A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [PNU] Penumbra OOC Thread

Duality.
    Hot and cold, hard and soft, dull and sharp, light and heavy, wet and dry, and of course Light and Dark.

Light. A thing of brightness and vibrance, a thing of energy and warmth. A thing of harshness, even burning, scouring, scathing---if not moderated.

Darkness. A thing of shade and patience, a thing of calm and cool. But if not tempered, it is a thing of ruthlessness, plotting, devious machinations.

These two opposites cooperate to form balance and goodness. Day brings light for work and play, doing and seeing and finding. Night brings calming dark for rest and relaxation, thinking and reflecting and preparing.

Esande, goddess of light and Carrion, goddess of dark; these two beings were chosen to fill the emptied thrones of the previous deities of brightness and shade, who had slain each other in a senseless war.
    And when they sealed a pact of peace with a heartfelt embrace, there was much rejoicing.

They brought about their own orders to aid the world; Esande formed the Illuminators, ones who would learn to wield light for goodness. Carrion created the Night Watch, soldiers for good who armed themselves with darkness.

In the Year 926, the organizations were abruptly cut off from their goddesses.
    They were shocked and afraid, but persevered. It would not be right, they agreed, to drop this whole thing and leave. No, for they had their commandments and tenets and their powers of light and shadow. But between the organizations, what had been a friendly rivalry began to fester and decay. By the Year 931, a bitter animosity had grown between them. Each worked for good, but the cooperation of years past had gone.

It is the Year 932. The Illuminators and the Night Watch will soon have to learn once again how to fight side-by-side, for a force of evil is ending its long journey... in their world.
    ... So yeah. Two factions, light and dark, which have to work past a bitter rivalry to take down an insidious threat to their world.

Each faction could perhaps contain sorta priest/priestessy characters (focusing more on the use of their abilities) and paladin-tastic characters (augmenting their physical skills with their faction's ability).
    'Cause there'd be some butt to kick alright.

Time period/tech level may be determined by player response, but likely will be low-ish, sort of medieval but with its own style.

For Darkwielding, powers would probably be like...
    Create areas of darkness, use darkness to block things, etc... also possibly enhancing fear. And, of course, night vision. And maybe some sort of healy thing.

Lightwielding, maybe, could be more offensive than defensive. Blinding with light rays, hot light rays, light blades on hands, etc. Also possibly, like, focusing light a bunch to start a fire, which would be useful.

This is a thread for expressing interest, raising questions, making suggestions. Feel free to do so!
    Lil Shiro and I are the ones behind it all.

Character Sheet:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Name:
    Race:
    Faction: Illuminator, Night Watch, Haze (only allowed through request to me), unaffiliated, etc.
    Appearance:
    Equipment/Abilities:
    Other:
    Last edited by Beans; 2011-01-02 at 02:35 PM.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: FFRP Characters
    Show

Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Penumbra Interest/Preliminary Discussion Thread.

And by "Me and Lil Shiro" he means he did all the work. I just invited people and asked helpful questions.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Penumbra Interest/Preliminary Discussion Thread. (Needs Players)

Playing a night watchmen sounds fun. but who watches them?
    If you need me somewhere, don't hesitate to PM me. I have bad mental health days sometimes, so if I vanish that's probably why. PMs will help break me out of that.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    Digimon: Recollections (OoC)
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars (OoC)
    ~~~~~
    Kyoko-atar by Coronalwave

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Would your character be more paladin-ish or priest-ish? That is, more physical or more elemental/magical/you get it.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

More magical. Fighter by training but not by personality. Or a combat mage.
    If you need me somewhere, don't hesitate to PM me. I have bad mental health days sometimes, so if I vanish that's probably why. PMs will help break me out of that.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    Digimon: Recollections (OoC)
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars (OoC)
    ~~~~~
    Kyoko-atar by Coronalwave

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

What system is this?

Can you put the Big 16 up?

7. - Top - End - #7

It's freeform. Me and Beans don't know how to play DnD. Not very well at least.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

This isn't really based on any system.

The IC and OOC threads will ultimately go in FFRP, but I thought it necessary to put the recruitment/interest/etc thread in the Recruitment section.

If that was wrong, I apologize for any inconvenience.
    Last edited by Beans; 2010-12-28 at 11:14 PM.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    This isn't really based on any system.

The IC and OOC threads will ultimately go in FFRP, but I thought it necessary to put the recruitment/interest/etc thread in the Recruitment section.

If that was wrong, I apologize for any inconvenience.
    It's all good Beans.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

...Huh. Fascinating.

I'm curious of this. I'll watch from afar before posting interest, however.

I will ask this. Are there other forms of magic besides (element)wielding?
    How is my roleplaying? Feel free to send me thoughts and/or constructive criticism.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    ...and now I'm imagine Yoda as a DJ. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    We've already got a perfectly rational explanation. We don't need to get Ponies involved.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by InyutheBeatIs View Post
    ...Huh. Fascinating.

Hmmm... You'll have to wait for Beans' reply on this one but I'd have to say that there may be small, tiny factions for other elements, or if not, there is always The Haze.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InyutheBeatIs View Post
    ...Huh. Fascinating.

There are. That's a good point, actually---not everyone has to be a member of the Illuminators and Night Watch, though I'd like there to be a reasonable number of them in those organizations. The forms of magic you'd find in DnD and such are present, but less prevalent than Light/Darkwielding.

Other elements are actually sort of kind of grouped with Light and Dark; Fire and Air are closer to Light while Earth and Water are closer to Dark. The wielding of those elements is less-studied than Light and Dark, but a character who has devoted him/herself to studying a subordinate element and is adept in its use would work.

The Haze is our antagonist faction and I will, at least to begin with, limit Haze-aligned characters. Probably PM requests will be how you get one, because there's stuff I need to explain to Haze people and all that.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Even if it isn't using any particular system, that Large Sixteen does answer a lot of people's questions. One of mine ---> Can you give us an idea of what we should be going for? You type that we can play some light or dark power-wielding mages or paladin types and that there will be buttocks to strike. Grand. So, should one expect to make a character that will be ordered by his superiors to join a well-rounded party that aims wrenches at the plans of their mysterious enemies?

My guess at the enemies ---> Shadow dudes, with the powers of light and darkness! Or mayhaps ---> Blind dudes with awesome other senses that think that these visually-oriented powered dudes are no match for the power of smell!

Ah, anyways, that was a tangent. Another question ---> It is mostly a medieval setting. Just humans, or just generic fantasy stuff, or is originality allowed?
    You're either an Outcast, or you're in denial.
    Strength and stupidity in numbers.

- Myself

Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Party Formation/ETC: Probably not. The superiors are too caught up in the animosity between organizations to work together, even when the Haze rears its head. It is likely that there will be some sort of "meet up at (location)" message that gets passed around through the orgs as some of the regular members realize that without interorganizational cooperation, everyone's screwed.

Enemies: The Haze wields neither Light nor Darkness. They are not shadow creatures, nor are they a bunch of superpowered blind guys.

Races: Creativity is great, but it is preferred that the races are generally humanoid.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Beansiekins? Should we use our four characters as examples? (2 goddesses + 2 followers = 4 Characters)
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Party Formation slash I don't know what E. T. C. stands for: Got it. Sounds as if you'd be looking for proactive players. There won't be clear cut roles or objectives. Our characters should know at least a bit of the deal and should be working to kill all horrible and obviously irredeemable Haze types.

Enemies: Dang. oh well. Yay mysteriousness!

Races: Dang. oh well. I'll use my magma-dwelling lobster race some other time, I suppose.

Anyways, yes, some character examples would be awesome. I'll continue to watch this.
    You're either an Outcast, or you're in denial.
    Strength and stupidity in numbers.

- Myself

Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Shiro View Post
    Beansiekins? Should we use our four characters as examples? (2 goddesses + 2 followers = 4 Characters)
    Technically our goddesses don't really play a part in person, at least not to start with.

But let me get Ilja ready and I'll show 'em.

Yeah, they'll have to just sort of learn to work together. Because the Haze is (and don't spoil anything for 'em, Shiro) a pretty potent force.

As for races... basically, let me say this: we can get crazier later. So the magma lobsters aren't totally cut out. Just delayed.

Ilja Landers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Name: Ilja Landers
    Race: Arisnic
    Faction/Class Thinggy: Illuminator Priestess
    Appearance:
    Equipment/Abilities: Lightwielding powers. Light rays, small light blades, etc.
    Last edited by Beans; 2010-12-31 at 03:53 PM.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

...Don't ever give up on the Magma Lobsters. Ever.
    How is my roleplaying? Feel free to send me thoughts and/or constructive criticism.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    ...and now I'm imagine Yoda as a DJ. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    We've already got a perfectly rational explanation. We don't need to get Ponies involved.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Added an example in my previous post.

Also, symbols are fun.
    Esande.

Carrion.

The Haze.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Penumbra Interest/Preliminary Discussion Thread. (Needs Players)

Iiiiiinteresting. It's quite a world you two have build here, I already want to know more.

So, characters are of any race vaguely* humanoid? Any thoughts to how that works? Are there just a number of races or will some be mutants or magically changed? Will evolution be sped up such tht a fish-man's grandchild could be toad-esque? Just pretend I keep asking questions and that some of them are relevant

*As in gills, feathers and weird eye colours. Having seven limbs do not count as vaguely in this post.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Iiiiiinteresting. It's quite a world you two have build here, I already want to know more.

So, characters are of any race vaguely* humanoid? Any thoughts to how that works? Are there just a number of races or will some be mutants or magically changed? Will evolution be sped up such tht a fish-man's grandchild could be toad-esque? Just pretend I keep asking questions and that some of them are relevant

*As in gills, feathers and weird eye colours. Having seven limbs do not count as vaguely in this post.
    I have no idea how to answer that. I'll give you guys my example soon.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Genkai Aldaro:

She is totally human (so unlike Beans I don't have to describe her race), and is a paladin of Carrion. She is also captain of the second fighting unit. In battle she just brings out the kickass on her enemies. She tends to be a sarcastic person who isn't always the first person you'd want to see. She doesn't trust anyone who isn't of the Night Watch. She is very faithful to her goddess, even to a kind of creepy extent.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post

I'll answer your questions backward.
    Evolution: Everyone evolves to ducks eventually.
    Mutant/Magic: ... You wanna give your race a backstory of being mutant or magic-created, go aheaaaaaaaaad, broski.
    How that works: They's peeple. They's do stuff.
    Vaguely Humanoid: Yeah.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Posting interest. How about technological levels? If I wanted to be a steampunk technomage of some source, would it work?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leahn Novash View Post
    Posting interest. How about technological levels? If I wanted to be a steampunk technomage of some source, would it work?
    As stated above, tech levels are fairly low. Medieval type stuff. So a steampunk technomage would not really work.

Clockwork, gear-based tech exists but is not very prevalent. People haven't used it for much more than, well, clocks, and they haven't been able to make anything smaller than a grandfather clock.
    Last edited by Beans; 2010-12-29 at 10:35 AM.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #26

I lied. Sorry 'bout that.
    Last edited by Viera Champion; 2010-12-29 at 06:35 PM.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh. Liar.

If anyone wants to post their character ideas, be my guest.

Except, y'know, that one, Shiro.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I have an idea for a race:

Take the basic frame of an Arisnic, enlarge the lungs, shorten the chest, lengthen the legs, and collapse the waist into a more wasp-waisted form. Cover in tiny, hard, scales in shades of white, brown, or yellow, and cut off two outside fingers. Attach a muscular tail, about 4 feet long, to the base of the spine. That is a decent approximation of a Sirrach (the plural is Sirrachi).

They are hardier, more agile, but also physically weaker than humans. Despite their appearance, they are warm-blooded. They do not get short of breath very easily, due to their large lung capacity. Sirrachi are incapable of growing hair. The most noticable difference between male and female sirrachi is that the unique scale patterns across the body of males are generally black if they aren't just a darker shade of the predominant color, while the females tend to have red patterns.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds pretty cool. I have no problems with it. Yay!
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Moved this to FFRP by request of the OP. Enjoy, kids!
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!