New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

biggrin I Need Optimization

I need advice for optimizing a Level 10 Gestalt Evil Sor/Wiz. All help is appreciated. 49000 gp available. No BoVD or homebrew.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: I Need Optimization

Quote Originally Posted by Drynwyn View Post
    I need advice for optimizing a Level 10 Gestalt Evil Sor/Wiz. All help is appreciated. 49000 gp available. No BoVD or homebrew.
    Sorceror//Wizard? If you want to be Optimized take Cleric//Wizard

Then you might be a match for my Firebender//Fighter
    call me Dragon

I have left this site for a while. I probablt wont be coming back.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DragonOfUndeath View Post
    Sorceror//Wizard? If you want to be Optimized take Archivist//Wizard
    There, I fixed it for you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll have a signature one day...

Thanks Mr. Saturn for the awesome Pokeatar

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by d13 View Post
    There, I fixed it for you.
    I'll still win. Unlimited AoOs, 20feet reach Longsword made of Fire, 20D6 ranged attacks at +14/+9 for a full round action as many times as I want and any spell that uses the Air or Fire (not descriptors but ANYTHING even a spark or a breeze) I can force a SR check with a DC of 1D20+13, if you fail I can redirect it to anyone.
    call me Dragon

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll still win. Unlimited AoOs, 20feet reach Longsword made of Fire, 20D6 ranged attacks at +14/+9 for a full round action as many times as I want and any spell that uses the Air or Fire (not descriptors but ANYTHING even a spark or a breeze) I can force a SR check with a DC of 1D20+13, if you fail I can redirect it to anyone.
    we are, fortunately, not looking for a challenge here, simply optimizing what he has given us

my suggestion is to take a certain feat from Bastards and Bloodlines. it allows you to choose what your spellcasting works off of for one class, so changing sorcerer's charisma base to intelligence would greatly reduce MAD. I believe it's called Ancients something. Been a long time since I've looked in the book.

past that, look into getting red wizard, as well as master spellthief with 2 levels of spelltheif. suddenly, you have ridiculous caster levels! And with the feat Reserves of Strength you can uncap your spells. I remember seeing threads contemplating the use of this, getting a magic missile spell that did 63k damage on average and a fireball that covered a 5620 mile radius and did over 400d6 damage with no save. the fact that you have more spells to pump up like this is even better.

Also, remember to take wings of cover on the sorcerer side. incredibly useful spell, and cn shut down pretty much anything that requires an attack roll
    Last edited by Halae; 2010-12-14 at 10:28 PM.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Although the Archivist//Wizard would still beat that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelonius View Post
    Well, strangely enough a faction with Reputation 0 and history of past betrayals proved itself to be rather untrustworthy. My hat is off for the Mothriders.

Damn, about 29 stats in one swipe. Since I'm clearly the next I'm booby-trapping every inch of the Maze.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

To eliminate MAD without a third party feat, choose one of your classes (Sorcerer probably) to do solely spells without saves: utility, RTA's, buffs. Let your high stat side do more of the Save or X spells. Finally use Versatile Spellcaster to allow you to switch out in a pinch.

By level 10 you can have metamagic reducers stacked pretty well: Easy Metamagic and Practical Metamagic (Silverbrow human helps here) will reduce the cost of one metamagic feat by two spell levels. Alternatively, try Incantrix, or Ultimate Magus(It will only advance one side, but it provides CL bumps and alternate cost metamagic). Mage of the Arcane Order would also be a good use for your spell slots. You won't have any trouble paying off the spelldebt to have access to any sorcerer/wizard spell.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Archivist/Incarnatrix//Erudite (spell to power) 10 would be pretty optimal I would imagine.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Instead of Wiz//Sorc, you might consider Wiz//Beguiler? Alternatively, Wiz//Archivist as suggested, which gets you basically EVERY spell ever printed, including Paladin spells, Ranger spells, and Druid spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Another vote for wizard//archivist, but an alternative that is still very SAD is wizard//psion.

Beyond that, I can't really advise since I don't study much on the necromantic builds in D&D.

What books are you using for this build, cause this screams of homebrew in my head.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Another vote for wizard//archivist, but an alternative that is still very SAD is wizard//psion.

Beyond that, I can't really advise since I don't study much on the necromantic builds in D&D.

What books are you using for this build, cause this screams of homebrew in my head.
    Another vote for Wizard//Archivist for me

3rd party book about Avatar. I'm a Firebender//Fighter. AoO from CombatReflexes->IntuitiveReflexes*->SuperiorReflexes*
    20feet reach longsword from one of the spells: Burning Blade (Move to create Free to sustain)
    20D6 from Claw of the Phoenix (another spell)

*Feats in the book

Link to PDF
    Last edited by DragonOfUndeath; 2010-12-15 at 02:54 AM.
    call me Dragon

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Another vote for Wizard//Archivist for me

3rd party book about Avatar. I'm a Firebender//Fighter. AoO from CombatReflexes->IntuitiveReflexes*->SuperiorReflexes*
    20feet reach longsword from one of the spells: Burning Blade (Move to create Free to sustain)
    20D6 from Claw of the Phoenix (another spell)

*Feats in the book

Link to PDF
    Its generally expected that a thread asking for optimization is only wanting official sources.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Its generally expected that a thread asking for optimization is only wanting official sources.
    You asked what my build was. I wasn't offering it as a build for him to use but as a rough power level of the team. I'm supporting the Wizard//Archivist build
    call me Dragon

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yah, Incantatrix is a good PrC if you want OP. I could led you the book for that if you want to, drynwyn.
    The Resistance character:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Uthlas-Reth
    Male CG Grey Elf Wizard 1/Archivist 2, Level 3, Init +3, HP 17/17, Speed
    AC 12, Touch 12, Flat-footed 9, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Lt. Crossbow +4 (1d8, 19-20x2)
    5-ft burst Fiery burst DC 17 Reflex (2d6, -)
    Quarterstaff -1 (1d6-2, 20x2)
    (+3 Dex, -1 Misc)
    Abilities Str 6, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 8
    Condition None

15. - Top - End - #15
    Spamalot in the Playground

Then you might be a match for my Firebender//Fighter
    No BoVD or homebrew.
    3rd-party is just published homebrew.

@ OP: Dump Sorcerer and take Psion in your gestalt instead. Just as spontaneous, loads more synergy.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Assuming he actually wants to play a sorcerer//wizard, and not something completely different, how about trying to get Ultimate Magus levels? Double progression PrCs are usually out in gestalt, but see if you can get it allowed without the dual progression mechanic. It's the class features you're interested in.
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2011-01-03 at 10:07 PM.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I'd stick with Incantrix if you want optimization. Put the levels on your Sorceror side, since the Wizard side gets class features.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)