Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Tiniere's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montréal QC
    Gender
    Male

    Default 4e Fighter, About Stances?

    Hello, a bit late to the whole realm of fourth edition shinanegans, my DnD group has finally agreed to at least give fouth a shot. However, we are having a bit of trouble understanding some of the fighter's class features, the major confusions is concerning...

    Stances: Stances appear to be mentioned in a lot of content, Heroes of the Fallen Lands and the Essentials Dungeon Master kit being two that' I've noticed. However, I can't actually find anything about stances in the players handbook. I was wondering if someone could help me out either by directing me to where they are discussed or by giving an explanation here.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    The Lord of the Rings
    Farewell speech of Bilbo Baggins, Chapter 'A Long-Expected Party'.

    Many thanks to onasuma and Dark Elf Bard for the adorable avatar!


  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 4e Fighter, About Stances?

    Quick version:
    you can only have one stance active at a time.
    they last until the end of combat unless otherwise specified.

    Honestly, that's really it.
    Last edited by Blackfang108; 2010-12-25 at 11:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ninja_penguin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Did you get to see Mos-

    Default Re: 4e Fighter, About Stances?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackfang108 View Post
    Quick version:
    you can only have one stance active at a time.
    they last until the end of combat unless otherwise specified.

    Honestly, that's really it.
    Addendum: If you go unconscious, your stance ends, I think.
    Spoiler
    Show

    "Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."


    "It all seemed harmless..."

    Character Roster:

    Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    WitchSlayer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location

    Default Re: 4e Fighter, About Stances?

    Quote Originally Posted by ninja_penguin View Post
    Addendum: If you go unconscious, your stance ends, I think.
    It would be funny to watch a fighter keep his stance while he's unconscious

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 4e Fighter, About Stances?

    Quote Originally Posted by ninja_penguin View Post
    Addendum: If you go unconscious, your stance ends, I think.
    I'm not sure if that's specifically stated. It's been a while since I've had to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 4e Fighter, About Stances?

    It's mentioned in the list of "Keyword Categories" in the Player's Handbook.
    Last edited by Vitruviansquid; 2010-12-26 at 05:18 AM.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OracleofWuffing's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: 4e Fighter, About Stances?

    Quote Originally Posted by WitchSlayer View Post
    It would be funny to watch a fighter keep his stance while he's unconscious
    Presuming you have 999 swords, it shouldn't be too difficult.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tengu_temp's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 4e Fighter, About Stances?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiniere View Post
    Stances appear to be mentioned in a lot of content, Heroes of the Fallen Lands and the Essentials Dungeon Master kit being two that' I've noticed. However, I can't actually find anything about stances in the players handbook.
    This is because Essentials is not the same thing as core 4e. The fighter in the former has different stances as a class feature instead of powers.

    Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show





  9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default Re: 4e Fighter, About Stances?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    This is because Essentials is not the same thing as core 4e. The fighter in the former has different stances as a class feature instead of powers.
    Except that Stances work exactly the same in Essentials. Fighters just get them as at-wills in Essentials, and pretty much only as Dailies in Core.

    Anyway, check the glossary of keywords in whichever source you have.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •