New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

yuk Why you should never trust a caster with a high AC...

So, We were playing the Red Hand of Doom campaign. I am an assassin, and My friend is a wizard. We joined mid-campaign, and because of this, threw a quick back-story together. We had met after i assassinated his brother to join the assassins guild. It hadn't been a problem because, it turns out, his brother was evil. Anyway, all throughout the campaign shenanigans are happening to me. I was scouting ahead and ran into wire strung between trees, he told the party he thought i was stealing from the cart (which resulted in me not being able to embezzle as much out of our loot sales). Also, we had taken a goblin prisoner and he "escaped" in the middle of the night.

Anyway, Being an assassin and a rogue in love with money, I plotted with him to kill a wizard. He would take the wizards spell-book and I would raid the shop. However, someone tipped the guards off and they were waiting, so I wasn't able to accomplish my murder (it had been ingeniously thought as well, I would have him cast anti-magic field, and then assassinate-skill to the face 18 seconds later).

I was a bit suspicious of this at this point, but considering that i had made a deal with him to split my embezzlement, i wasn't really suspecting him.

It wasn't until we brought a map we had found to the guards that I was even more suspicious. The guards unfolded it, and one of the fighters near me noticed some ruins on the back. Now, we had been talking about explosive ruins shortly before that, and the wizard was learning a spell with his share of the loot from a local wizard. Well, as soon as we noticed the ruins I yelled "NO" and our fighter READ THEM ALOUD. Causing them to explode and kill the guard holding the map as well as injuring the fighter. Luckily, evasion is amazing and I matrix-dodged my way through space-time and avoided all damage.

We immediately ran back to to the wizard (who had been holding the map before giving it to us to bring to the guards). We told him what happened, and lightly brushed it off as a goblin trap. Until i started piecing things together. I attempted to convince the group that the wizard was the culprit, but failed miserably. However, the fighter was also putting two and two together, and he convinced the group. We confronted the wizard and he said 3 words: "I cast web" . He locked us in place, backed up a step and waited for our checks to get out of the web. On his next turn, he drank a pre-prepared potion of fly and flew out the door yelling curses at us.

Shortly after, we found out that he actually HAD taken the death of his brother seriously. He had plotted to kill me AND the healer. Also, if he had time, there would have been additional sabotage to the city before his escape allowing it to fall easily. He was communicating with goblins using dead-drops and we all just failed miserably at spotting them.

Now, one of the things we found out was that he had a high AC (for a wizard). You see, he's an expert at pulling additions to AC almost literally out of his ass (he reads lots of source-books). In a previous campaign, he was the cleric who somehow ended up being both a tank and top DPS for the campaign.

So, tl;dr NEVER TRUST A WIZARD WITH A HIGH AC. Especially if you had previously killed his brother.
    Last edited by Apophis775; 2010-12-22 at 06:31 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Why you should never trust a caster with a high AC...

... I'd strongly advise your Assassin to go grow a Sense Motive.

Apart from that, congratulations on having had an awesome game. Now I'm jealous.

So it seems like you've got a nemesis to hunt down for your character. Any plans on how to do this? Wizards are so notoriously hard to hunt down and kill after all.

Lycar
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

a better strategy would be to never trust a wizard period.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, coincidentally, only a slight modification of my original plan.

Raise an army, defend the locals, defeat the goblins, seize control of the kingdom with said army, and then hunt the wizard to the ends of the earth.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Apophis775 View Post
    Yes, coincidentally, only a slight modification of my original plan.

Raise an army, defend the locals, defeat the goblins, seize control of the kingdom with said army, and then hunt the wizard to the ends of the earth.
    Why? You killed his brother, he will probably be doing the hunting now that covert ops isnt working any more.

Good luck on that btw.
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

It wasn't until we brought a map we had found to the guards that I was even more suspicious. The guards unfolded it, and one of the fighters near me noticed some ruins on the back. Now, we had been talking about explosive ruins shortly before that, and the wizard was learning a spell with his share of the loot from a local wizard. Well, as soon as we noticed the ruins I yelled "NO" and our fighter READ THEM ALOUD.
    Took me a moment to figure out what's the problem with some ruins on a map.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Man, my next adventure is going to have to be at some explosive ruins!
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't forget, good guys don't look at explosions, they blow **** up and walk away.
    Last edited by Escheton; 2010-12-22 at 06:58 PM.
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

What kind of mean person would do that?.....

Spoiler
    Show

Oh yea, me.

Anywho, you forgot to mention I wasn't a wizard... I was a MYSTIC THURGE WHO USED PRECOCIOUS (fixed!) APPRENTICE TO GET IN EARLY! Muahahaha! Ah, I'm gonna have to talk to our DM to make sure he knows how to lvl that character.

PS: I'm re-rolling as a Wizard gnome with lots of AC. :D
    Last edited by VacantPsalm; 2010-12-23 at 11:38 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

So what method(s) were used to generate this high AC?

Sorry, but I've constructed some high-AC stuff in the past and I'm curious as to what the wizard was using.
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2010-12-22 at 07:33 PM.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I think it's fair to assume that Luminous Armour didn't feature.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Man, my next adventure is going to have to be at some explosive ruins!
    Explosive Ruins could be a great encounter. Rogue detects traps? "Yes, there are traps." Watch as he tries to disarm the entire ruin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Sorry, but I've constructed some high-AC stuff in the past and I'm curious as to what the wizard was using.
    Actually, this character didn't have uber high AC, only 16.

However, a previous MT I had used a monk's belt to get Wis to AC, that plus Mage armor plus high dex gave me a base of 20 or 22 or something and I had a shield spell ready.... I'm forgetting something, I know that I had it at 28 and the fighter was only like 19 so I had to step up and tank a bit. (or maybe that was my vow of poverty Druid. Hm.)

For this gnome, I'm probably going to grab a mithril buckler. So, mage arm + gnome + dex + mithril buckler would be around 18 base and then a backup shield would make me have 22. Not über, but more then most people in out campaign. Really, "getting AC out of my ass" means I know how to set things up to where I get close to 20 and that's only awesome in comparison to the rest of our group.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VacantPsalm View Post
    -ac stuff-
    tl;dr: This group is bad at AC.

Seriously, 20 is easy. Pretty much any character that makes half an effort at it should be able to get 19-20 AC, especially at a high enough level to be a Mystic Theurge (even with early entry, you're talking level 4-5.) Wear armor: 14-15 base, depending on if you're a Chain Shirt or Breastplate kinda person. Dex: 2-3 for a large number of builds, so you're at 17. Carry a shield if you're really concerned about it: 18 or 19, depending on Light/Heavy. +1 AC item: 19/20. Congratulations. Bump up the numbers 4 points if you wear full plate instead, which you can afford to do by WBL at about level 4 also.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, so it's reasonable stuff like that. I got the impression you were getting obnoxious AC from weird sources. Probably better that you're not if nobody else is really optimizing.

Anyway, sounds like you all had fun with these schemes. I sometimes wish some of my players had the motivation for this sort of thing.
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2010-12-22 at 08:12 PM.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Yea, we're still relatively new to D&D and I happen to be the rules lawyer who looks through all the books. There are times when I try to get a bit crazy (1 ranger + 2 monk + 1 lion totem bar + rest ranger with Ascetic Hunter feat = two handed sword plus kicks so I have two weapon fighting AND two handed fighting plus pounce so I get full attack on charge. Lol SOB Ranger) but they shoot it down before I get a chance... Either that or they just let me play my clerics. I'm one of those people who prefers to do many things and mainly heal. (grabbing UMD with this Wiz so I can use wands of healz.)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

Yea, we're still relatively new to D&D and I happen to be the rules lawyer who looks through all the books. There are times when I try to get a bit crazy (1 ranger + 2 monk + 1 lion totem bar + rest ranger with Ascetic Hunter feat = two handed sword plus kicks so I have two weapon fighting AND two handed fighting plus pounce so I get full attack on charge. Lol SOB Ranger) but they shoot it down before I get a chance... Either that or they just let me play my clerics. I'm one of those people who prefers to do many things and mainly heal. (grabbing UMD with this Wiz so I can use wands of healz.)
    Except that you only get the regular TWF - you're not using a Monk weapon so you cannot Flurry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I have two weapon fighting AND two handed fighting
    I prefer Revenant Blade for that. Pounce, Travel Devotion, HiPS - Charge, retreat, hide, repeat.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

They thought your TWF ranger etc was too powerful so got you to play a cleric?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel of Doom View Post

Every group has different optimization standards, and *not* everyone knows how to play a Cleric to it's strengths. If you have someone playing a traditional heal-bot cleric, they're not going to dominate.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

My friend played a scout rogue and was able to hit 43 ac by level 8 as long as he moved 20 feet.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Every group has different optimization standards, and *not* everyone knows how to play a Cleric to it's strengths. If you have someone playing a traditional heal-bot cleric, they're not going to dominate.
    You can get away with quite a lot if your group still only thinks of you as 'guy who does the heals."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    You can get away with quite a lot if your group still only thinks of you as 'guy who does the heals."
    Indeed.
    In a previous campaign, he was the cleric who somehow ended up being both a tank and top DPS for the campaign.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

RangerGuy

yeah, my group did this too :/

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

No, I ended up going scout / ranger and am heading for order of the bow initiate. I was going to be a cleric but my DM was like, "you're always a Cleric, I want you to play something different."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

am heading for order of the bow initiate.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

@Greenish
    I sure hope he understands.

Also, show your group the tier system, and give them handbooks for their classes. Just google "xxxxx handbook" or look on BG.

Might make the characters a bit more even.
    Last edited by Tael; 2010-12-22 at 11:36 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Part of me wishes we could have such scheming in our gaming group, but our barbarian would probably squish the schemer and tell him to come back with a friendlier character.

29. - Top - End - #29

RangerGuy

Awesome adventure so far. At least the Fighter was smart enough to help ya. So, how's going the new plan?

No, I ended up going scout / ranger and am heading for order of the bow initiate.
    Greenish already pointed the obvious. Don't ever look at that class again. Unless your DM allows some kind of fix or the 3.0 version, don't try it. I ... fell in the same trap long time ago. 'm ashamed. I still cry some nights.
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/admiral-ackbar-ole-miss-bigger.jpg
    All I want is the shooting without taking AoE, the rest would be ranger lvls. As usual, my AC is rather high so I want to be able to jump in at any second and tank while still using my bow. I know it's not optimal, but I prefer flexibility to raw power. (As you could probably tell with me using MT.)
    Last edited by VacantPsalm; 2010-12-22 at 11:51 PM.