at 07:55 PM.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Super:

You state Iron Golem in Lesser Magic Immunity and Indomitable Charge.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah, thanks. Fixed that now.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Titan in the Playground

Quasi-God: Divine Rank 0

Class:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pre-reqs
    - 8HD
    - Knowledge (Religion): 4 ranks
    - Charisma 11
    - Successfully complete a trial of supreme difficulty, thus earning your Divinity. Generally this involves defeating a challenge with a CR higher than your ECL singlehandedly, though it could be something more abstract at the DM's discretion.

Hit Dice: d8
    {table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
    1| *| *| *| *|Deific body, Divine Spark, +1 Stat
    2| *| *| *| *|Fledgling Portfolio, Shield of Divinity, +1 Cha
    3| *| *| *| *|Manifestation of Divinity, Timeless Body, +1 Stat
    4| *| *| *| *|Hamper the Competition, +1 Cha
    5| *| *| *| *|Divine Dealings, Immortal, +1 Stat[/table]
    Class Skills: (* Int Mod/Level) Knowledge (Religion), any 6 skills (chosen at 1st level and cannot be changed)

Proficiencies: Quasi-God grants proficiency with all Simple Weapons, Light Armour & Shields (but not Tower Shields).

Divinity manifests differently in each of the rare few who achieve it. As such the classes abilities vary depending on the creatures outlook on life.
    The symbols in the table above are chosen by the player when they take their first level of this class and cannot be changed afterwards. They have access to 7 points to spend on the class.
    * - BAB defaults to that of a Wizard. By spending 1 point they can increase it to that of a Rogue, and by spending 2 additional points (3 total) they can increase it to that of a Fighter.
    * - All three Saves (Fort, Ref, Will) default to poor progression. Spending 2 points on a Save will increase it to the good Save Progression.
    * - Skill Points default to 2 Int Mod/level. Spending 1 point will increase this to 4, a second point will make it 6, and a further (3rd) point will make it 8.

In addition the Quasi-God may tailor the growth of their class abilities to a certain extent:
    - Spending two points will allow you to purchase one Monstrous Feat to allow this class to advance a previous Class Feature.
    - Spending points will allow you to advance previous Spellcasting, Manifesting or another progression (Manoeuvres/Stances, Essentia/Soulmelds, Invocations, Soul Binding etc.) that the creature had, as if they had gained a level in that class. The amount of points spent determine how many levels advance the progression:
    1 point = 1st level advances it
    +2 points (3 total) = 3rd level also advances it
    +3 points (6 total) = 5th level also advances it

Class Features

Deific Body (Ex): Unlike other Monster Classes the creature doesn't lose their racial traits when they take become a Quasi-God, but they do gain the Outsider Type (unless they were previously a Construct or Undead) and its Traits except that they can be revived as normal. Even if they were previously an Undead or Construct they choose a Plane which they feel is their home; they gain the Native subtype when on this Plane and the Extraplanar subtype when elsewhere. They also gain the subtype(s) that correspond to their alignment (which change after 24 hours to match the !uasi-God if it permanently changes alignment).

- They do not gain any natural attacks but they do gain a natural armour bonus equal to their Cha Mod.
    - They retain their previous size and base land speed. Their Base movement speeds all increase by 10ft for every 5HD they have.
    - Each of the races Age Categories increase to twice the norm, meaning their inherent lifespan is effectively doubled (if this would mean they are in a lower age category then they drop down to it; minimum of young adult).
    - The Quasi-God gains +1 to its Charisma score at 2nd & 4th level. At levels 1, 3 & 5 they may advance 1 stat of their choice (which may be different for each boost).

Divine Spark (Su): The transition into the life of a Deity is a big one, but this power isn't given to just anyone, and mastering this new strength gives many rewards.

1/5 rounds the Quasi-God may duplicate any Cantrip or Orison, using your HD as your Caster Level (Save DC 10+1/2HD+Cha Mod).

The Quasi-God may also shed magical light or create an area of magical darkness in a 60ft radius around themselves at will. They are unhindered by this darkness and these effects supersede any magical or mundane light or darkness from another source; unless the source is another God (including another Quasi-God) in which case whoever has the highest HD is superior (equal HD Gods roll opposed Charisma checks).

Additionally they may choose one of the following abilities:

Spoiler
    Show
    • Every 1d4 rounds the Quadi-God may unleash a pulse of untyped energy that deals 1d6/3HD damage as a ranged touch attack at a medium range. This is a standard action to use.
    • 1/day for every 2HD the Quasi-God may heal or repair (for constructs) a creature (including yourself) by 1d6/3HD. This ability technically requires a successful ranged touch attack (medium range), though willing subjects of your healing power are affected automatically (assuming they are in range and you have line of effect with them). This ability requires a standard action to use.
    • As a standard action usable 1/day for every 2HD the Quasi-God may increase a touched creature's AC, Damage reduction, Spell Resistance or some other form of resistance (eg. Energy resistance, resistance to Mind Affecting abilities etc.) by 1 point for every 3HD it has. This ability is a standard action and lasts for 1 round/HD. These are Divine bonuses.
    • As a standard action usable 1/day for every 2HD the Quasi-God may affect a creature within a Medium Range of it by making a ranged touch attack. They may reduce the target's AC, any one Save, Damage reduction or Spell Resistance by 1 point for every 2HD it has. This ability is a standard action and lasts for 1 round/HD.

Fledgling Portfolio (Sp): The creature may only be newly empowered, but they are becoming a God nonetheless and as such they must consider their portfolio: the facets of reality that they will begin to hold sway over.

They may chose a single Cleric Domain (not including Planar Domains) and gain its granted power. They may also cast each of the Domain's spells 1/day as a spell-like ability.

They may only cast spells that are of a level that a Cleric who's level matched your HD could cast (eg. a Quasi-God of 8HD could use the spells of Level 1-4, and a 17HD Quasi-God could utilise all the spells in their chosen Domain).

At 15HD & every 5HD after that they gain an additional use of each SLA.

Any spells with an XP cost still requires the Quasi-God to pay this cost.

Shield of Divinity (Ex): As a new Deity, many mortal magics find great difficulty affecting the creature.

- At 2nd level they gain resistance to either Acid, Cold or Electric equal to your HD, becoming full Immunity at 14HD. This choice is made once and cannot be changed.
    - At 3rd level they gain DR equal to 1/2 your HD that is overcome by one alignment that is opposed to an alignment subtype they gained from this class. If they gained none by being True Neutral then their DR is overcome by Adamantine.
    - At 4th Level they gain SR equal to 11+HD.
    - At 5th level they gain a bonus on Saves against mind-affecting abilities equal to 1/2 their HD.
    - At 15 HD they become immune to energy drain, ability drain, or ability damage.

Manifestation of Divinity: At third level the Quasi-God chooses one of the abilities in the spoiler below:

Spoiler
    Show
    Divine Companion (Ex):
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Quasi-God calls to their service a creature to serve as an ally and companion through their (possibly very) long life. This companion can be any animal that a Druid whose level matched your ECL could have.

The animal uses its own stats (depending on its current size; see below) and gains the benefits of being a Druid's Animal Companion. It may also speak one language the Quasi-God does and can communicate telepathically with their master as long as they can see one another. As a full round action the Quasi-God may increase or decrease the Companion's size by one step, from Tiny - Huge (regardless of if the original animal was either larger or smaller than this, Divine Companions are always within this size bracket, and will grow or shrink to either Tiny or Huge upon becoming a Companion). At 16HD they may adjust the companion from Diminuitive - Gargantuan and at 21HD they may adjust the companion from Fine - Colossal.

If the Companion is killed the Quasi-God may expend the 4 highest level effects from their Fledgling Portfolio ability without their usual effects to resurrect it after 24 hours have passed. Each time the Quasi-God gains a level they may change the animal that their companion is.

Aura of Divinity (Su):
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Quasi-God exudes power and authority, they are surrounded by an aura of Divine Energy.

As a Move action the Quasi-God may grant themselves a 5ft/2HD aura around themselves that can affect those within it with one of several effects. Their aura may be active for 2 rounds/HD each day and they may spread these rounds throughout the day as they wish (dismissing the aura is a free action).

The Quasi-God chooses one major effect and two minor effects that they may use from the lists below. The Deity may have 1 effect active at a time initially. At 15HD they may have both minor effects active simultaneously, and at 20HD they may also choose to have their major and 1 minor effect active simultaneously.

Major Effects:
    • Resolve: All allies (including the Deity) within range of their aura receive a +1/5HD morale bonus on either attack rolls, Saves or ability checks & skill checks (chosen each time the Aura is activated, all allies receive the same bonus).
    • Weaken: All enemies (excluding undead) suffer 1/5HD Negative levels that last for as long as they remain within the aura and for 1 hour afterwards (Fort Save DC 10+1/2HD+Cha Mod for half levels; minimum 0). These negative Levels do not stack with themselves though a creature re-entering the aura resets the hour before they fade. A target has HD equal to or less than the number of negative levels caused by this aura must make a second Fort Save (DC 10+1/2HD+Cha Mod) or fall unconscious until the duration expires.

Minor:
    (Unless stated, all Minor effects grant a bonus/penalty of 1/5HD)
    (Unless stated, any effects that affect allies also affect the Quasi-God)
    • Healing: All allies gain Fast Healing.
    • Drain: All enemies lose HP each round equal to the Quasi-God's HD. (no Save).
    • Senses: All allies gain a bonus to their Listen, Search & Spot checks, and to their Initiative.
    • Guard: All allies gain resistance of 5/5HD to one energy type (acid, cold, electric, fire, sonic). The energy type may be changed each time this effect is activated.
    • Bolster: All allies gain an insight bonus to 1 stat of the Quasi-God's choice (all allies receive this efect on the same stat, though the Quasi-God may change which stat it is every time they activate this ability).
    • Blur: All allies receive a Miss Chance of 1%/HD the Quasi-God has. This is a displacement effect.

Far Sight (Su):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge is essential to successful growth as a Deity, and the Quasi-God is no exception, developing the skills necessary to expand their church.

As a Full Round action usable at-will, they may use a Scrying effect, the target's Will Save DC being 10+1/2HD+Cha Mod, adjusted by the usual factors. Alternatively you may use a Clairaudience/Clairvoyance effect to see a location instead.

The Quasi-God gains Telepathy to a range of 5ft/HD. You may also communicate via Telepathy with anyone you can see through your Far Sight ability.

Finally, the Quasi-God may take 10 on any Knowledge or Martial Lore check, gaining a bonus to Knowledge & Martial Lore checks equal to their Quasi-God level. These check bonuses are an (Ex) ability rather than (Su).

Divine Travel (Su):
    Spoiler
    Show
    One of the greatest perks of being a Deity is the freedom to go wherever they please, and by choosing this ability they begin to unlock this power.

As a standard action usable at will the Quasi-God may teleport 5ft/HD. If they would end up inside a solid object they instead shunt to the nearest free space within range (if there are no free squares the teleport fails).

Additionally, 1/6HD each day they may mimic the Teleport spell (improving to Greater Teleport at 17HD), and 1/8HD they may utilise a Plane Shift effect.

Finally, they are under a permanent Feather Fall effect, are not troubled by difficult terrain (these two are (Ex) abilities) and may fly at a speed equal to their base land speed with average manoeuvrability

Personal Plane (Su):
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Quasi-God has their own minor Domain where they may rest, entertain and work.

The Quasi-God has their own demiplane (radius 10ft/HD). They may decide the temperature and geography of this plane, and may change them with 4 hours continuous effort. They may also decide the gravity, magic & alignment traits of the Plane (but not time traits or any others not explicitly allowed).

They may make the landscape out of any mundane material (not precious/alchemical metals, diamonds etc.) they wish and create any mundane structure/plant life that they desire within it, but nothing except mundane food and drink created in the demiplane may be removed from it, nor have any effect in the real world.

While inside the demiplane all inhabitants the Quasi-God wishes to be there (including themself) gain Fast Healing 1/5HD that heals up to half their max HP and any poisons or continuing negative effects (Melf's Acid Arrow, disease incubation period, negative levels, dazzled, stunned etc., but not death or other passive conditions such as blindness) are suspended, continuing as normal once the person leaves (these effects are suspended, they cannot expire whilst inside the demiplane).

At will, as a Full round action the Quasi-God may create a doorway in or out of their domain which can be dismissed by them as a standard action. They may also 1/ day transfer themselves into the Plane as an immediate action. Except for these methods the demiplane is completely planar locked, meaning there is no other way in or out of it, and no planar effects such as Astral Projection may pass through it.

Timeless Body (Ex): Upon attaining 3rd level, the Quasi-God no longer takes penalties to their ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties they have already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and they still dies of old age when their time is up (unless they gain the Immortal class feature before then).

Hamper the Competition (Su): As an Immediate action 1/5HD each day the Quasi-God may channel their growing Divine power and affect the spells of Divine Casters. To use this ability they must be within 60ft of the spellcaster, or be the target of the spell that they're casting. If you make a successful Concentration check (DC 10+spell level+Caster's primary casting stat modifier) the you may either cancel out their spell, wasting the caster's spell slot or duplicate its effect on themself as well as the intended target(s).

Divine Dealings (Su): At 5th level the Quasi-God is truly accepted into the circles of the Supreme Beings.

All Divine spellcasters that share their alignment are treated as Helpful.

Additionally 1/week they may call on a more experienced and powerful deity that shares their alignment for assistance. They can ask them 1 question/4HD as the Contact Other Plane spell, except theire is no risk of Stat damage & the answer is always true (assuming the Deity knows the answer and is willing to answer). They may also 1/day call on a Deity either for advice, to negotiate or simply to chat. This 1/day effect may not necessarily have a mechanical benefit, it is merely a way for the Quasi-God to grow as a Divine being.

They may also begin to exert their power on reality, 1/day utilising a Limited Wish effect. However this effect is powerful and until 17HD will Burn 2 points from a mental stat of the Quasi-God's choice. After 17 HD the Quasi-God no longer suffers Ability Burn when using this ability.

Finally, if the Quasi-God or an ally attempts to resurrect someone, their Divine network of contacts mean the Gods will allow the person to return at half the normal material component cost.

Immortal (Ex): At 5th level the Quasi-God truly surpasses mortality. They are now naturally immortal and cannot die from natural causes.

Quasi-God's now do not need to eat, sleep, or breathe and can still do so if they wish. This ability extends the Quasi-God's Venerable or Great Wyrm Age Category by an infinite amount, meaning they still age mentally but due to their Timeless body class feature will not age physically.

In addition they gain a bonus equal to 1/2 their HD to one of:
    - Any Saves they gave a good progression at Level 1
    - A number of class skills equal to their skill points/level-2
    - To their damage rolls if they gave their BAB a medium progression and to attack rolls if they gave it a good progression.

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    Divine Rank 0 was never officially given a CR or LA but I've seen a general agreement that an LA of 6 was appropriate. I took 5 levels because the LA generally came from their long list of immunities (which I've reduced to resistances) and their stupendous Spell Resistance.

I tried to keep everything interesting from what it gives, and since most of that was passive boosts I'm hoping I did an ok job coming up with new abilities without going too far.

I know I'm still waiting on Gorgon to approve the Lamassu, but this was rattling around my brain so I had to get it down. Hope people like it.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-02-18 at 04:52 PM.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Titan in the Playground

That looks awesome. And nice picture.
    One thing, the Divine Spark caps out at 5d6 5/day? That's... not that strong, The Warlock can get 9d6 at will and it's pretty weak.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.