Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the magic.[3.5 Monster Class]

At which con modifier?
    If you have a HG with, say, 18 con, that's a +4 moddifier. Ok, so you can only upgrade by +3. but than he has a 22 con, for a +6 moddifier, which puts his con after purchase at 28. Which is a +9 moddifier. which puts him at 37 con, etc, etc.

You'd have to specify that you can't use the same piece of modifier twice, (making the flow 18->22->24->25, instead of 18->22->28->37), or better yet specify that you can only use the "pre-upgraded" modifier (which stops him at 22).
    [/munchkin]
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Extended Signature
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the magic.[3.5 Monster Class]

I meant the un-enhanced one,the base, without the template. Also, without any magical enhancements. You could add any inherent bonuses though.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

I read read it as "Cannot exceed its half-golem levels" which meant it could get only a +3 bonus at best. It should probably remain this way since its in line with other kind of Monster classes. It still gives you incredible flexibility without being ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post

DM says: WHY!? WHY!? WHY?!
    DM means: NO! NO! NO!!!
    Player hears: GOOD JOB PLAYER! DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jguy View Post
    I read read it as "Cannot exceed its half-golem levels" which meant it could get only a +3 bonus at best. It should probably remain this way since its in line with other kind of Monster classes. It still gives you incredible flexibility without being ridiculous.
    I beg to differ actually the OP said the following:

The Half-golem may not gain a number of improvements beyond its number of non Half-golem HD.
    I would consider jguy's solution a little too limiting, but Soulblazer's solution seems pretty good. It keeps a nice cap on it.

5. - Top - End - #35

ClericGuy

Too limiting? A dividable +3 unnamed bonus to any physical stat seems like an incredible bonus. This also stacks with the bonuses from leveling AND construction material. Heck, a Half Iron Golem can get a +10 strength by level three with this alone.

6. - Top - End - #36

PaladinGuy

Too limiting? A dividable +3 unnamed bonus to any physical stat seems like an incredible bonus. This also stacks with the bonuses from leveling AND construction material. Heck, a Half Iron Golem can get a +10 strength by level three with this alone.
    Okay, I see what you mean. I probably was wrong in saying that.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait-a-sec. Why are we trying to "fix" this? the current way (non-half-golem HD caps it) ensures that a 3rd level half-golem has no increases. He has to wait a whole level before he can gain his first increase. Yeah, he can get +17 by 20th level...
    But that requires he reach 20th level.
    he can only have +1 by 4th, only +2 by 5th....
    It isn't a parabolic gain in power like a wizards, but it isn't linear, either. It's more like...
    Oh, I forget what it's called. It looks like the parabolic function y=X^3, but on it's (left) side, not upright, then translated up-right. Anyone? Help me remember.
    The point is that while it does end up less that linear at the start, then more for a bit, but then linear passes it again and it never catches up.

anyways, it's not really that over powered as is, is it?

Extended Signature
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Wait-a-sec. Why are we trying to "fix" this? the current way (non-half-golem HD caps it) ensures that a 3rd level half-golem has no increases. He has to wait a whole level before he can gain his first increase. Yeah, he can get +17 by 20th level...
    But that requires he reach 20th level.
    he can only have +1 by 4th, only +2 by 5th....
    It isn't a parabolic gain in power like a wizards, but it isn't linear, either. It's more like...
    Oh, I forget what it's called. It looks like the parabolic function y=X^3, but on it's (left) side, not upright, then translated up-right. Anyone? Help me remember.
    The point is that while it does end up less that linear at the start, then more for a bit, but then linear passes it again and it never catches up.

anyways, it's not really that over powered as is, is it?
    I would say it follows the line y=x-3, myself. It's a little over the top considering that a +17 bonus to one stat or spread over a number of stats is pretty massive.

9. - Top - End - #39

ClericGuy

Also, we are trying to make it more balanced and more acceptable for DM's to allow in their games. We don't want to make it so absurd that no one uses it. I believe a dividable +3 bonus to any physical stat is plenty considering you get an automatic +3 str and +3 con (if you save vs The Danger) on top of the material bonuses.

Also, flabort, while I don't fault you for wanting to give Fighters and the such a much needed boost, the issues of tier 1-2 vs the rest cannot be solved by simple stat bonuses. Even if you give your guy +31 to con from inherit bonuses, this classes +17, leveling, and a +6 item and make your SR crazy high, a Wizard is still can gate you to another plane, level drain you down to nothing, Shapechange into so many crazy things, and cast Time Stop.

What I love from Half-Golem is that it is so damn flavorful AS WELL AS giving fighter types a much needed boost in flexibility. SR, Nat armor, improved saves, great stat bonuses and the such, while still remaining balanced in my opinion. Half-golem easily brings a tier 4 or 5 fighter type to tier 3 game play just on these facts alone.
    Last edited by jguy; 2010-12-25 at 04:24 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Thought I'd ask, but why does the half-hellfire golem do things with fire damage rather than hellfire damage?
    Also, on the half-prismatic golem abilities, you forgot to close the size code, and mentioned half-alchemical golem in one. Yuo also used [/spell] rather than [/url] in the Half Retrospect Golems ability when linking to the slow spell.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

11. - Top - End - #41

What I love from Half-Golem is that it is so damn flavorful AS WELL AS giving fighter types a much needed boost in flexibility. SR, Nat armor, improved saves, great stat bonuses and the such, while still remaining balanced in my opinion. Half-golem easily brings a tier 4 or 5 fighter type to tier 3 game play just on these facts alone.
    Thankyou.
    I'm glad you appreciate the options and combat flexibility.
    That's what I was aiming for.

As for improvements, I can see how +17 is rather ridiculous at L.20, but I'm also with flarbot on that it's rather limited level by level. I think I will go with a 1/2 HD progression, allowing for +8 by 20th level. Slower, but less abusable.

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    Thought I'd ask, but why does the half-hellfire golem do things with fire damage rather than hellfire damage?
    Weapon is hellfire.
    Material I felt would be unbalanced if I gave it reactive hellfire damage.
    Do you disagree?

Also, on the half-prismatic golem abilities, you forgot to close the size code, and mentioned half-alchemical golem in one. Yuo also used [/spell] rather than [/url] in the Half Retrospect Golems ability when linking to the slow spell.
    Thanks, good catches.
    Fixed, fixed, and fixed.

I'm really happy to see all this discussion.
    Half-wrought Horror on delay for holidays and... new rollerblades...
    I'm struggling with the non-material/weapon abilities.
    Any suggestions or requests for the "Half-X golem Half-Y golem Quarter Z golem" prestige class?
    Come with me, time out of mind...

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChumpLump View Post
    Weapon is hellfire.
    Material I felt would be unbalanced if I gave it reactive hellfire damage.
    Do you disagree?
    Except that from the description that isn't hellfire. Hellfire is a completely separate damage type from normal fire, and has its own resistance as a result. Fiendish Codex II mentions: "Hellfire does not deal fire damage despite its flames. Even creatures with immunity or resistance to fire take full normal damage from these hellish flames. Hellfire also deals full damage to objects, unlike normal fire damage."

It seems like the half hellfire golem should gain hellfire resistance rather than fire resistance, and deal hellfire damage rather than fire, but perhaps at a reduced amount due to the rarity of resistance compared to fire.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

13. - Top - End - #43

ClericGuy

I think half H/D progression for upgrades makes a lot of sense. Slows how much you can improve yourself so it doesn't overwhelm everyone.

Ideas! Okay, just going to grab my MM1 and throw out some ideas.

Half-Angel Golem. An Angel must donate a limb to you to use for this. User must be of good alignment otherwise the limb will "go rogue" and try to kill you. Gives you DR/Evil, +charisma instead of +con or you can upgrade your charisma like half brain golem. First level counts as 1 level of cleric and/or stacks. You gain Smite Evil for weapon material

Half Assassin Vine Golem: This would be a more symbiotic than anything as it allows you to grow an assassin vine where your arm is. Material bonus gives you plant like traits (nice bonus in my opinion) and the weapon bonus gives you improved grab and constrict along with reach with your Bash attack.

Half Beholder Golem: You have slain a beholder and incorporated its eyes into your arm albeit at a weakened state. Material bonus gives you all around vision and a bonus to spot equal to HD or 1/2 HD. Weapon gives you a choice per 3 or 4 HD of an eye beam power. These should be created specifically for the class not to be overpowered. Probably go with the ones for Gauth beholder until much later levels then you can try telekinesis at will and such.

Half Demon/Devil Golem: Similar to angel in that the monster must donate the limb. Same danger of "going rogue". Still can upgrade +cha and everything. DR becomes DR/Good.

Half Elemental Golem: 4 different kinds here of course, fire/earth/water/air. This is a tricky donation so the Danger should be increased by 5. Since golems already have elementals giving them life, perhaps this one allows the elemental's spirit to leak threw more. Earth gives you +2 strength and con to nat armor and weapon size is increased by 1 and allows free bullrushes. Fire and air give +2 dex. Fire's weapon lets you catch opponent on fire but the DC and damage should scale with HD. Air should allow you to fly average for certain times a day based of HD. Water should either give +2 dex or con and water breathing. Weapon should give you improved grab along with a suffocation thing. Like you are drowning their head in your watery grasp.

Half Gorgon Golem: You've killed and incorporated the magic of the gorgon into a limb. Material should give you immune to petrification and stuns. Weapon should give you the breath weapon of the gorgon.

Half lycanthrope golem: Less of a golem and more of a self inflicted disease restricted to a single limb. The user is able to transform the limb at will and gain certain benefits based off what strain of lycanthrope that limb is infected with. Material gains DR/Silver and a physical bonus based of the animal. The weapon will also be based off the animal but it will be stronger than normal since you are focusing everything into one limb.

Half Ooze Golem: Another symbiotic relationship. Through powerful magic, you've gained control of an ooze and shaped into that of your missing limb. Material bonuses should give you ooze traits or some of them anyway. You can eat literally anything. Depending on the type of ooze you have, either gain paralysis or constrict. definitely gain immunity to acid and deal acid damage on a slam.

Half Shield Guardian Golem: The tanking/defender breed. Should be able to use Shield other at will as an immediate action, gain Con to Nat armor along with another +con booster as a material component.

Half Swarm Golem: This one is based off the Swarm totem barbarians. Your limb is a specialized hive housing a swarm of insects of your choice. You can summon them at will. Look into the custom barbarian totems for further info.

Half Vampire Golem: Hard hitter right here but extremely dangerous. Increase the Danger by +5 or +10 and instead of construct you become a vampire NPC under the DM's control. Material component gives you +4 strength but your limb must be bathed in blood every couple days or you lose strength. Your DR becomes DR/Good. You have weakness to sunlight or at least your arm does. Weapon bonus allows you to give 1 temporary negative level a certain number of times per day based of HD. You will need to make sure this is balanced.

14. - Top - End - #44

ClericGuy

Okay, a Prestige Class. Could be named Golem Weapon Master or Stitched King (for a more badass name) or just about anything.

This PrC allows you to gain more Half-Golem limbs and such but spread out and the bonuses would have to be reduced. If you want to just allow 1 more limb, make it a 5 level PrC, 10 levels should give access to 3 limbs but for now I think we'll stick with 5 level class.

Requirement should be having access to Golem improvements and 4 Bab. This means you can get it at level 6 if you go full Bab class or level 7 if its 3/4 Bab. Also you will need a lost limb to be replaced and such

Level 1 you will need to pass the Danger again but it will be a 20 since you will have to elemental spirits to control. You would need to pick another golem class to be what you base your material bonuses and weapon bonuses on. At this point all you would get is another bash attack that deals 1d8.

Level 2 you get the material bonus of your golem.

Level 3 your SR becomes 10+HD+con mod

Level 4 You get the weapon bonus of your golem

Level 5 allows you to make better improvements to your self. Perhaps increase the DC's on your weapons attacks, give a +2 unnamed bonus to any physical stat or something. I am out of ideas at this point.

Essentially this just allows you another part of you to be a golem.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    Except that from the description that isn't hellfire. Hellfire is a completely separate damage type from normal fire, and has its own resistance as a result. Fiendish Codex II mentions: "Hellfire does not deal fire damage despite its flames. Even creatures with immunity or resistance to fire take full normal damage from these hellish flames. Hellfire also deals full damage to objects, unlike normal fire damage."

It seems like the half hellfire golem should gain hellfire resistance rather than fire resistance, and deal hellfire damage rather than fire, but perhaps at a reduced amount due to the rarity of resistance compared to fire.

Owrtho
    They...they... made...
    They gave hellfire resistances and immunities?
    That... hurts me in places.
    Places I wasn't aware I had.
    I suppose I could update the attack to 3.5 hellfire rather than the 3.0 version I was working with (Hellfire Golem's still 3.0 I guess) this will also require a little work on the Uttercold and other thunder ability.
    I don't think I'm going to give it Hellfire immunity/healing due to the very very small amount of monsters that will be using.

I think half H/D progression for upgrades makes a lot of sense. Slows how much you can improve yourself so it doesn't overwhelm everyone.

Ideas! Okay, just going to grab my MM1 and throw out some ideas.
    Half Shield Guardian is already available.
    And I think you're a bit confused here, the half-golem is explicitly constructs. Grafting parts of other creatures is well covered by "graft" items and "Soulstitched" with Lappy9000's fun feats.

Okay, a Prestige Class. Could be named Golem Weapon Master or Stitched King (for a more badass name) or just about anything.
    *snip*
    While appreciate the input, I do have a skeleton of the class "The half-wrought horror" and a basic idea of an outline, what I'm looking for is active abilities that exist outside of more material and weapons.
    Last edited by AugustNights; 2010-12-27 at 03:36 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Half-wrought Horror

I was a man once. I think, in a dream. I think I may have been other things. Maybe I dreamed I was other things. Fire. Time. Earth. Something like that. Now? Now I just want to wake up from more dreams. Because it feels... invigorating in ways I can't describe. ~Geoffrey Strongarm Half-wrought Horror

Many half-golems will continue to improve on their current limb, constantly tinkering with their construct limb, gaining strength and the occasional odd ability from it, however some half-golems are not satisfied with improvement of the one limb, some half-golems seek more. While the creation of the half-golem is an inexact magic, filled with danger and potential, some who undergo its twisted and painful process find themselves wishing for more. Many revisit the ugly process for the raw aspects of power it might offer them, others may find the thrill of the first clash between the elemental’s spirit and their own flesh exhilarating and desire more, still others that may have overcome The danger of becoming a terrible monster may find themselves longing be more of a construct than they ever were. There are the occasional few pressed into it by aggressively curious, or progress driven individuals. Whatever the reason this creature undergoes the odd grafting ceremony and surgery once more, adding an addition limb of another type to the already unstable subject.

BECOMING A HALF-WROUGHT HORROR
    Becoming a half-wrought horror is both incredibly simple, and horribly complicated, one must simply lose another limb, or have it surgically removed, and undergo the golemaic grafting ritual once more, with a new limb from a different construct. This process is incredibly violent on the subject’s body and mind, and subjects lacking enough raw power will die outright.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Special: Must have 5 or more hit dice.
    Special: Must have completed all 3 levels of Half-golem.
    Special: Must lack another body part to be replaced (Those who wish to remove the limb surgically must have another perform a DC 20 Heal check on them, or suffer 1d6 points of constitution damage. A failed half-golem suffers 1d10+5 damage for a failure on this heal check. One may attempt this heal check on their own, but the DC is increased by 10.)
    Special: Must spend 500 gp for the raw materials used in construction of this limb at first level of half-wrought horror, and then must respectively pay 600 gp, 700 gp, 800 gp, and 900 gp for taking the other four levels, in order to pay for the improvements. Alternatively should a player destroy a Golem of the appropriate type, and leave enough of its body in tact (DM’s Discretion), it may forgo these prices. An appropriate graft feat, or Craft Constructs may be used to reduce this price by half. (With no xp cost.)

Hit Dice: d10

Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Ref Will Special
    1st +1 +2 +0 +2 The danger revisited, Second construction material, Clash of the Elementals, Harder better faster stronger +1
    2nd +2 +3 +0 +3 Second golemaic weapon, Wake of wreckage, Harder better faster stronger +1
    3nd +3 +3 +1 +3 Adaptable body, Third construction material, Harder better faster stronger +1
    4th +4 +4 +1 +4 Third golemaic weapon, Betatype, Harder better faster stronger +1
    5th +5 +4 +1 +4 Abhor nature, Hungry for more, Harder better faster stronger +1
    Skills: The half-wrought horror gains (4+Intelligence Modifier) skills per level. The half-wrought horror class skills (and key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft(any) (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle animal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (any) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move silently (Dex), Profession (any), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Use Magic Device (Cha).

Weapon Proficiencies: The half-wrought horror gains proficiency with any special or natural attacks offered by its class features, it does not however gain any new armor proficiencies.

The danger, revisited: While there is some method to the madness that creates a half-golem, creating a half-wrought horror is best left to those who couldn’t tell a hawk from a handsaw regardless of what direction the wind is blowing. Even half golems who have been overcome by their elemental spirits are at risk during the highly invasive surgery that implants yet another elemental controlled limb. The shock resulting from the connection between the character’s inner essence, which is already unstable from the previous grafting, and the second Elemental Spirit animating the Golem’s limb can prove even more hazardous than the first attempt. Upon taking the 1st level of half-wrought horror the character must make a Will save (DC 20) after the 24 hour ritual required to implant the Golem’s limb. Other people can help the operation process by attempting a DC 20 Heal check, (This assistance is non-stressful and fairly simple, and these assistants may take 10). Each successful Heal check grants the Character a +2 bonus to its Will save at the end of the Ritual. These assistants must partake in the 24 hour ritual. People wanting to play safe will hire several experts to assist the ritual, however safe and half-wrought horror hardly ever go hand in hand.

Succeeding on this save means the implantation went as smoothly as it could, which isn’t much, and the character suffers no negative penalties from the danger.

If a the half-golem fails the danger revisited, the Elemental Spirit animating the Golem limb makes an attempt take over the Character's body, or begins to clash with the Elemental Spirit already attempting to take over the character’s body. The character’s type changes to construct, if it wasn’t already, gaining all of the following construct traits. The Golem’s limb expands inside the Character’s body producing a horrible internal amalgam of minerals and flesh. The character permanently loses 6 Charisma as that it partially loses its own identity, or drifts even further from it. If this would reduce the half-wrought horror to 0 Charisma it becomes a mindless rampaging construct that attacks everything on its path until destroyed.

Construct Traits of the Failed Half-golem
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Failed Half-golem has no Constitution score.
    The Failed Half-golem gain Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    The Failed Half-golem has immunity to all mind-affecting effects.
    The Failed Half-golem has immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects.
    The Failed Half-golem is not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, ability damage, fatigue or exhaustion, or energy drain.
    The Failed Half-golem cannot heal damage on its own, although it can be healed.
    The Failed Half-golem has immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
    The Failed Half-golem is not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
    The Failed Half-golem, having had its body and soul befouled by that of which animated to slap-shod limb, cannot be raised or resurrected. It can only be revived by a wish, limited wish, or miracle spell or effect.
    The Failed Half-golem does not breathe, eat, or sleep.

Some people actually consider failing this danger to be the true success, as they believe flesh to be weak, and would rather fully embrace the artificial side of the half-golem, so they choose to automatically fail their saves. There are dark rituals where people who believe that the Failed half-golem is an improvement attempt to encourage a ‘Failure’ this functions exactly as the Heal Checks to Aid the process, but instead impose a -2 penalty on the Character’s Will save at the end of the 24 Ritual.

The grafting ritual is extremely jarring and quite lethal to subjects of insufficient power. If a second golemaic limb is grafted to the body of a Half-golem that either has not completed all 3 levels of half golem, or that does not have HD, the graph fails horribly endangering the very life of the subject. If the subject passes the Will save associated with The Danger Revisited their body simply rejects the graft, and the subject suffers 1d4 points of constitution burn. If such a subject fails this Will save they die out right.

Second construction material (Su): At first level the half-wrought horror gains a new construction material ability based on the new material used to graft the half-wrought horror’s second limb. (See Half-golem construction materials.) This material must be different than the material type the character used for its half-golem levels. The Half-wrought horror does not gain any of other benefits from this material at this level (including Golemaic weapon or Prototype.)

If the half-wrought horror has two material types that increase an armor bonus of the same type (Such as natural armor bonus, or deflection armor bonus) do not add these bonuses together, instead the half-wrought horror’s armor bonus equals 1.5 the ability modifier the material type’s armor bonus is based on. If for some reason these two abilities are based on two different ability scores use the higher of the two. (I.e. a Half Stone Golem takes Iron as their second material, their bonus to natural armor is equal to 1.5 their constitution modifier.)

Harder, better, faster, stronger (Ex): The half-wrought horror’s specialty is personal artificial improvement and the ability to do it better, and in that regard its work is never over. At every level of half-wrought horror the half-golem may improve any single ability score, each level the half-golem may increase a different ability score if it so chooses. An increase to any of the physical ability scores represents a physical enhancement, where as an increase to a mental ability score represents a coming to peace with the elemental spirit and drawing mental power from its essence.

Clash of the elementals (Su): At first level the half-wrought horror essentially has three spirits trying to control it, its original spirit, the first elemental spirit, and the new one. While this struggle generally drives even the most successful of half-wrought horrors mad, can be quite beneficial. Once per day, after failing its save against a mind-effecting ability the half-wrought horror may elect to go berserk rather than be subjected to the effects of the ability. When one spirit-mind is weak the others may take over. While berserking the half-wrought horror is completely immune to all mind-effecting abilities, will continuously attempt to attack or destroy anything within its vicinity without discretion. This lasts a number of rounds equal to the half-golem’s constitution modifier (or the wisdom modifier if it has become a construct.) This ability may be used twice per day at third level.

Second golemaic weapon (Su): At second level the half-wrought horror gains a new golemaic weapon based on the new material used to graft the half-wrought horror’s second limb. (See Half-golem Golemaic Weapons.) This weapon must be of the same material type as its second construction material ability granted at 1st level of the half-wrought horror.

Wake of wreckage (Ex): At second level the half-wrought horror becomes a force of destruction and ruin. Its own construct like ties gives its body a strange strength when damaging objects. A half-wrought horror of second level or higher ignores half the hardness of all objects (or creatures that have hardness such as Animated Objects).

Adaptable Body (Ex) By third level the half-wrought horror laughs in the face of danger, their body has been thoroughly ravaged, and their spirit is now a great mess of elementals and what may have once been a soul. The half-wrought horror undergoes the same ritual outlined in the The Danger and The Danger Revisited however there is no chance the half-wrought horror will fail their save, unless they will the process to fail. The shock resulting from the third connection between the character’s inner essence and a new force is not only familiar, it can become addicting. Further, no limb needs to be removed from the half-wrought horror in order to graft a new ‘limb’ to the body of the subject. The half-wrought horror’s body readily accepts a new material to draw power from, hungry for a new fragmented spirit to add to its whip-stitched collection. (This does not grant the half-wrought horror a new limb, such as a third arm, as that the half-wrought horror’s body readily consumes the new limb and mixes it with what they already have.) Further the half-wrought horror may accept graft items from any source without penalty, allowing the half-wrought horror to have multiple grafts of different types, such as undead, illithid, and fiendish grafts.(See Lords of Madness p.216, Libris Mortis p. 79 , and Fiend Folio p.207.) Further the Half-wrought horror may select one construction material and one golemaic weapon to be extraordinary rather than supernatural. It may not change this decision after it has been made, or until it has the Hungry for more ability.

Third construction material (Su): At third level the half-wrought horror gains a new construction material ability based on the new material used to graft the half-wrought horror’s third limb. (See Half-golem construction materials.) This material must be different than the material type the character used for its half-golem levels, and for their second construction material. The Half-wrought horror does not gain any of other benefits from this material at this level (including Golemaic weapon or Prototype.)

If the half-wrought horror has two material types that increase an armor bonus of the same type (Such as natural armor bonus, or deflection armor bonus) do not add these bonuses together, instead the half-wrought horror’s armor bonus equals 1.5 the ability modifier the material type’s armor bonus is based on. If for some reason these two abilities are based on two different ability scores use the higher of the two. (I.e. a Half Stone Golem takes Iron as their second material, their bonus to natural armor is equal to 1.5 their constitution modifier.)

If the half-wrought horror has three material types that increase an armor bonus of the same type (Such as natural armor bonus, or deflection armor bonus) do not add these bonuses together, instead the half-wrought horror’s armor bonus equals 2x the ability modifier the material type’s armor bonus is based on. If for some reason these three abilities are based on two or three different ability scores use the higher of the two or three. (I.e. a Half Stone Golem takes Iron as their second material, and Brass as their third, their bonus to natural armor is equal to 3x their constitution modifier.)

Betatype: At fourth level the half-wrought horror becomes even more magically resistant. The half-wrought horror selects one of its two materials, it gains the benefits of prototype body for that new material. It may not change this selection after making it. Further upon reaching 15 HD the half-wrought horror’s spell resistance improves to spell immunity, with all the normal caveats from betatype and prototype. If it does not have prismatic construction material, prismatic prototype does nothing (this becomes relevant with Hungry for more).

Third Weapon: At fourth level the half-wrought horror gains a new golemaic weapon based on the new material used to graft the half-wrought horror’s third limb. (See Half-golem Golemaic Weapons.) This weapon must be of the same material type as its third construction material ability granted at 3rd level of the half-wrought horror.

Abhor Nature: At fifth level the Half-wrought horror is no longer a simple construct or creature with a terrible graft, it is a walking abomination of chaotic energies and bizarre anatomy. It defies nature to the point of becoming an aberrant construct. An aberrant construct is similar in many ways to a living construct, except in a few key differences. Further the Half-wrought horror may, temporarily, throw parts of its fragmented soul into nearby objects. By giving up the benefits of one material type and golemaic weapon the half-wrought horror may use an effect similar to http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/animateObjects.htm]animate objects[/url], as a standard action, to animate 1 object. (The Half-wrought horror’s HD is its effective caster level). This effect lasts as long as the Half-wrought horror wills it to, but as long as it is in effect, that half-wrought horror does not gain the benefits of the construction material and golemaic weapon it used to animate the object. The half-wrought horror may have up to 3 of these animated objects at any given time under its control.

Aberrant Construct Subtype
    Spoiler
    Show

An Aberrant Construct has the following game effects:
    - An aberrant construct has Darkvision 60 ft.
    - Unlike other constructs, an Aberrant Construct has a Constitution score. However unlike living creatures the Aberrant Construct does not die when its constitution score is reduced to 0, instead its constitution score becomes - instead of being reduced to zero.
    -Unlike other constructs, an aberrant Construct does not necessarily have low-light vision or darkvision.
    -Unlike other constructs, an aberrant Construct is not immune to mind-affecting spells and abilities.
    -Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, effects that cause the sickened condition, and energy drain.
    -An aberrant Construct cannot heal damage naturally.
    - Unlike other constructs, aberrant constructs are subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, and death effects or necromancy effects.
    - Aberrant constructs can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs. Damage dealt to an aberrant construct can be healed by a cure spell or a repair damage spell, for example, and an aberrant construct is vulnerable to disable construct and harm. Unlike normal living constructs, spells from the healing subschool and supernatural abilities that cure hit point damage or ability damage provide their full normal effect to an aberrant construct. Further spells and effects that would cure undead, and damage the aberrant, only deal ½ damage to an aberrant construct.
    - The unusual physical construction of aberrant construct makes them vulnerable to certain spells and
    effects that normally don’t affect living creatures. An aberrant construct takes damage from heat metal and chill metal as if he were wearing metal armor. Likewise, an aberrant construct is affected by repel metal or stone as if he were wearing metal armor. An aberrant construct is repelled by repel wood. The iron in the body of an aberrant construct makes it vulnerable to rusting grasp. The creature takes 2d6 points of damage from the spell (Reflex half; save DC 14 + caster’s ability modifier). An aberrant construct takes the same damage from a rust monster’s touch (Reflex DC 17 half). Spells such as stone to flesh, stone shape, warp wood, and wood shape affect objects only, and thus cannot be used on the stone and wood parts of an aberrant construct.
    - An aberrant construct responds slightly differently from other living creatures when reduced to 0 hit points. An aberrant construct with 0 hit points is disabled, just like an aberrant creature. It can only take a single move action or standard action in each round, but strenuous activity does not risk further injury. When its hit points are less than 0 and greater than -10, an aberrant Construct is inert. It is unconscious and helpless, and he cannot perform any actions. However, an inert aberrant construct does not lose additional hit points unless more damage is dealt to it, as with an aberrant creature that is stable.
    - An aberrant construct at ‘-’ Constitution cannot be cured (or injured) by cure wounds spells, in addition it is destroyed when it reaches 0 hp. The aberrant construct loses all of the benefits it gains from being an ‘aberrant’ construct, but does not lose the drawbacks. A Raise Dead or similar spell (without the diamond component or experience damage) is required to bring an aberrant Construct’s Constitution modifier back to 1.
    - An aberrant construct can be raised or resurrected.
    - An aberrant construct does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, but it can still benefit from the effects of
    consumable spells and magic items such as heroes’ feast and potions.
    - Although aberrant constructs do not need to sleep, wizards still requires rest for 8 hours before preparing spells.
    -Spells and abilities that function on, or differently on, aberrations treats an aberrant construct as an aberration.

Hungry for more: At fifth level the half-wrought horror is insatiable. It craves new grafts and greater power. It wishes to savor new spirit shards, and grow as the abomination that it is.
    By paying 1,000 gp it may undergo an 8 hour process in which it may change out any one of its three golemaic weapons or materials to that of another half-golem’s type. These do not need to match (material to weapon) but the half-wrought horror does not gain any benefits of having two of the same weapon or material. (The construction cost may be ignored if the half-wrought horror has access to a viable limb of an appropriate type. The Craft Construct feat reduces this cost by 50%, the Graft Flesh [Construct] feat reduces this cost by an additional 50%.) Alternatively using 8 hours of time and work the half-wrought horror may change which of its golemaic weapon or construction material is extraordinary, it requires all 8 hours of work to change one of these two abilities.

PLAYING A HALF-WROUGHT HORROR
    Power? Science? Magic? Shock? Whatever it is, you’ve become addicted. The cost doesn’t matter, you need more. Maybe you become a construct hunter, finding malevolent or haywire constructs and put them to ‘good use,’ maybe you learn magic and start making more constructs to cannibalize. Whatever it is, you find a way to take new limbs and add them to your body.

Combat: Half-wrought horrors come from many walks of life, but usually end up going down the ‘smash and take’ route due to their increased physical natures. However, the versatility of the golem’s creation makes the half-wrought horror a versatile combatant. While golems composed of strong and heavy materials are likely to wade into battle slam-fists a swinging, a highly magical and sleek model may avoid melee combat preferring to work behind the scenes of things. The only common factor among half-wrought horrors seems to be that the rules of nature no longer apply.

Advancement: Advancement is simple for the half-wrought horror. Steal, buy, make, find, or otherwise obtain the components, and surgically attach them to the body. Rinse and repeat.

Resources: Beyond the obvious need for limbs the half-wrought horror’s need for resources often include maintenance tools, and a construct savvy wizard or artificer. Artificers with a curious streak may even find half-wrought horrors to be fascinating beautiful creatures exemplifying the power of creation. Friends are hard to come by for the dangerous and wreckage prone half-wrought horror, so it’s best to take them where they can be found. While weapons, and occasionally armor are unimportant to the half-wrought horror, a heavy cloak and items of disguising can go a long way in a small town.

Fluff
    Spoiler
    Show

Half-wrought horror in the world.
    I tell you what, friend of mine, skip the charm person spell. You’ll be a lot better off without it. ~Erincrantz, high-elf bard speaking to his enchanter friend.

Dear sweet Mechanus, what have you done to your poor body? That’s just not right. ~Thrrlpgsh’ly illithid renegade mastermaker speaking to a half-wrought horror.

It’s probably for the best that the half-wrought horror is not common enough for it to have a general niche in any given world. However, they easily fill the position of ‘What hath science/magic wrought’ and ‘The failed super soldier’ quite nicely. Half-wrought horrors tend to be viewed, as their name implies, unfinished abominations of magitec. Their creation is often frowned upon, and may involve legal consequences. Whether intended or not, the half-wrought horror is a monstrous creation, that may even offend the existence of aberrations.

Daily Life: The half-wrought horror’s daily life is either that of an adventurer or that of a jackal, and one may wonder what the difference truly is. No half-wrought horror does terribly well in one location for long periods of time, unless the location is one that accepts and delights in the half-wrought horror’s creation, and even those begin to question the exact validity of the monster.

Notables:

‘I was a man once’
    Geoffrey Strongarm, was born to a family of dirt farmers, and so would too have been if he had not taken a terrible kick from the town mule at the yearly fair. His right arm was terribly disfigured, the bones set wrong and he couldn’t so much as lift a tool as he could learn to fly. Being too much of a burden on his family to support, he left for the nearby city of Thunderbrush to seek an honest job. He encountered none.
    Desperate for money he agreed to a shady bargain with a local half-lunatic gnomish mage, he would stand in for ‘magical testing’ for appropriate pay. And good pay it was too, for little work. However the experimentation left him disfigured in odd ways, and often sick from arcane pollution. He turned to alcohol, long walks, and back-alley philosophy to dull the passing time, of which he had plenty of. He spoke to the other drunken wastrel philosophers often speaking of the troubles with the city, and how if only there was a way for an old (or young and crippled) person to turn them around.
    One fine and rather sunny Thursday, experiment day, Geoffrey Strongarm’s employer’s lab collapsed, miserably, and due to the heavy arcane pollution involved, it was assumed that both he and Strongarm were lost to the wreckage.
    However, strange occurrences have been taking place in Thunderbrush as of late.
    The local smuggling ring has been having troubles pressing their usual employers, some candy-faced adventurer keeps showing up in an old tattered cloak, and smashing the living abyss out of any of their more violent agents. How can they tell it’s an adventurer, and not some local brute, they claim no non-adventurer has that strength and access to spells at the same time.
    Muggings have dropped off significantly, and the town guard have been thankful for the local gang of vigilantes who they have begun to call ‘the tattered cloaks,’ because there is no way it could be one person who has saved countless nobles (and beggars) from the nightly thieves.
    However it does seem vandalism has increased the occasional statue will go missing a limb or two. As of yet no one has been able to get a good look at what is becoming known as the Thunderbrush Phantom, and as that it doesn’t seem to speak, the local officials are assuming it is more or less a benevolent presence, though the local sculptors might disagree.

‘Judge me by my eyes, do you?’
    Thrimble JustthrimbleandnotanythingelseI’mnotlikethoseother gnomeswiththeirimpossiblylongnamesdoIlooklikeanorm algnometoyounogood Justthrimle may have a background story, but if he does, there is no reason to believe that even he remembers it, and it is even more unlikely that if he did, he’d be willing to share it. Thrimble insists that he was born fire, living fire, and then something forced him to be a gnome, which is a race he loathes with all the fire in his soul, which appears to be plenty. Thrimble is the quintessential monster on a mountain, not far from an old gnomish ruin. Some claim it was Thrimble himself who ruined the city, but by judging from wreckage, it was a creature, or group of creatures much larger than the mad-construct of the mountain. Thrimble lives in his mountain eerie, leaving to hunt, crushing any gnome like creatures it finds, and taking any ‘viable’ materials he encounters. Though Thrimble does not need to eat to survive it is not uncommon to find his face smeared with blood. Thirmble’s left eye, half of his face, shoulder blade, and, well, wings are those of a demon, several demons, stitched together. If that wasn’t enough, the right side of his face and arm seem to be eternally burning, and though his body is difficult to identify as any particular race, its shape is small, and he seems to wear gnomen clothing. Thrimble has no problems with larger races, particularly races that look scary to it, and aren’t hauling around anything that looks ‘salvageable,’ he may even make trade with the passing ogre, elf, or human, but woe befall a gnome, dwarf or passing warforged, for Thrimble’s ire and greed are nigh immeasurable.

Organizations: The Winsterville Chaotech University was organized some time after the discovery of Warforged. ‘If constructs can be given sentience, there is no reason for sentience to not be given construct,’ is their founder’s motto, and their way of looking at life. Chaotech was discovered by the gnomes of some forgotten mountain and it has been perfected at the WCU, by Humans, though the WCU is not discriminatory, they are rather secretive in their practices. They do not wish to be disturbed by outsider’s petty ‘morals’ or desire for ‘results.’ The Chaotech goal is to learn, not to produce success, and even its professors and longstanding students are eager to uncover a new secret. The university is located a day’s travel by horse from a large metropolitan area known as Thunderbrush, and conveniently close to a set of mountains where an old gnomish society once revered Chaotech, until (as the Head Professor of History, Abstract Guessing As A Means Of Divination, and Art believes) their own desire for results overcame their desire to learn, and they built something that was both successful and too big.
    Lately a new addition to the Staff, a young half-elf named Eideria has made great strides in the labs of giving construct to sentience. She calls her process halfwrighting, a build on her (secretly adored) predecessor’s Halfgoleming. She believes, and has proven, that subjects can indeed survive a second round of halfgoleming, and not only can the subject survive the ordeal, the ordeal can fail miserably offering all sorts of new questions to be answered, and creating a Construct from sentience. After her discovery, she has been quite busy ‘talking’ with her predecessor behind closed doors ‘about a published report and field study of the experiment’. Though the rumors seem to indicate little progress has been made in their ‘discussions,’ and as such their frequency has recently increased.

Half-wrought Horror Feat
    Spoiler
    Show

CADDY GRAFT
    Prerequisites: Hungry for more class ability.
    Benefits: By paying 5x the cost of grafting a construction material or golemaic weapon, the half-wrought horror may create a ‘detachable’ graft. When or if this graft is removed by Hungry for more it may be saved, and reattached later at no price.
    Special As with Hungry for more The construction cost may be ignored if the half-wrought horror has access to a viable limb of an appropriate type. The Craft Construct feat reduces this cost by 50%, the Graft Flesh [Construct] feat reduces this cost by an additional 50%.

FOURTH CONSTRUCTION MATERIAL
    Prerequisites: Hungry for more class ability, 12+ HD.
    Benefits: The Half-wrought horror may have up to 4 construction materials now, however it still must graft its fourth material to itself using the Hungry for more class ability.
    Special: If the half-wrought horror has both Fourth Construction material and Fourth Golemaic Weapon feats, it may animate 1 more object with its Abhor Nature ability.

FOURTH GOLEMAIC WEAPON
    Prerequisites: Hungry for more class ability, 15+ HD.
    Benefits: The Half-wrought horror may have up to 4 golemaic weapons now, however it still must graft its fourth material to itself using the Hungry for more class ability.
    Special: If the half-wrought horror has both Fourth Construction material and Fourth Golemaic Weapon feats, it may animate 1 more object with its Abhor Nature ability.

DELTATYPE
    Prerequisites: Hungry for more class ability, Fourth Construction material, Fourth Golemaic Weapon, 19+ HD,
    Benefits: The Half-wrought horror may select a third prototype energy to gain. If it does not have prismatic construction material, prismatic prototype does nothing.

A Chump’s Twopence:
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluffs… roughshod, but there.
    I wrote that whole dang Geoffrey Strong arm story before I realized the cruel irony of his name, and his exact plight.
    I have no idea where I got the idea that a creature cannot accept more than one type of graft, is that rule outlined anywhere, or an old house rule stuck in my head?
    Also, is there a graft source I am missing? (Fiend Folio, Libris Mortis, and Lords of Madness)
    Note that Hungry for more does not allow for more than 3 construction material types or 3 golemaic weapons, however Caddy Graft does allow for easy interchangeability.
    Material component prices relatively arbitrary. Look good to everyone else?
    Last edited by AugustNights; 2014-04-24 at 08:24 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

That's fairly creepy.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by radmelon View Post
    That's fairly creepy.
    Why, thankyou!
    I had intended the Half-wrought Horror to be, I mean, it's not only a 3/2 golem, it's also got a soul/spirit salad going on within the very roughshod, albeit strong, shell it has.

19. - Top - End - #49

ClericGuy

Bloody brilliant my good man. Absolutely terrifying. You are correct in normally a person normally only have 1 type of graft, be it dragon, illithid, undead, ect. Otherwise they go insane from the co-mingling magics or die.

Quick correction, on your third construct material it says

"At third level the half-wrought horror gains a new construction material ability based on the new material used to graft the half-wrought horror’s second limb."

Shouldn't that say third limb at the end?

Also, you might want to consider the effect of resurrection on this character. Normally it just puts the soul back into the body but there are several problems here.

1.) Would the person face The Danger again if he was brought back before level 3 as his soul would leave but the elemental's doesn't.

2.) If the elemental dies with him, would it come back when raised? Rules say that outsiders cannot unless with a specific spell. Is the elemental's soul so entwined with the HWH that it gets to piggy back back to the living?

3.) What would happen if Trap the Soul was used on a Half-golem or HWH? Would the elemental's inside of him go with it or would they suddenly find themselves in control of the body?
    Last edited by jguy; 2010-12-29 at 10:49 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

Bloody brilliant my good man. Absolutely terrifying. You are correct in normally a person normally only have 1 type of graft, be it dragon, illithid, undead, ect. Otherwise they go insane from the co-mingling magics or die.

Quick correction, on your third construct material it says

"At third level the half-wrought horror gains a new construction material ability based on the new material used to graft the half-wrought horror’s second limb."

Shouldn't that say third limb at the end?
    Thanks.
    Good catch.
    Fixed.

Also, you might want to consider the effect of resurrection on this character. Normally it just puts the soul back into the body but there are several problems here.

1.) Would the person face The Danger again if he was brought back before level 3 as his soul would leave but the elemental's doesn't.

2.) If the elemental dies with him, would it come back when raised? Rules say that outsiders cannot unless with a specific spell. Is the elemental's soul so entwined with the HWH that it gets to piggy back back to the living?

3.) What would happen if Trap the Soul was used on a Half-golem or HWH? Would the elemental's inside of him go with it or would they suddenly find themselves in control of the body?
    Hmm, something to consider for now to be sure.

1) Personally, I think not. If the elemental is the dominant soul the player is a construct, and therefor has its own resurrection deal. If the soul is dominant, the elemental spirit has mixed with it, leaving it a living creature, if the creature's soul is elsewhere so are the elemental patchwork. Once it becomes an aberrant construct the spirits and souls are so mixed and meshed up it's more or less a soul. So in short, the fragmented soul is treated as 1 soul/spirit of the dominant type.

2) Yes. If the creature has an elemental spirit dominant 'soul' it is a construct, not an outsider. Just like any other golem. If the creature can be resurrected then all the spirits/souls piggyback to life, yes.

3) That is an interesting proposal, but as it stands I'm sticking with 1 essence made of many parts. But I might make a feat that uses Clash of the Elementals to allow for berserk shenanigans vs. trap the soul, and maybe some other [Death] effects...hmmm....

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

With the natural armour stacking, what about if the materials didn't change the modifier, so it's just 3 cases of half con mod? Does it still give double con mod to AC?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Bloody brilliant, bone-chilling, warped genius!

...does the above sound like a British book critic to anyone else?

I'd like to know were you got the image for that. I'm trying to figure out what construction materials the pictured being has chosen.
    Shackle-lock, prismatic, and... far as I can tell, either flesh, hangman, web, or junk.

I think a new fad might be started soon. either creating images for combinations, or combinations for images. I'm starting to wonder what a sand/mud/magmacore golem would look like.

Extended Signature
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

I really like the concepts you've provided in this thread. I'm planning on giving one of my NPCs a mithril arm, ala this picture. It gives me a way to encourage the high-magic feel of my setting, and so I thank you for writing it up.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Firbolg in the Playground

Can we request types of half-golem if we stat up the golem? I'm planning to stat up a bone golem soon for a campaign and a half-bone golem is too good to pass up.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    With the natural armour stacking, what about if the materials didn't change the modifier, so it's just 3 cases of half con mod? Does it still give double con mod to AC?
    Huh... that may actually be quite simple. Let me think on that.

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Bloody brilliant, bone-chilling, warped genius!

...does the above sound like a British book critic to anyone else?
    I have never met or read one. So... maybe?
    Also, thanks!

[QUOTE=flabort;10072659]
    I'd like to know were you got the image for that. I'm trying to figure out what construction materials the pictured being has chosen.
    Shackle-lock, prismatic, and... far as I can tell, either flesh, hangman, web, or junk. [QUOTE]

No idea, friend, but safe to assume there are several options available to such a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by MageSparrowhawk View Post
    I really like the concepts you've provided in this thread. I'm planning on giving one of my NPCs a mithril arm, ala this picture. It gives me a way to encourage the high-magic feel of my setting, and so I thank you for writing it up.
    Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    Can we request types of half-golem if we stat up the golem? I'm planning to stat up a bone golem soon for a campaign and a half-bone golem is too good to pass up.
    Certainly!
    I love requests, point me towards stats, numbers, and flavor and I'll put something together...
    I only recently realized I have passed up both the astral construct and the psionic golem. These issues (along with the issue of armor and hellfire) will be remedied when I have a proper computer.

26. - Top - End - #56

Magic of Incarnum has a couple of golems as well, i'll stat up the bone golem soon and edit it into the post.

EDIT: Here's what i have, modify it as you see fit
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bone Golem
    Medium Construct
    Hit Dice:
    8d10+20 (68 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 40ft
    Armor Class: 20 (+3 Dex, +7 Natural)
    Base Atk/Gpl: +6/+9
    Attack: Claw +9 Melee (2d4+3/19-20/x3, Piercing or Slashing) or Bone Missile +9 Ranged (2d6/x2, Piercing)
    Full Attack: 2 Claws +9 Melee (2d4+3/19-20/x3, Piercing or Slashing) and Tail +4 Melee (2d6+1/x2, Bludgeon), or Bone Missile +9/+4 Ranged (2d6/x2, Piercing)
    Space/Reach: 10ft./10ft.
    Special Attacks: Bone Missile
    Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Damage Reduction 5/Magic & Bludgeon, Magic Immunity, Augment Critical (Claws)
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +3
    Abilities: Str 16, Dex 16, Con -, Int -, Wis 12, Cha 1
    Skills:
    Feats:
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 6
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement: 8-18 HD (Medium), 19-28 HD (Large)
    Level Adjustment:

Bone golems are built from the bones of several creatures tied together with wire, sinew, and tendons, often resembling the skeletons of exotic creatures or animated bone armor. They are typically created because they are one of the few golems with built in ranged weapons and are one of the smaller and lighter golems. Bone golems are most common made by necromancers as ranged support to other kinds of golems or hoards of undead, and are often paired with shadesteel golems.\

A bone golem’s tail has a spine at the tip that can be fired at an enemy before regenerating to be fired again. This tail is also able to be used in melee combat, albeit clumsily.

Bone golems typically stand near 6ft, some more advanced bone golems standing near 8ft, and weigh 150lbs, although the advanced golems typically weigh anywhere from 200-250lbs.

Combat
    Bone golems have a natural instinct programmed into them, allowing them some semblance of strategy. They typically start combat with their bone missiles then close with the enemy with claw and tail.

Bone Missile (Ex): A bone golem has a specialized magical “muscle” in their tails that can be used to launch a bone-like dart that is generated within the tip of the tail. This acts like a manufactured weapon, allowing iterative attacks on a full attack. The bone missile has a range increment of 80ft and deals 2d6 points of piercing damage.

Augment Critical (Ex): A bone golem’s claws are particularly sharp, scoring a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20, and dealing triple damage on a critical hit.

Immunity to Magic (Ex): A bone golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.
    Any effect that uses positive energy damages a bone golem as if it were an undead and any effect that deals negative energy damage bypasses the bone golem’s immunity to magic and heals the bone golem as if it were an undead.

Construction
    The parts that make up a flesh golem must come from the corpses of medium sized humanoids or large animals and cleaned of flesh, usually by boiling the bones. Special unguents and bindings worth 500gp are also required.
    Assembling the body requires a DC 15 Craft (Weaving) check or a DC 15 Heal check.
    CL 8th; Craft Construct, animate dead, minor creation, geas/quest, limited wish, caster must be at least 8th level: Price 19,000gp; Cost 10,000gp + 760xp
    Last edited by EdroGrimshell; 2014-10-25 at 06:45 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57

Volt: Okay, back home, and little more clear of mind. Materials that do not increase the Natural Armor Bonus to Armor Class (Or Deflection Bonus) taken in the Half-Wrought Horror do not increase Natural armor class.
    As such having the three materials Clay, Flesh and Mud the Half-Wrought Horror's Bonus to natural armor class would remain +1/2 constitution modifier.

EdroGrimshell: Half Bone Golem is up! Commentary is appreciated.

Looking at psionic constructs, not looking forward to MOI constructs... don't tell me there are Tome of Battle constructs... are there?
    And as always, willing to take requests and critiques!

28. - Top - End - #58

I like what you did with it, very nice. I think that adding the darts was a nice touch as well. Thanks
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    I like what you did with it, very nice. I think that adding the darts was a nice touch as well. Thanks
    I like to think "If I played X: I would want to... can I make rules for that?" Free darts at a rate of 24 a day... not so overpowered, especially if they aren't allowed to resale.

On that note, three more Half-Golems in the works...Astral Construct Turning out to be a lot more fun than I had imagined it would be.

30. - Top - End - #60

Alright, Added the Psionic and Incarnum constructs.
    And cleaned up some of the poor language from earlier.

Here are some thoughts on the new golems
    Half Astral Golem
    So the astral construct is VERY versatile, however, all of its abilities are weaker than those presented by the other Half Golems. As such it makes a great utility choice, but cannot fully emulate every half-golem.
    ~Mobility and Spring Attack: Yes they can be combined to get a crazy base land speed, no I don’t mind, because Base land speed is easy to twink out, and does very little. You can’t out run spells. And you can’t fool owls.
    ~Pounce ability ≠ Pounce. I did this because Pounce is a very powerful ability to give a creature capable of wielding manufactured weapons.
    ~Poison Touch: Did not offer my usual ‘Poison Can Be Acid’ ability to this aspect of the Half Astral Golem, because she’s already versatile enough, Cap’n, she cannae take anae-more!
    ~Spring Attack: Note that the Half Astral Golem’s Spring attack only functions with its natural slam attack.

Half Crystal Golem
    Prototype energy with this guy was tricky, because it’s not strong enough to merit no energy healing, but the monster entry offers no insight into any energy that it might absorb, I don’t even know what sort of elemental/spirit is contained in that crystal shell. I settled on Fire after tossing Acid around for a little bit. Honestly at first I tried to create a ‘Psychic Energy’ type, but that was messy and super complicated, and at the end of the day hardly worth the effort. Might consider giving it a ‘Powers of the Telepathy division heal it as if they were…’ sort of deal, but uncertain if I will get around to it, thoughts?

Fewmet Golem
    WOAH! I left out a ‘per HD’ making it’s radiation of energy damage seem stupidly week, that’s the difference between 10d4 and 1d4 at level 10.

Half Incarnum Golem
    Using bleach to clean out that incarnumy taste in my mouth (sorry, I don’t like incarnum).
    Went with Heal/repair for prototype energy, because IIRC Incarnum is soul-stuffs, and I figure if a creature is animated on soul-stuffs cure spells oughta function on it similar to a warforged. Because of the Adaptively of ‘damage type’ the Half Incarnum Golem’s adaptive slam discharges when striking any other target rather than just another living (and I’ve added undead because they have souls too, kind of) target.

Half Midnight Golem
    Alright I’m super rusty on my MOI stuff, mostly because I’ve never, never, never been too keen on its flavor, though I have been tossing around converting my VOP to a simpler Totemist thing, but I digress. I wasn’t certain which of the basic MOI classes represented inherent raw incarnum power (as the sorcerer does for arcane energy), so if Totemist was a bad call, please let me know. Actually if you think my Incarnum Golems are wonky at all let me know, because I am Incarnadumb as a result of my distaste for the system.

Half Psi-Crystal
    That was fun.
    I’ve never looked at ‘Limb’ to mean strictly arm or leg as far at the Half golem is concerned, and I feel that this construction material covers that. Why not a hand (psicrystals have those wonky spider leg things, could be fingers) or an eye, an ear? Maybe some other crazy creative ability.
    Speaking of abilities I’m not certain how I feel about a L.1 Psionic Power, it seems underpowered compared to the others, thoughts?

Half Soul-fused Golem
    I know that this is a template for golems, but solder it, the flavor text says that the magical incarnum ghost can posses animate objects, so I’m ruling that this crazy band of people who are going around fusing limbs of mortal creatures with constructs know a way to take silly normal materials fuse an incarnum soul to it, then glue it to the subjects face/arm-socket/hip-bone/any other ‘limb’ place. Is the bump to essentia pool to high, too low? I have no clue.
    Also, on Soulmeld like ability weapon… did I royally screw that up? Is allowing for Dissolving spittle to be a hand chakra over powered?
    To be honest I’m not pleased with the Half Soul-fused golem’s weapon, if anyone has any ideas or has seen any interesting Soul-meld homebrew that might inspire me in this regard I would totally give 1 internet cookie.

Next Step: Comb through the MMI-MMV, followed by the FF, FC:I and FC:II for constructs in general.

As always, feedback, comments, peaches, requests, happy thoughts, and individuals’ 2 cents/pence are always welcome and appreciated!

Edit: Also, is it just me or does the Half Junk Golem need a power bump?
    Last edited by AugustNights; 2011-01-15 at 07:18 PM.