New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Community Based Monster Classes: Come in and help out!

First: Under Body of Thorns, it will be 'loses' not 'looses' unless you're going for a poetic image.

Second: Its enhancement bonus, not 'it's'.

Third: Under melee in your weapon of barbs, your possess is missing the last s.

Okay, minor editing things done.

--

1st: I would not care to play this class at first level. What does it get over a bard? Natural armor. That's not worth losing what a bard gets (cantrips, bardic knowledge, three bardic music effects). This level is worthless until you take more levels, and should probably get something else that works off the bat.

Ah wait, you can deal nonlethal damage freely. ... Yeah, that's not enough. Not killing people isn't all that hard.

2nd: You get DR, a pleasant boost to damage, and a dex boost. Okay, I can work with that. The ability to deal nonlethal more easily starts to pay off. Comparing it to sneak attack, it applies in more situations, though you get it a touch later than the rogue does.

3rd: A single ability? Hmm ... free action? Good... 2*HD? Good... wait, it only applies to arrows? What if I want to shoot thorny bolts or spiky sling bullets? Fort save, fine, sleep spell, very useful, buffed by nonlethal damage, cool, that ability grows in use. Worry: Another ability useless against constructs and undead. That's all for nothing.

4th: Before even looking at the class: Hurrah! My weapons can suddenly kick ass with changeable enhancements. I can put Construct Bane on it and make up for my earlier weakness against them. I get a bonus to Dex, which is nice of course ... and now let's look at my class features. Ooh. Score. Add my dex to damage, just as a straight bonus; suddenly those dex bonuses become increasingly useful. Strip away natural armor to empower nonlethal attacks: Somewhat weird to think about but neat in mechanics. Barbs to annoy and sleep-poison people: Also cool.

This capstone makes me happy.

Advice: Find a way to make it more playable at first level; that's my main trouble with it.
    Last edited by Kajhera; 2010-12-09 at 10:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

I just saw the Umber Hulk, and I think it may be one of the best classes I've seen here yet. It has several options, and the focus on improvised weapons really helps the whole "Big monster swinging rubble at foes" image.

I would like to endorse nominate it.

<edit>Herp fixed.
    Last edited by radmelon; 2010-12-09 at 10:41 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

First of all, remember that in this thread, the term is 'nominate'.

But I'm not going to be anal about it. Do what you want.

Now, I'll tell you what I'm doing: I'm slowly but surely going down the list of unfinished monsters, from the top, and making sure my name is either under nomination, or suggestion for each of them. I highly suggest you all do the same, it's pretty satisfying.

In that same vein, I've noticed that new monsters get critiqued/nominated quickly for a brief period of time, but monsters which have been up for a while (see Bleakborn, Maug, Living Spell) are generally passed over. Let's not let that happen! Even older monsters deserve a look over.

On that note, I'd like to nominate the Solamith. It looks like a really fun demon, and well made, in addition to being well balanced. My own comment would be that it would be super fun if you could steal your enemy's skin to use Foreign Soulfire, but that's no big deal. It oughta go on the list.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

Many thanks to Qwernt for my amazing mind flayer avatar!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Okay, I'm going to comment on the living spell. Nothing particularly detailed, but... pretty basic.

Spell Slam subjects the enemy to your anima. What in the world does this do for: Mage Hand, Unseen Servant, Dancing Lights, Glyph of Warding ( ... ), Ventriloquism, Transmute Rock to Mud/Mud to Rock, Forcecage, Hallucinatory Terrain, or Project Image?

I'm not sure what exactly it does for several others (like fly), but those are the ones that quite confuse me.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

Completely re-did the WereScorpion... May I post another creature, or do I have to wait?

6. - Top - End - #216

Quote Originally Posted by Kajhera View Post
    Okay, I'm going to comment on the living spell. Nothing particularly detailed, but... pretty basic.

Spell Slam subjects the enemy to your anima. What in the world does this do for: Mage Hand, Unseen Servant, Dancing Lights, Glyph of Warding ( ... ), Ventriloquism, Transmute Rock to Mud/Mud to Rock, Forcecage, Hallucinatory Terrain, or Project Image?

I'm not sure what exactly it does for several others (like fly), but those are the ones that quite confuse me.
    For fly, mage hand, unseen servant, all of the hand ones, I added descriptions of the function a while back. I think I stated the Ventriloquism work at the normal range of the spell.

Transmute Rock to Mud and Mud to Rock basically transmutes the ground beneath you, because that's what you're touching. So slam an enemy, and their square turns to mud as per the spell, etc. Forcecage works just like the spell-- slam and they may be imprisoned. The illusion one have little combat utility, but D&D isn't all about combat.

Rumel: Post as many monsters as you like, I think. Nobody has a problem with that, right?
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-12-09 at 11:35 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

(>to werescorpion person)

No one has objected to my working on two, and Magi's working on multiple himself, so I presume it's fine. Just don't spread yourself too thin.

On that note, I've been thinking about Trumpet Archon. They supposedly disdain physical combat, yet have better Strength and Constitution than anything else ... so not sure what to do on that. Since their identifying feature is their trumpet, I think it might be neat to give them bardic music in exchange for a bit of their cleric casting, but that still gives me 6 or 7 empty-looking levels to fill out.

>to Magicyop

Okay, I see those now, and will make sure to read them... er... the glyphs still confuse me I think. Glyph of Warding is making me picture an abusive, jealous living spell husband, which is really weird.
    Last edited by Kajhera; 2010-12-09 at 11:43 PM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

I find it shameful that the ankheg has not received one single nomination. If Kajhera wants to add some more creative stuff to it, fine, but so long as she specifies that it does not get fine manipulation, it should be good to go.
    Thus, I hereby give the ankheg my nomination, with the stipulation that it receives the "lacking fine manipulation" clause. You all should too.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-12-10 at 12:10 AM.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    I find it shameful that the ankheg has not received one single nomination. If Kajhera wants to add some more creative stuff to it, fine, but so long as she specifies that it does not get fine manipulation, it should be good to go.
    Thus, I hereby give the ankheg my nomination, with the stipulation that it receives the "lacking fine manipulation" clause. You all should too.
    Thank you! Yeah I forgot to add that in; such has been remedied.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magicyop View Post
    Rumel: Post as many monsters as you like, I think. Nobody has a problem with that, right?
    Of course not.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

11. - Top - End - #221
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Does this thread still let people make requests? If so I'd like to request the Mohrg from MMIII (I think). I also hope there's no alignment requirements for the class, I'd love to play a hulking mass of undead as a crusader of protection and hope.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Starsign View Post
    Does this thread still let people make requests? If so I'd like to request the Mohrg from MMIII (I think). I also hope there's no alignment requirements for the class, I'd love to play a hulking mass of undead as a crusader of protection and hope.
    There aren't alignment requirements for any class, though you may be just a tad less likely to benefit from evil-aligned weapons if you're good.

Hmm... CR 8, natural armor, a natural attack and a natural touch attack, paralysis, improved grab, and create spawn. Looks like this one's going to need a little filling in.
    Last edited by Kajhera; 2010-12-10 at 11:06 AM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starsign View Post
    I think it's more of a favorite alignment system, not required, because you can't help how your born, but if your a horrible, brain-eaiting, soul-stealling monster... Chances are you won't be good... That said, I believe the Templates and PrC's should have alignment restrictions because you do not choose them first level... Anything else to add, or anything incorrect about this mini-rant?

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Rumel View Post
    I think it's more of a favorite alignment system, not required, because you can't help how your born, but if your a horrible, brain-eaiting, soul-stealling monster... Chances are you won't be good... That said, I believe the Templates and PrC's should have alignment restrictions because you do not choose them first level... Anything else to add, or anything incorrect about this mini-rant?
    Templates are fairly likely to have alignment restrictions. Half-fiends must be non-good, while gravetouched ghouls must commit specific evil acts (though they don't specifically have to be evil).

The usual alignment of a monster is, of course, still the usual alignment of a monster.
    Last edited by Kajhera; 2010-12-10 at 11:15 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, actually, you sortof can help how you're born. I believe all mohrgs were evil murderers in life: that's one of the qualifications to become one.
    Doesn't mean it needs an alignment requirement, though.
    With templates and PrCs, that all depends- for example, the half-fiend template should not have an evil alignment requirement, because, as you stated, you can't help how you're born. The unholy scion however? Yeah, you need to be evil for that.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Of course, in general, templates have restrictions at all, while base classes do not.

But yeah, as soon as someone says the half-fiend has to be nongood someone's going to want to play Merlin.
    Last edited by Kajhera; 2010-12-10 at 11:36 AM.

17. - Top - End - #227

Of course, in general, templates have restrictions at all, while base classes do not.

But yeah, as soon as someone says the half-fiend has to be nongood someone's going to want to play Merlin.
    Already haved, Anyways speaking of templates, Shouldnt the awaken skeleton be remade into a template for any creature?Instead of only for medium sized creatures.
    awesome avatar made by Trazoi
    Totem Cleric:A divine fighter that uses a totem which empowers him.

I will not have as much acces to a computer so I will not post as much.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monkman View Post
    Already haved, Anyways speaking of templates, Shouldnt the awaken skeleton be remade into a template for any creature?Instead of only for medium sized creatures.
    Well, as is it's not perfect, but it makes sense. First of all, it loses its previous mind and gains a new consciousness on becoming an awakened skeleton- it's less of a "skeleton" and "awakened human skeleton", which is certainly a race.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-12-10 at 11:52 AM.

19. - Top - End - #229

Well, as is it's not perfect, but it makes sense. First of all, it loses its previous mind and gains a new consciousness on becoming an awakened skeleton- it's less of a "skeleton" and "awakened human skeleton", which is certainly a race.
    I'd advise we change the name on the list to "awakened human skeleton", and then, if you'd like, we could make a skeletal template.
    I think that ''Awakened Humanoid Skeleton'' Would be better.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

I think that ''Awakened Humanoid Skeleton'' Would be better.
    Either way... once a creature is a skeleton, it's lost its soul. It is a soulless creature, and its only vestige of the life it once had is superficial.
    Actually, it might be cool to make additional levels optional on the awakened skeleton to make for any race you can think of. Each level you choose an upgrade... one might give additional natural attacks, one might give a size increase/powerful build/slight build, one might give movement increase/changes, the works. It starts out with the awakened skeleton as is, and then you go from there.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

Since this is "Home-Brew" friendly... I have a few ideas to try out... Mixing elementals... Air+Water=Storm Cloud... Air+Fire=Heat Wave... Water+Earth=Mud or Ice (undecided, but leaning towards ice)... Earth+Fire=Lava... Any objections or requests to make one of my ideas... Or a vote for ice or mud... Or both?

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Fairly certain they already exist? Storm/steam/magma/etc

Or maybe I'm thinking of Mephits ...

*Shrug*

I'll get to updating the Phrenic Creature a bit later on.
    Dragonborn Gnome avatar by the ever-lovely Derjuin!

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Since this is "Home-Brew" friendly... I have a few ideas to try out... Mixing elementals... Air+Water=Storm Cloud... Air+Fire=Heat Wave... Water+Earth=Mud or Ice (undecided, but leaning towards ice)... Earth+Fire=Lava... Any objections or requests to make one of my ideas... Or a vote for ice or mud... Or both?
    I give you the Paraelemental & Quasielemental Planes:

List of Paraelemental Planes -

Paraelemental Plane of Ooze (between Earth and Water)
    Paraelemental Plane of Ice (between Water and Air)
    Paraelemental Plane of Smoke (between Air and Fire)
    Paraelemental Plane of Magma (between Fire and Earth).
    List of Quasielemental Planes -

Quasielemental Plane of Mineral (between Earth and Positive Energy)
    Quasielemental Plane of Dust (between Earth and Negative Energy)
    Quasielemental Plane of Radiance (between Fire and Positive Energy)
    Quasielemental Plane of Ash (between Fire and Negative Energy)
    Quasielemental Plane of Lightning (between Air and Positive Energy)
    Quasielemental Plane of Vacuum (between Air and Negative Energy)
    Quasielemental Plane of Steam (between Water and Positive Energy)
    Quasielemental Plane of Salt (between Water and Negative Energy)
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

As far as homebrew classes go, from the FAQ:

"Q) What monsters am I allowed to make into a monster class?
    A) We encourage Homebrewers to build any monster they wish to see as a playable character class, though we would prefer that Homebrewers build Monster Classes for Monsters that have either been published, or that have been Finished and well P.E.A.C.H.ed."

I personally think this thread should be reserved for existing monsters as much as possible, and we should start a companion thread with player-crafted monster classes of monsters that don't appear in published works. It would be somewhat easier to reference that way.

25. - Top - End - #235

Daemon

Well, actually, you sortof can help how you're born. I believe all mohrgs were evil murderers in life: that's one of the qualifications to become one.
    Spontaneously-occurring mohrgs are, but Create Undead can turn any available corpse of more or less appropriate shape into a mohrg. (Technically by RAW it doesn't even have to be of appropriate shape, but I've usually seen the "dead body" requirement of the spell interpreted as "humanoid corpse" for making humanoid undead.)

The point applies for undead with such a requirement and no other creation method, though.

26. - Top - End - #236

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicyop View Post
    Yellow Musk Creeper
    Spoiler
    Show

Hit Dice: d8
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Class Features

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Rooted Body, Photosynthesis, Musk Puff, +1 Cha, +1 Con

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Mind Eater, Flowering, +1 Cha

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Growth, Amber Life, +1 Con

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Yellow Musk Zombies, Flowering, +1 Cha

[/table]
    Why cha?I think that Str might be better.
    Skills Points at 1st Level: (4+Intelligence Modifier) x 4
    Skills Points at Each Level: (4+Intelligence Modifier)
    Class Skills: The Yellow Musk Creeper's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis).

Proficiencies: The Yellow Musk Creeper gains proficiency with its natural attacks.

Rooted Body: At 1st level, the Yellow Musk Creeper loses all other racial modifiers and gains the Plant type, with all of its benefits and weaknesses. It is medium sized. It has a base movement speed of 15 ft. and two primary natural Vine Whips dealing 1d6 + Str modifier damage. It gains another Vine Whip attack for every 3 HD it has. The Creeper gains a natural armor bonus to AC equal to its constitution modifier. It may not wear armor and weapons must be specially made for it, doubling the base cost of the weapon.
    Can it speak or use fine manipulation?
    Photosynthesis(ex): A Yellow Musk Creeper, like any plant, needs the sun to survive. Under its warm yellow light, the Creeper flourishes and grows at an alarming rate. You gain fast healing equal to 1/2 your HD when you are in an area of natural sunlight. (Magical light will not do, nor will light produced from flame or any other source. However, a spell which replicates natural sunlight, such as daylight, will activate this ability.)

If you have the Amber Life ability, then when you are in natural sunlight, you still gain the fast healing, and your regeneration doubles to be equivalent to your HD. Note that regeneration will not effect lethal damage, while fast healing will heal nonlethal damage until you have none before it starts working on the lethal damage.

Musk Puff(ex): A Yellow Musk Creeper may spray heady spores with an intoxicating scent from its flowers. You may target one creature as a standard action by using this ability. The range of this ability is 10 ft. per HD, and the target must make a fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha Modifier) or fall under the influence of the spores, and desire to move closer to the source of the scent-- you. If 1d8 per 2 HD rounds pass and they have not entered your space, this effect wears off. Otherwise, they can take no action other than to try to enter your space, for which you take no penalty. If they succeed in entering your space, they will drop everything in hand and stand dazed, even unresisting of the creepers attacks. A target effected by this ability might even attack companions who try to stop them from entering the square of the Yellow Musk Creeper. This is a mind-affecting compulsion.

At 8 HD this becomes a move action, at 16 HD it becomes a swift action.

Ability Score Bonuses: The Yellow Musk Creeper gains +1 Charisma at levels 1, 2, and 4. It also gains +1 Constitution at levels 1 and 3, for a total of +3 Cha and +2 Con.

Mind Eater(ex): At level 2, the Yellow Musk Creeper gains the ability to extend thousands of razor sharp tendrils which pierce into the skull of enemies and quickly suck out their grey matter. As a free action, a Yellow Musk Creeper may, once per round, deal 1d4 intelligence damage to any or all helpless or unresisting creatures inside its space. After it has started dealing intelligence damage to a creature, the tendrils have latched onto the edges of the creature's skull, and the only way to stop the intelligence drain from happening in each subsequent turn is to kill the Yellow Musk Creeper, kill the victim, or convince the Yellow Musk Creeper to let go. The intelligence damage increases by 1d4 for every 6 HD the Yellow Musk Creeper has. If the victim is reduced to 0 intelligence, they die.

Flowering: The Yellow Musk Creeper is a plant, and thus it is constantly growing, changing into something more powerful. At levels 2 and 4, and once more for every 4 HD they have beyond their first 4, they may select one of the abilities from the list below. Unless otherwise noted, an ability may be taken more than once.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Musk Bomb: Your Musk Puff explodes against its target, billowing out to fill the lungs of nearby foes. When you use it, it also effects foes within 5 ft of your initial target. If you take this ability more than once, the range of the puff increases by 5 ft. each time.

Spore Sniping: The range of your Musk Puff attack increases by 5 ft. per HD. You may take this multiple times, each time increasing the range by 5 ft. per HD.

Focused Blossom: You may make one additional Musk Puff attack with each use of that ability. None of your Musk Puff attacks in one round may target the same target. Each time you take this, you may Musk Puff one additional time.

Creeper: Your movement speed increases by 5 ft. and you gain +4 on Move Silently checks.

Plant Strength: All of your Musk Zombies gain +2 Strength, and +4 Constitution. They also gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +1 bonus to natural armor.

Halo of Tendrils: Your brain consuming tendrils gain the ability to make their intelligence drain attacks against anyone within 5 ft. of you. However, unlike those for people in your space, these drain attacks deal only 1d4 intelligence damage and do not permanently latch into the skull of the target. You may not take this multiple times.

Greenery Shield: Your regeneration is no longer overcome by either fire or acid, your choice. You may not take this multiple times.

Growth: At level 3, the Yellow Musk Creeper grows to Large size. It continues to grow as follows:
    • 6 HD: Large size with Powerful Build
    • 9 HD: Huge size
    • 12 HD: Huge size with Powerful Build
    • 15 HD: Gargantuan size
    • 18 HD: Gargantuan size with Powerful Build
    • 21 HD: Colossal size
    • 24 HD: Colossal size with Powerful Build
    • 27 HD: Colossal+ size

Each time it grows an actual size category, its speed increases by 5 feet.

Amber Life(su): The Yellow Musk Creeper is a thing of majesty-- it will continue to shred the minds of its foes until the end of time. Thus, at 3rd level, it becomes nigh impossible to kill. The Yellow Musk Creeper gains Regeneration equal to half its HD, which is overcome by fire and acid.

Yellow Musk Zombies(ex): From now on, when a creature is reduced to 0 intelligence by the Yellow Musk Creeper's Mind Eater ability, instead of dying, they become mindless slaves of the Creeper. This is an extraordinary effect and may not be removed by any means. The Creeper plants a seed inside the victim, who gains the Yellow Musk Zombie template. These Yellow Musk Zombies do not expire after two months. They follow the telepathic orders of the Yellow Musk Creeper unquestioningly, and any shred of the person they once used to be is now gone. A single Yellow Musk Creeper may control up to 4 HD of Yellow Musk Zombies for each of its HD.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Type: Changes to plant, gaining all benefits and penalties of the type.
    Hit Dice: Current and future change to d8.
    Armor Class: Natural Armor increases by +2
    Special Qualities:
    Creeper Loyalty(ex): Yellow Musk Zombies always act to protect and nurture the Yellow Musk Creeper that created them. They can range no farther than 100 feet from their progenitor for the first two months of their existence. Thereafter, they may wander freely, or the creeper can command them.
    Deadened Mind(ex): A Yellow Musk Zombie recalls nothing of its previous life, and it exists only to serve its parent plant. A yellow musk Zombie loses all class abilities, skill ranks and feats. In addition, it cannot use magic devices but can wield weapons and armor. It also loses any innate spellcasting ability.
    Plant Traits(ex): A Yellow Musk Zombie is immune to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and polymorphing. It is not subject to critical hits or mind-affecting effects. The creature also has low-light vision.
    Seeded(ex): If a Yellow Musk Zombie dies for any reason, the growing seed inside its head takes root and grows into a Yellow Musk Creeper within 1 hour. The Creeper is not under the control of the original Creeper.
    Abilities: Same as the base creature, except the Yellow Musk Zombie has an Intelligence of 2, Dexterity changes to 10, and Wisdom changes to 8.

Curing a Yellow Musk Zombie: A Yellow Musk Zombie's patron plant must be killed before the zombie can be cured of its affliction. Thereafter, a cleric of at least 12th level must cast regenerate or heal upon the character before the implanted seed germinates.

Comments/Changelog:
    Spoiler
    Show

Comments
    From Fiend Folio
    So, I think I've gotten better. I'm pretty proud of this class. The Yellow Musk Creeper is a bizarre plant that creeps along, drugging people and then eating their brains and turning them into zombies. But it's pretty freaking cool, in my opinion. Enjoy!

Changelog
    12/8/2010: You now gain a speed increase when you grow.
    Posted Yellow Musk Zombie copy.

Other than the small coments that i said,It's a well done class.
    Last edited by monkman; 2010-12-10 at 04:03 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #237

I say leave the requirements off template classes, and put in a little sub-spoiler something like "We havn't put requirements, but use common sence - Your going to have to be pretty nasty to be an Unholy Scion, or a Horrid Monster"

Also, I wanna call dibs on the Varakhut. Pandoryrm is nearly finished, and I can't say no to statting up the Inevitable that goes around beating up God-Killers.

I'm also gonna nominate the Phenric Creature, Ankheg, and the Solamith. Well done to their creators, 'cause they're good classes.
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2010-12-10 at 04:11 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

First: Under Body of Thorns, it will be 'loses' not 'looses' unless you're going for a poetic image.

Second: Its enhancement bonus, not 'it's'.

Third: Under melee in your weapon of barbs, your possess is missing the last s.

Okay, minor editing things done.
    Excellent and fixed, I'm glad you pointed those out.

1st: I would not care to play this class at first level. What does it get over a bard? Natural armor. That's not worth losing what a bard gets (cantrips, bardic knowledge, three bardic music effects). This level is worthless until you take more levels, and should probably get something else that works off the bat.

Ah wait, you can deal nonlethal damage freely. ... Yeah, that's not enough. Not killing people isn't all that hard.
    Well, there are a couple other minor perks, you can choose to deal a different type, and make a whip do lethal damage, but I suppose you're right. It's a very utility level and maybe not best placed on a class's first level.

Aside from having them treat thorned weapons as masterwork until the magical enhancement kicks in, I can't really think of much to add.

2nd: You get DR, a pleasant boost to damage, and a dex boost. Okay, I can work with that. The ability to deal nonlethal more easily starts to pay off. Comparing it to sneak attack, it applies in more situations, though you get it a touch later than the rogue does.
    I had considered moving it down a level (to 1st/3rd) but the 2nd level is quite lackluster with just DR so I'd just be faced with the same problem all over again.

3rd: A single ability? Hmm ... free action? Good... 2*HD? Good... wait, it only applies to arrows? What if I want to shoot thorny bolts or spiky sling bullets? Fort save, fine, sleep spell, very useful, buffed by nonlethal damage, cool, that ability grows in use. Worry: Another ability useless against constructs and undead. That's all for nothing.
    Hmm, that does shoehorn thorns into just using bows a bit, maybe I'll go in and open that up a bit. It's true that it's not so good vs constructs or undead, but it's got some other abilities that are, and they'll have up to 16 levels from other classes to play around with.

4th: Before even looking at the class: Hurrah! My weapons can suddenly kick ass with changeable enhancements. I can put Construct Bane on it and make up for my earlier weakness against them. I get a bonus to Dex, which is nice of course ... and now let's look at my class features. Ooh. Score. Add my dex to damage, just as a straight bonus; suddenly those dex bonuses become increasingly useful. Strip away natural armor to empower nonlethal attacks: Somewhat weird to think about but neat in mechanics. Barbs to annoy and sleep-poison people: Also cool.

This capstone makes me happy.
    I figure if they're 'softened' up without natural armour, the barbs and thorns on their weapon will have an easier time doing their job.

Advice: Find a way to make it more playable at first level; that's my main trouble with it.
    Alright, I've made some changes and additions to the class, so tell me what you think of those. I'll take some time to think about other possible additions if people think it's necessary.
    Homebrew Monster Classes:
    Arcadian Avenger|Thorn|Marrash|Justice Archon

29. - Top - End - #239
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeckoKing View Post
    I say leave the requirements off template classes, and put in a little sub-spoiler something like "We havn't put requirements, but use common sence - Your going to have to be pretty nasty to be an Unholy Scion, or a Horrid Monster"

Also, I wanna call dibs on the Varakhut. Pandoryrm is nearly finished, and I can't say no to statting up the Inevitable that goes around beating up God-Killers.

I'm also gonna nominate the Phenric Creature, Ankheg, and the Solamith. Well done to their creators, 'cause they're good classes.
    Well, thank you. But I actually have a question on my own class. As its size increases, should the size of its tunnels increase, and how? I am not entirely familiar with how long creatures work, and don't quite know if it should still be making 5' tunnels at Gargantuan.
    Last edited by Kajhera; 2010-12-10 at 04:44 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240

I'm inclined to say that while I can't say you shouldn't, I wouldn't... I'm not saying they're bad idea, it could be kinda cool. But I think the intention when we mentioned homebrew monsters is turning homebrew monsters into classes, not starting from scratch. You're welcome to start from scratch, but when we say we would prefer monsters critiqued and well peached, that's what we mean. A monster class with no monster behind it has exactly zero peaches. But again, please, don't feel hindered, I'm just clarifying what the rule on the first post is intended for.

Other than the small coments that i said,It's a well done class.
    Thank you! Okay, first of all, the charisma is because the yellow musk creeper lures people in with pretty flowers before it starts hitting them. It seemed to make sense, you know? But if you think it would be better as strength, I'll change it.

I'll add speech and fine manipulation. Speech is a little odd, since it's a plant, but without the ability to speak, it might be hard to participate in a party.

Thanks for the comments.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew: