New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Unarmed Swordsage

I am planning to build for my net character in a campaign an unarmed swordsage, though the wording of the swordsage itself is a bit strange in the ToB.

Can anyone explain to me what you lose and what you get for a bonus if you pick the unarmed swordsage route?
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

Lewis Carroll

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Unarmed Swordsage

As written, you get monk's damage die progression for unarmed strikes, and you lose light armour proficiency.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Keep in mind that, RAW, you can take Light Armour Proficiency, either by class or feat, and still maintain the Wis bonus to AC the Swordsage gets at level 2... a DM might interpret that you only keep the Wis to AC when unarmoured, like a Monk. But the rules don't explicitly say this. They also say that, while you get the Monk's unarmed damage progression, you don't receive the feat Improved Unarmed Strike like a Monk does.

So keep in mind that the class variant requires a bit of extra rules interpretation. I would rule that you get Improved Unarmed Strike but lose Wis to AC when wearing any armour.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

UASS should certainly get IUS. (Otherwise, it's just stupid: you have a character with a monk's damage progression for unarmed strikes, but he is not treated as armed, he triggers AoOs whenever he tries to use unarmed strikes, and he deals only nonlethal damage unless he takes -4 on attacks.)

Whether you adopt Goatboy's houserule and deny Wis to AC while wearing any armor is up to you, and depends on your perception of the UASS. That rule probably makes sense, if you want the UASS as a "fix" to the monk class. To my knowledge, however, the common practice is to give all 2nd level+ SS (unarmed or not) Wis to AC in light or no armor.

(RAW, SS have Wis to AC only in light armor, but most see this as an oversight, including, I believe, the Sage.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

RAW has already been stated.

RAI - imo, it's "treat as monk for purposes of AC and unarmed strike, but not flurry or other class features".

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I'd like to add that the Unarmed Swordsage is in the adaptation section, which, in my opinion, makes it more like an idea you could try to sell to your DM than an actual rules text.

A very good idea, but it isn't finished. You and the DM need to work out the kinks.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

In short try to let your DM say what's allowed and what's not.

Well in that case I think a normal swordsage would be better. Still thanks for the answers
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

Lewis Carroll