Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Rasman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Pyromancer-esque

    I'm looking to build a 16th level character that his big pony trick is Fire spells. For fluff reasons his Somatic components would literally be him snapping his fingers and the spells being the result of sparks being created by his gloves.

    I've heard about a Pyromancer class, but after a day or so searching, I can't find squat other than a Psionic class that isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

    I may just be looking at this in the wrong light though. My other consideration is that I could just have a Sorcerer that specializes in fire spells and gets a lot of casts because of it.

    So, in short, I'm looking for both information and opinion about where i could find this class or whether there is a better way to build it.
    The Super Special Awesome Yiuel made my very manly Avatar
    The Great Steam Golem, Blitzcrank!

    He really has a heart of gold...encased in a framework of iron...in a carapace of steel.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ernir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Iceland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pyromancer-esque

    There is the Silver Flame Pyromancer, from Five Nations. Is that what you're looking for? It's not terribly powerful, but it does get the very important ability that is burning things that can't be burned (and Paladin spell access, which is awesome).
    Slightly hard to get into as a Sorcerer, though. And it requires Lawful Goodness, which isn't everyone's cup'o tea.

    For a less morally white concept, how about just a Warlock going into Hellfire Warlock?
    Last edited by Ernir; 2010-12-21 at 09:03 AM.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

    My sarcasm is never blue.

    Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned
     
    true_shinken's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pyromancer-esque

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasman View Post
    For fluff reasons his Somatic components would literally be him snapping his fingers and the spells being the result of sparks being created by his gloves.
    Roy Mustang called, he wants his shtick back.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasman View Post
    I've heard about a Pyromancer class, but after a day or so searching, I can't find squat other than a Psionic class that isn't exactly what I'm looking for.
    Sorcerer with fire spells works fine. Alternatives:
    Hellfire Warlock - fire so hot it ignores resistance/immunity. Unfortunately, there is the whole devil thin, Con damage and the like.
    Sanctified One of Kord - You only need a single level. What you want is holy fire - now your fire spells are holy and also ignore resistance/immunity.
    Check out the Mailman for ideas on direct damage sorcerers.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pyromancer-esque

    I would probably adapt the Frost Mage to a fire version, or maybe use the Wild Mage and give it a fiery tinge to represent the element's uncontrollability.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
     
    druid91's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lemuria
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pyromancer-esque

    Just take the feat searing spell. It makes your fire so hot that even things with immunity take half damage. it also burns right through resistance like it wasn't there.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

    Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

    Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

    Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Pyromancer-esque

    Searing spell has already been mentioned.

    I'll also big-up Ca****e Elementalist at this point: Adds fire spells to your spells known (not sure if Sorcs can take it, or if it's wiz only though) and it makes oyur fireballs go up to ELEVEN!


    EDIT: Eh...? Cash...ite, then.
    Last edited by Psyx; 2010-12-21 at 10:39 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    druid91's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lemuria
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pyromancer-esque

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyx View Post
    Searing spell has already been mentioned.

    I'll also big-up Ca****e Elementalist at this point: Adds fire spells to your spells known (not sure if Sorcs can take it, or if it's wiz only though) and it makes oyur fireballs go up to ELEVEN!


    EDIT: Eh...? Cash...ite, then.

    What? no it hasn't. Unless it's in that mailman thing.

    EDIT: I just checked, it wasn't.
    Last edited by druid91; 2010-12-21 at 01:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

    Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

    Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

    Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pyromancer-esque

    There is an Elemental Savant from the Complete Arcane. All your spells with an elemental descriptor become fire spells. You could also take the Eschew Materials feat and so you would have mostly just Somatic and Verbal components.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Rasman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pyromancer-esque

    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Roy Mustang called, he wants his shtick back.
    busted...

    but blame what's in my sig for giving me the idea...not to mention to desire to go around screaming about Tiny Miniskirts...

    Sorcerer with fire spells works fine. Alternatives:
    Hellfire Warlock - fire so hot it ignores resistance/immunity. Unfortunately, there is the whole devil thin, Con damage and the like.
    Sanctified One of Kord - You only need a single level. What you want is holy fire - now your fire spells are holy and also ignore resistance/immunity.
    Check out the Mailman for ideas on direct damage sorcerers.
    the Mailman is kind of what I'm looking for, but I've tried the Arcane Spellsurge trick with this DM already and he says that in Pathfinder that Sorcerers don't apply the "Full Round Cast" to Metamagiced spells. So I'd have to find spells that were full round casts to go with what I want.

    Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Just take the feat searing spell. It makes your fire so hot that even things with immunity take half damage. it also burns right through resistance like it wasn't there.
    I'd thought about that, but I think I'll ask if I can have the Frostburn version for Cold spells just reworded for Fire. I seem to remember that it's better because it's worded differently...or is it the other way around...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    There is the Silver Flame Pyromancer, from Five Nations. Is that what you're looking for? It's not terribly powerful, but it does get the very important ability that is burning things that can't be burned (and Paladin spell access, which is awesome).
    Slightly hard to get into as a Sorcerer, though. And it requires Lawful Goodness, which isn't everyone's cup'o tea.

    For a less morally white concept, how about just a Warlock going into Hellfire Warlock?
    actually sounds REALLY interesting, but my campaign setting makes it kinda hard considering the type of organization we belong to
    The Super Special Awesome Yiuel made my very manly Avatar
    The Great Steam Golem, Blitzcrank!

    He really has a heart of gold...encased in a framework of iron...in a carapace of steel.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    AslanCross's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Metro Manila, Philippines
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pyromancer-esque

    If your DM is okay with adapting classes to a setting, Silver Pyromancer might still have a chance. I think its biggest problem is not its fluff but that it requires Turn Undead, so you have to be a cleric or paladin.


    Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

    "I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •