New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Aurora I: New Light in the Darkness

A few days later, Eglarast finally smacks his player around for being lazy and makes her post returns to Aurora HQ.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ogre in the Playground

A white tendril is looking for Grace.
    If you need me somewhere, don't hesitate to PM me. I have bad mental health days sometimes, so if I vanish that's probably why. PMs will help break me out of that.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    Digimon: Recollections (OoC)
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars (OoC)
    ~~~~~
    Kyoko-atar by Coronalwave

3. - Top - End - #873
    Titan in the Playground

Oh look, there's Grace. She's sitting on a bench.

This makes a fourth clone of her in continuity, but given that she hasn't been particularly active, this is probably just making up for lost time.
    "Good morning."
    She says to Eglarast, a smile on her face as she reaches over for a folder.
    "Have you found anything of interest?"

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ogre in the Playground

The tendril flies over to Grace. "You do not know of how the rings work, correct?"
    If you need me somewhere, don't hesitate to PM me. I have bad mental health days sometimes, so if I vanish that's probably why. PMs will help break me out of that.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    ~~~~~

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

The white tendril will likely find itself unable to enter Aurora in the first place. As you cannot teleport directly in, and it assaulted one of her members in an extremely irrational manner, the doors of Aurora are unlikely to open to it.

It may, however, find itself addressed by SAM outside the doors if it persists. We'll assume it does so.
    "Grace is indeed performing an investigation as to the source and method to the power of the rings. Of what interest is this to you?"
    SAM asks, it's voice monotone and lacking any human warmth.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ogre in the Playground

"As the mother of the ring builders I thought it would be valuable knowledge. Also my agents heard Grace wanted this knowledge." The tendril swishes around.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    ~~~~~

7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground

"What motivation prompts you to give away this knowledge?"
    Inquires SAM dispassionately.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ogre in the Playground

"I just want my rings to be used properly." The tendril twitches
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    ~~~~~

9. - Top - End - #879
    Titan in the Playground

"You may present your information."
    States SAM.

An illusion of Grace appears nearby, projected by SAM's interface. It is obviously illusory, so it is apparently not a deception... just a safety measure.
    "Good morning."
    Grace says politely.
    "I am afraid that due to circumstances I cannot allow you within our building, but perhaps I might offer a walk on the grounds instead, while we speak?"

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ogre in the Playground

"Of course. You are a green, correct?" ((deadtime for about an hour.))
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    ~~~~~

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

"You might say that."
    Grace allows.
    "I do possess a green ring."

12. - Top - End - #882
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Psi opens the door and enters the building,leaving the door open behind her. She approaches Grace. "Return to headquarters confirmed. Now awaiting further interface."

13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground

The door swiftly closes behind Psi, as SAM shuts it.

"Your report is appreciated, Psi."
    Grace says, her legs crossed as she looks over her notes.
    "You're helping me confirm my decision. I would, however, appreciate if you could focus your research on one particular aspect, which I believe will crack open the truth behind them."
    Grace pulls a ring from her pocket and spins it in her hand.
    "The source of this advice. Is it specifically the rings? Is there more to it than just advice? And is it also the source of the ring's power?"
    The ring in her hands glows orange as she looks at it.
    "I already have evidence that these things manipulate their users. The orange rings, in particular, are quite obvious in this respect, increasing the greed of the wearer to an insatiable level. And I have seen the white ring users be urged into violent and absurd actions against those wearing the black.
    "I confess, the purpose behind this investigation is not merely to learn about the rings, but to determine if they are a threat to the user's free will and capability for rational judgment. What are your thoughts on that, Psi?"

14. - Top - End - #884

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    The door swiftly closes behind Psi, as SAM shuts it.

"Your report is appreciated, Psi."
    Grace says, her legs crossed as she looks over her notes.
    "You're helping me confirm my decision. I would, however, appreciate if you could focus your research on one particular aspect, which I believe will crack open the truth behind them."
    Grace pulls a ring from her pocket and spins it in her hand.
    "The source of this advice. Is it specifically the rings? Is there more to it than just advice? And is it also the source of the ring's power?"
    The ring in her hands glows orange as she looks at it.
    "I already have evidence that these things manipulate their users. The orange rings, in particular, are quite obvious in this respect, increasing the greed of the wearer to an insatiable level. And I have seen the white ring users be urged into violent and absurd actions against those wearing the black.
    "I confess, the purpose behind this investigation is not merely to learn about the rings, but to determine if they are a threat to the user's free will and capability for rational judgment. What are your thoughts on that, Psi?"
    Psi stands in front of Grace and makes no attempt to sit. "According to research, the source of the 'Power Rings''s power is the users themselves.

Research also confirms that Rings are different. Red rings, for example, advice their users only for destruction, anger, and hatred. Yellow Rings require fear to work. Blue Rings, Green Rings, Indigo Rings, and Violet Rings are deemed safe. Research is pending on White Rings and Black Rings.

Assesing situation. Determining appropriate course of action. Eliminating the use of Red, Orange and Yellow is suggested."

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm not so sure about the others, either. Even the green ring I was given attempted to compel me to perform a certain act."
    Grace considers the ring in her hand with wariness.
    "Even now, I just don't feel we know enough. If the source of their power is truly the wielder, why do they need an outside source to recharge them, for example?"

16. - Top - End - #886

"Analyzing. Accessing data. Confirmed. That is irrelevant," says Psi. "By basic laws of physics, energy is neither created nor destroyed. External energy is required."

It should be noted that being Psi, she is constantly hearing "suggestions" and "advice" in her mind, coming from herself, so she can' see why it's all bad that people should be hearing them as well. After all, that helps control our actions, right?

"Assesing situation. Current advice: Not disposing of the rings is suggested. Sealing away at least the red, yellow and orange rings is also suggested."

17. - Top - End - #887
    Titan in the Playground

"And if I told you I think I could provide an alternate set of rings with a known power source that provided no mental input, but were otherwise nearly identical in function... would your advice differ?"
    Grace asks, closing her hand around the ring as she watches Psi.

18. - Top - End - #888

"Overwriting information. Completed. In that case, sealing away all rings is suggested. Destruction of rings is highly disencouraged."

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

Grace smiles and nods in agreement.
    "I reached the same conclusion. I did, however, leave out one of the main perks..."
    She reaches in her pocket, and draws out what appears to be a small marble.
    "The new rings can gain increasing potential under conditions I set. With this system, each member can receive a ring to start with, and be rewarded power as they prove themselves.
    "Such potential can also be retracted, in the case of someone going rogue or under other circumstances. With this, I provide incentives to join and to continue acting, while simultaneously controlling those who would seek to join up just to gain power before leaving."

"And speaking of incentives, catch."
    Grace tosses the marble to Psi.
    "I'm pleased with the job you did."
    The marble, upon Psi's touch, will reshape itself into a ring, with a design suited to her nature. It will faintly glow with a color suited to her as well, resonating with her personality.
    Unlike the Lantern rings, it is not limited to a set spectrum of emotions or colors- but rather, adapts itself to whatever strengths Psi displays.

20. - Top - End - #890

Psi reaches out and catches the ring. "Confirmed. 'Ring' determined to be Unit's property." The ring shapes and takes a light blue. "Overwriting status within 'Aurora' information. Complete.

Unit will await further instructions or else continue with research."

21. - Top - End - #891
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    Oh look, there's Grace. She's sitting on a bench.

This makes a fourth clone of her in continuity, but given that she hasn't been particularly active, this is probably just making up for lost time.
    "Good morning."
    She says to Eglarast, a smile on her face as she reaches over for a folder.
    "Have you found anything of interest?"
    Eglarast is about to answer when Psi enters, and he politely waits while she gives her report. (Since Vael confirmed that Grace wouldn't have asked him to leave.)

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

22. - Top - End - #892
    Titan in the Playground

"Actually, I think I have a few new tasks for both of you."
    Grace says, smiling at Psi and Eglarast.
    "We can put the study of Lantern rings on the backburner for now, but before I get into new things, lets tie up the old. Eglarast? How is your investigation coming?"

23. - Top - End - #893

"Understood. Now tableing research on 'Power Rings' until further information is required. Temporarily terminating experiment. Completed."

24. - Top - End - #894
    Troll in the Playground

((Now Edited))

Eglarast sits up ramrod straight and delivers his report. "I discovered a human looking male matching the description of the assassin a few nights ago at Trog's. He was drinking openly, with no attempt at concealment or apparent fear of reprisals. I did not approach the subject, but spoke to others who told me that his name is Xavier and that he has been to Trog's several times in the last few months. In those times, he has shown a propensity towards instigating violence, and has demonstrated the rapid regeneration which you have observed."

(Actually I can't remember offhand if Grace observed it. If not, edit the sentence appropriately.)

"I then consulted one of the lore-keepers of my people and learned that a man matching that description and known as Xavier was active in the Nexus a few years ago. At that time, he frequented the Taverna Generica, and instigated violence while his regeneration allowed him to escape the logical consequences. He was one of the many lovers of an unstable psychic known as Alek. During one apocalyptic season, he fought against one apocalypse, and in favour of another. His name is linked with the Brightheart artifact, a strong positive energy generating orb which is now believed extinct. Eventually he went into a wine shop owned by a powerful human wizard named Tessa and did not emerged. It was believed that she either killed or imprisoned him, until his recent return to the Nexus."

"In conclusion, though there is no direct proof that the assassin, the man at Trog's, and the man remembered by the Lore-Keeper are the same, it seems a rational inference to draw based on the similarities in appearance, personality, and abilities."
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2011-01-29 at 06:21 PM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

25. - Top - End - #895
    Titan in the Playground

"Very thorough work, Eglarast."
    Grace says, her voice pleased and approving.
    "That information is quite good to have. Tell me- are there any things that would cause you to doubt the connection between the two, or do you feel all we need is one piece of hard proof to be certain it was him?"

26. - Top - End - #896
    Troll in the Playground

"You may be aware that one of the peculiarities of the Nexus is a phenomenon where multiple versions of what is ostensibly the same person come into existence with differing backgrounds, personalities, and relationships. In essence, this would be a unique individual, though with the same name and appearance. The origins can vary from a long lost twin, an imposter, a dimensional counterpart, or a time line divergence."

"Of course this differs from Spontaneous Multiplication, which is a case where the same individual exists in different places in the same time, usually as a productivity technique."

"I am inclined to believe that the assassin and Xavier of Trog's are the same individual. The evidence linking him to the previous Xavier of the Taverna is less conclusive, but still persuasive. Given the brashness he has displayed, I believe that he would himself cheerfully confirm his background if asked, though probably whilst attempting to stab the asker."

Eglarast, you realize if you're always this long-winded you aren't going to get as much screen time as characters who require less energy to play, don't you?

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

Grace nods.
    "A possibility to consider, but I do think it is an unlikely one. But very well done, Eglarast. If there is anything you ever wish from us, you only need ask.
    "Now, however, there are some other things that I think need attending to. If both of you are willing, I'd very much appreciate your help."

She stands and goes to one of the many white boards, tapping her pen on it.
    "First and foremost, as capable as you both are proving yourselves to be- and, forgive my ego, as capable as I am- we still have a decided lack of members. As such, I think a recruitment campaign is in order. Advertise our presence, that we are recruiting, and our new ring method- make it clear that in helping us, someone has the capability to expand and increase their powers and status, and make Nexus a safer and more hospitable place. Advertise that we are not just allies in war, but in peace and times of trouble. People from all walks of life can join us.
    "While I think the basics that should go into this campaign are obvious, I would appreciate any input or suggestions either of you have."

The board has numerous lines of text being drawn over it. A heading- "Recruitment," along with bullets under it specifying that there should be an emphasis of the rewards Aurora has to offer successful members, a large number of posters and active participation in advertisement by current members and associates.
    Also, at the bottom there seems to be a bullet entitled "Rave," without any kind of explanation.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Troll in the Playground

Eglarast thinks. And sadly, comes up with nothing. Creativity is not his strong point, nor is publicity. The entire shtick of the Ostari is traditionalism and secrecy.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

The tendril produces this image
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    "These are my children. They are what power the rings."
    Last edited by lord pringle; 2011-01-29 at 08:43 PM.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    ~~~~~

30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground

So... Grace's ring was powered by a giant, winged, toothless shark.
    Good to know, if a little perplexing and worrying.
    "I see. How do they do so?"