New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

eek Umbrella Corporation Meet Menzobarranzan, Menzobarranzan meet Umbrella corporation.

So as part of a game I am going to use a home-brew class and leadership to recreate the umbrella corporation, with some of crack-downs agency thrown in. Run by a male. In menzobarranzan.

You can see how plan B is to take as many of them with us as possible.

As is I want to be able to fight on even terms with houses. Making up for a lack of priestesses with sheer underhandedness and firepower.

Due to DM house-rules I can have both undead leadership and leadership at the same time. I get my full allotment of minions for each. Now how on earth am I supposed to survive as a house-less nobody with a massive number of followers, And I want to be on even terms with Drow houses. At the very least for long enough that my deeds get sung about on the surface and scare the Drow into even greater paranoia.

So what should I cover with my piles of minions? A few are already devoted to being my guys laboratory workers. But the rest need to tend to the company military and the various poison and alchemy shops that I plan on setting up for funding.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Default Re: Umbrella Corporation Meet Menzobarranzan, Menzobarranzan meet Umbrella corporatio

I would recommend that you look at this class. There aren't nearly enough classes based on medical experimentation, even in homebrew. This is one that your ''lab workers'' could have levels in, and/or that you yourself could have levels in. It would certainly give you an analogue to magic of sorts.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178745

It's called the Corpsechem Apothecary and is all about making drugs, vaccines, poisons, and surgical upgrades out of corpses. Pretty neat, imo.

Also check out the Monstrumologist. A link to it can be seen in the first spoiler tag of the Corpsechem Apothecary post.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Umbrella Corporation Meet Menzobarranzan, Menzobarranzan meet Umbrella corporatio

That is the very class I am already using. And monstrumologist has been taken. (The DM is only allowing one of each for fear it would break the setting too much to have more.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Saw this topic and just had to add this, from Cracked.com:

Spoiler
    Show

Umbrella: The Most Wasteful Movie Corporation Ever

and

6 Evil Corporations in Movies With Terrible Business Plans

Umbrella Corp. is #1 in that article. I especially liked:
    "The Business Plan: The what now?

What They Did Wrong: Like any corporation involved in dangerous research, it all boils down to risk versus reward for the Umbrella Corporation. In this case, the risk is zombies, and the reward is zombies."

... That wasn't terribly relevant, but I found it funny and thought I had to share.

Anyway!

I reccomend having a Dread Necromancer or two among your minions, with the Corpsegrafter feat, to soup up your undead minions.

Also, as a last-ditch screw-you to Drow, look into making a Wightocalypse!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Trollman, Tome of Fiends
    That and there is a certain segment of the roleplaying community that cannot differentiate absurdist humor from insanity and will insist on doing annoying things in the name of humor. And we hate those people.
    In my experience, I've found that there are also people who don't realize, or don't care, that others simply don't appreciate their brand of nonsensical humor, even if they're not out of line with their antics.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aether View Post
    Saw this topic and just had to add this, from Cracked.com:

Spoiler
    Show

Umbrella: The Most Wasteful Movie Corporation Ever

and

6 Evil Corporations in Movies With Terrible Business Plans

Umbrella Corp. is #1 in that article. I especially liked:
    "The Business Plan: The what now?

What They Did Wrong: Like any corporation involved in dangerous research, it all boils down to risk versus reward for the Umbrella Corporation. In this case, the risk is zombies, and the reward is zombies."

... That wasn't terribly relevant, but I found it funny and thought I had to share.

Anyway!

I reccomend having a Dread Necromancer or two among your minions, with the Corpsegrafter feat, to soup up your undead minions.

Also, as a last-ditch screw-you to Drow, look into making a Wightocalypse!
    That is a very good Idea.

And adding wightpocalypse to the list of possible ways to implement plan B.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

To avoid being killed, you need to make a show of loving Lloth, and/or have enough to offer the houses that they don't just squish you, and/or be really hard to assault.

You could suggest using your corp to lure in secret worshipers of Kiaransalee and then turn said worshipers over to the priestesses of Lloth to show your loyalty.

Provide undead labor, poisons, wraith assassins, etc. to Matron Mothers when they hire you or demand it.

It would be most Umbrella-ish to have your base under a city, and using Meld Into Stone or Passwall or whatever to have your workers go through seemingly impassable stone to get there would make for decent security, though you'll want Force Walls or Ghostwall Shellac or something to keep incorporeal creatures out. Since your undead minions will be immune to mind-affecting, resetting traps of a mind-affecting spell like Phantasmal Killer would help on security.

If you don't set up right in the middle of Menzobarranzan, consider setting up near an Illithid colony. They can't sense undead, and they'll be a good security measure against anyone who comes looking for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    To avoid being killed, you need to make a show of loving Lloth, and/or have enough to offer the houses that they don't just squish you, and/or be really hard to assault.

You could suggest using your corp to lure in secret worshipers of Kiaransalee and then turn said worshipers over to the priestesses of Lloth to show your loyalty.

Provide undead labor, poisons, wraith assassins, etc. to Matron Mothers when they hire you or demand it.

It would be most Umbrella-ish to have your base under a city, and using Meld Into Stone or Passwall or whatever to have your workers go through seemingly impassable stone to get there would make for decent security, though you'll want Force Walls or Ghostwall Shellac or something to keep incorporeal creatures out. Since your undead minions will be immune to mind-affecting, resetting traps of a mind-affecting spell like Phantasmal Killer would help on security.

If you don't set up right in the middle of Menzobarranzan, consider setting up near an Illithid colony. They can't sense undead, and they'll be a good security measure against anyone who comes looking for you.
    Actually as this is in the distant past (709 DR) So If Kiaransalee is the undead one then they haven't had their big fight yet. Undead are permitted, if frowned upon.

Being overly subservient is bad. The individual shops will bow to authority, but since I plan on having the company proper be secret, and have the goal of ruling Menzobarranzan... You can see how being subservient could undercut that. Now, overt displays of lolth-y awesomeness I can support. Each and every shop will have a small shrine.

Poisons and assassins however will be available. If asked for, Specifically surgically modified monster poison assassins. And since there are going to be poisons shops.

That is a very good Idea. A secret lab underneath Menzobarranzan seems like a good Idea. Along with a separate branch beneath an ilithid colony entirely manned by the living-dead.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

If you haven't already, consider giving your living minions (including yourself) feats from the tomb-tainted soul feat chain, to make allow them to be healed by your dread necromancer(s). It would also reduce/remove their vulnerability to varrious effects you usually need a cleric to fix.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Would not the normal leadership give you minions, be it lower lvl ones from other houses?
    If not, can it?
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Escheton View Post
    Would not the normal leadership give you minions, be it lower lvl ones from other houses?
    If not, can it?
    What do you mean? That some of my people should be housed drow?

For normal leadership I was hoping to gather together the house-less so that it posed less of a security risk.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I figured that you naturally attracted some housemembers with less loyalty to their houses that act as information dealers.

Though I get how you would want defects only to build your own house.
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Escheton View Post
    Yeah, I figured that you naturally attracted some housemembers with less loyalty to their houses that act as information dealers.

Though I get how you would want defects only to build your own house.
    If I want to spy, I'll send a house-cat. Not a drow with conflicted loyalties who may or may not just be there to turn me in.

The potential gain (In information), versus the potential risk (A matron mother finding out about my little laboratory of doom.) Just isn't worth it.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I can just see the leader of this group running a Vhaerunite self-help martial arts class for disgruntled drow males. It is called the Fight Cult. The leader goes by the name Tyler of house do'Urden. : )

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Get involved in poison/magical item/spell trafficking and gain the male shady types and wizards on your side.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Analysis View Post
    I can just see the leader of this group running a Vhaerunite self-help martial arts class for disgruntled drow males. It is called the Fight Cult. The leader goes by the name Tyler of house do'Urden. : )
    House Do'Urden is showing all the signs of being exterminated with extreme prejudice. The PC matrons don't want to deal with Drizzt in a few hundred years.

Quote Originally Posted by Firkraag View Post
    Get involved in poison/magical item/spell trafficking and gain the male shady types and wizards on your side.
    Good, suggestion. I can make potions and poison. I could probably gather a spellbook library.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    I want to be able to fight on even terms with houses. Making up for a lack of priestesses with sheer underhandedness and firepower.
    It's called Jaezred Chaussin.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    It's called Jaezred Chaussin.
    Who?
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Who?
    It's an organization of male drow in Faerun. They basically do exactly what you want.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    It's an organization of male drow in Faerun. They basically do exactly what you want.
    Hideous experimentation, backstabbery, and some bioterrorism, crossed with absorbing noble houses into a massive mercantile conglomerate through sneaky(And violent) means?
    Last edited by druid91; 2010-12-17 at 10:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Why... hello there. I assume you've met my handsome friend here before?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Hideous experimentation, backstabbery, and some bioterrorism, crossed with absorbing noble houses into a massive mercantile conglomerate through sneaky(And violent) means?
    Pretty much that. Except with less bio on their terrorism (though they do use alchemy heavily). They participate in the War of the Spider Queen books.