New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [D&D 3.5] I need a Warblade crunch concept

What the title said. I want to play a Warblade, but I can't think of an interesting schtick. So, Playground, what ideas do you have for a sketched build that is at least partly Warblade with an interesting design concept?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] I need a Warblade crunch concept

Sword & board. Elegant, ageless classic that doesn't see much play in 3.5.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, yeah, S&B is underused, but it also kind'a... bores me. Y'know, it's just too common in general fantasy. I'm looking for something kind'a out there.

I was thinking of doing something with Warblade and War Mind, since that sounds like fun, but I can't think of a good tactical theme. How many levels of War Mind would be good?

Also, I can't find at what levels a Warblade gains access to each level of maneuvers. Could someone point me to it?
    Last edited by Lateral; 2010-12-23 at 05:13 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

All Martial Adepts gain access to maneuver levels in a similar fashion to Wizards and Clerics:
    Initiator level 1-2: 1st Level Maneuvers
    IL 3-4: 2nd Level Maneuvers
    and so on.

If you plan on dipping Psychic Warrior to boost your War Mind's PP or get some of the tasty first-level maneuvers, I suggest going Diamond Mind for Rapier love. (Or if you want to go two-handed, you can take a greatsword, bastard sword or Courtblade if you have the EWP to spare)
    Concentration is a class skill for all your classes, so you can multiclass without endangering your Nightmare Blade maneuvers.

If you're willing to get more Psychic Warrior levels you could also just go Soulbound Weapon to be a better soulknife than a soulknife AND get maneuvers while you're at it.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, yeah, S&B is underused, but it also kind'a... bores me. Y'know, it's just too common in general fantasy. I'm looking for something kind'a out there.
    Well, drop the sword, and just use the board.
    I was thinking of doing something with Warblade and War Mind, since that sounds like fun, but I can't think of a good tactical theme. How many levels of War Mind would be good?
    Might go for all 10, interspersed with warblade levels.
    Also, I can't find at what levels a Warblade gains access to each level of maneuvers. Could someone point me to it?
    Same as wizard with spells.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, okay. I was actually thinking of going straight into War Mind without dipping Psychic Warrior, because I can't see an advantage to it. The problem with 10 levels of War Mind is that it leaves my IL at 15, barring access to 9th level maneuvers. Is there a way I can boost my IL by at least two while still going Warblade 10/War Mind 10?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, okay. I was actually thinking of going straight into War Mind without dipping Psychic Warrior, because I can't see an advantage to it. The problem with 10 levels of War Mind is that it leaves my IL at 15, barring access to 9th level maneuvers. Is there a way I can boost my IL by at least two while still going Warblade 10/War Mind 10?
    Not really, no. Asking for a psionic version of JPM might work.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Might I interest you in a simple Bardblade?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Already explained, but if you want to know precisely, it's on page 39 of Tome of Battle.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Not really, no. Asking for a psionic version of JPM might work.
    What's a JPM?

I don't really feel like a Bardblade. I think I've got the class sorted out, I just kinda need to pick a main discipline and some kind of weapon. I'm thinking Guisarme, with a tripper build if I go Guisarme. Is that viable with a Warblade/War Mind?
    Last edited by Lateral; 2010-12-23 at 06:28 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade Phoenix Mage. It's a ToB gish class.
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2010-12-23 at 06:25 PM.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Hood - Be a Final Fantasy dragoon!
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, okay.

Wait, I did a massive stupid. I completely forgot to mention that I don't actually own a copy of ToB. (Or any other 3.5 resource, as a matter of fact.) The Warblade and pretty much all of the maneuvers are on the web... but Jade Phoenix Mage is not.

Edit: Yeah, I thought about going Dragoon, but I already have a dragoon PC who sees play regularly. I don't have a tripper, and I've heard that Warblades are good at it.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2010-12-23 at 06:36 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

I once made a Warblade that had 3 levels of Swashbuckler and one level in Sneak Attack Hit-and-Run Fighter, used Improved Feint followed by Strikes to abuse the crap out of Staggering Strike. Used a rapier and Einhander from the PHB2 and fought defensively/Combat Expertise-d. Very fun and, since it's a Warblade, very useful.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

What are you hoping to get out of War Mind, exactly? It's not a terrible class, but I'd hesitate to call it better than simply taking more Warblade levels, at least without knowing what you have in mind.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    What are you hoping to get out of War Mind, exactly? It's not a terrible class, but I'd hesitate to call it better than simply taking more Warblade levels, at least without knowing what you have in mind.
    Mostly 'cause I think it's awesome, is extremely flavorful, fits perfectly with the fluff I've got in mind, and because psionics rule. It's a pretty good PrC for entering with a psionic race (or the Wild Talent feat), and... frankly, it's frakking awesome. Psychic warrior powers are good buffs, and even low level ones are good. (I like Prevenom Weapon, because by RAW, it's not expended on a successful hit, so I can do 8 Constitution damage on a full attack.)

Hey, there's an idea; a MWF Tashalatora Psychic Warrior wielding monk weapons focused on attacking with as many of them as possible, all coated with Prevenom, to get a crapload of CON damage!

...Eh, some other time.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Frenzied berserker with a wallblade that has viciousness and speed. You are now a lean mean killing machine. Frenzied berserker is from complete warrior and wall blade is from quintessential fighter 2.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doomboy911 View Post
    Frenzied berserker with a wallblade that has viciousness and speed. You are now a lean mean killing machine. Frenzied berserker is from complete warrior and wall blade is from quintessential fighter 2.
    Thanks, but Frenzied Berserker won't work.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Are you open to using Kalashtar? It's the best race for psionics due to getting PP every level even if they aren't taking levels in a psionic class. Plus you get a cool Mindlink power.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

And some of the Quori Link Crystals are very good.
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2010-12-23 at 10:47 PM.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Warblade 4/Sanctified Mind 1/Warmind x/Sanctified Mind +5

Sanctified Mind is from Lords of Madness, advances manfesting levels 2-6 and has some cross-class skill requirements. Combined with a psionic race, you end up with a little bit of ToB maneuvers, and a full-BAB psionic character.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

The problem with 10 levels of War Mind is that it leaves my IL at 15, barring access to 9th level maneuvers. Is there a way I can boost my IL by at least two while still going Warblade 10/War Mind 10?
    Not quite. The best I can do is:

Warblade 5/War Mind 9/Legacy Champion 6.
    BAB: +18
    IL: 17.5
    (Legacy Champion 2-6 adds to IL +1.5/level if you advance Warblade)

Actually, I'm not sure you really want that many levels of War Mind. Most folks just get 5, once you've got Sweeping Strike you've got the best it has to offer.

You could probably get War Mind 10 and 9th level maneuvers with bloodline levels, but I think there's only one person on the planet who understands how they really work, and I'm not entirely sure I agree with all his conclusions.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Well, for a weapon idea, if you feel like it:

Kusari-gama, from the DMG. It's a light one-handed weapon with reach and can trip/disarm/etc like a spiked chain
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Warblade is great for:
    • making a quarterstaff wielder who actually doesn't suck
    • making a sword-and-board type who actually doesn't suck
    • making a TWF who actually doesn't suck (dual-kukri crit-fishing)
    • making a samurai who actually doesn't suck
    • making a "barbarian," but with more variety in his attacks
    • making a swashbuckler who doesn't suck ... especially if you multiclass. (Swashbuckler 3 / Warblade X is decent, but you can also combine Warblade with several other classes for this concept, such as Psychic Rogue or Swordsage. I particularly want to try a swashbuckler character who is simply Factotum / Warblade.)
    • making a Master of Nine, who mostly ends up being "a Warblade, but with more Maneuvers Readied and access to Setting Sun." But if you don't have access to ToB, this option's probably out.

It sounds like you're specifically hoping for a psionic-mix of Warblade, though. I think the Psychic Rogue / Warblade swashbuckler combo could be pretty awesome. Lots of Diamond Mind stuff, obviously, and Instant Clarity.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spiked chain tripper warblade is one of my favorite builds...ever
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    Are you open to using Kalashtar? It's the best race for psionics due to getting PP every level even if they aren't taking levels in a psionic class. Plus you get a cool Mindlink power.
    Hmm... I'm not sure what a Kalashtar actually does... They get +2 on bluff/diplomacy/intimidate and +2 on will saves vs. mind-affecting effects, no racial ability modifiers and +1 pp per level, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Not quite. The best I can do is:

Warblade 5/War Mind 9/Legacy Champion 6.
    BAB: +18
    IL: 17.5
    (Legacy Champion 2-6 adds to IL +1.5/level if you advance Warblade)

Actually, I'm not sure you really want that many levels of War Mind. Most folks just get 5, once you've got Sweeping Strike you've got the best it has to offer.
    I don't own ToB, remember? I can't do Legacy Champion unless it's on the web. I thought about going Warblade 15/War Mind 5 (not in that order, necessarily)... if I do War Mind 10, I get 5th level powers, 70 PP per day, better Chain of Defensive Posture/Personal Superiority, Enduring Body 3/-, and Chain of Overwhelming Force. If I do Warblade 15/ War Mind 5, I get only 2nd level powers, 20 pp, and less powerful Chains (Enduring Body sucks), but 9th level maneuvers instead of 8th, a bonus feat, and Battle Skill/Mastery. I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    Well, for a weapon idea, if you feel like it:

Kusari-gama, from the DMG. It's a light one-handed weapon with reach and can trip/disarm/etc like a spiked chain
    Yeah, I know about kusari-gamas. Problem is, they're so frakking cool that... I've already built a PC who dual-wields them. He's just so epic that I don't wanna steal his thunder. Seriously, at this point, I'm going with some kind of polearm.
    -------------
    Okay, I've got an idea. Siangham are awesome. Flails are epic. I'mma dual wield the two.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2010-12-24 at 08:56 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

if your looking for something out there just be a gyrspike specialist

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't own ToB, remember? I can't do Legacy Champion unless it's on the web.
    It's not on the web, but it's not in ToB either, so he couldn't be expected to know that you didn't have access to it.

(It's in Weapons of Legacy, and it has 8/10 "class level continuation" that people use to boost their initiator level.)
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, okay.

Wait, I did a massive stupid. I completely forgot to mention that I don't actually own a copy of ToB. (Or any other 3.5 resource, as a matter of fact.) The Warblade and pretty much all of the maneuvers are on the web... but Jade Phoenix Mage is not.

Edit: Yeah, I thought about going Dragoon, but I already have a dragoon PC who sees play regularly. I don't have a tripper, and I've heard that Warblades are good at it.
    Felt that I should remind other posters this little tidbit of information.

Now Lateral, if you are not adverse to Homebrew, may I interest you on this great class the Ephemeral Blade made by our very own Eldariel You could go something like Warblade 5/War Mind 2/Ephemeral Blade 10/Warblade +3 .

That would give you full War Mind manifesting, IL 19 full BAB, and some extremely nice teleport options, now you would have to stick to Diamond mind school wise, but it is considered one of ( if no the) best disciplines AFAIK
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Felt that I should remind other posters this little tidbit of information.

Now Lateral, if you are not adverse to Homebrew, may I interest you on this great class the Ephemeral Blade made by our very own Eldariel You could go something like Warblade 5/War Mind 2/Ephemeral Blade 10/Warblade +3 .

That would give you full War Mind manifesting, IL 19 full BAB, and some extremely nice teleport options, now you would have to stick to Diamond mind school wise, but it is considered one of ( if no the) best disciplines AFAIK
    That looks really cool, but I no longer get Sweeping Strike. Ah well, this is cooler. Problem is, regaining Psionic Focus is a move action... Oh wait, Instant Clarity.

Hmm, okay. So, I can move (perhaps with a rush), make a strike, lose Psionic Focus to use a power on the guy I just struck, and take a swift to regain Psionic Focus. Next turn, either I do it again or I full attack and regain maneuvers. Rinse and repeat, until I run out of PP (I'll leave one or two PP so I can still use psionic feats). Then, same thing minus using powers.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2010-12-24 at 11:47 AM.