New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Default 760.000 gp for balor (3.5)

So, our generic balor, a creatue of INT 24 and WIS 24, leader of wast demonic armies realized he is no match for lvl 10 wizard and decided to troll the little fella by accumulating 760.000 gp (an easy task for such an overlord) and equip himself.

What would you buy for a guy of his size if he decides that worpal sword and flaming whip are for puss***?

Pimp my balor (with something DM-friendly if possible. Not ten dozen items who produce 1200 different effects)

tnx

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: 760.000 gp for balor (3.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Balor01 View Post
    So, our generic balor, a creatue of INT 24 and WIS 24, leader of wast demonic armies realized he is no match for lvl 10 wizard and decided to troll the little fella by accumulating 760.000 gp (an easy task for such an overlord) and equip himself.

What would you buy for a guy of his size if he decides that worpal sword and flaming whip are for puss***?

Pimp my balor (with something DM-friendly if possible. Not ten dozen items who produce 1200 different effects)

tnx
    Unless that wizard is extremely heavily optimized, the balor is going to be more than a match for him. Balors are nasty.

In fact, I could almost categorically state that unless said wizard is using TO-type cheese, the balor will win the fight something like 99% of the time.
    If build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Unless that wizard is extremely heavily optimized, the balor is going to be more than a match for him. Balors are nasty.

In fact, I could almost categorically state that unless said wizard is using TO-type cheese, the balor will win the fight something like 99% of the time.
    yeah. I may have a way for a red wizard to deal over 400d6 damage with a fireball, but that's some incredibly stinky cheddar right there. The average Balor is a tough challenge for an entire group of level 20 PCs. my suggestion is simple - no tossing such things at anything below a level 16 group, not some poor mal-prepared wizard
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    yeah. I may have a way for a red wizard to deal over 400d6 damage with a fireball, but that's some incredibly stinky cheddar right there. The average Balor is a tough challenge for an entire group of level 20 PCs. my suggestion is simple - no tossing such things at anything below a level 16 group, not some poor mal-prepared wizard
    You do realise the Balor is immune to fire damage right ;)

<edit> yes i know there are options to fix this, but still why not just pick a spell that deals cold damage as an example.
    Last edited by Gnaritas; 2010-12-20 at 11:25 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Cowl of Warding (Magic of Faerun) ~ 200k gp

freedom of movement and mind blank and turns 6 levels of spells / day

In addition I would take something that gives the balor force ward, then you have a pretty mean fellow ^^

A ring of mirror image and greater blink on top to surely kill your party with him (or at least make them run away )
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2010-12-20 at 11:34 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnaritas View Post
    You do realise the Balor is immune to fire damage right ;)

<edit> yes i know there are options to fix this, but still why not just pick a spell that deals cold damage as an example.
    A lot of people forget this since demons aren't normally immune to fire. But Balors are... exceptional.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I don't really think balors need any upgrading. Now, if you want to "pimp" him, why not just give him a bunch of succubi (or inccubi, if you'd prefer those)?
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Yeah, I really don't see a level 10 wizard getting past a good spamming of Blasphemy, barring either access to powerful items, or liberal use of Silence and Silent Spell. And even then, that's just negating one of a balor's many, many, deadly options.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    I don't really think balors need any upgrading. Now, if you want to "pimp" him, why not just give him a bunch of succubi (or inccubi, if you'd prefer those)?
    A pimp balor? Hmmmm...

This has potential
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Magic Armor+5 of Greater Energy Resistance (Cold)
    Greater Ring of Energy Resistance (Acid)
    Cloak of Charisma +6

That's a start

11. - Top - End - #11

Your sensitivity towards alternate-lifestyle balors fills my black and callused heart with joy
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Johel View Post
    Magic Armor+5 of Greater Energy Resistance (Cold)
    Greater Ring of Energy Resistance (Acid)
    Cloak of Charisma +6

That's a start
    Note that the armor should be a mithral shirt. You want to keep total weight under 50lb so he can still greater teleport at will.

There's no reason to waste a ring on acid resistance, you can add as many Greater Energy resistances to the armor as you like and save the ring slots for something better. Also throw etherealness on the armor, only 49,000 GP and it allows you to let the party THINK you have teleported out...

Remember to throw in a +1 bracers of armor with the special property of Heavy Fortification. Immunity to crits and rogues for only 36,000 GP.

A tome for +4 more to Cha for only 110,000 GP is golden (anything that adds to Cha adds to save DCs).

Buy something cheap but fancy looking that you can give to the second balor that you can automatically summon for an hour! That way the party will Gak the wrong target and you can teleport out.

Ring of counterspells: 4000 GP.
    Dimensional Anchor cast into it: 280 GP
    Look on adventurer's face when he identifies the correct Balor to target, hits your touch AC of 20 or more (unholy aura should always be up, it's 20 without ANYTHING but this and your default stuff), overcomes your 28 SR, and then you teleport out anyway: Priceless.

Remember that you have UMD 31 (33 for scrolls), and thus can use almost any item with 100% reliability (UMD does not autofail on a 1).

DougL
    Last edited by Doug Lampert; 2010-12-20 at 01:43 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Your sensitivity towards alternate-lifestyle balors fills my black and callused heart with joy
    I'm very glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this, or I would have spat it out from chuckling.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

It's not a lifestyle! *rant*
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

This right here. This is awesome. This is the kinda stuff that is the source of all awesome in the universe.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Well, there always is Graz'zt!

*swoon*
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Aren't succubi and incubi the same thing anyways, what with at-will Polymorph?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Depends on interpretation. The Monster Manual says nothing on that, but there's a fiend called incubus, I believe in one of the last issues of Dragon or Dungeon.
    But since they were introduced more than 30 years after the more iconic demons, I like to ignore them.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post

*swoon*
    Something like that.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

*swoon*
    I'm more of a Malcanthet person myself
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

Depends on interpretation. The Monster Manual says nothing on that, but there's a fiend called incubus, I believe in one of the last issues of Dragon or Dungeon.
    But since they were introduced more than 30 years after the more iconic demons, I like to ignore them.
    Incubi are the original version of the demons though, from the shades of history. Succubi are just more popular in the modern times for...err, whatever reasons.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Personally, i like to think that incubus/succubus is just the gender specification for that species. AkA, they have identical stats, but that doesn't mean its the same(an incubus might have a hard time seducing males, and vice versa for succubi).

23. - Top - End - #23

Mmm, Dispater... especially the BoVD version...

...What were we talking about?

"Honey, I'm a shapeshifter. It's not like we never tried-"
    "Not helping!"
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Balor vs: level 10 wizard

step 1: Buy scroll of Wish
    step 2: Hire rogue to UMD said scroll
    step 3: Wizard is dead.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Mmm, Dispater... especially the BoVD version...

...What were we talking about?

"Honey, I'm a shapeshifter. It's not like we never tried-"
    "Not helping!"
    I wanted to link to that, but couldn't find it in time.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

A belt of magnificence +6 is 200k and grants +6 to all stats. Nice, simple, useful (especially if the wizard tries to do stat damage). Add in a cowl of warding, a ring of evasion, and a ring of spell turning, and that Balor's starting to get pretty pimped.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

27. - Top - End - #27

I wanted to link to that, but couldn't find it in time.
    Neither could I until this very moment
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Am I the first person to wonder why this balor appears to be a wascally wabbit?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Note that the armor should be a mithral shirt. You want to keep total weight under 50lb so he can still greater teleport at will.

There's no reason to waste a ring on acid resistance, you can add as many Greater Energy resistances to the armor as you like and save the ring slots for something better. Also throw etherealness on the armor, only 49,000 GP and it allows you to let the party THINK you have teleported out...

Remember to throw in a +1 bracers of armor with the special property of Heavy Fortification. Immunity to crits and rogues for only 36,000 GP.

A tome for +4 more to Cha for only 110,000 GP is golden (anything that adds to Cha adds to save DCs).

Buy something cheap but fancy looking that you can give to the second balor that you can automatically summon for an hour! That way the party will Gak the wrong target and you can teleport out.

Ring of counterspells: 4000 GP.
    Dimensional Anchor cast into it: 280 GP
    Look on adventurer's face when he identifies the correct Balor to target, hits your touch AC of 20 or more (unholy aura should always be up, it's 20 without ANYTHING but this and your default stuff), overcomes your 28 SR, and then you teleport out anyway: Priceless.
    That seems a VERY GOOD start now.
    Who can improve this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Remember that you have UMD 31 (33 for scrolls), and thus can use almost any item with 100% reliability (UMD does not autofail on a 1).

DougL
    Yeah... So that's a lot of Wish scrolls.
    And a big smirk when the Wizard is teleported in pyjama right in front of you, with unprepared spells and no equipment.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

Wish Scroll is one of the few things they can fail on; DC = 20+CL or 37 minimum for 9th level spells. If you get him a Circlet of Persuasion, however, that +3 is barely enough to put him on succeeds-on-1 level for said Scrolls. Disjunction is a good spell to keep in the back pocket. Only has one CL-dependent component anyways and that's not important much of the time (breaching AMFs and breaking artifacts).

He prolly wants Handy Haversack anyways, for handy stuff. Like scrolls and such. He should very probably have Freedom of Movement and Greater Fortifications on his Armor and Ring, respectively. And Ring of Evasion can't hurt. Hand of Glory gets him an extra Ring-slot for Ring of Spell-Battle (for example). Really, outsiders are rather well-rounded and don't need all that much help from items. You obviously want Con +6 on him. And Resistances +5. And Dex +6 for good measure; movement speed is good. Also probably some source of Deflection-bonus to armor, and quite possibly Monk's Belt; having a Touch AC in the 50s would be incredibly convenient as it makes hitting with just True Strike hard. He also has Telekinesis at will with the delicious ability to Quicken it so Portable Hole or some such full of nasty, big swords with various abilities to hurl with the spell could work.

If using other sources...well, Anklets of Translocation (or in general, swift action movement) is v. good, Belt of Battle is golden, Death Warding Armor can be convenient, and Ring of Spell-Battle is always good fun. All of those, except for Death Warding, are in Magic Item Compendium. Death Ward is from Player's Guide to Faerun. Oh yeah, and Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis [Tome of Magic] would give him Hide in Plain Sight which is quite good with a Balor's modifiers.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-12-20 at 08:04 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.