Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Spooks On The Loose: Let's Play Ghost Master!

So, after the startling success of my recently completed Starcraft 2 Let's Play, I've got the hunger to do another one, and in a fit of nostalgia, I've settled on the 2003 puzzle-strategy game Ghost Master.

Spoiler
    Show

As a Ghost Master, I will be commanding a team of spirits to scare, terrify, drive insane, torment, or mildly irritate a wide assortment of impudent mortals, while preserving the integrity of the underworld and retrieving renegade spirits. My prey will range from sorority girls to rednecks to mafia thugs, and everyone in between.

As I prepare to play, though, Audience Participation will begin immediately. My previous LP was from an in-character, limited first-person perspective viewpoint, with an extremely biased narrator. Here, I have options. Should this LP be:

A) Out-of-character narration entirely.
    B) In-character, with a cynical, snarky, and underworld-weary Ghost Master narrator, demoted after a Noodle Incident to his current humble position.
    C) In-character, with a cheerful, upbeat, and naievely optimistic Ghost Master, recently elevated to his new independent authority.
    D) Other
    Hoping for B, to give me a break/contrast from Nora.
    Also, should the individual spirits I pick up be given their own personalities, the way some people do with Pokemon in their Nuzlocke LP's?
    A) Yes
    B) No
    C) Heck No
    D) Other
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-12-19 at 12:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Spooks On The Loose: Let's Play Ghost Master!

This looks interesting. Anyway, 1:C, 2:A

3. - Top - End - #3

Also, I need a name for my Ghost Master, regardless of the eventual personality, so vote away on that as well.
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

C
    A
    Cazuks
    call me Dragon

I have left this site for a while. I probablt wont be coming back.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

1:C
    2:A with a dash of C (A little personality, but don't go crazy)

I got nothing for a name though... the classic Caspar springs to mind if all else fails.
    This could be interesting overall.
    Last edited by Domochevsky; 2010-12-19 at 10:55 AM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Ghost master. Pretty much the textbook example of a "great concept, terrible execution" kind of game. Still it look mlike it could make a great LP.

It's a shame a screenshot Lp will not be abnle to covey one of the strongest point of the game: The damned awesomme soundtrack

1: B.
    2: A.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2010-12-19 at 11:42 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    Ghost master. Pretty much the textbook example of a "great concept, terrible execution" kind of game. Still it look mlike it could make a great LP.

It's a shame a screenshot Lp will not be abnle to covey one of the strongest point of the game: The damned awesomme soundtrack

1: C.
    2: A.
    My thoughts exactly - but Ghost Master's not suited to a video LP either, because of its slow pace and camera panning, and I've at least completed 1.5 screenshot LPs. I'll try to compensate by linking to one of the soundtrack files in every update.

Looks like it's solidly 1C and 2A. I was kinda hoping for 1B, to give me a break from my last protagonist, but as long as this one is cheerful and smart, it'll be enough. I'll shunt the bitter sarcasm off into one of my ghosts. And with no real consensus on a name...eh...Casper is as good as any.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-12-19 at 11:38 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe the occasional heavily edited video ? It would allow you to show somme of the animations as well.

Also I made a mistake, personaly, meant 1:B. (edited)
    And for the name, I say Anubis or Hades.
    The idea of an old classical mythological figure forced to play second rate spook due to the increasingly harder time in supernatural economy nowadays would amuse me immensly.
    (But I guess C still wins by majority anyway .Damn you democratic process.)

Also will you do the downloadable 'Haunting high' bonus mission ? (It's supposed to tie the game up with an actual ending but it's pretty hard apparently. Haven't tried it myself.)
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2010-12-19 at 12:05 PM.

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

9. - Top - End - #9

I downloaded from GoG, so 'Class of Spook'em High' comes included.

And for the name, I say Anubis or Hades.
    The idea of an old classical mythological figure forced to play second rate spook due to the increasingly harder time in supernatural economy nowadays would amuse me immensly.
    That would have been awesome, I wish I had thought of it before I opened it up to voting.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

CA
    Ghost Master is on GoG? Sweet.
    Name: Castiel? Alastier? Dean? Samuel?
    Oh, call yourself The Doctor.

11. - Top - End - #11

For $2.99 even, a full 2 bucks cheaper than Steam.

[farnsworth]
    Good News, Everybody!
    [/farnsworth]

This LP may be coming to a premature end, because it refused to take screen captures properly with either the in-game function, or the Print Screen option.

Never mind, jsut had to run the game in Admin mode.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-12-19 at 02:54 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

C A, and for the name how about Lord Hector von Hindenburg the Third.

13. - Top - End - #13

EvilClericGuy

I'd go with B, A, and name your ghostmaster Anubis. This looks pretty cool.
    Last edited by Woot Spitum; 2010-12-19 at 05:41 PM.
    "Well, as Captain Leif Meldrock says in Mars Needs Lumberjacks, I'm ready for anything."
    ~The Hero, The Secret of Evermore

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

B) and A). Hector von Hindenburg sounds like a good name.
    Truth resists simplicity.

15. - Top - End - #15

Personalities for spirits is unanimous. Cheerful newbie Ghost Master is beating cynical and sarcastic Ghost Master 5 to 3, sadly, so unless we have a defector from Faction C or 2 additional B votes before I'm done writing this up, C takes the lot.

And I ended up 'officially' naming the ghost master Caspyr, but apparently it never comes up again in the entire game except from the loading screen. If I was doing a pretentious experienced GM, Hector Von Hindenburg would have been a shoo-in.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-12-19 at 08:09 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Voting for 1B and 2A as well, in the (apparently futile) hopes that more people will go with B.

Although I suppose 1C wouldn't be too bad. Eh, whatever.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Personalities for spirits is unanimous. Cheerful newbie Ghost Master is beating cynical and sarcastic Ghost Master 5 to 3, sadly, so unless we have a defector from Faction C or 3 additional B votes before I'm done writing this up, C takes the lot.

And I ended up 'officially' naming the ghost master Caspyr, but apparently it never comes up again in the entire game except from the loading screen. If I was doing a pretentious experienced GM, Hector Von Hindenburg would have been a shoo-in.
    Too bad we couldn't mix them:
    have a Cynical, upbeat, naive Ghost master
    Not sure how you do an upbeat cynic though.

18. - Top - End - #18

Well, that makes it 4-3.

In the meantime, anyone who's already voted, or hasn't voted, take a look at the following three screenshots and tell me which style should be used for image captures:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full Screen

Full Screen, Shrunk

Full Screen, Cropped to eliminate interface

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I say Option 2. My gut says 2.
    While my brain likes the cropped 3, I'm not sure about it fully.

My gut wins so I say 2.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

I vote option B and A Seems fitting for a Poltergeist.

As far as images go; I definitely prefer #3

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmyes, the cropped version looks pretty good.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

I'll go with either option 1 or 2. Those interfaces might be useful for us viewers later to know what's going on without making you spend too much time explaining to us.

23. - Top - End - #23

WolfInSheepsClothing

1B 2C

I'd go for option 1 for screenshots.
    Fallen London: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Acliabides

Quote Originally Posted by Fibinachi View Post
    Raxtel would like to quick-draw his grapnel and line gun and try to reel in Sarge like some particularly authoritive fish before we lose him in the middle of the rebel infested, colder-than-space tundra.
    Only War Jungle of Sin: Darrien Holt

24. - Top - End - #24

Can I change my vote to 1. B then. I like the funky name.

As the screenshots, lets go with 2.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

For the screens, unless you are trying to save bandwith, i say go with full screens, cropped most of the time, except when/if you want to show a bit of gameplay.
    (I think the first screen of each mission for example should show the interface, so we know what team and wich mortal are present in the mission.)

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

26. - Top - End - #26

Counting the on-the-fencers as two categories....exactly 3 votes for all three styles. Thanks guys, thanks. I'm going to go with the shrunken full-screen shots, because trimming+clipping was a lot of work with my SC2 LP, and I'm going to try differently - besides, this'll give people a general progress status on how many mortals have been scared away at any one point in the mission, or ghosts deployed. On the other hand, Hector Von Hindenburg is now a shoo-in, so I can get to work on the writingness.

Prologue:
    Spoiler
    Show

This is an outrage! An insult! A stain upon my honor! I’d known it was coming, but I hadn’t expected them to get around to it any time this eon. But no, this time they had to actually be prompt – the spectral memo came just this morning.

To: Hector Von Hindenburg the Third, alias Bolog, alias Gozor the Gozerian, alias Thrakazash the Terrible

RE: Status Review Appeal and Reassignment

This is an official notice that after review of the events occurring on or around June 8, 1984 MR (Mortal Reckoning), your status and title of ‘Destroyer of Worlds’ has been indefinitely suspended pending restoration of your capability to corporeally manifest in the mortal realm. Furthermore, due to your demonstrated incapability to perform the duties required of a supernatural entity of said status, you are hereby reclassified and ordered to assume the duties and position of Ghost Master, under the direct supervision of the Haunting Department. Further applications or appeals on this matter will be processed and evaluated at an appropriate time. when Stygia freezes over, sucker

Yours Sincerely,

Fredrick Wilson Krueger, Chairman, Council of Hades

Ghost Master? Moi? A dedicated, skilled, specter like myself demoted to being a lowly shepherd for sprites and gremlins after one little accident? Politics, I’m telling you, it’s all politics. Go into the mortal realm, they said. Take on the form of that which they fear most and destroy them, they said. How was I supposed to know he was kidding? Sarcasm wasn’t covered in the curriculum when I went to school.

…hm. No use crying over spilled ectoplasm, I guess. At least I still have a job, which is something to say in this economy, even if my dying quarters could probably fit into the closet that I just gave up. And it should be easy work, too, assuming I don’t get saddled with a team of total incompetents to manage…

just a little groundwork story-writing to munch on. First real update will come tomorrow.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-12-20 at 04:21 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Hello? Lord Hector Von Hindenburg the Third, where are you?

28. - Top - End - #28

Just unmotivated, and busy. I'll make my first official update Friday probably, since I'm spending all of tomorrow at the local game store with old buddies geeking out.

Assignment 1: Haunting 101
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, that went about as spooking fantastic as you might expect. Memo to self – never, ever say something like ‘assuming I don’t get saddled with a team of total incompetents’ again, it’s like crank-calling Fate at three in the morning and expecting nothing to happen.
    I went to meet my ‘squad’ before getting an assignment, and almost quit on the spot then and there.

So, want to introduce yourselves?

“Duuuude, my name’s like, Cogjammer, man. I can make electrical things, like, make electricity, dude. It’s sweeeeeet. Want some current?”
    Delightful. Not only do I already depise gremlins, this one was addicted to his own electrical discharges.

“Clatter-click-click-rustle. Click-clatter-click-rustle-clatter. Click-click.”
    I’m sorry, I don’t speak Spider. Care to repeat yourself?
    “Clatter. Click-rustle-click-rustle. Click-clatter.”
    And a spectral arachnid that I couldn’t understand. The nametag said ‘Clatterclaws’…at worst, I’d just set it loose to cause havoc on its own initiative. Mortals hate crawly things. And you?

“Name Boo. Boo scary. Boo shout BOO! People scared of Boo. Boo good at scaring.”
    A spectre whose IQ probably matches my pulse…someone really hates me.

“I’m Shivers. Think I could hang loose and help you advise, like a second-in-command deal? Mortals just sort of creep me out, I’d rather not get too close to them.”
    And for a nail in the not-so-proverbial coffin, the infamous Shivers. How a washed-up incompetent like him ever earned Most Valuable Phantom once, let alone three times, is beyond my comprehension. And considering I used to debate Great Old Ones during my lunch break, that’s saying something.

Now, for my assignment….

A sorority house. That’s right, I’ve been downgraded to B-grade horror movie fare.

Doesn’t the sight of blissful, ignorant college-girl inanity warm your cold dead heart? It make me want to puke, and I don’t have a digestive system anymore.
    “I dunno, man, it looks pretty peaceful to me. Slump around in bathrobes, watch the tube all day and just chill…”
    Shut up. Just. Shut. Up.

I took a quick scan around the house – being the week before classes started, it was still lightly populated. That meant less work, though it was probably all this sorry bunch could handle anyways.

One of them was in bed upstairs, probably sleeping off a drunken bender of some kind or another. That’s how college worked, from what I understood.

Most of the others were just wandering around, babbling to each other on every manner of pointless subject imaginable, and a few unimaginable ones.

And in the hallway…what’s this now? A trapped spirit, fettered to a vacuum cleaner? Maybe she’d be willing to help out. ‘Weatherwitch’, she called herself. Imaginative. Accidentally sucked up in an ‘electric broomstick’ by one of the house residents, and unable to get out…well, freeing a spirit would look good on the after-action report, even one as worthless as this.

Before I could bust her shackles, though, I’d have to build up some resonance. Mortals generated resonance when they were scared, startled, or freaked out by ghost powers – the more resonance in the area, the more ghosts I could employ at once and more power they could channel. Naturally, the house was about as resonant as a bowl of Jello just now.
    “C’mon, man, let me loose on them. They’re addicted to that television, messing it up will make them wild.”
    Fine, Cogjammer, you do that. I’ll be over here studiously saying nothing about pots and kettles.

Ok, so the irritating little runt knew his electronics, or at least his mortals. One scrambled channel in the middle of Desperate Babysitters of New Zealand and they were all upset. I could almost feel the resonance seeping out of them into the foundations.

Thankfully, Cogjammer was also a low-budget worker – even with the mediocre resonance level, he was able to overload the vacuum cleaner’s circuits and short it out.

“Hahahaha, free, free at last!”
    Bully for you – if you summon any tornados, watch out for flying houses.

Overheating machinery and bad TV reception wasn’t going to do much for scaring the girls out of their wits, though. I needed raw fear for that – and what better to scare stupid college girls with than a giant undead spider? Clatterclaws, get in there. Drop spiders on their heads, attack them with swarms, spawn ghostly green ferns out of the carpet, I don’t care. Just scare them.
    “Clatter- click-click-click. Rustle.”
    That’s nice.

“Me be scary? Boo go be scary to girl-people?”
    No, not until I’m desperate, or really bored. I’ve got better things to do with my resonance – for example, put Shivers into the field.
    “Sigh…do I have to, boss? It’s so dreary down there, and I might catch the flu or something."

That doesn’t even deserve a respose. Buck up, pretend you haven’t gone senile, and throw some books around or something. You’re an emotions fetter, prey on their emotions already!

“Fine, boss. There, emotions manipulated. Happy?”
    No, not really. When I said emotions, you know I meant things like fear or terror, crack at their fragile sanities. Implanting an irresistible desire for a cheeseburger is not what I meant, though the image of that girl running up to the drive-through window in her bathrobe is amusing enough to make up for it.

There was plenty of built-up resonance, though, what with Cogjammer making every electrical doodad in the building go on the fritz, and Weatherwitch’s penchant for indoor rainstorms. Leaving Cogjammer upstairs to rain creepy-crawlies on their heads worked like a charm, funneling them all down to have a pow-wow conference in the living room.
    “Now, boss?”
    Now. Bam – telekinesis out the wazoo, and most of the sorority is going for the hills screaming in a single shot. Only Blair Welsch was left…she’d been in the bathroom, and came out to see what all the ruckus was.
    “Wanna go BOO on girl, please? Please please please please please?”
    Fine. Amuse yourself while Shivers recharges his telekinetic storm.

“Yay…..COWER, MORTAL, AND FLEE IN TERROR, FOR I HAVE COME TO CONSUME YOUR SOUL! BOOOOOOOO!
    Wow.

“Hehe, Boo scary.”
    Indeed. Now if only you had two brain cells to rub together, that sort of talent would get you far in this underworld. That was the last of them though, time to go home.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2011-01-12 at 09:46 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

That was a pretty amusing start. I particulary like your version of Shivers.

Implanting an irresistible desire for a cheeseburger is not what I meant, though the image of that girl running up to the drive-through window in her bathrobe is amusing enough to make up for it.
    Indeed. it's a shame you can't actualy do this in the game.
    I think one thing thjat would have made it much better, would have been maybe less ghost and less powers buteach of them vbeing somewhat more distinctive, with more uses and more flavors to each.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2010-12-27 at 12:10 PM.

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

30. - Top - End - #30

And here we go. And now, we wait. for the next place to terror